PDA

View Full Version : Pick your horse

34rancher
04-24-2002, 02:40 AM
Who will reach the top ten in career strikeouts faster (1730 to tie):

1. SamMEMEMEMEMEME (Current total 1705)

Or

2. Fred "The only crime this dog smells is how bad the cubs suck" McGriff (Current total 1708)

Place your bets

voodoochile
04-24-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by 34rancher

Or

2. Fred "The only crime this dog smells is how bad the cubs suck" McGriff (Current total 1708)

Place your bets

Got to go with ShamMEMEMEMEMEMEME. As the flubbies fall further off the pace, he will have nothing else to do but swing for the fences. McGriff at least has some pride...

FarWestChicago
04-24-2002, 02:53 AM
:shammy

I'm the MAN! This is about individual stats. I'm gonna win!

PANFIRECRACKER
04-24-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher

Or

Place your bets

It's ShamME by a nose. He's not getting enough ink from the media yet. He must have the strikeout record as well as all HR records to complete his career.

Soxheads
04-24-2002, 03:45 PM
I have to believe Sammy will get there first, and it will be with 2 outs in the ninth, with a runner on third, and the Cubs down by 1.

-headstradamus

cheeses_h_rice
04-24-2002, 03:55 PM
With just 25 Ks left for Sham-ME to move into the top 10, I'll give him 14 games to do it. May 8 against St. Louis, at home.

You can do it, Sham-ME! We know you can!

(By the way, the list:)

1. Reggie Jackson* 2597
2. Jose Canseco 1942
3. Willie Stargell* 1936
4. Mike Schmidt* 1883
5. Tony Perez* 1867
6. Andres Galarraga 1858
7. Dave Kingman 1816
8. Bobby Bonds 1757
9. Dale Murphy 1748
10. Lou Brock* 1730

cheeses_h_rice
05-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Bored at work today, so I did some research on this race.

Right, now McGriff has 1722 career Ks vs. Sham-ME's 1720.

It's a true footrace to reach that pantheon of whiffers! Only 8 more for the Crime Poodle and 10 for the Shamster!

dougs78
05-17-2002, 01:40 PM
I'll take Fred since they don't call him Mc"Whiff" for nothing. However, wouldn't it be great if they both struck out back to back to end a game? Then they could put that story on the front page of the tribune about how sammy and fred have another record in the books!!!

CerberusWG
05-17-2002, 01:43 PM
AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!

I say Sosa whiffs, then McGriff ties him next AB with a whiff.

raul12
05-17-2002, 02:19 PM
i say shammie. he's only going to get more washed up as he tries to break hank aaron's record in vain.

Iwritecode
05-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Two more bets you could take are who will end up with more for their career (probably Shammy since he is younger) and where exactly will each fall on the list when they retire? I thinking that Shammy has a good chance to move all the way up to #2.
:)

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by raul12
i say shammie. he's only going to get more washed up as he tries to break hank aaron's record in vain.

more washed up?

huh?

Max Power
05-17-2002, 03:02 PM
McGriff at least has some pride

He chose to play for the Devil Rays and the Cubs...is there any greater shame?

I'll take Sosa.

As the flubbies fall further off the pace, he will have nothing else to do but swing for the fences.

Well said. He's got to keep those "fans" coming out to Wrigley.

raul12
05-17-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

more washed up?

huh?

are you saying "huh?" about what washed up means or are you disagreeing with the fact that he's not already on his way to being washed up?

if the latter, you have a point if you look at his statistics (home runs) alone, but consider his attitude and his lack of team perspective, and i think you get the point. if the former, it means "over the hill". sorry about any confusion...

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 03:14 PM

are you saying "huh?" about what washed up means or are you disagreeing with the fact that he's not already on his way to being washed up?

if the latter, you have a point if you look at his statistics (home runs) alone, but consider his attitude and his lack of team perspective, and i think you get the point. if the former, it means "over the hill". sorry about any confusion...

Wood spoke out in St. Louis about the Cubs' lack of passion and reiterated those sentiments Thursday during an interview on WMVP-AM 1000.

"If we got half as ready as Sammy Sosa did for a game, we'd be a lot better off," he said. "Guys should just take a look at No. 21 in the clubhouse and see how he prepares."

Um, I'll go along with Wood, I don't see how Sammy has a "lack of team perspective" I don't even know what that means, sounds like a gross generalization that is baseless.

raul12
05-17-2002, 03:22 PM

Wood spoke out in St. Louis about the Cubs' lack of passion and reiterated those sentiments Thursday during an interview on WMVP-AM 1000.

"If we got half as ready as Sammy Sosa did for a game, we'd be a lot better off," he said. "Guys should just take a look at No. 21 in the clubhouse and see how he prepares."

Um, I'll go along with Wood, I don't see how Sammy has a "lack of team perspective" I don't even know what that means, sounds like a gross generalization that is baseless.

i'm not in the mood to argue, but just b/c he prepares doesn't mean he's focused on winning. in most of sammy's comment's/interviews, how often does he talk about the fact that they lost? not often. if players on the cubs team got half as pissed-off as kerry wood about losing, they'd be a lot better team.

team perspective--means situational hitting. doing the little things like advancing the runner to third when he's on second with no outs, etc.

cheeses_h_rice
05-17-2002, 03:26 PM

team perspective--means situational hitting. doing the little things like advancing the runner to third when he's on second with no outs, etc.

"Sit-choo-a-shun-al hit-ting? What's that?"

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 03:33 PM

i'm not in the mood to argue, but just b/c he prepares doesn't mean he's focused on winning. in most of sammy's comment's/interviews, how often does he talk about the fact that they lost? not often. if players on the cubs team got half as pissed-off as kerry wood about losing, they'd be a lot better team.

When Sammy gets angry, as when he took his team to task earlier this season and smashed a load of gatorade coolers in the clubhouse, he gets ridiculed then too. Situational hitting? I'm sorry, but no manager in their right mind would ask the premier slugger in the game to give up his AB with runners in scoring position, especially considering what's behind Sosa. It ain't exactly Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, and Carlos Lee.

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 03:39 PM
btw, I think McGriff gets there first.

voodoochile
05-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

"Sit-choo-a-shun-al hit-ting? What's that?"

"See, it's like this... When ShamMEMEME is up to bat, the other team knows ShamMEMEME is going to beat them. They know they cannot pitch around ShamMEMEME. They know that men on first, ShamMEMEME will hit the dinger or at least swing so hard the wind knocks the pitcher over. With a man on second, ShamMEMEME will swing just as hard, but this time the wind will cause the flags to stir on the flag poles in left. With a man on third, ShamMEMEME will hit the dinger, because that what the situation - ShamMEMEME hitting a dinger - calls for. ShamMEMEME needs the dingers to keep his public happy, and you know they love ShamMEMEME and his mighty swings. So, whatever the situation, ShamMEMEME must swing for the fences... don't you see?"

:moron
"Now how can you argue with that? I just love it when He speaks. I feel all warm and tingly inside. Tell us again about situational hitting, Your Holiness..."

:chimp
"I'll handle this one... See, the situations are like this... ShamMEMEME hits a zinger and the fans love him, then I get to say zinger a lot and that is a good situation for everyone."

"Hey, Chimp, there is no 'I' in ShamMEMEME. It isn't about your situation, it is about ShamMEMEME's situation, so get your scrawny butt back to the booth, before ShamMEMEME sends a gust of wind over there and blow you down... Now, as ShamMEMEME was saying, the fans love ShamMEMEME because of the dingers. ShamMEMEME's fans must not be disappointed. That would be a bad situation."

:moron
"Isn't he just edible?"

voodoochile
05-17-2002, 03:47 PM

When Sammy gets angry, as when he took his team to task earlier this season and smashed a load of gatorade coolers in the clubhouse, he gets ridiculed then too. Situational hitting? I'm sorry, but no manager in their right mind would ask the premier slugger in the game to give up his AB with runners in scoring position, especially considering what's behind Sosa. It ain't exactly Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, and Carlos Lee.

Give up his atbat? Come on, Vic, you're smarter than that. How about he swings slightly less hard and tries to go to right field instead of swinging from his heels with less than two outs and a runner on second in a one-run game? Sometimes shortening the swing is for the best, because a single is as valuable or more so than a homer at that moment and way more valuable than the K that is twice as likely. Not asking him to bunt, but he always swings for the fences... ALWAYS...

FarWestChicago
05-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Um, I'll go along with Wood, I don't see how Sammy has a "lack of team perspective" I don't even know what that means, sounds like a gross generalization that is baseless. :bluerock

cheeses_h_rice
05-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:bluerock

At least we know which "horse" Vic picked!

:)

Vsahajpal
05-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:bluerock

They're 13-25, I'll start free-basing soon :)