PDA

View Full Version : El Duque?

Optipessimism
02-26-2008, 11:33 AM
MLB Trade Rumors references this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/02/25/monday.scoop/1.html) article from SI that says:

The Mets quietly sought trade offers for Orlando Hernandez late this winter, with the idea that if anyone bit, they would sign Lohse. But apparently there were no takers.

At the moment El Duque is literally hurting from head to toe. He recently revealed that he didn't actually have the bunion removed from his foot that impeded him last year, and that he is due for a root canal, as well. Beyond that, one of these days old age may finally catch up to Hernandez, who's listed as 41.

El Duque is owed $6.5 million this year in the last year of his deal, and it sounds like the Mets want to get rid of him. Uribe makes $4.5 million this year also in the last year of his deal, and the Mets don't have a true backup SS. Since the Sox have Alexei Ramirez capable of subbing at 2B, SS, and CF, and since the Sox also do not have anyone worth a **** competing for the LR spot out of the bullpen, I'd love to see the Sox ask about an El Duque for Uribe deal. If it could be arranged, we'd add $2 million to the payroll, but I think it would be more than worth it to bring in a guy capable of pitching in pressure situations, spot starting, and working at any point in the game either for short or long periods. It wouldn't cost us another spot on the 40-man either, and by the sounds of it, El Duque's aches aren't that serious. Even if he had to sit out for a little while to start the season, we'd be able to bring up someone else for a short while.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

munchman33
02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
In a word: no.

zmz723
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
We got El Duque before the 2005 season!!! And we all know what happened in 2005!!!!

DumpJerry
02-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Anyone else think this would be a good idea?
Well, the root canal should be easy to remedy.

He's hurting from head to toe, claims to be 41 years old, what a can do?

DumpJerry
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
We got El Duque before the 2005 season!!! And we all know what happened in 2005!!!!
Same is true with Chris Widger.

FedEx227
02-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Same is true with Chris Widger.

No way dude, this reasoning is concrete. Exactly what we did in 2005 will clearly work for 2008... bring on Raul Casanova!

spiffie
02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
No way dude, this reasoning is concrete. Exactly what we did in 2005 will clearly work for 2008... bring on Raul Casanova!
Pick up Duque, resign Freddy, and then trade Swisher for Rowand.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I prefer to remember El Duque fondly...

Optipessimism
02-26-2008, 12:12 PM
*sigh*

I knew no one would actually consider something so ridiculous. Masset, Sisco, Ohka, and Haeger are all better than El Duque. They are much better bets to succeed in a difficult role. Broadway is awesome. Wassermann and/or MacDougal can handle working 3+ innings at a time if we need one of them to. Besides, LR is a spot for the weakest link and nothing more. It's nothing we have to worry about because our starters are awesome and will combine for 1000 IP this season. We will never experience bullpen woes. 41-year-old pitchers have never had success in the major leagues before. When people get bunyons and toothaches, the common medical procedure is to take them out back and shoot them with musket. Sorry for creating this thread.

btrain929
02-26-2008, 12:14 PM
When you have Jose Reyes as your SS, you don't spend 4.5 million on your backup SS, period.

getonbckthr
02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think we have the farm system to re-acquire Carl Everett or Willie Harris.

Lukin13
02-26-2008, 12:38 PM
*sigh* Masset, Sisco, Ohka, and Haeger are all better than El Duque.

I'd take my chances w/ Masset and Haegar for free.

Guys like El Duque are available at the deadline if you prefer a vet down the stretch.

ksimpson14
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I find it funny they reference a root canal. Are they that bad? I might be due for one. I just figured they numbed it up, so it didn't feel any different than a filling, and if there was pain after, you can just get some pain relievers?

munchman33
02-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't think we have the farm system to re-acquire Carl Everett or Willie Harris.

:rolling:

Hokiesox
02-26-2008, 01:32 PM

Any way we can sign, then waive Bread and Water?

Foulke You
02-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I'll always love El Duque for his electric performances in the 2005 playoffs but I don't think we need to pay a pitcher 5 million to sit on the DL for 2008. El Duque is listed at 41 but in reality he is more than likely 45 or older. I never get tired of watching that inning in Fenway Park where he stranded the bases loaded but I'd pass on re-acquiring him.

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/duque1007.jpg

"Hocus Pocus says El Duque!" -John Rooney

TheCommander
02-26-2008, 04:52 PM

:ralomar:

"Hey,don't forget about me!"

FedEx227
02-26-2008, 05:00 PM
:ralomar:

"Hey,don't forget about me!"

http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/4294.jpg
"Hey-oh"

cws05champ
02-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, Omar Vizquel just went down for 4-6 weeks...Uribe and Crede to SF makes a hell of a lot more sense, don't you think.

kittle42
02-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, Omar Vizquel just went down for 4-6 weeks...Uribe and Crede to SF makes a hell of a lot more sense, don't you think.

To fill in for an injured SS for 2 weeks or so of the regular season? Nope.

TomBradley72
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I'll always love El Duque. Trading him was the right move after his shoulder probs in 2005 and with his salary level...but I think we've missed him. He helped Contreras and he provided a nice mix as far as team chemistry goes.

I'd like to have him on the staff...but he's not worth more than about $2M...and only if you give up nothing to get him.

michned
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I find it funny they reference a root canal. Are they that bad? I might be due for one. I just figured they numbed it up, so it didn't feel any different than a filling, and if there was pain after, you can just get some pain relievers?

Yeah, that was strange. That might sideline him what, a day or two?

Taliesinrk
02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Most in here are being ridiculous. How is this THAT different from signing Colon??? Besides, most on here are just itching to get rid of Uribe. Makes sense to me. I mean, Danks broke down over the season last year, and as I said with Colon, I think it'd make sense to put some sort of "rotation" out there with three guys that could competently fill the #4 and #5 spots of the rotation (including the LR role, if needed). I mean, he's a proven veteran with big game experience, and could most likely help both Contreras AND Ramirez (hopefully the spelling's o.k. there for Alexi). This also makes the middle INF situation a little bit more clear. To me, it sounds like a decent move, although I think that SF would be alright as well. And... now that I think about it, keeping him wouldn't be so bad either. The bottom line is, however, that this is a fairly rationale, if not good thought/plan.