PDA

View Full Version : Just made a bet with my Flub loving cousin

Risk
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM
I' m not a gambler, especially when it comes to sports b/c it takes the enjoyment out of it, except my cousin had been egging me on since last year to take a gamble against him, so I finally relented and took a bet that I couldn't pass up:

Wins by team:

1) I set the Sox wins at 86, which I feel is an optimistic number without drinking the kool aid. My cousin took the under.
2) My cousin set the Flub wins at 91, and I took the under.

Runs scored:

I said the Sox would score more by the end of the season, cousin took the Cubs.

I think both were fairly reasonable.

Risk

btrain929
02-26-2008, 12:08 PM
The under bets could be a wash. I certainly hope the Sox win about 93 games, it just depends on the back of our rotation. If they suck (hope not), they could be around 80-84 wins.

As far as runs are concerned, right now I'd say the Sox are the favorite, unless Fukudome performs exceptionally well and the Cubs get B.Roberts.

DumpJerry
02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
In my office suite we have a Good Guys vs. Losers bet. Straight up wins. Whomever's team has the best record after 162 games wins. Losers have to take the winners out for lunch.

The Losers seem to feel we're headed to Harry Caray's for lunch. I keep telling them it's Tufano's they will be treating us to for lunch.

One of the Good Guys made a side bet: Sox will sweep the Cubs at Comiskey and take 2 of 3 at Wrigley. Gene and Georgetti's is riding on this one.

rdwj
02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I like your chances. You have a DH, so that's a run advantage. And I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell of the Cubs winning 91.

spiffie
02-26-2008, 12:26 PM
I' m not a gambler, especially when it comes to sports b/c it takes the enjoyment out of it, except my cousin had been egging me on since last year to take a gamble against him, so I finally relented and took a bet that I couldn't pass up:

Wins by team:

1) I set the Sox wins at 86, which I feel is an optimistic number without drinking the kool aid. My cousin took the under.

Runs scored:

Risk
I would probably take the under on the Cubs. But it will be close. As for the Sox, please let me know if you want to keep making that over 86 bet on the Sox for this year :D:

skottyj242
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
One of the Good Guys made a side bet: Sox will sweep the Cubs at Comiskey and take 2 of 3 at Wrigley. Gene and Georgetti's is riding on this one.

So the Sox fan said the Sox will take 5 of 6 from the Cubs and didn't get any odds at all? What an idiot. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I hope you get on the dinner either way. I will take that bet too.

SoxNation05
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
In my office suite we have a Good Guys vs. Losers bet. Straight up wins. Whomever's team has the best record after 162 games wins. Losers have to take the winners out for lunch.

The Losers seem to feel we're headed to Harry Caray's for lunch. I keep telling them it's Tufano's they will be treating us to for lunch.

Order the Calimari.

munchman33
02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
You're probably both wrong. But he's got a better shot than you do. I'd peg the Cubs at about 89 wins in that division. I'd say we're about 79-80.

Before you harp, Vegas has us worse.

Risk
02-26-2008, 05:03 PM
But it will be close. As for the Sox, please let me know if you want to keep making that over 86 bet on the Sox for this year :D:

Sorry Spiff--one bet a year is my limit. :D:

Risk

white sox bill
02-26-2008, 05:09 PM
You're probably both wrong. But he's got a better shot than you do. I'd peg the Cubs at about 89 wins in that division. I'd say we're about 79-80.

Just got back from Vegas--they had bad guys 9-1 and we were 30-1 IIRC

Steelrod
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Just got back from Vegas--they had bad guys 9-1 and we were 30-1 IIRC
I also got back from vegas. Bally had Sox 6/1 AL. 12/1 WS.

white sox bill
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM

I think mine was at where I was staying in Henderson...hope you fared better than me at the slots!!

btrain929
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM

Care to place a wager on that?

munchman33
02-26-2008, 06:28 PM

Our Vegas line for O/U on wins is 77.

munchman33
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Care to place a wager on that?

Smart or not, I never put money against a team I root for. It's bad karma.

getonbckthr
02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Sox wins will be close. You will lose Cub wins and you should win total runs.

Railsplitter
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Runs scored:

Risk

Indeed they are

jdm2662
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I was in Vegas last week. The Mirage had the Sox 10-1 to win the WS.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Me and a herd of dogs could win 85 games in the NL central. I always take that into consideration when placing wagers against my dumb friends.