PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds to TAMPA BAY?????

Fenway
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Geeze why not sign Kenny Lofton too

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/02/25/Rays/Rays_ponder_Bonds_pur.shtml

DumpJerry
02-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Isn't there a pharmacy in Florida with experience in dispensing MLB players their needs?

Sounds like a good match to me!

balke
02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I'll fit this between all the amazing one-liners sure to follow:

Barry Bonds = the best DH in baseball. (if he'll actually play every game now)

This is the kind of move that could potentially make Tampa Bay a +.500 team for once in their franchise history.

getonbckthr
02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Tampa will be over .500 without Bonds. With they will win 88 games.

VenturaFan23
02-25-2008, 02:42 PM
This organization seems to be heading in the right direction finally, so why on earth would they want to do something like this?

munchman33
02-25-2008, 02:52 PM
This organization seems to be heading in the right direction finally, so why on earth would they want to do something like this?

Because a healthy Barry Bonds can add more than 10 wins to your total over the course of a season, even at his age.

Flight #24
02-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd echo munchman. The downside to Barry Bonds is in the clubhouse and PR. The upside is at the plate, and it's significant. For a team like Tampa that already has PR/fan issues, it's probably worth it for them to take the risk there in hopes that adding Bonds over whoever their DH would have been will help them actually contend for a playoff spot for once in their history.

Of course it's odd because they dumped a couple of bad characters this offseason only to add another one. But it certainly improves their win total, and not by a little.

ode to veeck
02-25-2008, 03:18 PM
the other upside is at the gate, it wasn't evident in his last year if SF, but he was carrying them at the gate since Dustry blew the WS some years back

Fenway
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
the other upside is at the gate, it wasn't evident in his last year if SF, but he was carrying them at the gate since Dustry blew the WS some years back

Last year the All Star Game kept the Giants sold out...there could be drastic falloff this year.

balke
02-25-2008, 03:24 PM
A very strange organization there in San Fran. I wonder if they really intend to keep Zito for that money they gave him. Oh yeah he got a full no trade clause. I don't undertand that organization at all. A complete "shut the fans up and keep them happy" mentality it seems like. Stars and not a complete team.

Tekijawa
02-25-2008, 03:36 PM
This is funny because I just read this clip from our very own Rogers this morning abou how he'll enjoy not having Dukes or Young around because of all their off-field Behavior!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6870/news;_ylt=Av0XznrV3dqd7YRrgKxUH.2FCLcF

munchman33
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
This is funny because I just read this clip from our very own Rogers this morning abou how he'll enjoy not having Dukes or Young around because of all their off-field Behavior!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6870/news;_ylt=Av0XznrV3dqd7YRrgKxUH.2FCLcF

Bonds is an ******* and a liar, but to compare him with Dukes is going a little far.

doublem23
02-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Is he going to pitch every 5th day, too?

Maybe the Rays can luck their way to 80-85 wins with Bonds, but he doesn't address the biggest need this organization has had since Day 1.

Foulke You
02-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Because a healthy Barry Bonds can add more than 10 wins to your total over the course of a season, even at his age.
Maybe in the NL West but not the AL East. Even if healthy, I don't see Bonds adding 10 wins to your team. He isn't THAT good. If he was, there would already be teams lining up to sign him despite all the headaches he'd bring.

rdivaldi
02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Maybe the Rays can luck their way to 80-85 wins with Bonds, but he doesn't address the biggest need this organization has had since Day 1.

Tampa trots out a pretty formidable 1-2-3 punch in Kazmir, Shields and Garza.

balke
02-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Haha, how a team who's never been over .420 as a winning percentage is going to luck themselves into an 80-85 win season is beyond me.

40+ hr's and a .500 OBP out of a position on your roster that doesn't play defense is a good way to get started.

They don't have a great pitching staff yet, but let's see if David Price, Garza, and Wheeler + Bonds does anything for them. Kazmir needs help on both sides of the ball.

ode to veeck
02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
A very strange organization there in San Fran. I wonder if they really intend to keep Zito for that money they gave him. Oh yeah he got a full no trade clause. I don't undertand that organization at all. A complete "shut the fans up and keep them happy" mentality it seems like. Stars and not a complete team.

They're becoming the Cubs of San Francisco; yuppie fans love the new ballpark so much, they don't have to put a winning team on the field anymore (like the certainly had to do at freezing cold Windlestick).

munchman33
02-25-2008, 04:45 PM
They're becoming the Cubs of San Francisco; yuppie fans love the new ballpark so much, they don't have to put a winning team on the field anymore (like the certainly had to do at freezing cold Windlestick).

At least they have a reason to love that ballpark so much. It rocks.

Red Barchetta
02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I really hope the Rays don't do this. I know it would guarantee more ticket sales, however at what expense? I live near Sarasota and usually attend about 10 games per season at the Trop and hope to attend more if they get the new ballpark.

I like the direction the new owners have taken the organization and I think signing Bonds would be a step in the wrong direction from a PR and team chemistry standpoint. They need to keep focusing on their youth and developing players and then once they do move out of the dome and into a new ballpark, they can then focus on attracting impact free agents.

Bonds at this point would be Wade Boggs Mach 2 IMO. I would hate to see him pad another 40+ HRs onto his "record".

Garland_IS_God
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I despise the guy, BUT he did have a .400+ on base percentage last year. Somebody was gonna sign him.

Trav
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I really hope the Rays don't do this. I know it would guarantee more ticket sales, however at what expense? I live near Sarasota and usually attend about 10 games per season at the Trop and hope to attend more if they get the new ballpark.

I like the direction the new owners have taken the organization and I think signing Bonds would be a step in the wrong direction from a PR and team chemistry standpoint. They need to keep focusing on their youth and developing players and then once they do move out of the dome and into a new ballpark, they can then focus on attracting impact free agents.

Bonds at this point would be Wade Boggs Mach 2 IMO. I would hate to see him pad another 40+ HRs onto his "record".

I hope Bonds put the record so out of reach no one will ever come close. I think it would be a fitting enough asterisks to Selig's tenure.

Red Barchetta
02-25-2008, 05:44 PM
I hope Bonds put the record so out of reach no one will ever come close. I think it would be a fitting enough asterisks to Selig's tenure.

If he gets two more years in the DH role, another 80-90 HRs is not out of the question. :o:

Navarro's Talent
02-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I can't say I'm surprised that teams want Bonds. Despite the media circus, he will bring a huge presence to any line-up.

PalehosePlanet
02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
If he gets two more years in the DH role, another 80-90 HRs is not out of the question. :o:

He's hit 59 homers over the last 3 years, yet you expect him at ages 44 and 45 to get better and hit 40-45 homers per year?? Not gonna happen; taking his age into account and the fact that he has a bad knee now, he'd be lucky --- real lucky --- to hit 45 in 2 years.

munchman33
02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
He's hit 59 homers over the last 3 years, yet you expect him at ages 44 and 45 to get better and hit 40-45 homers per year?? Not gonna happen; taking his age into account and the fact that he has a bad knee now, he'd be lucky --- real lucky --- to hit 45 in 2 years.

If he doesn't play the field, he could easily amass 400 quality at bats though.

And let's not forget how often he still gets on base. My guess is that if he plays and hits DH, he could come close to 30 bombs with a .450 OBP.

StepsInSC
02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
He may also consider Japan. http://www.metronews.ca/column.aspx?id=108074

As much as this man hates scrutiny and as selfish as he seems in America, how in the world can he think that he might enjoy a trip to Japan?

I smell a Mr. Baseball II.

soxwon
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I'd echo munchman. The downside to Barry Bonds is in the clubhouse and PR. The upside is at the plate, and it's significant. For a team like Tampa that already has PR/fan issues, it's probably worth it for them to take the risk there in hopes that adding Bonds over whoever their DH would have been will help them actually contend for a playoff spot for once in their history.

Of course it's odd because they dumped a couple of bad characters this offseason only to add another one. But it certainly improves their win total, and not by a little.

he would draw, like the sideshow geek in the circus.
Curiosity sake, and he'd produce add another 30-40 hrs over two years to his unbeatable total.

MarySwiss
02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
So anyway, I reported this rumor to a Yankee fan I work with who promptly started bitching about how the Yankees can't beat the DRays. He went on to say that the Yankees could sweep Boston, Cleveland, Chicago--which is where I gave him a "hold it right there, son" alert.

When I threatened to make his e-mail address public to WSI members, he wisely backed off, but where can I get some Sox/Yanks HTH for the past ten years or so, so I can further grind him into the dust? (Nothing personal, Alan!)

pierzynski07
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Make his email public? That's lame.

White Sox vs. Yankees, from 2007 and back:

4 6
2 4
3 3
3 4
4 2
2 4
1 5
8 4
5 7
4 7

Overall, 36-46. He's got ya there.

Brian26
02-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm no fan of Bonds, but I'm a big fan of making the bottom of the AL East a bit more competitive. Anything that keeps Boston and NY from racking up 90 wins with their eyes closed...is a good thing.

Brian26
02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
When I threatened to make his e-mail address public to WSI members, he wisely backed off

You're going to try to subject an innocent co-worker to some sort of internet hazing by making his email public? Thankfully most of the people here are classy enough not to waste their time on something so ridiculous.

Nicest person on WSI. :bs: :kneeslap:

Red Barchetta
02-25-2008, 08:49 PM

True, but last year pitchers didn't want to give in to him due to his record chase. Plus, he will get more at bats as a DH than he did as an OF in the National League. He won't have to take as many days off. I remember he had long stretches last year before he broke the record without a home run.

Also, half his games will be played inside a dome with consistent environment conditions, i.e. no wind, rain, etc.

Lastly, if history repeats itself and the Rays are out of contention by mid-summer, the AL pitchers will probably challenge him more.

munchman33
02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
You're going to try to subject an innocent co-worker to some sort of internet hazing by making his email public? Thankfully most of the people here are classy enough not to waste their time on something so ridiculous.

Nicest person on WSI. :bs: :kneeslap:
Oh he had it coming.

MarySwiss
02-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Make his email public? That's lame.

White Sox vs. Yankees, from 2007 and back:

You're going to try to subject an innocent co-worker to some sort of internet hazing by making his email public?

When am I gonna learn that sarcasm is NEVER obvious enough around here? I sometimes think everything should be in teal!

Fortunately my co-worker realized right away that I was just kidding him. Of course, he's handicapped by the fact that he actually KNOWS me. :rolleyes:

Oh he had it coming.

Thanks! At least someone got it! Sheesh!

TomBradley72
02-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Maybe it's changed the last few seasons...but when I lived out there 2001-2002 I went to many Giants games...they seemed like very smart fans, into the game and knowledgable.

But you're right.....it is such a great location/ballpark that they will still draw well even if the team isn't very good. But I don't think it's because of "Cublike" fans. It's just a spectacular place in an incredible setting.

Risk
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
As much as I can't stand Bonds, doing this deal makes a lot of sense for Tampa Bay. Bonds is getting old and has injury problems (and major character issues), but as a DH he would still be a very good hitter to have in the middle of the line up.

I still don't know if signing Bonds will help TB get to .500, but I pretty sure they won't be .500 without him.

Risk

ode to veeck
02-26-2008, 02:50 PM
When am I gonna learn that sarcasm is NEVER obvious enough around here? I sometimes think everything should be in teal!

Fortunately my co-worker realized right away that I was just kidding him. Of course, he's handicapped by the fact that he actually KNOWS me. :rolleyes:

Thanks! At least someone got it! Sheesh!

How do you speak in teal in person?!?:?:

MarySwiss
02-26-2008, 03:41 PM
How do you speak in teal in person?!?:?:
What can I tell you, Ode? It's a skill! :wink: