PDA

View Full Version : The Cubs have the easiest 2008 Interleague Schedule

Mr. Man
02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Even though the NL Central plays the AL East this season, somehow the Cubs avoid both the Yankees and the Red Sox (http://homerderby.com/archives/1877).

jabrch
02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Amazing that last year's NLC division winner doesn't have to face either of the top two teams in the ALE.

spiffie
02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Amazing that last year's NLC division winner doesn't have to face either of the top two teams in the ALE.
MLB is getting ever closer to simply mandating a Cubs v. Red Sox World Series.

Fenway
02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Even though the NL Central plays the AL East this season, somehow the Cubs avoid both the Yankees and the Red Sox (http://homerderby.com/archives/1877).

Taking an educated guess...

The Cubs can't increase attendance in either the Bronx or Back Bay but can in the other cities.

Jerko
02-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Either get rid of this interleague **** or go back to the old days when teams from the same division all played the same teams from the other league. Central vs. Central, top to bottom, 3 games each, alternating parks.

LITTLE NELL
02-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Baseball needs to addess this unbalanced schedule issue. Its really unfair.

Mr. Man
02-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Taking an educated guess...

The Cubs can't increase attendance in either the Bronx or Back Bay but can in the other cities.

Let's see, the Cubs travel to Toronto and Tampa and host Baltimore (plus the H&H with the Sox).

Yep, that seems right. If something doesn't make sense, it's probably the money.

skottyj242
02-25-2008, 12:48 PM

Who is it unfair to? Is it unfair to the Cubs that they have to play us six games a year and the Cardinals play the Royals? Why do we play the Pirates every year. People just love to bitch about anything. Does this really bother you that much that you're looking at another teams schedule?

Fenway
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Let's see, the Cubs travel to Toronto and Tampa and host Baltimore (plus the H&H with the Sox).

Yep, that seems right. If something doesn't make sense, it's probably the money.

It always is.

Skydome might sellout for the Cubs and there are a lot of retired Chicago folks in Tampa....

areilly
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
The same argument could be made that the Sox in fact have the easiest interleague schedule. ALC plays the NLW, yet the Sox get six against the Cubs, three against the Pirates, and miss both the Padres and Diamondbacks entirely.

Calm down, people. Seriously.

Mr. Man
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
The same argument could be made that the Sox in fact have the easiest interleague schedule. ALC plays the NLW, yet the Sox get six against the Cubs, three against the Pirates, and miss both the Padres and Diamondbacks entirely.

I bet the blogger gets to that. He seems to be doing a series.

But the Cubs aren't going to be considered "easy games" are they?

Taliesinrk
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
How can this be?!? The Cubs play the best team in baseball 6 times this year.. clearly, they have one of the toughest interleague schedules

PKalltheway
02-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Much ado about nothing. The Cubs already had the "home and home" with the Yankees in 2003 and 2005, so there's no need to play them again, at least for now. With the Red Sox, it might be a money thing, like Fenway said earlier. Plus, with 5 teams in the AL East, and 6 in the NL Central, it's kinda hard to even things out. I don't know, that's just my guess...

The interleague scheduling does perplex me at times (like the fact that the White Sox haven't played the Brewers since 2001, or the fact that the Twins haven't been to Cincinnati since 1998), but I just take it for what it's worth. I, for one, enjoy interleague play.

hi im skot
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I bet the blogger gets to that. He seems to be doing a series.

http://www.smcm.edu/news/Images/07%20005%20TonyKornheiser.jpg

BLOGGERS ARE RUINING SPORTS!!!!!!

downstairs
02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Much ado about nothing is right.

MLB would love to have the Cubs vs. Yankees and/or Boston every year. But *that* wouldn't be fair. So every now and then- like *every* team- they don't get to play them.

Who cares? Its 6 games.

chisoxmike
02-25-2008, 04:22 PM
:whocares:

spawn
02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Thank you.

santo=dorf
02-25-2008, 05:03 PM
There used to be a couple that set the schedules but they replaced them with a computer.

This "unbalanced" scheduled stuff is nonsense. In no professional sporting leagues which American actually care about is there a "balanced" schedule, and even in the NCAA level there is none.

Because baseball is such a great game and is played over a much longer period of time during the year, it's extremely likely that two teams that play a series in April will not come back with the same rosters come August.

I suppose it's unbalanced and unfair that Gardenhire went out of his way to lineup Santana against the Sox? Should every starting pitcher in the league make only 29 starts, once against each team, to make it a true "balanced" schedule?

Didn't think so either.

LITTLE NELL
02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Who is it unfair to? Is it unfair to the Cubs that they have to play us six games a year and the Cardinals play the Royals? Why do we play the Pirates every year. People just love to bitch about anything. Does this really bother you that much that you're looking at another teams schedule?
Yes to all your questions. Check out the NFL and how they schedule games.

ThatGuyOnTheL
02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
With that interleague schedule, the last piece is in place - World Series title, here they come!

Railsplitter
02-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Under balanced schedules, team played more games against teams in other divisions than they did teams in thier own.

in the eighties, the American league would play 13 games against each division foes and 12 against non division teams.
13 x 6 = 78
12 x 7 = 84

Dan Mega
02-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Seconded.

Sometimes I wonder if some people claim to be Sox fans simply because they think it gives them an excuse to piss their pants about the Cubs.

Brian26
02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes to all your questions. Check out the NFL and how they schedule games.

I could make out the NFL schedule in about two hours. You're talking about 16 lousy games where six of those are automatically set versus division opponents. The MLB schedule gets more complicated because you have some teams that have to play automatic home and away series against geographical rivals (NYY/NYM, Cubs/Sox, LAA, LAD) while other teams don't. And then all of the divisions don't contain the same number of teams.

btrain929
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Did you miss the part of our schedule when we face the Rockies, the team that went further than SD or Arizona??

chisoxmike
02-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Did you miss the part of our schedule when we face the Rockies, the team that went further than SD or Arizona??

The Rockies are not going to even contend this year.

cws05champ
02-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I could make out the NFL schedule in about two hours. You're talking about 16 lousy games where six of those are automatically set versus division opponents. The MLB schedule gets more complicated because you have some teams that have to play automatic home and away series against geographical rivals (NYY/NYM, Cubs/Sox, LAA, LAD) while other teams don't. And then all of the divisions don't contain the same number of teams.
They should eliminate the Home and away for geogrphic rivals. It should just be one series that shifts parks from year to year, like it used to be. That would at least solve some issue of imblanced scheduling and missing the top two teams in the division you are playing against.

Also, for all the pants pissing about this...a large percentage of the games are against the Sox, whose winning percentage was the worst it has been in years. And the one's that are complaining about the Cubs schedule being too easy probably think the Sox will be much improved and better than the Cubs anyways.

kittle42
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
And the one's that are complaining about the Cubs schedule being too easy probably think the Sox will be much improved and better than the Cubs anyways.

I agree they do, but my eyes! :D:

areilly
02-26-2008, 11:56 AM

I would say SD and Arizona are in much better shape for 2008 than the Rockies are, Pods notwithstanding. Getting into the playoffs by running the table from August onwards rather than playing well starting in April is not necessarily the sign of a great team, either; just a decent good one going a tear.

btrain929
02-26-2008, 12:09 PM
I would say SD and Arizona are in much better shape for 2008 than the Rockies are, Pods notwithstanding. Getting into the playoffs by running the table from August onwards rather than playing well starting in April is not necessarily the sign of a great team, either; just a decent good one going a tear.

I think all those teams have question marks. The Rockies definitely showed me a lot in the last few months of baseball. Plus they have a ton of youth coming up in their system (Francisco Morales, I believe, is going to be a stud in the majors). The Padres always have the pitching, but their offense is full of journeymen that won't intimidate anyone. Arizona gained Haren, which is amazing, but lost their stud closer, and I find a hard time to believe Byrnes will repeat his '07 year.

I think Arizona will be 1st, with the Rockies and Dodgers chasing the Wild Card. Either way, the Rockies won't be a walk in the park when we face them this year.

Demafrost
02-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Someone was telling me the other day that the only interleague matchup the Cubs haven't had after this season is Cubs vs. Red Sox in Fenway.

The Cubs have gone to every other AL park, and every AL team has visited Wrigley. This year would obviously be the perfect year for them to go to Fenway, and it didn't happen.

LITTLE NELL
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Under balanced schedules, team played more games against teams in other divisions than they did teams in thier own.

in the eighties, the American league would play 13 games against each division foes and 12 against non division teams.
13 x 6 = 78
12 x 7 = 84
I knew that, my idea of a balance schedule is were all teams in the division play the same opponents the same amount of times. The Sox and the Cubs, the Mets and Yankees, the Angels and Dodgers do not have to play each other 6 times a year. I realize that with 16 teams in the NL and only 14 in the AL make things tough. To alleviate this problem baseball needs to expand to 32 teams, eight 4 team divisions will do it.