PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Cox's baserunning drills

thomas35forever
02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080224-white-sox-baserunning,1,1171841.story
I liked what I read this morning about these drills. We could really use some memory refreshing on how to steal and hustle on the basepaths. Except for Owens, we haven't been doing too well in that area since Pods got hurt. I can see why Ozzie hired this guy.

:bandance:Post number 5,000!:bandance:

Bob G
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
This is encouraging if the coaching staff really mean what they say about sticking with this throughout the season. Good baserunning and the ability to advance runners will make a huge difference in winning one run ballgames instead of losing them.

Winning the close ones was key for us in '05 and one of the reasons why we had such a poor '07 season.

balke
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Haha. I like the mentality, but this team right here won't be stealing many. Maybe next year.

If best case Ramirez, Richar, Quentin, Owens, Fields, and Swisher were all the base of this team's starting lineup I could see them trying to learn how to run. Let's be honest, there's a ton of vets here who have a lot of power and not a lot of leg.

If it helps Owens progress, and Fields steals more this season I'll be happy though.

Bob G
02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Haha. I like the mentality, but this team right here won't be stealing many. Maybe next year.

If best case Ramirez, Richar, Quentin, Owens, Fields, and Swisher were all the base of this team's starting lineup I could see them trying to learn how to run. Let's be honest, there's a ton of vets here who have a lot of power and not a lot of leg.

If it helps Owens progress, and Fields steals more this season I'll be happy though.

I'm not really talking about stealing bases - just smart baserunning, there's a difference. Knowing when to take the extra base, when to tag up versus going halfway are little things that every MLB player ought to know how to do regardless of how fast or slow they may run. If every player on the team can learn to do this well on a consistent basis it'll translate to winning more close games.

KenBerryGrab
02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
If this can get guys thinking of going from first to third, or just getting a good secondary lead, it'll be worth it.

Rocky Soprano
02-25-2008, 02:53 PM
I like! :smile:

Brian26
02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Except for Owens, we haven't been doing too well in that area since Pods got hurt.

Stolen bases do not necessarily translate to good base-running. You can have a great baserunner that very rarely steals, but he knows how to go from first to third on a ball hit behind him all the time without looking for help from the third base coach. Likewise, you can have a guy with blazing speed that can steal a lot of bases, yet he can still be a terrible base-runner that makes bad decisions. I always thought Iguchi was the former example, and quite frankly Jerry Owens might be the latter.

thedudeabides
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Stolen bases do not necessarily translate to good base-running. You can have a great baserunner that very rarely steals, but he knows how to go from first to third on a ball hit behind him all the time without looking for help from the third base coach. Likewise, you can have a guy with blazing speed that can steal a lot of bases, yet he can still be a terrible base-runner that makes bad decisions. I always thought Iguchi was the former example, and quite frankly Jerry Owens might be the latter.

I don't think Owens is terrible, but he has a lot to work on. I just hope the Sox can be more aggressive in their baserunning this year. On top of the offense being bad last year, they were also so boring to watch. They never seemed to force the action.

SoxSpeed22
02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
That's good they at least remember baserunning exists.
There were plenty of smart basestealers who weren't fast, so it's really about picking the right times.
At times, Owens seemed to get by with his speed. Once he gets more experience, he'll be a consistent threat. Just as long we see the results on the field.

chisox77
02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Just smart baserunning will help tremendously. The White Sox have some speed in certain spots, and other players who can be real good on the basepaths as a result of this approach.

Honestly, I am starting to see the makings of a very balanced White Sox team. This can be a very good season here.

:cool:

michned
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I saw Cox running this drill last Saturday and the guy really sticks out (in a good way). His voice carried all over the complex and he was stressing getting the extra step after the ball is pitched. I don't ever remember seeing them do base running drills in previous Springs. Overall, there definitely seemed to be a bit more intensity to the drills this year as compared to previous years.

oeo
02-25-2008, 10:11 PM

This team isn't as slow as one would think. The meat of the lineup is slow, but that's the case for most American League teams.

And you don't even need to be fast to go first to third. It's all about knowing the positioning of the outfielders, and getting a good jump off the ball. Every guy should be able to go first to third (even Konerko). In the case of Owens, Richar, Ramirez, and even Cabrera, they may be able to go all the around depending on where the ball is hit.

The problem the last couple of years, is these guys have been fine with only taking second. How many times have we seen AJ, Konerko, etc. just jog into second, when if they were running hard there's the possibility that something weird happens and we get lucky? Part of our luck in 2005 was forcing everything, and making the opposing defense make mistakes. Being happy to just take second shouldn't be an option.

TomBradley72
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Slight hijack...I was listening to the Score yesterday afternoon...not sure who was on...might have been B&B...and they went on and on ripping the report on Cox....they were under the impression he was teaching the players to slide into first base trying to beat out a throw to first when running from home plate (when he was teaching them how to slide back to first during a pick off throw). They went on and on....thinking they were hilarious...and trying to make Cox (and the White Sox) look like idiots. Not sure if they ever figured it out.

I just shook my head and changed the station. I'd give anything for decent sports talk in this town.

kobo
02-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Slight hijack...I was listening to the Score yesterday afternoon...not sure who was on...might have been B&B...and they went on and on ripping the report on Cox....they were under the impression he was teaching the players to slide into first base trying to beat out a throw to first when running from home plate (when he was teaching them how to slide back to first during a pick off throw). They went on and on....thinking they were hilarious...and trying to make Cox (and the White Sox) look like idiots. Not sure if they ever figured it out.

I just shook my head and changed the station. I'd give anything for decent sports talk in this town.
They were going off what the article had stated, and the article stated he was showing guys how to dive into first, not back to first. Once they realized the article was poorly written and he was indeed teaching them how to slide back into the bag they changed their opinions.

TomBradley72
02-26-2008, 11:44 AM
They were going off what the article had stated, and the article stated he was showing guys how to dive into first, not back to first. Once they realized the article was poorly written and he was indeed teaching them how to slide back into the bag they changed their opinions.

I read the same article...it talked about "switching hands" to avoid the tag..a pretty common tactic when trying to avoid a pick off throw. It was clear to me over a cup of coffee before I went to work. Not sure why two guys who do this for a living a few hours a day couldn't pick up on it.

soxfan13
02-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I like the idea of getting back to basics with these guys and their running. I love the quote this morning in the Sun-Times. After Swisher got a base hit in the intrasquad game, I guess Kenny yelled "We run hard to first base in Chicago" then he turned to the coaching staff and said "make sure he ****ing hears what I said". :gulp: