PDA

View Full Version : You read it here....

Chrisaway
02-24-2008, 06:35 PM
My 2008 MLB predictions:

NL West
1.Arizona Diamondbacks -They got even more pitching this offseason (Haren). This young team will be fun to watch this summer.
2.San Diego Padres -The dads will give zona a good run but fall short in the end.
3. LA Dodgers of LA -Papa Torre will have this team in contention deep into September.
4. Colorado Rockies -Was 2007 a fluke? One look at their pitching staff tells me yes.
5. SF Giants -Good young rotation but even if they accquire Crede, this offense looks really anemic.Look for them to start trading off veterans (Roberts, Winn, Durahm) come the trade deadline.

NL Comedy Central
1. Milwaukee Brewers -They improved their bullpen enough to push this team over the hump in a weak division.
2. Houston Astros -A healthy roidless rotation makes the stros turn some heads this summer, but fall just short.
3. Chicago Cubs -The Cubs? Two playoff appearences in a row? Their aging injury prone bullpen rears its ugly head this year. Que up the centennial parade!!!
4. Cinncinatti Reds -They may stink but at least they arent the pirates.
5. Pittsburgh Pirates -Without a visit from the White Sox this year look for an empty stadium to be even emptier.
6. St. Louis Cardinals -They did nothing to get better this year. You'll bet Boston and New York will be calling about Pujols come the trade deadline.

NL East
1. New York Mets -They got Johan Santana.
2. Philadelphia Phillies (wild card) -They didn't
3. Atlanta Braves -Neither did they
4. Florida Marlins -Thanks for 2003:)
5. Washington Nationals -heh heh Christian Guzman heh heh

AL West
1. Seattle Mariners -King Felix and Erik Bedard propel the Mariners to the next level.
2. LA Angels of Anahiem (wild card) -Their 789783432 million dollar outfield and Jon Garland will make them contenders.
3. Oakland A's -They'll be competitive again in 4-5 years but this team is clearly rebuilding.
4. Walker Texas Rangers -Chuck Norris himself couldnt save this braindead franchise. HINT: pitching wins

AL Central
1. Chicago White Sox -While most media pundits think their offseason was a failure, this biased predicter thinks Nick Swisher, Orlando Cabrera, Linebrink/Dotel and the improved Sox are back in contention.
2. Detroit Tigers -Though the 2008 championship banner was already raised by most when they got Cabrera and Willis, most people forgot that their bullpen still sucks. They remind me of the '06 White Sox.
3. Minnesota Twinkies -They got rid of Johan Santana. But with the buttload of young talent they picked up look for them to stay in the race.
4. Cleveland Indians -Good year, ****ty year, Good year.........get where im going here? Joe Borowski enough said!!!
5. Kansas City Royals -With promising youngsters like Alex Gordon and Brian Bannister, the Royals future looks promising. But they're not quite there yet.

AL East
1. New York Yankees -Remember what Girardi did with a bunch of nobodies in Florida? He'll do even better with a bunch of overpaid overhyped egomaniacs this summer.
2. Boston Red Sox -The classic ESPN fueled rivalries will rage on this season but Boston will fall flat in the end. At least New Englanders have those perfect Patri....WAIT THEY LOST TO THE STINKIN GIANTS??? HAHAHAHAHA!!!
3. Tampa Bay Rays -Their quality young pitching just may propel the Rays to mediocrity.
4. Toronto Blue Jays -Sorry Frank Thomas but your supporting cast stinks.
5. Baltimore Orioles -Clearly in rebuilding mode. They should trade Markakis and Brian Roidberts to the Chi Sox for the stretch run dont you think?

AL Champs: Seattle
NL Champs: Arizona
World Champs: Seattle

MVP
AL: Jim Thome
NL: Carlos Beltran

CY Young
AL: Erik Bedard
NL: Brandon Webb

twentywontowin
02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Did you pull these out of a hat?

Cleveland finishing fourth? Tampa Bay in third? Jim Thome as MVP? SEATTLE WINS THE WORLD SERIES???

This season can't start soon enough.

thomas35forever
02-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Pretty bold picking the Sox to win the division, but even bolder picking Thome to win MVP. He can still hit 35 homers a year, but I think his MVP-caliber years are behind him.

Chrisaway
02-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey one can be a little biased right?

twentywontowin
02-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Pretty bold picking the Sox to win the division, but even bolder picking Thome to win MVP. He can still hit 35 homers a year, but I think his MVP-caliber years are behind him.

And considering NO true designated hitter has ever won the MVP award, you may have a better chance at getting married to Carmen Electra.

Chrisaway
02-24-2008, 07:09 PM
And considering NO true designated hitter has ever won the MVP award, you may have a better chance at getting married to Carmen Electra.

Woohoo. I know its a pretty off the wall pick but someones gonna hafta carry this team down the stretch so ya never know.

I want Mags back
02-24-2008, 07:40 PM
My 2008 MLB predictions:

NL West
1.Arizona Diamondbacks -They got even more pitching this offseason (Haren). This young team will be fun to watch this summer.
2.San Diego Padres -The dads will give zona a good run but fall short in the end.
3. LA Dodgers of LA -Papa Torre will have this team in contention deep into September.
4. Colorado Rockies -Was 2007 a fluke? One look at their pitching staff tells me yes.
5. SF Giants -Good young rotation but even if they accquire Crede, this offense looks really anemic.Look for them to start trading off veterans (Roberts, Winn, Durahm) come the trade deadline.

NL Comedy Central
1. Milwaukee Brewers -They improved their bullpen enough to push this team over the hump in a weak division.
2. Houston Astros -A healthy roidless rotation makes the stros turn some heads this summer, but fall just short.
3. Chicago Cubs -The Cubs? Two playoff appearences in a row? Their aging injury prone bullpen rears its ugly head this year. Que up the centennial parade!!!
4. Cinncinatti Reds -They may stink but at least they arent the pirates.
5. Pittsburgh Pirates -Without a visit from the White Sox this year look for an empty stadium to be even emptier.
6. St. Louis Cardinals -They did nothing to get better this year. You'll bet Boston and New York will be calling about Pujols come the trade deadline.

NL East
1. New York Mets -They got Johan Santana.
2. Philadelphia Phillies (wild card) -They didn't
3. Atlanta Braves -Neither did they
4. Florida Marlins -Thanks for 2003:)
5. Washington Nationals -heh heh Christian Guzman heh heh

AL West
1. Seattle Mariners -King Felix and Erik Bedard propel the Mariners to the next level.
2. LA Angels of Anahiem (wild card) -Their 789783432 million dollar outfield and Jon Garland will make them contenders.
3. Oakland A's -They'll be competitive again in 4-5 years but this team is clearly rebuilding.
4. Walker Texas Rangers -Chuck Norris himself couldnt save this braindead franchise. HINT: pitching wins

AL Central
1. Chicago White Sox -While most media pundits think their offseason was a failure, this biased predicter thinks Nick Swisher, Orlando Cabrera, Linebrink/Dotel and the improved Sox are back in contention.
2. Detroit Tigers -Though the 2008 championship banner was already raised by most when they got Cabrera and Willis, most people forgot that their bullpen still sucks. They remind me of the '06 White Sox.
3. Minnesota Twinkies -They got rid of Johan Santana. But with the buttload of young talent they picked up look for them to stay in the race.
4. Cleveland Indians -Good year, ****ty year, Good year.........get where im going here? Joe Borowski enough said!!!
5. Kansas City Royals -With promising youngsters like Alex Gordon and Brian Bannister, the Royals future looks promising. But they're not quite there yet.

AL East
1. New York Yankees -Remember what Girardi did with a bunch of nobodies in Florida? He'll do even better with a bunch of overpaid overhyped egomaniacs this summer.
2. Boston Red Sox -The classic ESPN fueled rivalries will rage on this season but Boston will fall flat in the end. At least New Englanders have those perfect Patri....WAIT THEY LOST TO THE STINKIN GIANTS??? HAHAHAHAHA!!!
3. Tampa Bay Rays -Their quality young pitching just may propel the Rays to mediocrity.
4. Toronto Blue Jays -Sorry Frank Thomas but your supporting cast stinks.
5. Baltimore Orioles -Clearly in rebuilding mode. They should trade Markakis and Brian Roidberts to the Chi Sox for the stretch run dont you think?

AL Champs: Seattle
NL Champs: Arizona
World Champs: Seattle

MVP
AL: Jim Thome
NL: Carlos Beltran

CY Young
AL: Erik Bedard
NL: Brandon Webb

someone's not a homer

RadioheadRocks
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
My 2008 MLB predictions:

NL Comedy Central

Hell, they have enough problems trying to put two .500 or better seasons in a row, let alone two playoff appearances in a row! :D:

btrain929
02-24-2008, 08:32 PM
-Seattle will not finish 1st in the West, and won't make the playoffs, period. Anaheim will.

-The Dodgers will push the DBacks to the wire (I like the additions of Kuroda and A.Jones), and if they don't take 1st place, they'll take the wild card in the NL.

-Unless the Red Sox see injury after injury happen (it's possible with Ortiz, Beckett, etc), they will win the East hands down. The Yanks hitters aren't what they used to be, and are pretty unproven at the backend of the rotation.

-The AL Wildcard will either be one of the Yanks, Tigers, or White Sox. I anticipate a fall from the Indians (Carmona coming back down to earth, Borowski blowing up in his 2nd yr in the AL, backend of rotation weak, and too many journeymen/mediocre hitters in their lineup that will not do much (Delluci, Michaels, Blake, Garko to an extent even though he kills us), and they'll finish 3rd.

-The White Sox won't have any MVP candidates, but hopefully 2 Cy Young candidates in Buehrle and Vazquez with Santana gone and our team with an improved offense and bullpen.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I disagree with San Diego finishing second and Cleveland finishing fourth. I think both will do better.

San Diego should have made the playoffs last year and continue to have one of the best pitching staffs in the National League. A healthy season from Mark Prior can make them pennant contenders.

Cleveland was one game away from the AL pennant and also have excellent pitching. With Fausto Carmona having a little more experience under his belt, I think the Indians are the best team in the AL Central.

btrain929
02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I disagree with San Diego finishing second and Cleveland finishing fourth. I think both will do better.

San Diego should have made the playoffs last year and continue to have one of the best pitching staffs in the National League. A healthy season from Mark Pryor can make them pennant contenders.

Cleveland was one game away from the AL pennant and also have excellent pitching. With Francisco Carmona having a little more experience under his belt, I think the Indians are the best team in the AL Central.

Jeez, if he's better than his teammate Fausto Carmona, the Central is REALLY in trouble...

Past CLE's 1-2 punch, they don't have a scary or even remotely above average 3-5 in their rotation, and their closer had a 5+ ERA. I spoke above about a few of their offensive liabilities as well. Best case scenario for them is 2nd place, but I really think they will finish 3rd behind the Tigers and White Sox.

Chrisaway
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Jeez, if he's better than his teammate Fausto Carmona, the Central is REALLY in trouble...

Past CLE's 1-2 punch, they don't have a scary or even remotely above average 3-5 in their rotation, and their closer had a 5+ ERA. I spoke above about a few of their offensive liabilities as well. Best case scenario for them is 2nd place, but I really think they will finish 3rd behind the Tigers and White Sox.

Agreed I really don't think Cleveland will finish higher than 3rd. The only reason I put the Twinks in front of them is because they always seem to find a way to win with prospects.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Francisco Carmona is his brother, who also pitches for Cleveland, that no one has heard of except for me.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Past CLE's 1-2 punch, they don't have a scary or even remotely above average 3-5 in their rotation, and their closer had a 5+ ERA. I spoke above about a few of their offensive liabilities as well. Best case scenario for them is 2nd place, but I really think they will finish 3rd behind the Tigers and White Sox. [/QUOTE]

They have a very similar team to the one that finished tied for the best record in the American League. They have a good mix of speed and power and can catch and throw the ball. I still think they have the best chance in the central.

BadBobbyJenks
02-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I cant make my predictions just yet...but Seattle will not win more than 85 games.

pearso66
02-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I have to agree in Thome not winning the MVP. I think Swisher has a better chance at that, especially moving to US Cellular for his home field.

the1tab
02-24-2008, 11:51 PM
A few things...

A) put down the CoolAid.
B) The Cubs will probably win the NL Central this year again. Milwaukee is still having issues getting thru puberty and took a huge chance on Gagne as their new closer. Houston is a JOKE, with half their rotation gone and having traded the lions share of their talent for a guy in Tejada that might go to jail. Also, don't sell short the impact Biggio retiring will have on their clubhouse.
C) Your MVP picks are the stuff of cold medication and cheap beer.

Let's try these on for size:

NL MVP: Derrek Lee, Cubs - product of his division being aweful
AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera, Det - product of his lineup being sick

NL CY: Dan Haren, Ari - takes good AL stuff to a weak NLW
AL CY: Josh Beckett, Bos - they owe him for last year

NL Mgr of Yr: Joe Torre, LA - if his pitchers stay healthy, they compete
AL Mgr of Yr: Mike Scoscia, LA - if his outfielders stay healthy, they win

btrain929
02-24-2008, 11:59 PM
A few things...

A) put down the CoolAid.
B) The Cubs will probably win the NL Central this year again. Milwaukee is still having issues getting thru puberty and took a huge chance on Gagne as their new closer. Houston is a JOKE, with half their rotation gone and having traded the lions share of their talent for a guy in Tejada that might go to jail. Also, don't sell short the impact Biggio retiring will have on their clubhouse.
C) Your MVP picks are the stuff of cold medication and cheap beer.

Let's try these on for size:

NL MVP: Derrek Lee, Cubs - product of his division being aweful
AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera, Det - product of his lineup being sick

NL CY: Dan Haren, Ari - takes good AL stuff to a weak NLW

NL Mgr of Yr: Joe Torre, LA - if his pitchers stay healthy, they compete
AL Mgr of Yr: Mike Scoscia, LA - if his outfielders stay healthy, they win

Did you really follow that bolded sentence with a prediction that Derrick Lee would be the NL MVP? He won't be in the top 2 or 3 FIRST BASEMEN in the league, let alone one of the top players overall in the league. Apparently there's plenty of cold medication and cheap beer to go around in these parts....

PalehosePlanet
02-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Did you really follow that bolded sentence with a prediction that Derrick Lee would be the NL MVP? He won't be in the top 2 or 3 FIRST BASEMEN in the league, let alone one of the top players overall in the league. Apparently there's plenty of cold medication and cheap beer to go around in these parts....

No kidding, Lee has been in the league 10 years and has one 100 RBI season to show for it. He's right there with Bonderman as far as being one of the most overrated players in all of MLB.

He was an all-star last year with 6 HR and 42 rbi at the break, *****!!

WhiteSox5187
02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Lee's power numbers have gone down since his wrist injury, but he's still a damn good first baseman. I'll give you Pujols at first...who am I missing? Oh, Prince Fielder, maybe?? Ryan Howard...eh, he's in the top five. Anyways, here are my picks:

NL:
East
1. Mets, easily
2. Phillies, lack of pitching hurts them, but they'll contend for a WC spot
3. Braves, not too sure of where they're going, but it ain't up
4. Marlins, young team getting better
5. Nats, enjoy the new stadium

West
1. D-backs have a lot of pitching, I'm going with them
2. LA, look for them and Philly to battle out for a WC spot
3. Padres, they'll be in the race for the west, but will eventually fall
4. Rockies, hey, you'll always have '07
5. Giants, good young pitching but no offense to speak of...look for their vets to be dealt come July

Central
1. Cubs, 83 wins will win the division and they'll promptly get swept
2. Milwaukee, good young hitting team and in a year, they'll be on top, but not this year.
3. Houston, good offensively but I think this team is too old and Tejada might be serving time come July, too many distractions not enough pitching
4. Cinncinatti, I think Dusty will do a good job down there, but they won't contend
5. Pittsburg, they still have a great ballpark
6. St. Louis, firing Walt Jockety was a dumb move and this old team has lost its catalyst in Eckstein, and two big sticks in Rolen and Edmonds...and they have no pitching, it'll be a long summer in St. Louis

AL
East
1. Boston, lots of pitching, lots of power
2. New York, Joe Girardi will fair no better than Joe Torre, a WC berth is possible
3. Tampa, there is no logical reason for me to pick them, but for some reason I think they'll have a good year this year
4. Toronto, they have Frank...and not a whole lot else
5. Baltimore, more of the same from Angelos and crew

West
1. Anahiem, Hunter will provide a lot of protection for Vlad and Garland makes a good staff even better
2. Seattle, good pitching depth, but just not enough to beat LA, they could win the WC though
3. Oakland, team in transition is still better than Texas
4. Texas

Central
1. Detroit, it'll be interesting to see what Willis does in the AL but they have so much pop it's scary, the bullpen is still a question mark
2. Cleveland, they think they can contend so they're going to hold on to Sabathia and let him walk, there are a lot of question marks with this team (is Joe Borowski for real? how will their offense fair? what about Carmona?) but I think they have enough to get second and I'm leaning towards them as my WC team
3. White Sox, much improved and will probably be about five hundred and will win as many if not more than the Cubs but unless Floyd and Danks play out of their minds, they don't have enough to overcome Detroit, but second place is a possibility if the offense gets rolling
4. KC, I was going to put the Twins here, but I think the atmosphere in that clubhouse is one of defeat, Nathan will probably be gone by July, Mauer will struggle to stay healthy and I don't forsee a good year for Liriano, KC gets it by default
5. Twins, 2008 just isn't their year, but I suspect they could contend in '09

kraut83
02-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Lee's power numbers have gone down since his wrist injury, but he's still a damn good first baseman. I'll give you Pujols at first...who am I missing? Oh, Prince Fielder, maybe?? Ryan Howard...eh, he's in the top five. Anyways, here are my picks:

NL:
East
1. Mets, easily
2. Phillies, lack of pitching hurts them, but they'll contend for a WC spot
3. Braves, not too sure of where they're going, but it ain't up
4. Marlins, young team getting better
5. Nats, enjoy the new stadium

West
1. D-backs have a lot of pitching, I'm going with them
2. LA, look for them and Philly to battle out for a WC spot
3. Padres, they'll be in the race for the west, but will eventually fall
4. Rockies, hey, you'll always have '07
5. Giants, good young pitching but no offense to speak of...look for their vets to be dealt come July

Central
1. Cubs, 83 wins will win the division and they'll promptly get swept
2. Milwaukee, good young hitting team and in a year, they'll be on top, but not this year.
3. Houston, good offensively but I think this team is too old and Tejada might be serving time come July, too many distractions not enough pitching
4. Cinncinatti, I think Dusty will do a good job down there, but they won't contend
5. Pittsburg, they still have a great ballpark
6. St. Louis, firing Walt Jockety was a dumb move and this old team has lost its catalyst in Eckstein, and two big sticks in Rolen and Edmonds...and they have no pitching, it'll be a long summer in St. Louis

AL
East
1. Boston, lots of pitching, lots of power
2. New York, Joe Girardi will fair no better than Joe Torre, a WC berth is possible
3. Tampa, there is no logical reason for me to pick them, but for some reason I think they'll have a good year this year
4. Toronto, they have Frank...and not a whole lot else
5. Baltimore, more of the same from Angelos and crew

West
1. Anahiem, Hunter will provide a lot of protection for Vlad and Garland makes a good staff even better
2. Seattle, good pitching depth, but just not enough to beat LA, they could win the WC though
3. Oakland, team in transition is still better than Texas
4. Texas

Central
1. Detroit, it'll be interesting to see what Willis does in the AL but they have so much pop it's scary, the bullpen is still a question mark
2. Cleveland, they think they can contend so they're going to hold on to Sabathia and let him walk, there are a lot of question marks with this team (is Joe Borowski for real? how will their offense fair? what about Carmona?) but I think they have enough to get second and I'm leaning towards them as my WC team
3. White Sox, much improved and will probably be about five hundred and will win as many if not more than the Cubs but unless Floyd and Danks play out of their minds, they don't have enough to overcome Detroit, but second place is a possibility if the offense gets rolling
4. KC, I was going to put the Twins here, but I think the atmosphere in that clubhouse is one of defeat, Nathan will probably be gone by July, Mauer will struggle to stay healthy and I don't forsee a good year for Liriano, KC gets it by default
5. Twins, 2008 just isn't their year, but I suspect they could contend in '09

This looks more realistic to me.

The NL West is again going to be a fun race to watch, and I think it will come down to the last week of the season again. I think SD pulls out the division this year, while AZ and LA fight for the wild card.

PKalltheway
02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
The NL West is again going to be a fun race to watch, and I think it will come down to the last week of the season again. I think SD pulls out the division this year, while AZ and LA fight for the wild card.
I agree. There are four legit contenders in the NL West, all of which are capable of winning at least 90 games. The Pads and Dodgers are likely still sour about last year's finish, so they'll both be looking for payback this year.

Even though it's early, I'll just make these predictions for the hell of it.

AL East:
1.) Red Sox. The best team in baseball right now, hands down.
2.) Yankees. They're kind of an underdog this year in the East, but don't overlook them just yet. Expect them to be in the Wild Card race at the very least.
3.) Blue Jays. If they want to contend, they have to stay healthy, and quit shooting themselves in the foot in the second half.
4.) Rays. Good young team that isn't quite there yet. Look to 2009.
5.) Orioles. Bad team.

AL Central:
1.) Tigers. They have the best chance to de-throne the Red Sox. The Tigers missing the playoffs would honestly be more of a suprise.
2.) Indians. Questionable bullpen, but they're still better than the Sox.
3.) White Sox. I believe that they'll contend this year after last year's embarrassment, but for right now, Cleveland, and Detroit, are better.
4.) Twins. They won't be as bad as some people here think, but they won't contend.
5.) Royals. Still a ways to go...

AL West:
1.) Angels. With a solid rotation, and a better lineup, they'll be AL West champions for the fourth time in five seasons.
2.) Mariners. They have a good one-two punch in their rotation, and they should contend for the Wild Card.
3.) Rangers. They'll slug their way to about 70-75 wins.
4.) Athletics. They won't be anything but a last place team this year.

NL East:
1.) Mets. Not the best team in baseball, but certainly the best team in the National League
2.) Phillies. Shaky rotation, but they'll contend for the Wild Card.
3.) Braves. Won't be good, but won't be bad. I'd say at least 80-85 wins.
4.) Marlins. Congrats on finally getting a new stadium.
5.) Nationals. Congrats on the new stadium.

NL Central:
1.) Cubs. I say that they're the best of a weak bunch this year again. The presence of Carlos Zambrano alone makes their rotation better than Milwaukee's.
2.) Brewers. They'll hit a ton of home runs, but their pitching doesn't scare me. However, I won't be suprised if they end up proving me wrong and taking the Central.
3.) Reds. With Joey Votto, and Jay Bruce possibly coming north with the team, they could be a darkhorse in the Central. Plus, Dusty Baker coming in is a breath of fresh air for a team that's had nothing but stale managers since Jack McKeon was fired. The Reds will at least be more motivated this year, and it's been a long time since anybody could say that.
4.) Astros. Berkman, Lee, Oswalt, Tejada, and not much else.
5.) Cardinals. Thought last year was bad? This year could be worse.
6.) Pirates. The consecutive losing season total will raise to number 16 this year. With the Bucs re-signing Freddy Sanchez, Jason Bay will probably be gone by the deadline, unless by some miracle the Pirates are actually contending by then.

NL West:
1.) D'Backs. Great young team that should be only better this year. If Brandon Lyon or Chad Qualls can fill the closers role well, and Randy Johnson can make at least 20-25 starts this year, they could challenge the Mets for the best record in the NL this year.
2.) Padres. Pitching can go a long way, and if Mark Prior can come into the bottom of that rotation successfully, they'll be fighting Arizona for the division.
3.) Dodgers. With Joe Torre in there, as well as Andruw Jones, this team will contend for the division title as well.
4.) Rockies. They have a very questionable rotation, but with that blistering offense, a winning season won't be out of the question.
5.) Giants. Old team, not very good.

russ99
02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
They have a very similar team to the one that finished tied for the best record in the American League. They have a good mix of speed and power and can catch and throw the ball. I still think they have the best chance in the central.

I disagree. Everything came together for them last year despite a horrid pen and Borowski as closer and probably the weakest 5-9 hitters this side of Kansas City.

It's too much to ask for it to happen twice, especially after blowing a 3 game lead vs. the Sawx, and only adding a few marginal relievers (1 from Japan), and no one to fill their obvious holes at LF, RF and 2B.

Also, regardless what they say, the Sabathia contract issue will dog them all season. If they fall off the way I expect, they'd be fools not to deal him at the deadline.

Detroit's the team to beat in the Central this year.

At this point I'd go:

ALE: Bos, Tor, NYY, TB, Bal
ALC: Det, Sox, Cle, KC, Min
ALW: Ana, Sea, Tex, Oak

NLE: NYM, Phl, Wsh, Atl, Fla
NLC: Mil, Hou, Chi, Cin, Pit, Stl
NLW: LA, Col, Ari, SD, SF

santo=dorf
02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
I have to agree in Thome not winning the MVP. I think Swisher has a better chance at that, especially moving to US Cellular for his home field.
That's crazy. He posted an .850 OPS and hit 14 homers on the road last year. Assume he keeps those road numbers his home run total at home would have to increase to 150% just to match Jim Thome's total home runs from last year. (which is what Thome had 21 HRs at home to 14 on the Road) Jim Thome had better road numbers than Swisher last season including an ops 100 points higher.

Optipessimism
02-26-2008, 09:37 AM
NL East
1. Mets - best all-around team in the East
2. Braves - deepest rotation, improved offense
3. Phillies - some of baseball's biggest stars once again show how much better they are than the rest of their mediocre team
4. Nats - VERY close to third place, but not enough pitching to overtake the Phils. This team is much improved offensively and while their OF might spend a few days in prison, you can not deny the increase in talent level.
5. Marlins - boy, do they suck ass or what? Andrew Miller's arm falls off IMO, Maybin doesn't prove to be ready, and Fish fans think they got hosed.

NL West
1. Arizona is awesome. Best team in the NL IMO.
2. Dodgers - too much veteran talent to not be near the top, but their insistence on playing overpriced former veteran All-Stars instead of their own young talent does nothing more than set them back another year.
3. Rockies - meh, middle of the road talent-wise but very solid team play keeps them in the race until early September.
4. Padres - bargain basement team continues to show they are good enough to stick around, but don't have the offense to do anything noteworthy.
5. Giants - they suck.

NL Central
1. Heavyweight midget
2. Light-heavyweight midget
3. Middleweight midget
4. Welterweight midget
5. Lightweight midget
6. Featherweight midget

Some poor fans will mistake the openness of this division for excitement. Nothing to see here. Which ever midget has the least worst starting pitching will come out of top. Unfortunately this will probably be the Cubs, but the Reds might do some surprising. Who cares, they all suck.

AL East
1. Boston - **** the Red Sox
2. Yankees - incapable of finishing worse than 2nd
3. TB - the kids finally do something this year. With some veteran leadership in the bullpen, a youthful starting staff with stuff and some experience 1-3, and their always toolsy offense they will make some noise *unless they sign Barry Bonds.** If they sign Bonds that team is in the ****ter.
4. Toronto - I heart Alex Rios
5. Baltimore - right at the bottom like normal, but at least this year the kids give the few remaining O's fans something to watch

AL West
1. LAAAA - An overrated but still very strong starting staff carries this powerless team right into an early ALDS exit
2. Seattle - They get better but their offense still sucks.
3. Oakland - they should be fun to watch after Emil Brown gets DFA'd, Harden goes down for the umpteenth time, and at least Joe Blanton and maybe even Huston Street and Dan Johnson are dealt at the deadline. Gio has a better year than Floyd or Danks which causes hundreds of threads to sprout up around WSI. Some of those threads include the question, "would you deal Javy + Swish for Gio + Young?"
4. Texas - Who cares

AL Central
1. Detroit - how can anyone pick them to finish anywhere else? If the Tigers don't win the division it will again be because they didn't play up to their potential. If they do I don't think anyone else has a chance.
2. White Sox - Contreras and one of Danks/Floyd has a good year. The fifth spot in the rotation either gets picked up by Egbert or Broadway or KW makes a deal in June. They have a shot at the wildcard.
3. Cleveland - Westbrook bounces back, Sabathia and Carmona slip back a little, but their bullpen is very bad and their team is incapable of winning close ballgames. They finish third by outslugging opponents.
4. Twins - I could almost pick them third because of their SP and the Delmon Young addition, but I don't think Liriano is going to be healthy all year. If he is though, I think they finish third ahead of Cleveland and contend most of the year. I think they made the right move dealing Johan and should probably deal Natan too, but I'm guessing they'll keep him through the season and receive nothing more than picks when he signs elsewhere.
5. Royals - They are getting better, a lot better, but they still aren't good enough to move up in a deep division. Meche is solid, Bannister is sold despite a slight regression, Greinke finally has a breakout year, the back end looks better, the pen is average, two of Gordon/Butler/Huber/Callaspo break out, and the Royals surprise everyone by becoming a BUYER at the deadline. This may sound dumb, but I could definitely see the Royals dipping into their farm system to go hard after a top young pitcher like Blanton or Ian Snell. If Greinke breaks out and both Bannister and Meche prove to be solid #3's, then they are only two starters away from a rotation capable of competing in this division. I also expect to see one of Teahen/DeJesus dealt with an eye towards more power in the OF. Another low risk/high reward deal wouldn't be surprising either, especially for someone like Nick Johnson or Rich Harden.

turners56
02-27-2008, 08:15 AM
The initial predictions were so biased...Thome MVP? xD.

soxfanatlanta
02-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Incorrect.

You've been reading Fenway's posts too much; Sabathia had the better season in almost every category - let it go.

russ99
02-27-2008, 10:26 AM
A few things...
Houston is a JOKE, with half their rotation gone and having traded the lions share of their talent for a guy in Tejada that might go to jail. Also, don't sell short the impact Biggio retiring will have on their clubhouse.

First off, you may be right about their starting staff, but their bullpen is surprisingly deep and they have one of the top 5 lineups in the NL with Bourn, Matsui, Tejada, Berkman, Lee, Pence, Wigginton and Towles (still, not saying much).

Also, it took the feds about 9-10 months to charge Bonds, so Tejada won't go to jail this season, if at all. Also, the Astros have Mark Loretta on the bench who's more than capable of riding out a 2-3 month stint at SS.

The Astros under Wade will be a lot like the Phillies under Wade - about scoring lots of runs and hoping the pitchers don't give up too many runs.

Still, I don't see them worse than any other team in the Central, save the Brewers who I think will put it together this year and the Cubs who will have another post-division champ hangover and fall to 3rd. The Reds are a year away and the Pirates 2 years. St. Louis is the team that's the JOKE...

thomas35forever
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't even know who to pick for the NL Central. All the Cubs got in the offseason really were Fukudome and Lieber and I'm not sold on the Brewers because of how they collapsed last year. I want to pick the Cardinals, but they're just aging and they don't really seem like a contender. Nor does Houston. Cincy and Pitt are just Cincy and Pitt. I guess I might have to go with the Cubs, who'll win about 85 games this year. They'd be a third-place team anywhere else. Whoever does come out of that division will easily get swept.