PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson Question

Qdiddy
02-23-2008, 12:07 PM
I want to start out by saying I'm not a Brian Anderson fan, but what if he finally starts hitting like everyone originally thought he would? It was reported that he's finally "Grown Up" and in the best shape of his life. I don't think there's any question about him being our best defensive outfielder. I know Crede took a few yeas to finally get comfortable at the big league level and start producing.

What do you guys think? If he starts hitting do we:

A. Keep him, maybe giving him another shot at winning Center Field
B. Trade him, Package him and Crede/Fields somewhere?
C. whocares it's Brian Anderson

Again, for some reason I think he might have a good spring so I'm just trying to get everyones opinion on the situation.

Later,

"Q"

munchman33
02-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I want to start out by saying I'm not a Brian Anderson fan, but what if he finally starts hitting like everyone originally thought he would? It was reported that he's finally "Grown Up" and in the best shape of his life. I don't think there's any question about him being our best defensive outfielder. I know Crede took a few yeas to finally get comfortable at the big league level and start producing.

What do you guys think? If he starts hitting do we:

A. Keep him, maybe giving him another shot at winning Center Field
B. Trade him, Package him and Crede/Fields somewhere?
C. whocares it's Brian Anderson

Again, for some reason I think he might have a good spring so I'm just trying to get everyones opinion on the situation.

Later,

"Q"

That "report" came from Brian's agent.

My patience for Brian Anderson ran out before last season. I don't see how anyone could still be on his side.

DumpJerry
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't see him getting out of Ozzie's doghouse. The only reason they would bring him on the 25 man roster is to showcase him for a trade.

rdwj
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
BA is still pretty young. I honestly believe he's going to be a solid CF somewhere; just probably not here unfortunately.

sox1970
02-23-2008, 12:23 PM
He'll get traded before opening day. A change of scenery will do him some good. Padres seem like a good fit.

btrain929
02-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Until Quentin gets hurt or absolutely blows in spring training, Anderson won't be on the big league squad in '08. If he does tear it up in the spring, other teams will notice, and KW will try to get a nice return for him. If not, he can prove himself in '08 in Charlotte and make our decision a lot easier for our OF in '09: Swisher, Anderson, Quentin/Dye (depending on the DH situation).

With all that said, I doubt it happens. I don't care what shape you're in. He flat out looked terrible and ridiculously overmatched at the plate every time I saw him.

btrain929
02-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't see him getting out of Ozzie's doghouse. The only reason they would bring him on the 25 man roster is to showcase him for a trade.

Hard to showcase him from the bench. The only possible way for this to happen is if Owens sucks in ST AND Quentin sucks or injures himself. Besides that, too many OF'ers are ahead of him for him to deserve a spot on the 25 man.

jabrch
02-23-2008, 12:31 PM
If he really is in as good of shape as we heard, he should tear up ST, get sent down to the minors to open the season, tear up AAA and boost his value to a team out of it in the summer. Then we might be able to to trade him to get something of value, or decide that we have a spot for him.

Trading him now would be a bad idea - his value can't get much lower.

veeter
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
BA is still pretty young. I honestly believe he's going to be a solid CF somewhere; just probably not here unfortunately.I do too. But with Swisher, Owens and Quentin there's no where for him. Add the fact Jermaine is cemented in right, he'll be traded or demoted.

Chicken Dinner
02-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Lets see if he learned to hit.

Frontman
02-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Lets see if he learned to hit.

Tell me about it. He can be as mature as he wants, but if he's still swinging at 55 foot curve balls and standing pat on a flat-as-a-board 90 mile an hour pitch dead center over the plate?

He's not worth the time on the roster if he can't figure out that batting in the majors isn't like batting on a video game.

TomBradley72
02-23-2008, 01:33 PM
If BA can show the ability to hit in the .270's...I think he can be a valuable part of this team...outstanding defense, and the only true RH hitting CF on the roster.

I think he's worth one more legitimate look in spring training...our roster is filled with "high ceiling" prospects that haven't really produced at the major league level but KW believes can turn the corner (Floyd, Danks, Richar, Quentin, Owens...to a lesser degree Thornton, Logan) and major league veterans coming off horrible years (Contreras, MacDougal).

I'd give BA a legitimate shot for 3-4 weeks of spring training and see what happens. If he has options left, put him back at AAA or trade him for a box of bobbleheads.

Metalthrasher442
02-23-2008, 01:36 PM
I think we should give him another chance. His glove is really strong and I have a feeling he'll tear up ST and hopefully when we bring him up for a few games..(due to injury and such) he should be able to prove he's finally ready for a full season.

btrain929
02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
If BA can show the ability to hit in the .270's...I think he can be a valuable part of this team...outstanding defense, and the only true RH hitting CF on the roster.

I think he's worth one more legitimate look in spring training...our roster is filled with "high ceiling" prospects that haven't really produced at the major league level but KW believes can turn the corner (Floyd, Danks, Richar, Quentin, Owens...to a lesser degree Thornton, Logan) and major league veterans coming off horrible years (Contreras, MacDougal).

I'd give BA a legitimate shot for 3-4 weeks of spring training and see what happens. If he has options left, put him back at AAA or trade him for a box of bobbleheads.

Why would this earn him brownie points on a lineup already flooded with RH hitters?

California Sox
02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Anderson was singled out yesterday by Ozzie who said it's the best he has ever looked at the plate. I'll tell you, it would be a nice problem to have. If they think he's going to be good, you can't trade him because you'd never get value. He is so easily the best defensive centerfielder that they have that it is hard for me to imagine him not making the team if he hits.

sox1970
02-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Anderson was singled out yesterday by Ozzie who said it's the best he has ever looked at the plate. I'll tell you, it would be a nice problem to have. If they think he's going to be good, you can't trade him because you'd never get value. He is so easily the best defensive centerfielder that they have that it is hard for me to imagine him not making the team if he hits.

They may be talking him up just to make him more tradeable. What's done is done. When they traded for Quentin and Swisher, Anderson was done.

California Sox
02-23-2008, 06:42 PM
My point is you are not going to get anything for him. They have so driven down his value that the Sox will get something similar to what they got for Aardsma, aka "nothing." It's better to hold onto him. Also, no one knows if Quentin is going to be ready for the season. If Anderson has a great spring, I think he can force himself into the picture especially given the fact he is the team's only true centerfielder.

ode to veeck
02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
I'll tell you, it would be a nice problem to have.

exactly, and he is easily the best defensive CF we've seen in recent years, including "crash" Aaron

kittle42
02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
My point is you are not going to get anything for him. They have so driven down his value that the Sox will get something similar to what they got for Aardsma, aka "nothing." It's better to hold onto him. Also, no one knows if Quentin is going to be ready for the season. If Anderson has a great spring, I think he can force himself into the picture especially given the fact he is the team's only true centerfielder.

I am no fan of Anderson, but why does everyone assume Quentin is solid?

KyWhiSoxFan
02-23-2008, 07:00 PM

I agree. What is the point of just dumping him if you can't get any value? While he may not have a future or may still be in Ozzie's doghouse, keep him and send him down to AAA. If what BA says is true--he now takes his job seriously and can and will act like a pro--he'll play well and force the Sox to take notice of him. The outfield of the Sox is far from set, particularly for 2009.

munchman33
02-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Mostly scouting reports. The few times I've seen him hit, I was rather impressed.

KW seems to have tremendous faith in him. I mean, his #1 priority this offseason was to acquire Carlos Quentin. Not someone like Carlos Quentin, but actually Carlos Quentin.

Take it FWIW. I've been about as critical of Kenny as anyone here, but I tend to agree with him on Quentin. The kids gonna mash, and he's probably gonna mash now.

TomBradley72
02-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Why would this earn him brownie points on a lineup already flooded with RH hitters?

Owens struggles against LHs (.235 last year)....I don't like Swisher's defense in CF...I believe it will catch up with us and cost us games.

TomBradley72
02-23-2008, 08:39 PM

I agree...I hope Quentin turns out to be as good as advertised...but the fact is, he's a .235 career hitter at age 25, Owens is unproven at age 26 and Swisher is NOT an every day CF.

We have no organizational depth at any position...unless BA is out of options...the idea of just "dumping him" is ridiculous. We need to face reality...we have almost zero position prospects that could make a difference for us in 2008-2009..we're not in a position to dump players with any potential at all that still have options left....if for no other reason than providing depth in case of injury.

A. Cavatica
02-23-2008, 10:00 PM
KW seems to have tremendous faith in him. I mean, his #1 priority this offseason was to acquire Carlos Quentin. Not someone like Carlos Quentin, but actually Carlos Quentin.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could KW be over-valuing Quentin, a fellow Stanford alum?

:LTP

"Over-valuing? No way. Carlos can be as good as I was!"

Lorenzo Barcelo
02-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but could KW be over-valuing Quentin, a fellow Stanford alum?

:LTP

"Over-valuing? No way. Carlos can be as good as I was!"

True, but from Quentin's small sample size, he has never averaged 1 k for every 3 abs like good 'ol Joe did.

ChiTownTrojan
02-24-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm still rooting for BA. What's wrong with keeping him on the roster as a fifth outfielder? Even if he can't hit, he can be valuable as a defensive replacement late in games.

champagne030
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
They may be talking him up just to make him more tradeable. What's done is done. When they traded for Quentin and Swisher, Anderson was done.

Pretty much what Oswaldo is doing with Floyd............

MisterB
02-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I agree...I hope Quentin turns out to be as good as advertised...but the fact is, he's a .235 career hitter at age 25, Owens is unproven at age 26 and Swisher is NOT an every day CF.

Why do people bring up career stats for guys that haven't even amassed a season's worth of playing time in the majors? :?:

Hitmen77
02-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I say keep Anderson. He has almost no trade value right now and he has 2 minor league options left. He might not have a spot in our current OF, but what if one of our starters gets injured? It wouldn't hurt to have BA in the mix in case one of our main OFs goes down.

BoysMom3
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
My opinion remains the same - he's one heck of a center fielder, and if we trade him, we'll end up being sorry. If his bat comes around this ST, I want to see him play!

Metalthrasher442
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
My opinion remains the same - he's one heck of a center fielder, and if we trade him, we'll end up being sorry. If his bat comes around this ST, I want to see him play!

I can't say I disagree with that. It's just the whole bat coming around thing..kind of a long shot.

Daver
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I can't say I disagree with that. It's just the whole bat coming around thing..kind of a long shot.

Not really, he tore up the pitching in every level of the minors before being called up to the majors.

Metalthrasher442
02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Not really, he tore up the pitching in every level of the minors before being called up to the majors.

Yeah let me rephrase that. Him bringing the same bat from ST is kind of a long shot. Although it would be amazing if he could hit around .280 and start for us:) But I could see Carlos Quentin being the man to have the better year and I'd rather give Quentin a shot..we've already given Anderson a couple.

TomBradley72
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Why do people bring up career stats for guys that haven't even amassed a season's worth of playing time in the majors? :?:

Fair enough.

Quentin is a 25 y.o. prospect (who will turn 26 in August) who has hit for .235 avg/.316 OBP in his first 395 ABs in the majors.

He may turn out to be a productive hitter...but I disagree with folks who seem to feel he's a "lock" to be a productive/every day OF.

michned
02-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Just an fyi, Quentin seems to be participating in all the drills. I checked out their practice yesterday and Quentin was taking his regular turns batting, and took part in all the defensive drills I saw.

California Sox
02-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Just an fyi, Quentin seems to be participating in all the drills. I checked out their practice yesterday and Quentin was taking his regular turns batting, and took part in all the defensive drills I saw.

Yeah, so far so good. In the paper he reports just a little soreness. But 4.5 months after surgery there can be setbacks.

btrain929
02-25-2008, 01:11 AM

How'd he look at the plate and in the field??

michned
02-25-2008, 01:48 AM
How'd he look at the plate and in the field??

Nothing really stood out as unique, but he got some good rips off of Contreras, Wasserman, and Egbert. In the fly ball drills he seemed very comfortable in left field. (And off-topic, but Alexei Ramirez looked very smooth at short.)

redsand22
02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I like BA and think that his defensive skills are outstanding. I understand that he has to come around hitting wise, and I hope he will. I realize he had a chance to prove himself, but I wish it would've just been a bit more consistant. Oh well, I'm fine with whoever has the hotter bat at the time.

Rounding_Third
02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Fair enough.

Quentin is a 25 y.o. prospect (who will turn 26 in August) who has hit for .235 avg/.316 OBP in his first 395 ABs in the majors.

He may turn out to be a productive hitter...but I disagree with folks who seem to feel he's a "lock" to be a productive/every day OF.

Well said. I hope the guy has a big year but he's proven nothing. His weak stats are from the NL, to boot. Just because KW says he's a great player doesn't make it fact.

gr8mexico
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
BA seems like he's doing good. Has anyone seen him live?

nodiggity59
02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm pissed b/c Owens has no place on this team if BA plays well. Here's my ideal roster if BA shows a big improvment:

CF Swisher
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
1B Konerko
RF Dye
C AJP
3B Fields
LF Quentin
2B Uribe

Hall
Ramirez
BA
Pablo

Owens and Richar go to AAA if BA and Uribe play well, IMO.

SSrep
02-28-2008, 04:53 PM
There's no reason that if BA shows he has matured and can handle big league pitching consistently, we shouldn't hang on to him for now.

02-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Owens struggles against LHs (.235 last year)....I don't like Swisher's defense in CF...I believe it will catch up with us and cost us games.

Go to oakland's top plays August 31st, then tell me swisher you don't like swisher in CF

jabrch
02-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Go to oakland's top plays August 31st, then tell me swisher you don't like swisher in CF

One play, of course, doesn't make a guy a great CF. At the same time, there are people who have wrongfully concluded that Swisher CAN'T play CF when the real answser is that we don't know if he can or not. There's a difference.

Goose
02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Why does it seem that most of the people on this board think that the only option of BA is to trade him (not everyone, I know, but the majority)? If he proves that he can hit MLB level pitching, then why would you not start him in CF, move Swish to 1b and trade (I can't believe I am typing this) Paulie? Or better yet, somehow trade Thome and move PK to DH? There are options. If BA has improved (how long did it take for Crede to become CLUTCH CREDE?) then he should get the chance. Some people take longer than others to catch up to MLB pitching, maybe BA has turned the corner. To me, he is a LTP...keep him for as long as you can to see if he has what it takes, if not then trade him for a bag of balls, if he does, then you are ahead of the game.

rdivaldi
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
if not then trade him for a bag of balls, if he does, then you are ahead of the game.

Hope that bag of balls turns into another Thornton...

Goose
02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Hope that bag of balls turns into another Thornton...

Right...you never know. We have too much invested in him to not take him to the finishline. If worse comes to worst, then we trade him with as much value he has now (nothing)...we will not be losing much.

Jjav829
02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Why does it seem that most of the people on this board think that the only option of BA is to trade him (not everyone, I know, but the majority)? If he proves that he can hit MLB level pitching, then why would you not start him in CF, move Swish to 1b and trade (I can't believe I am typing this) Paulie? Or better yet, somehow trade Thome and move PK to DH? There are options. If BA has improved (how long did it take for Crede to become CLUTCH CREDE?) then he should get the chance. Some people take longer than others to catch up to MLB pitching, maybe BA has turned the corner. To me, he is a LTP...keep him for as long as you can to see if he has what it takes, if not then trade him for a bag of balls, if he does, then you are ahead of the game.

There is absolutely 0.00% that the Sox trade Konerko because Anderson plays well in Spring Training. That would be a ridiculously bad idea.

voodoochile
02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
There is absolutely 0.00% that the Sox trade Konerko because Anderson plays well in Spring Training. That would be a ridiculously bad idea.

Why are people so hyped up to trade off good hitters to improve the farm system?

If you can land a #3 pitcher or more, then it's worth discussing, but unless that's the offer, don't **** with the offense...

cheezheadsoxfan
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM

I'm with you. Yeah, the bat needs to come around but I hate to see that defense go. Owens doesn't impress me much and as others have said he's (BA) the only true centerfielder we have.

Jaysox
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I'd like to keep him around. If he hits well, we can always use another bat and we know his D is solid. Watching him in 06 was painful but I really think BA is gonna be a good player, with or without the sox. I'd rather not trade away anymore young talent this year unless, its for a SP.

gr8mexico
02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I'd like to keep him around. If he hits well, we can always use another bat and we know his D is solid. Watching him in 06 was painful but I really think BA is gonna be a good player, with or without the sox. I'd rather not trade away anymore young talent this year unless, its for a SP.
I wonder if BA and Crede look really good in Spring Training can the Sox package them to the Giants for Matt Cain. Maybe BA, Crede, Floyd for Matt Cain.

PeoriaSoxFan
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I have been the biggest BA basher on this site, but I gave him kudos for his first two games of the spring. It would be nice to see him establish some consistency and turn the corner. Way too early to judge BA this year, but on the other hand, I am declaring Alexei Ramirez a superstar after only one meaningless spring training game.

RowanDye
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm pissed b/c Owens has no place on this team if BA plays well. Here's my ideal roster if BA shows a big improvment:

CF Swisher
SS Cabrera
DH Thome
1B Konerko
RF Dye
C AJP
3B Fields
LF Quentin
2B Uribe

Hall
Ramirez
BA
Pablo

Owens and Richar go to AAA if BA and Uribe play well, IMO.

I don't see why it's a given that Owens goes to AAA rather than Quentin. IMO Quentin has yet to prove himself, and despite differences in potential, Owens is the only one of the three battling OFs with any success in the majors.

I'm also struggling to see why Ozzie NEEDS to carry 12 pitchers out of spring training. IMO this business of declaring what they're going to do months ahead of time is foolish of the organization. If the pitchers are set, and competition has yet to play itself out among the position players, then why not carry an extra outfielder until a decision is easier to make?!

One play, of course, doesn't make a guy a great CF. At the same time, there are people who have wrongfully concluded that Swisher CAN'T play CF when the real answser is that we don't know if he can or not. There's a difference.

Maybe Swisher CAN be an everyday CF, but the results so far suggest that he will be average at best.

Daver
02-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Maybe Swisher CAN be an everyday CF, but the results so far suggest that he will be average at best.

I'll take average over Owens.

Jjav829
02-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I wonder if BA and Crede look really good in Spring Training can the Sox package them to the Giants for Matt Cain. Maybe BA, Crede, Floyd for Matt Cain.

And if that's not enough, we can just keep adding in more crap. Who needs quality when you have quantity?

oeo
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM
And if that's not enough, we can just keep adding in more crap. Who needs quality when you have quantity?

Would people stop even bringing up Cain's name? It's not happening. He's not going anywhere. The Giants have absolutely no reason to move the guy...it would be a stupid move, regardless. Even that rumored Rios for Cain deal would have been dumb from the Giants end, and Rios is much better than any of the crap that's being named here.

FedEx227
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Would people stop even bringing up Cain's name? It's not happening. He's not going anywhere. The Giants have absolutely no reason to move the guy...it would be a stupid move, regardless. Even that rumored Rios for Cain deal would have been dumb from the Giants end, and Rios is much better than any of the crap that's being named here.

Thank you. The only movable person on that rotation is Lowry. The Giants and the rest of the MLB know that his season last year was a result of a crappy team, he still pitched pretty damn good.

7-16... BUT 3.65 ERA, 1.2 WHIP, 163 Ks, 79 BB, 200 IP, 22 quality starts. He can hardly be considered entirely accountable for a 7-16 record.

So to think we're going to get him in a deal straight up for ANY of our expendable positional players is laughable.

Frontman
02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I would love to keep BA, IF he would finally play at the level of his potential.

02-29-2008, 12:52 AM

but that play proves he can hold the fort down at CF. People act like this guy is just some big stiff out there thats just gonna get his feet tangled and fall down every single time a fly ball is hit out to him

guillen4life13
02-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Looks like the Sox are thinking of BA as more of a LF player in 2008? This is kind of confusing, considering BA is the best defensive CF in the Sox system right now. Why wouldn't he be in CF when the next best option is Swisher, on whom the jury is still out.

FedEx227
02-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Looks like the Sox are thinking of BA as more of a LF player in 2008? This is kind of confusing, considering BA is the best defensive CF in the Sox system right now. Why wouldn't he be in CF when the next best option is Swisher, on whom the jury is still out.

What I think they're doing is putting him in LF just to give other guys time at CF. Defense is more of an important factor for Swisher, Quentin, Owens than it is for Anderson. Anderson, however, needs ABs so put him out there in LF and find out if he can hit and put the other guys in CF and see if they can play D.

California Sox
03-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I also think they're giving Anderson time in LF because he's battling for the 4th OF spot and they don't want to move either Owens or Swisher around a lot. (Although Swisher played 1b today, so what do I know?) Of course, there's still a chance that BA sneaks in and steals a job. He looks good so far.

Taliesinrk
03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Is it just me, or is this spring more wide open than most any in recent history? I feel like there are 1,000 different options of what we'll see come opening day.. and on that note, the last day of the season as well. This, of course, could also be a good thing.

Taliesinrk
03-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm also struggling to see why Ozzie NEEDS to carry 12 pitchers out of spring training. IMO this business of declaring what they're going to do months ahead of time is foolish of the organization. If the pitchers are set, and competition has yet to play itself out among the position players, then why not carry an extra outfielder until a decision is easier to make?!

I could be stretching here, but could they have made the 12 pitcher declaration in order to give a larger sense of urgency in those players battling to be on the squad? I mean, is it possible that if they think there's one less opportunity, they'll work even harder?