PDA

View Full Version : Prince Fielder becomes vegetarian

HomeFish
02-23-2008, 09:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Prince-Fielder-is-on-an-all-sunflower-seed-diet?urn=mlb,67984

Says it's because his wife bought him a book about how cows are slaughtered that "grossed him out", rather than for health reasons.

Juice16
02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Good for him, I wish I had that conviction to follow through.

thegooch
02-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Link not working.

I'm not saying that Prince was ever a roid-rager(and Im not even sure he has lost weight), but I'm surprised other major leaguers haven't used this as their excuse for coming to spring training 30lbs lighter. I mean, when Pudge showed up in Tigers camp a few years back he looked like he was ill because of all the weight loss.

rdwj
02-23-2008, 10:42 AM
He's going to drop on my fantasy want list. Beef is good for hitting the long ball!

oeo
02-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Link not working.

I'm not saying that Prince was ever a roid-rager(and Im not even sure he has lost weight), but I'm surprised other major leaguers haven't used this as their excuse for coming to spring training 30lbs lighter. I mean, when Pudge showed up in Tigers camp a few years back he looked like he was ill because of all the weight loss.

I don't think Prince is going to come in as some little guy. He'll never be a small guy, that's a big boy.

chaerulez
02-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't see how anyone can go through life without craving a steak.

johnr1note
02-23-2008, 11:54 AM
If God intended us to be vegetarians, he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.

munchman33
02-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't see how anyone can go through life without craving a steak.

I don't see how anyone could go through life craving a steak.

Yuck.

TheOldRoman
02-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing all the vegetables Prince eats will be deep fried.

TheOldRoman
02-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Yuck.
Then I'm guessing you have never had one. At least, never had a good one. I love steak, beef, chicken, turkey, and lots of other living things. It is fine that you don't. In my experience, the majority of vegetarians do so just to thumb their nose at people and show how intellectually superior they are to the peons eating meat. Just like this girl I used to date - she would proudly tell people she was a vegetarian, but when she went to Denny's she would wolf down chicken strips and cheese fries covered in bacon.

However, for the people who genuinely are vegetarian, you have to commend them for sticking with their principles and doing what they think is right. I think there is nothing immoral about eating meat, so se la vi.

EndemicSox
02-23-2008, 01:17 PM
"You'll turn into a monkey!"

Good news for the Flubs...

Frontman
02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm guessing all the vegetables Prince eats will be deep fried.

Either way, these guys are now scared:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/vt_everybody.jpg

Although, if he heard about what farmers do to rid their fields of insects and rodents; he'd probably starve.......

JorgeFabregas
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Good news for the Flubs...
Supposedly Hank Aaron is/was a vegetarian. I know Carl Lewis is a vegan. There are vegetarian bodybuilders. No reason you can't be a strong vegetarian.

munchman33
02-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Then I'm guessing you have never had one. At least, never had a good one. I love steak, beef, chicken, turkey, and lots of other living things. It is fine that you don't. In my experience, the majority of vegetarians do so just to thumb their nose at people and show how intellectually superior they are to the peons eating meat. Just like this girl I used to date - she would proudly tell people she was a vegetarian, but when she went to Denny's she would wolf down chicken strips and cheese fries covered in bacon.

However, for the people who genuinely are vegetarian, you have to commend them for sticking with their principles and doing what they think is right. I think there is nothing immoral about eating meat, so se la vi.

I ate pretty much nothing but meat exclusively growing up. My mother had an "old country" mentality. I've had every type of meat possible to eat.

Meat disgusts me.

Now, when it comes to morality...my personal belief is also that there is nothing wrong with eating meat; unless you eat it in this country. It is completely unnecessary to eat meat in our culture. It is simply a luxury. And the way we go about producing meat is deplorable.

TornLabrum
02-23-2008, 02:57 PM
One of the important reasons our ancestors survived and became the dominant species on the planet was because they could eat just about anything. Therefore, they weren't confined to just one niche (herbivore or carnivore). They were omnivores, and this aided in their survival.

My attitude is this: Feel free to go ahead and eat whatever you want so long as you don't start telling others (especially me) what they should eat.

dickallen15
02-23-2008, 03:01 PM
There are plenty of overweight vegetarians as well. Like was stated before, good for him. I know I couldn't do it. I need some meat every now and then. My wife is a vegetarian who will eat fish, but no other meat, so I do get plenty of "healthy" meals with fake chicken, and whatever. At first it was difficult, but its not that bad now, except for the occassional craving. I did watch Fast Food Nation and saw the scene at the end of the slaughtering of the animals, and it did make the cravings go away for a little while.

munchman33
02-23-2008, 03:09 PM
My attitude is this: Feel free to go ahead and eat whatever you want so long as you don't start telling others (especially me) what they should eat.

I'd have no problem with that if we weren't so unneccesarily cruel to the livestock in this country. But since we are, people that continue to eat meat from super markets are just as responsible as those that mistreat animals. I have no qualm in telling those people that they shouldn't eat meat.

gobears1987
02-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd have no problem with that if we weren't so unneccesarily cruel to the livestock in this country. But since we are, people that continue to eat meat from super markets are just as responsible as those that mistreat animals. I have no qualm in telling those people that they shouldn't eat meat.
Eat Kosher meat then. Kosher livestock are considered traif if they are mistreated in any way. There were a few Kosher meat farms where the livestock was mistreated. The local Rabbis removed the Kosher heksher from all beef raised there.

turners56
02-23-2008, 04:04 PM
I doubt this would happen...we'll see him at McDonalds some day buying 5 big macs.
If they find cow slaughtering disgusting...that doesn't mean they won't eat meat anymore. They don't know how pigs, chicken, or other meats are slaughtered...also there is fish...who aren't slaughtered but just caught. I say their excuse is just a way for people to stop complaining about Fielder being fat.

munchman33
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Eat Kosher meat then. Kosher livestock are considered traif if they are mistreated in any way. There were a few Kosher meat farms where the livestock was mistreated. The local Rabbis removed the Kosher heksher from all beef raised there.

I wish more people did.

I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste. And I personally don't find it edifying. But I have no problem with others eating meat that did not suffer.

twentywontowin
02-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Yuck.

Even a carrot screams when you rip it from the ground.

Frontman
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM
I wish more people did.

I don't eat meat because I don't like the taste. And I personally don't find it edifying. But I have no problem with others eating meat that did not suffer.

You do understand that you're a fan of possibly the worst sport as far as treating animals and livestock properly, right?

TheOldRoman
02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I doubt this would happen...we'll see him at McDonalds some day buying 5 big macs.
If they find cow slaughtering disgusting...that doesn't mean they won't eat meat anymore. They don't know how pigs, chicken, or other meats are slaughtered...also there is fish...who aren't slaughtered but just caught. I say their excuse is just a way for people to stop complaining about Fielder being fat. I don't think he would have any problems not eating meat on the road. He is staying in five star hotels that have 24 hour gourmet kitchens. It isn't like he will be in a Taco Bell at 2 am with Ben Sheets trying to find a healthy item.

thomas35forever
02-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Either way, these guys are now scared:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/images/vt_everybody.jpg

"If you like to talk to tomatoes
If a squash can make you smile
If you like to waltz with potatoes
Up and down the produce aisle..."

Then Prince Fielder's your new favorite athlete.:redneck

munchman33
02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
You do understand that you're a fan of possibly the worst sport as far as treating animals and livestock properly, right?

Please explain because I am unaware. If you're refering to leather...well I don't much see what I can do about usage of leather. I don't wear it. But I do realize that substitute materials are not as durable.

My vegan dress shoes suck ass. I need new shoes every two months or so.

Frontman
02-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Please explain because I am unaware. If you're refering to leather...well I don't much see what I can do about usage of leather. I don't wear it. But I do realize that substitute materials are not as durable.

My vegan dress shoes suck ass. I need new shoes every two months or so.

Well, beyond the use of canvas and leather in sporting goods, every time you visit the Cell you're surrounded by meat eaters who don't give a second thought on the suffering done to the animals that give us our brats, dogs, and burgers.

Much less the chicken sandwiches.

And those poor cute churros.

munchman33
02-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, beyond the use of canvas and leather in sporting goods, every time you visit the Cell you're surrounded by meat eaters who don't give a second thought on the suffering done to the animals that give us our brats, dogs, and burgers.

Much less the chicken sandwiches.

And those poor cute churros.

My not going isn't affecting their consumption. In fact, my going and purchasing veggie only items only helps the cause. The more people buying, the more prevelant it is in the market, and eventually better quality veggie foods will appear. More options means less people eating meat.

Railsplitter
02-23-2008, 10:07 PM
One of the important reasons our ancestors survived and became the dominant species on the planet was because they could eat just about anything. Therefore, they weren't confined to just one niche (herbivore or carnivore). They were omnivores, and this aided in their survival.

Amen.

soxfan26
02-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I just might join him.

I ate a burger for lunch, it was pretty good. Now a few hours after I'm feeling pretty awful, couldn't even bring myself to eat dinner.

slavko
02-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Supposedly Hank Aaron is/was a vegetarian. I know Carl Lewis is a vegan. There are vegetarian bodybuilders. No reason you can't be a strong vegetarian.

Don't forget Maurice Lucas, prototypical intimidating NBA power forward did it on a veggie diet. Look him up on basketball-reference.com if you're unfamiliar. (Bulls draft choice, signed instead with ABA, played on Portland TBlazer champ team, same old story.)

pmck003
02-24-2008, 04:41 AM
I ate prettymuch nothing but meat exclusively growing up. My mother had an "old country" mentality. I've had every type of meat possible to eat.

Meat disgusts me.

Now, when it comes to morality...my personal belief is also that there is nothing wrong with eating meat; unless you eat it in this country. It is completely unnecessary to eat meat in our culture. It is simply a luxury. And the way we go about producing meat is deplorable.

I love eating steaks and meat. I don't mind how we kill cows all the time. Do plants not have feelings?

In fact, I deplore you for eating of vegtables. Plants have shown the same behavior and feelings than humans have (here is one example of many http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/apr/13/johnhooperat)

It is unnecessary to eat plants when we can make artificial vitamins to keep you alive and starch to fill your stomach.

PETA People Eating Tasty Animals

It's Dankerific
02-24-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm a carnivore (omnivore) and always will be. That doesnt mean I believe that my animals should be tortured before I eat them. That means no KFC. (they are the only major fast food company to continue the inhumane electroshock "killing" method. When 5-8% of the chickens aren't dead when they are defeathered or gutted, thats a PROBLEM). It means no supermarket meat either. But I get my meat from a) farmers market, b) butcher or c) co-op. All of it is organic, free range, animals who had it pretty good till meat day. it might cost a bit more, but i really believe you can taste the quality.

munchman33
02-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I love eating steaks and meat. I don't mind how we kill cows all the time. Do plants not have feelings?

In fact, I deplore you for eating of vegtables. Plants have shown the same behavior and feelings than humans have (here is one example of many http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/apr/13/johnhooperat)

It is unnecessary to eat plants when we can make artificial vitamins to keep you alive and starch to fill your stomach.

Look up Lil Wayne "brand new" on Youtube (warning: language)
My shirt brand new

PETA People Eating Tasty Animals

Plants are not sentient beings. They do not have brains, nor are they aware of their own existence.

FarWestChicago
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Plants are not sentient beings. They do not have brains, nor are they aware of their own existence."Cogito, ergo cud".

JorgeFabregas
02-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Even a carrot screams when you rip it from the ground.
Some omnivores like to bring this up, thinking they have a "gotcha" for vegetarians. In fact, omnivores consume far more plants (indirectly) than vegetarians because they sit higher on the food chain. It takes some 30-50 pounds of grain to make one pound of beef.

I (like most vegetarians or most anyone, really) value life on somewhat of a sliding scale. I care more about my dog than my houseplants--and I care more about my family than my dog. I'm not a vegetarian because I expect some moral perfection in my consumption--I just want to cause a little less suffering (via factory farms, etc).

As lifestyle choices go being a vegetarian is not some big sacrifice. There are vegetarian options at almost all restaurants (someone mentioned Taco Bell...well, if he was stuck at Taco Bell there are several vegetarian options and you can ask them to substitute beans for meat for almost any dish).

PatK
02-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Animals are sometimes harmed in the production of vegetables as well.

The superior morality complex that vegetarians suffer from is one reason some people don't like them. I've seen vegetarians that make religious zealots look like normal invidivduals.

Get off the morality high horse.

munchman33
02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Animals are sometimes harmed in the production of vegetables as well.

The superior morality complex that vegetarians suffer from is one reason some people don't like them. I've seen vegetarians that make religious zealots look like normal invidivduals.

Get off the morality high horse.

It's people like you that piss vegetarians off.

Animals of course are going to get harmed in mass production of food. But their is a HUGE difference. The way we produce meat in this country is downright torture to the animals. And to compare that to something like a field mouse running through a field getting hit by a tractor makes you seem pretty insensitive.