PDA

View Full Version : How am I going to listen to the Sox during the day...

manders_01
02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
...when my bosses told us today no listening to talk radio or ball games (and yeah, it's total bull****)? Does anyone know of a music station that gives regular score updates that can be streamed over the net? Unfortunately, I think that's about my only option. No more Gameday for me either - they want us off the net.

kingpin_rcs
02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Let me get this straight. You can't listen to talk radio or ballgames but you can listen to music? Is this over a public system that everyone can hear or with headphones? If the later, then what a load of pure crap! I know that there are services that will send a text message or email to your cell phone. Also, I use the mobile espn gameday when I am not near a computer and it works pretty well.

manders_01
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Let me get this straight. You can't listen to talk radio or ballgames but you can listen to music? Is this over a public system that everyone can hear or with headphones? If the later, then what a load of pure crap! I know that there are services that will send a text message or email to your cell phone. Also, I use the mobile espn gameday when I am not near a computer and it works pretty well.

Yep - he thinks we (I) can't concentrate. That's the real stinker of it, I'm the only one in my office that this new rule affects.

manders_01
02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Looking at the schedule, I did a quick count of only 15 weekday games that start before 3pm (there are two other 3:05 starts). On average over the six month season, it's about 2.5 games a month.

I think you're only choice is to quit your job. :redneck

I better turn in my notice on Monday! :tongue:

3 PM for you is 2 PM for me. :(:

Scottiehaswheels
02-22-2008, 08:38 PM
See if you can get an XM walkman type thing? Have it available to go back and forth between a music/Sox game quickly?

RadioheadRocks
02-22-2008, 08:48 PM
If anything I wish they would stop piping in that godawful Lite Rock station over us at work. I sure as hell can't concentrate with the same 20 or 30 crappy lite rock songs from hell day in and day out (not to mention we still get Delilah at night in these parts). :puking:

Medford Bobby
02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
quit

ksimpson14
02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Can anyone else hear the music? It may be time to bust out some trance/techno, death metal, opera, or 'soldier boy' type songs

Rockman218
02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Time to hit the want ads.

SoxNation05
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
If anything I wish they would stop piping in that godawful Lite Rock station over us at work. I sure as hell can't concentrate with the same 20 or 30 crappy lite rock songs from hell day in and day out (not to mention we still get Delilah at night in these parts). :puking:
My family listens to the Lite during Christmas season and I lose all of my spirit when she is on.

soxfan26
02-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Gameday Audio is blocked at work, along with the game trackers on Yahoo!, MLB and ESPN.

I guess we'll be seeing each other in the gameday threads! :gulp:

manders_01
02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Gameday Audio is blocked at work, along with the game trackers on Yahoo!, MLB and ESPN.

I guess we'll be seeing each other in the gameday threads! :gulp:

I wish. Unfortunately, there are two people in my office that are on forums ALL THE TIME!!! That ticked my bosses off enough that they decided to have this meeting today and say no more. They said aside from work related searches, we are only allowed on before and after work, lunch, and 10 & 3.

As I said several times today, I love it when people ruin stuff for others! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
See if you can get an XM walkman type thing? Have it available to go back and forth between a music/Sox game quickly?Unless you are pretty much right next to a south-facing window (or can figure out a way to run an antenna outside) they don't work indoors.

soxinem1
02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I have a very understanding employer who has no problem with me having the in-game updates going during day games. But despite occasional surfing for non-business stuff, I do not abuse the web like a lot of other people I see.

But I can understand why employers put bans on this stuff.

One, they pay for your services during the time you are in the office. Surfing and music hunting is just lost productivity.

Two, even if they allow it to an extent, there is ALWAYS someone who will abuse it. Always.

And three, depending on how many people are in your office, it takes it's toll on servers having so much bandwith being hoggged.

manders_01
02-23-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a very understanding employer who has no problem with me having the in-game updates going during day games. But despite occasional surfing for non-business stuff, I do not abuse the web like a lot of other people I see.

But I can understand why employers put bans on this stuff.

One, they pay for your services during the time you are in the office. Surfing and music hunting is just lost productivity.

Two, even if they allow it to an extent, there is ALWAYS someone who will abuse it. Always.

And three, depending on how many people are in your office, it takes it's toll on servers having so much bandwith being hoggged.

:hijacked: Employers put bans on the net because someone has abused the system and proves that they can't be trusted, it's rarely a proactive move. The only other internet issue we've ever had in this office is that before be we got our current server, we couldn't stream music. It harkens back to what I said before, someone(s) ruining it for everyone.

[end rant]

roylestillman
02-23-2008, 02:23 PM
"I...I...I was told that I could play the radio at a reasonable volume between 9:00 and 11:00...."

Like they said...quit. Any office that spends time on making behavioral rules like this is probably lost in actually executing its core mission.

manders_01
02-23-2008, 03:04 PM
I feel like my office is getting mired down in all this bull****. As the days go by, stupid ass **** has everyone up in arms. I think much of it is some of the people that are employed in my office right now.

Unfortunately, my profession is on a downswing and finding a job right now looks to be almost impossible. Believe me, I've been looking at the job board to see if it's even feasible.

Medford Bobby
02-23-2008, 03:11 PM
http://topstartup.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/lumbergh1.thumbnail.jpg
"Yea,....we're gonna need to go ahead and talk about listening to these White Sox games in the office"

ksimpson14
02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Hmm, cell phone with Wifi or data plan seems like the only other choice?

Anyone remember those pagers that basically did a primitive version of mobile Gameday? It was always advertised in the Sox programs, I always wanted it when I was younger, getting the same thing on my cell phone made it obsolete though

ksimpson14
02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Or just get MLBTV (can watch any game on-demand, for later) or Extra Innings and a DVR

manders_01
02-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Hmm, cell phone with Wifi or data plan seems like the only other choice?

Anyone remember those pagers that basically did a primitive version of mobile Gameday? It was always advertised in the Sox programs, I always wanted it when I was younger, getting the same thing on my cell phone made it obsolete though

I'm beginning to think that sneaking onto my phone to check the score is going to be my only option. I have internet service on there and the ESPN boxscore works very well on it.

goofymsfan
02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm beginning to think that sneaking onto my phone to check the score is going to be my only option. I have internet service on there and the ESPN boxscore works very well on it.

Unfortunately, that might be your only option as it sounds. :(:

Chicken Dinner
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
At least your only talking about 1 game a week (getaway day) unless you work weekends.

kingpin_rcs
02-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I used to take my cell phone into meetings! You have got to have your priorities straight. White Sox, Sex, Breathing, everything else.

jabrch
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Might justify buying an iPhone?

manders_01
02-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I used to take my cell phone into meetings! You have got to have your priorities straight. White Sox, Sex, Breathing, everything else.

Bears, White Sox, sex, breathing, everything else. :tongue:

CashMan
02-23-2008, 05:58 PM
:hijacked: Employers put bans on the net because someone has abused the system and proves that they can't be trusted, it's rarely a proactive move. The only other internet issue we've ever had in this office is that before be we got our current server, we couldn't stream music. It harkens back to what I said before, someone(s) ruining it for everyone.

[end rant]

Can and do you have a laptop? If so, for about $50 a month you can have wireless internet.

manders_01
02-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Might justify buying an iPhone?

I have a Blackberry - no need for that which IMO is an overpriced piece of ****. :D:

At least your only talking about 1 game a week (getaway day) unless you work weekends.

Probably 2 - I keep track of the Rockies as well. Weekends don't count - that's not 8-5 M-F so I can do what I want.

Can and do you have a laptop? If so, for about $50 a month you can have wireless internet.

:?:

ChiSoxGirl
02-23-2008, 07:20 PM

[end rant]

As my dad told me at a very young age, "a few bad apples spoil it for the whole bunch."

Gremlin3
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry. I don't work in a large corporate office. I'm the gm of a small business and I just got a 47" hdtv at work mainly for sports. Cellphone is going to be your best option. ESPN does work pretty well on a blackberry.

manders_01
02-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry. I don't work in a large corporate office. I'm the gm of a small business and I just got a 47" hdtv at work mainly for sports. Cellphone is going to be your best option. ESPN does work pretty well on a blackberry.

That's the sad part - neither do I. I work in an office of 11.

Gremlin3
02-23-2008, 09:35 PM
That's the sad part - neither do I. I work in an office of 11.

I wouldn't expect that from a small company. That definitely is odd.

manders_01
02-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't expect that from a small company. That definitely is odd.

Yep.

So I've been stewing over this all weekend and of course it's making more and more mad to do so. My productivity does not go down a single ounce when I listen to a game. And one of my bosses have had several discussions about the fact that my productivity doesn't go down. When I'm listening to the game, I'm at my desk usually CADing something up or working on reviewing something. Yet, even after there have been several complaints in the office about the high volume of socializing and personal phone calls, nothing has been done about that. If listening to someone speak is supposed to be distracting, why hasn't the kibosh been put on either of those???

Again, sorry for my rant, I'm just so steamed about this. :angry:

wsgdf
02-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Like a previous poster said, get an XM radio. I just bought a Pioneer Inno, which is a portable player that comes with a docking kit for home/office.

I get great reception downtown and I can't wait for spring training to start.

manders_01
02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Like a previous poster said, get an XM radio. I just bought a Pioneer Inno, which is a portable player that comes with a docking kit for home/office.

I get great reception downtown and I can't wait for spring training to start.

It doesn't matter where the talk radio / games some from, I'm not allowed to listen to it. That's why I was looking for a station that plays music and would give me regular updates.

soxfan26
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I wish. Unfortunately, there are two people in my office that are on forums ALL THE TIME!!! That ticked my bosses off enough that they decided to have this meeting today and say no more. They said aside from work related searches, we are only allowed on before and after work, lunch, and 10 & 3.

As I said several times today, I love it when people ruin stuff for others! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Are they going to employ some sort of filter or is this an honor system thing? I'm not suggesting you test their resolve or anything, just curious.

They started filtering us at work this past summer, most sports sites, shopping, travel stuff, "social networking" sites. However, for some reason WSI isn't blocked. :smile:

soxfan26
02-23-2008, 11:29 PM
It doesn't matter where the talk radio / games some from, I'm not allowed to listen to it. That's why I was looking for a station that plays music and would give me regular updates.

What would their reaction be if you started using headphones regularly?

manders_01
02-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Are they going to employ some sort of filter or is this an honor system thing? I'm not suggesting you test their resolve or anything, just curious.

They started filtering us at work this past summer, most sports sites, shopping, travel stuff, "social networking" sites. However, for some reason WSI isn't blocked. :smile:

It appears it will be the honor system.

What would their reaction be if you started using headphones regularly?

I already do.

kingpin_rcs
02-24-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't smoke but some in my office do. I work on 7th floor of a building and you have to go outside to smoke. Many times I need to talk to one of the smokers I find they are not there because they are out having a smoke. Often they are gone for 10-15 minutes and for some this occurs what seems like 5 or 10 times each day. Of course, nothing is ever said to them.

If you don't smoke perhaps you should "take it up" and go outside for 10 minutes every half hour.

manders_01
02-24-2008, 01:07 AM
I don't smoke but some in my office do. I work on 7th floor of a building and you have to go outside to smoke. Many times I need to talk to one of the smokers I find they are not there because they are out having a smoke. Often they are gone for 10-15 minutes and for some this occurs what seems like 5 or 10 times each day. Of course, nothing is ever said to them.

If you don't smoke perhaps you should "take it up" and go outside for 10 minutes every half hour.

LOL That's a good idea. I'm already a smoker but maybe I'll up the daily intake on game days! :tongue:

CashMan
02-24-2008, 02:50 AM
It appears it will be the honor system.

I already do.

I would test them. If, you can prove that your productivity does not go down, I wouldn't see why you cannot listen to the game. What is the difference, between music and talk radio?

chisoxfanatic
02-24-2008, 02:51 AM
When I used to work retail during the summers in college, I'd eat my lunch in my car so that I could listen to the broadcasts on the radio.

asg2003ws2005
02-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Why not appeal this to your bosses?

ozzman
02-24-2008, 10:14 AM
cash has it right. if you are just going to handle this by getting mad, leave the company. try to show proof of your productivity during the season when you listen to games and then show how it doesn't drop off due to listening to the games. that debunks their productivity issue. if they say it's a noise issue, say you'll get headphones. if they still won't let you, and since you are singled out, leave.

bigfoot
02-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I feel like my office is getting mired down in all this bull****. As the days go by, stupid ass **** has everyone up in arms. I think much of it is some of the people that are employed in my office right now.

Unfortunately, my profession is on a downswing and finding a job right now looks to be almost impossible. Believe me, I've been looking at the job board to see if it's even feasible.

It would seem that you've answered the question that you posed here. The profession is on a downswing and this latest "reduction of perks" may be a covert attempt to weed out a number of employees without the nasty/expensive business of layoffs/firings. Your employer must know of all his employees' preferences, as it is a very small firm. There could well be a method to his/her madness. (just a thought).:gulp:

jabrch
02-24-2008, 12:06 PM

I think this one will be much worse this summer in the loop. You need to be far enough away from a building to be in compliance with law. The problem is that the buildings are all right on top of eachother.

I'm not a smoker either - but I find this particular law to be assinine. Same as your employer's policy. My rule with my employees is that (as long as they aren't imposing on others) I don't care what they do - provided they are productive. If an iPod with headphones is good for them - so be it. I post a bit during the day, and keep Gamecenter or something on in the background. As long as I deliver on my committments, my boss is ok with it. I'm the same with my staff.

BoysMom3
02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
That stinks, Manders. So unfair.

itsnotrequired
02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
I would test them. If, you can prove that your productivity does not go down, I wouldn't see why you cannot listen to the game. What is the difference, between music and talk radio?

For me, I can't concentrate on talking audio and my work at the same time. One or the other gets tuned out. Music works well for background noise for me. If I really need to concentrate on something, I ditch the music as well.

But that's just me.

manders_01
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I think this one will be much worse this summer in the loop. You need to be far enough away from a building to be in compliance with law. The problem is that the buildings are all right on top of eachother.

I'm not a smoker either - but I find this particular law to be assinine. Same as your employer's policy. My rule with my employees is that (as long as they aren't imposing on others) I don't care what they do - provided they are productive. If an iPod with headphones is good for them - so be it. I post a bit during the day, and keep Gamecenter or something on in the background. As long as I deliver on my committments, my boss is ok with it. I'm the same with my staff.

Not to change the subject, but it may be distance from doors, not the building. In CO, it's from the door, each city is required to designate the distance.

soxwon
02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
That sucks but consider this how many sox games are played during the week in the afternoon?
April 6 games
may 2 games
june 4 games
july 1 game
aug 2 games
sept 1 game

16 games all season, so its not too bad