PDA

View Full Version : Sox to wear NIU Caps

RTI_SoxFan
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Great job to the entire White Sox organization for this one!!!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080221&content_id=2383033&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

PennStater98r
02-21-2008, 04:12 PM
As an older sibling of a sister that was in Cole when the shooter rampaged, this means a lot to me!

Mr. Man
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Didn't Ozzie wear a VT cap in press conferences for a while last season?

Ozzie and Kenny Williams have both been wearing NIU caps (http://homerderby.com/archives/1873) around Spring Training the past week.

It's a class move. Especially the autographs for later auction.

The Dude
02-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Very good to hear them doing something like this. As KW says, 'it is a simple thing to do.' I say why aren't more organizations considerate enough to do things like this. Bravo White Sox.:smile:

DumpJerry
02-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Didn't Ozzie wear a VT cap in press conferences for a while last season?

Ozzie and Kenny Williams have both been wearing NIU caps (http://homerderby.com/archives/1873) around Spring Training the past week.

It's a class move. Especially the autographs for later auction.
Burls' no-no was two days after the VT Shootings. At the post game press conference Mark wore a VT hat and I'm sure most of the team was doing so, too (including Ozzie).

soxfan21
02-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I think that this just shows how classy of an organization that the Sox truly are. This is a great thing to do, and is even better that the Sox are going to sign the hats and use them in a fundraiser for NIU.

thomas35forever
02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
The Bulls wore NIU shirts on the bench last night. Reinsdorf is doing a great job honoring the victims.:thumbsup:

YourPonyDied
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Very classy indeed

Are any other teams in any sport running currently doing anything similar or doing remembrances?

oeo
02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Very classy indeed

Are any other teams in any sport running currently doing anything similar or doing remembrances?

As mentioned before, the Bulls wore NIU shirts yesterday. And I believe the Hawks have been wearing stickers on their helmets.

YourPonyDied
02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
As mentioned before, the Bulls wore NIU shirts yesterday. And I believe the Hawks have been wearing stickers on their helmets.

I was referring to outside of Illinois sports. When VT happened, multiple sports orgs outside of the east here did memorials and remembrances

PopsBrechtel
02-22-2008, 08:27 AM
What a wonderful idea. It's great to see the support that the pros are giving to our universities in the wake of a major tragedy.

spiffie
02-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I wonder how the Windsock will find a way to twist this into some sort of negative.

alohafri
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
I received the press release via email from my ticket rep. today. I told him how proud I am to be a Sox fan, and to thank the organization as an NIU grad.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
I wonder how the Windsock will find a way to twist this into some sort of negative.

Quote :That ******* ****face Ozzie wore an NIU hat is a disgrace to the memory of NIU and that Jerry Reinsdorf, who is close to his retirement, should sell the team to Marck Cuban so Britney Spears and J-Lo can safely visit the Cell.

rdwj
02-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm a bit conflicted about these types of things. I like the tip-of-the-cap to those that were killed, but I think it adds to the motivation for committing one of these horrific crimes. These types want to go out in a "blaze of glory" and to be remembered. The added attention of these events just makes it more appealing to them.

I guess it's nice for the greater majority - so, that's good.

Just my 2 cents.