PDA

View Full Version : The Real News of the Evening

FarWestChicago
04-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Sham-ME Steroids hits a zinger to put the Flubs down 12-2 and hot dogs it around the bases and in the dugout.

:moron

There's true class for you. You Smut Sox fans wouldn't know anything about that.

Daver
04-23-2002, 09:26 PM
:fluffy

I coughed up a hairball for the occasion.

Tragg
Tell me he didn't hotdog it. Tell me he didn't do that assinine sign of the cross while touching his lips in the dugout. Geeze.

sox_fan_4life
Well, you know if sham-me hits a zinger then it counts as a cubs win.

cubs win cubs win cubs win. woohoo

FarWestChicago
04-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Tell me he didn't hotdog it. Tell me he didn't do that assinine sign of the cross while touching his lips in the dugout. Geeze. The whole routine, including the stupid little stutter steps before the bases. What an idiot. I can't believe every pitcher in the league doesn't throw at his head on every at bat. Where is Bob Gibson when you need him?

Tragg
04-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
The whole routine, including the stupid little stutter steps before the bases. What an idiot. I can't believe every pitcher in the league doesn't throw at his head on every at bat. Where is Bob Gibson when you need him?

No kidding - Gibson would set him straight.

The bunny hop, too. He has no shame at all.

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2002, 09:42 PM
The whole routine, including the stupid little stutter steps before the bases. What an idiot. I can't believe every pitcher in the league doesn't throw at his head on every at bat. Where is Bob Gibson when you need him?

Motherf*ck. I saw that they had managed 2 runs, and I was really hoping it wasn't Mr. Flintstones Chewable Vitamins hitting his patented Meaningless Zinger. Damn. You have to admit, he really "steps up" when the Flubbies are down by a touchdown or more!

This after reading some of the most disgusting yet entertaining garbage in today's Tribune, wherein Sham-ME talks at length about the most important thing in his baseball life (his home run totals, not Flubbie wins). I didn't see him once talk about making the playoffs, winning the World Series, or anything of that nature. Such a team player, that guy.

On behalf of my children, I thank Sammy for providing such an entertaining night. I love Wrigley!

doublem23
04-23-2002, 09:55 PM
*****!!!

They just walked Sosa, and the Chimp said, "Boo says the crowd of 30,000+," when you can clearly say that the place is half-empty... if that.

*****! 12-2... Only the Cubs.. Only the Cubs...

RKMeibalane
04-23-2002, 09:56 PM
I hope one the Sox pitchers takes his miserable head off. It's so big it shouldn't be that difficult to hit.

It's funny how Cubs fans always say negative things about Frank Thomas or Magglio Ordonez. Sosa is more deserving of criticism than either of those two, yet the spineless turds in the Chicago media refuse to say anything about it.

You will not see an article by any the sportswriters about Sosa showing up the Giants when his team is trailing by ten. I'd be astonished if anyone had the courage to call him out on that pittiful display. I will say, however, that the person who does so will have my respect forever.

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I hope one the Sox pitchers takes his miserable head off. It's so big it shouldn't be that difficult to hit.

It's funny how Cubs fans always say negative things about Frank Thomas or Magglio Ordonez. Sosa is more deserving of criticism than either of those two, yet the spineless turds in the Chicago media refuse to say anything about it.

You will not see an article by any the sportswriters about Sosa showing up the Giants when his team is trailing by ten. I'd be astonished if anyone had the courage to call him out on that pittiful display. I will say, however, that the person who does so will have my respect forever.

:moron :knue :giangreco :ass

How 'bout that great showman, Sammy Sosa!

DVG
04-23-2002, 10:51 PM

Ah!!!!! Another sellout crowd at Wrigley watches Sammy put one
out!!!! A perfect ending to a perfect night!!! He's now 298 be-
hind Hank Aaron!!! Start the countdown!!!!

nut_stock
04-23-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

This gets me too. Ok I know Frank has put his foot in his mouth a couple times giving them fodder to trash his image, but what the hell did Magglio do? Keeps his mouth shut while he hits .300, 30hrs, and 100rbi's every year. What gives?

Chisox353014
04-23-2002, 11:08 PM
Let's see:
Jason Bere gets rocked? check
Flubs lose big? check
Shammy hits a meaningless zinger? check
Chimp Caray goes into histrionics? check
Drunken Cub fans go home happy? check
Yep, sounds like your typical night at Wrigley to me.
Can't wait to hear all about Sammy's zinger in tomorrow's paper!
"I'm waaayyy ahead of you, my friend"

Isn't there another team in Chicago, a first-place team or something?
:blockhead
"Yeah, but you really need to see this Sammy highlight first, it's AMAZING!!"

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2002, 11:28 PM
"Baseball Tonight" is certainly giving enough airtime to Sham-ME's patented Meaningless Zinger, sheesh. Why focus so much on a loser, last-place organization? What's the appeal?

Cheeses, you obviously have much to learn about the beautiful game of baseball. Look at them zingers fly!!! Wheeeee!!!

Iwritecode
04-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
"Baseball Tonight" is certainly giving enough airtime to Sham-ME's patented Meaningless Zinger, sheesh. Why focus so much on a loser, last-place organization? What's the appeal?

Somehow I was lucky enough to turn the TV on just as they started the Cubs/Giants highlights. It seemed ok at first. The Giants kept pounding the ball and the Cubs offense was non-existant as usual. They all of a sudden they show Sammy at the plate. As I looked up and noticed the score, I knew exactly what they were about to show. Unbelievable. Sammy hits a 2-run blast to put the Cubs within 10? C'mon! And people wonder why Sox fans say the media is biased...

voodoochile
04-24-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Somehow I was lucky enough to turn the TV on just as they started the Cubs/Giants highlights. It seemed ok at first. The Giants kept pounding the ball and the Cubs offense was non-existant as usual. They all of a sudden they show Sammy at the plate. As I looked up and noticed the score, I knew exactly what they were about to show. Unbelievable. Sammy hits a 2-run blast to put the Cubs within 10? C'mon! And people wonder why Sox fans say the media is biased...

Just finished watching some taped prime time and caught the end of the channel 7 news on repeat. They do the weather and then cut to commercial but not before Giangreco gives a preview of the upcoming sports highlights... (Except for the pseudonyms, this is a direct quote, I am NOT making this up)

:giangreco
"ShamMEMEME bests bonds tonight but the flubbies (lose)..."

Now I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but...

That was it, not even a mention of the Sox tying for first. But at least that is expected. Still, it made me think. If I were a real flubbie fan (Please never again) - I mean a true-blue flubbie fan, not a fan of the bleachers or the area, I would be really ticked off about the constant hype ShamMEMEME gets. I would be like, "Who gives a rats ass, we stink. Would someone please fire Baylor and get over it already." Most of my flubbie buddies aren't even watching the flubs this year.

Maybe Vic can tell it like it is... What's the story, Vic, tired of watching meaningless individual stats getting celebrated while your team continues to struggle?

I know I wouldn't care nearly as much about Franks career stats if the Sox continued to suck it up every year and he was a huge hot dog. MJ at least won the Bulls a bunch of championships and as much hype as he generated and brought to the team, they continued to prize that which is important in team sports... winning... with ShamMEMEME on the team, winning will always matter less than zingers...

But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong... (thanks Dennis...)

Bmr31
04-24-2002, 01:21 AM

lol great great point. WHat is wrong with these pitchers? There is no way on earth he would do that to me, and not have my best fastball in his back, during his next at bat.

voodoochile
04-24-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31

lol great great point. WHat is wrong with these pitchers? There is no way on earth he would do that to me, and not have my best fastball in his back, during his next at bat.

:shammy
"bean the shamminator? But, why? Don't you know that I saved baseball? I am the way and the light, I am the truth and the salvation... I am ShamMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME..."

"Tell it like it is, lover... er... I mean brother..."

"ShamMEMEME hits another home run on his way to 105. But the rest of the idiot, half-assed, minor leaguers that make up the flubbies lose the game for him again in the only baseball game that matters to true Chicagoans..."

:shammy
"See, I told you my public loves it when I hop, skip and hover around the bases... I am ShamMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME, and I saved baseball. Even Barry loves me, if only he could hit like I do."

:iron
"All of youse need to shut the *** up! You are making my ears hurt."

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Just finished watching some taped prime time and caught the end of the channel 7 news on repeat. They do the weather and then cut to commercial but not before Giangreco gives a preview of the upcoming sports highlights... (Except for the pseudonyms, this is a direct quote, I am NOT making this up)

"ShamMEMEME bests bonds tonight but the flubbies (lose)..."

Now I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but...

That was it, not even a mention of the Sox tying for first. But at least that is expected. Still, it made me think. If I were a real flubbie fan (Please never again) - I mean a true-blue flubbie fan, not a fan of the bleachers or the area, I would be really ticked off about the constant hype ShamMEMEME gets. I would be like, "Who gives a rats ass, we stink. Would someone please fire Baylor and get over it already." Most of my flubbie buddies aren't even watching the flubs this year.

Maybe Vic can tell it like it is... What's the story, Vic, tired of watching meaningless individual stats getting celebrated while your team continues to struggle?

But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong... (thanks Dennis...)

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. While Sammy's individual accomplishments are certainly remarkable (whether you are a Cubs fan or not), thus far they have been all for not (apart from '98 when he pretty much carried the team). I'm not really offended by the televised media's portrayal of the situation, so much as those of the Tribune and the Sun-Times. Although, it does get under my skin when Giancreco says something like:

Sammy bests Bonds tonight

I mean at the end of the day, who gives a ****? Chalk up another inconsequential homerun.

But I cut the televised media slack because they have 4 minutes a night to discuss Chicagoland sports (I didn't see the broadcast but I'd imagine the Blackhawks game and the NBA playoffs dominated the majority of his spiel), and most nonchalant observers are more interested in a Sosa homerun, as opposed to Baylor's decision to leave a clearly ineffective Bere on the mound.

My biggest complaint is with the beat writers whose job it is to give us substance. Yet they choose to lie on the periphery and pass their work off as meaningful. For example, a week ago, Greenstein of the Tribune writes that Sosa is off to an uncharacteristically hot start in April. Um that's great, but why not mention that Sosa was 0-11 with runners in scoring position at that point, and batting well below .200, close & late. Might that be a reason the Cubs are at the bottom of the NL Central?

It is infuriating no question, my only option is to tune them out. Gets pretty easy after awhile, since an observant fan can probably get to the crux of the matter, without having to wade in all that meaningless fluff.

moochpuppy
04-24-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by DVG

He's now 298 be-
hind Hank Aaron!!! Start the countdown!!!!

That's the only magic number countdown the Cubs will be seeing for quite sometime.

Viva Magglio
04-24-2002, 10:23 AM
This may really be a continuation of the "Real News of the Evening" thread, but Boers and Bernsy are discussing whether or not it's appropriate for Sammy Sosa to do his home run routine when the Cubs are down by ten runs. The general consensus is that it's inappropriate, and a lot of our fans are pouring it on Sam-me as they should.

But a faxer brought up an interesting point. Let's say we're down by ten runs and one of our batters goes yard. We still set off the scoreboard and Nancy Faust still plays "Na Na Hey Hey..." They are basically asking if there is a difference between Sosa's HR routine and our exploding scoreboard. What is it?

Randar68
04-24-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They are basically asking if there is a difference between Sosa's HR routine and our exploding scoreboard. What is it?

The fans cheering for a little concession, or a player showboating while his team is losing, meaning, "W's and L's don't really matter as long as I can still hop around and show up opposing pitchers, yeah ME!"

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
They are basically asking if there is a difference between Sosa's HR routine and our exploding scoreboard. What is it?
The scoreboard is appropriate because it's a long tradition. Na Na Hey Hey used to only be played when the homer knocked the pitcher out of the game or for a victory. If it's being played now for every homer, that is just as bad as Sammy's hop and kiss blowing.

cheeses_h_rice
04-24-2002, 10:33 AM
The difference is a team tradition that dates back to as long as the exploding feature has been a part of the Comiskey scoreboard. It is done for every home run hit by a White Sox batter. It isn't an individual player doing it; it's one of the cool features of the stadium.

Sham-ME's routine is a self-centered celebration. If he were smart, he'd turn it on and off depending on the circumstances of the game. But no one said he was smart, or not an egomaniac without peer. What he did to his teammates last night tells them, "I'm the most important thing going on here, and I really care more about promoting Sammy Sosa than what happens with this team on the field, so screw you."

Iwritecode
04-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
The fans cheering for a little concession, or a player showboating while his team is losing, meaning, "W's and L's don't really matter as long as I can still hop around and show up opposing pitchers, yeah ME!"

Agreed. It's a little different when the fans cheer for a homerun even if the team is down by 10, rather than the player doing a little showoff routine.

At least this time he didn't go out for a curtain call. I remember him doing that once last year. Yes, they were down by 10 or so then too...

Randar68
04-24-2002, 10:37 AM

Agreed. It's a little different when the fans cheer for a homerun even if the team is down by 10, rather than the player doing a little showoff routine.

At least when I cheer for a HR when we're down big, it's in a defunct, dejected sort of way, like, "Great, we're only down by 8 now!"

Na Na Hey Hey used to only be played when the homer knocked the pitcher out of the game or for a victory.

Last I was there (3 times this year) it is only played when opposing pitchers are removed from the mound!

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2002, 10:38 AM
At least this time he didn't go out for a curtain call. I remember him doing that once last year. Yes, they were down by 10 or so then too...
You're too hard on Sammy. I think they were only down by 8 when he did the curtain call after hitting his third homer of the game.

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

At least when I cheer for a HR when we're down big, it's in a defunct, dejected sort of way, like, "Great, we're only down by 8 now!"

Last I was there (3 times this year) it is only played when opposing pitchers are removed from the mound!

It's coming back. It used to be played for every home run and in the old park in the later years. Then stopped in the new park for a while.

Anyone remember when they used to play "Run around Sue " for a pitching change in the old park? MIght have been for the pitching coach coming to talk. can't remember too well. I was real young.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2002, 10:46 AM
Actually, I hate all individual showboating after homeruns, whether it be Sammy's hop, Griffy's bat flip, or Bonds standing at home plate admiring it.

The legends "back in the day" just hauled their rear end around the bases and got back in the dugout. If they didn't, they'd be pulling the ball out of their ear the next time they came up to bat.

LuvChiSox
04-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Actually, scammie did only a HALF bunny hop last night--and the announcers made sure they pointed that out while showing the replay.

Chisox353014
04-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Another big difference is that when Magglio goes deep to make it 12-2 Twins or whoever, Sox fans applaud, but we're still extremely po'd that we're down 10 runs. The scoreboard goes off sure, but I don't want to see Maggs hotdogging it around the bases or doing a curtain call (unless he's breaking some kind of major record). When Sham-ME pulls his routine, Cub fans act like they just won Game 7 or something.
It's funny because my sister and her boyfriend were in town visiting last night. Her boyfriend is from Milwaukee and only a casual baseball fan. He was asking my sister and me why we hate the Cubs so much. As luck would have it, about 10 minutes after he asked the question we happened to tune in right as Sham-ME was hitting his zinger. All I had to do was point out Sham-ME's hot dog routine and the fans going nuts in a 12-2 loss and he understood!

BTW, I don't think they play Na Na Hey Hey after home runs, at least I don't remember ever hearing it

rmusacch
04-24-2002, 11:07 AM

I am waiting for him to trip one time when doing that studder step and falling flat on his face. I would laugh my ass off.

meatman
04-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Im thinking the Giants will drill him tonight

Iwritecode
04-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
You're too hard on Sammy. I think they were only down by 8 when he did the curtain call after hitting his third homer of the game.

You may be right. I should let up a little. After all, he did save the game of baseball...

LOL!!!

:D:

alohafri
04-24-2002, 11:47 AM

:hotdog Bob Geebson doesn't have the guts to throw at mee. I am Samme Sosa dammit and the people, dey lof me.

Foulke You
04-24-2002, 04:00 PM
Heard on the Score today:

"I think it's great what Sammy does after a homer. I teach my son to always feel like a winner when playing sports and what Sammy does shows that he's not going to let the fact that the Cubs are bad keep him from acting like a winner. Sammy is amazing!"

-Idiot Flub fan Soccer Mom on Boers/Bernsie show

"If the Cubs are losing big and Sammy hits a homer. You're darn right I'm going to cheer like crazy! I'm still going to have a great time and be happy! I don't think it's wrong at all to be that excited after a Sammy homer!"

-Idiot Flub fan (sounded very fruity too)

Yet it is the Sox fans in this town who are persecuted and scolded by the local media. Not the happy go lucky so what we're losers and that doesn't matter Flub fans. For the record though, Boers and Bernsie did lay into a couple of these meat heads. Then again, they lay into just about everyone though. Even Michael Jordan.

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Heard on the Score today:

"I think it's great what Sammy does after a homer. I teach my son to always feel like a winner when playing sports and what Sammy does shows that he's not going to let the fact that the Cubs are bad keep him from acting like a winner. Sammy is amazing!"

-Idiot Flub fan Soccer Mom on Boers/Bernsie show

"If the Cubs are losing big and Sammy hits a homer. You're darn right I'm going to cheer like crazy! I'm still going to have a great time and be happy! I don't think it's wrong at all to be that excited after a Sammy homer!"

-Idiot Flub fan (sounded very fruity too)

Yet it is the Sox fans in this town who are persecuted and scolded by the local media. Not the happy go lucky so what we're losers and that doesn't matter Flub fans. For the record though, Boers and Bernsie did lay into a couple of these meat heads. Then again, they lay into just about everyone though. Even Michael Jordan.

Why do you get offended if a Cubs fan cheers a Sosa homerun; whether its a solo shot to break a tie, or one that has no significance on the outcome of the game. As a fan, are we supposed to boo if he goes deep in the 7th inning of a blowout? Or is Sosa supposed to forfeit his at-bat because it doesn't matter? Enlighten me Foulke.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Why do you get offended if a Cubs fan cheers a Sosa homerun; whether its a solo shot to break a tie, or one that has no significance on the outcome of the game. As a fan, are we supposed to boo if he goes deep in the 7th inning of a blowout? Or is Sosa supposed to forfeit his at-bat because it doesn't matter? Enlighten me Foulke.
Read the whole thread Vic. It's not cheering for a home run, it's the player showboating when his homer still leaves the team way behind, and the fans not caring that they're still losing.

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Read the whole thread Vic. It's not cheering for a home run, it's the player showboating when his homer still leaves the team way behind, and the fans not caring that they're still losing.

Read Foulke's post, the one I commented on. He has a problem with Cub fans cheering a Sosa home run.

There are a number of players who showboat, Bonds and Griffey are much worse, they hit a bomb, stand and admire it, walk halfway to first base, and then circle the bases. Why doesn't anyone have a problem when Bonds reaches home plate, and stairs to the sky and starts pointing?

I'll never condemn Sammy's actions, I'd rather he acted more like Scott Rolen and Darin Erstad as well. However, I hardly think its worth noting on the board every time Sosa hits a homerun and circles the bases.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Read Foulke's post, the one I commented on. He has a problem with Cub fans cheering a Sosa home run.

There are a number of players who showboat, Bonds and Griffey are much worse, they hit a bomb, stand and admire it, walk halfway to first base, and then circle the bases. Why doesn't anyone have a problem when Bonds reaches home plate, and stairs to the sky and starts pointing?

I'll never condemn Sammy's actions, I'd rather he acted more like Scott Rolen and Darin Erstad as well. However, I hardly think its worth noting on the board every time Sosa hits a homerun and circles the bases.
I did read Foulke's post. That was what I was clarifying. You read things into it that aren't there.

As for other showboats, again, read the whole thread. I already pointed out that I can't stand any showboating, and specifically pointed out Griffey and Bonds.

FarWestChicago
There are a number of players who showboat, Bonds and Griffey are much worseWow, that's the first time you've ever made a really silly post, Vic. But, nobody is perfect. :smile:

Foulke You

It's all about the context in which the homer and crowd reaction happened that got under my skin. Maybe I'm letting my personal loathing of Sammy get in the way but as a fan of the game of baseball I have to scratch my head when a crowd of 30,000 explodes with utter joy and hysteria (they did. I watched the homer as it happened) as if Sammy had just hit the game winner or tied it up. It just illustrates what many of us here feel about the people that go to Wrigley. The reaction of the crowd did not fit the event. Sammy hitting a homer was worth the price of admission to them. Never mind the fact that the Giants were pasting the Cubs in every aspect of the game.

If it was Maggs breaking a 12-0 shutout with a homer at Comiskey, yes Sox fans would be cheering but it would be waaaaaayy more subdued then the hysterics that Cub fans showed at Wrigley last night. In fact, just last Friday at Comiskey when Carlos hit a solo shot to bring the Sox to 6-1 of the Tigers there were a lot of "Bronx" cheers in my section. Yes we were happy we saw a Sox homer but it didn't change the fact that the lowly Detroit Tigers were making us look like chumps that night and left Sox fans to fume in their seats.

Those 2 Cub fans on the Score just fit the Cub stereotype to a tee. They sounded euphoric and were gushing about Sosa and didn't care about the outcome at all. If this is how fans of the Cubs are then they don't deserve a World Series for another 100 years. Vic, you seem to be a little more sensible than most of the Cub faithful. Doesn't the indifference to losing get under your skin? Don't the morons that are ecstatic about a 2 run homer in a 12-0 game bother you?

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Those 2 Cub fans on the Score just fit the Cub stereotype to a tee. They sounded euphoric and were gushing about Sosa and didn't care about the outcome at all. If this is how fans of the Cubs are then they don't deserve a World Series for another 100 years. Vic, you seem to be a little more sensible than most of the Cub faithful. Doesn't the indifference to losing get under your skin? Don't the morons that are ecstatic about a 2 run homer in a 12-0 game bother you?

The opinions of other fans regarding the Cubs means little to me, a Cubs fan. Why should I care? If thirty thousand fans shell out their money to see Sammy Sosa play, and he hits a homerun, then they feel they got their money's worth. Why should Sox fans raise their blood pressure over it? Screw Sammy, screw those 30,000 fans who cheer Sosa's homeruns (meaningless or not), in my opinion, it isn't worth getting so worked about. The fact is, those people are not a true reflection of Cub fans, they are Sosa fans. He draws them out like the Pied Piper of West Addison, and they go home happy.

I, as the Sox fans you talked about, will appreciate Sammy's accomplishment, I will not pop open a bottle of Taittinger and spaz out. I am not indifferent about the Cubs lack of success, it pains me to see them lose, it pains me to see Don Baylor picking his nose, instead of picking the proper reliever. There are countless others like me, we get about as much respect as true Sox fans, perhaps less. You think you all have it bad? What about true Cub fans who get overlooked in favor of the cellphone toting, cashmere sweater wearing, comped-ticket holding, leave after Sosa's last AB jackasses?

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Wow, that's the first time you've ever made a really silly post, Vic. But, nobody is perfect. :smile:

Someone will back me up on this, see, Nellie already did. At least those three have "earned" that right, what about punks like Bret Boone. His irks me the most, that stupid little flip of the bat every time he hits a hard flyball that has a chance to go out...man, I hate that.

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2002, 05:21 PM
What about true Cub fans who get overlooked in favor of the cellphone toting, cashmere sweater wearing, comped-ticket holding, leave after Sosa's last AB jackasses?
There's the Vic we've learned to appreciate on this board. Welcome back.

FarWestChicago
04-24-2002, 05:26 PM

Someone will back me up on this, see, Nellie already did. At least those three have "earned" that right, what about punks like Bret Boone. His irks me the most, that stupid little flip of the bat every time he hits a hard flyball that has a chance to go out...man, I hate that. Vic, I'm not saying there aren't other showboaters. There just isn't anybody in Sham-ME's league. He's like every moonwalking, end zone strutting sack dance in the history of sports all rolled up into one hot dog. BTW, excellent bounce back post. It must be horrible to be an intelligent baseball fan and follow the Cubs. There's always plenty of room for you with the Good Guys. :D:

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Vic, I'm not saying there aren't other showboaters. There just isn't anybody in Sham-ME's league. He's like every moonwalking, end zone strutting sack dance in the history of sports all rolled up into one hot dog. BTW, excellent bounce back post. It must be horrible to be an intelligent baseball fan and follow the Cubs. There's always plenty of room for you with the Good Guys. :D:

Fair enough, I don't condone it, but as long as he's putting up .320/60/140...

It is horrible, a far distant 2nd is being a supporter of Jerry Krause, though that's a whole other thread, in a whole other room.

I'd be the guy doing backflips everytime Borch went yard :o:

j/k!

Cheryl
04-24-2002, 05:46 PM

You think you all have it bad? What about true Cub fans who get overlooked in favor of the cellphone toting, cashmere sweater wearing, comped-ticket holding, leave after Sosa's last AB jackasses?

Vic, I've had that discussion with other true Cub fans. The consensus among my friends who grew up in Lake View when it wasn't trendy to live there is the worst thing that ever happened to their team was for the Trib to buy it and turn their ballpark into the tourist trap it is today. I know probably a dozen people who still consider themselves fans and follow the team but won't step foot in Wrigely because of the cashmere wearing, comp-ticketed, leave-after-Soso's-last-AB crowd.

Foulke You
04-24-2002, 05:52 PM

I, as the Sox fans you talked about, will appreciate Sammy's accomplishment, I will not pop open a bottle of Taittinger and spaz out. I am not indifferent about the Cubs lack of success, it pains me to see them lose, it pains me to see Don Baylor picking his nose, instead of picking the proper reliever. There are countless others like me, we get about as much respect as true Sox fans, perhaps less. You think you all have it bad? What about true Cub fans who get overlooked in favor of the cellphone toting, cashmere sweater wearing, comped-ticket holding, leave after Sosa's last AB jackasses?

Good post Vic, but Sammy and those who praise him as our messiah will never cease to drive me insane. I wish I could tune it out as you do but it is hard when every media outlet in town except the Daily Southtown is shoving the crap down my throat.

I've always felt a little sorry for the true Cubs fan who happen to actually go for the baseball game that is playing. You get a purple heart for putting up with the countless morons in your stadium and being edged out of good seats by guys in suits and frat boys with lots of Mommy and Daddy spending cash but Sox fans have it worse. In the eyes of many in Chicago the Sox are a 2nd class team, with a 2nd class stadium (Comiskey), a 2nd class slugger (Frank), a 2nd class neighborhood, a 2nd class owner, and let's not forget everyone's favorite 2nd class fans who don't show up to the park! You may put up with a lot Vic but I think I have some backup on this board when I say your plight isn't quite what a White Sox fan puts up with.

Vsahajpal
04-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Vic, I've had that discussion with other true Cub fans. The consensus among my friends who grew up in Lake View when it wasn't trendy to live there is the worst thing that ever happened to their team was for the Trib to buy it and turn their ballpark into the tourist trap it is today. I know probably a dozen people who still consider themselves fans and follow the team but won't step foot in Wrigely because of the cashmere wearing, comp-ticketed, leave-after-Soso's-last-AB crowd.

I can't blame them. The majority of knowledgeable fans I know don't even reside in the state. I'm talking about college professors in North Dakota, engineers in Colorado, attorneys in San Francisco...

Ya know what bothers me most? You would think the added revenue they get from these clueless gawkers would help out the team, but regrettably, that money is being used to fund such things as Sammy Sosa rubber ducks...which of course lures these people back to the stadium resulting in a never-ending cycle of mediocrity.

btw, Is Ravenswood Manor near Ravenswood Hospital? My father used to make rounds there in the early-mid 80's, some of the craziest stories I've ever heard deal with people who were admitted there.

Cheryl
04-24-2002, 05:58 PM

Ya know what bothers me most? You would think the added revenue they get from these clueless gawkers would help out the team, but regrettably, that money is being used to fund such things as Sammy Sosa rubber ducks...which of course lures these people back to the stadium resulting in a never-ending cycle of mediocrity.

btw, Is Ravenswood Manor near Ravenswood Hospital? My father used to make rounds there in the early-mid 80's, some of the craziest stories I've ever heard deal with people who were admitted there.

Those Celebriduck things are just freaky.

The hospital is three El stops east of where I live. It's closing down, you know. At least inpatient care, I think they're still going to do outpatient.