PDA

View Full Version : SOX Sign Tomo Ohka

chitown13
02-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Didn't see this anywhere. I can't find it on the tribune website or anywhere else other than on sportsline under my fantasy league

"The Chicago Tribune reports that the White Sox have signed Tomo Ohka (http://freemeeting.1.baseball.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/141687) and added him to the spring training roster Thursday. "

veeter
02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Great. The more arms the better.

Sockinchisox
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
It's true.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/tomo-ohka-signe.html

hi im skot
Eh, why not?

soxwon
Didn't see this anywhere. I can't find it on the tribune website or anywhere else other than on sportsline under my fantasy league

"The Chicago Tribune reports that the White Sox have signed Tomo Ohka (http://freemeeting.1.baseball.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/141687) and added him to the spring training roster Thursday. "

http://freemeeting.1.baseball.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/141687

Soxtalk is reporting it as well, but i cant find anything either.
Rather have Fatolo Colon!!!

NardiWasHere
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Look out

Palehose Pete
02-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Soxtalk is reporting it as well, but i cant find anything either.
Rather have Fatolo Colon!!!

Yeah, but Fartolo wants years and $$$. Tomo probably will work for churros if he makes the roster.

getonbckthr
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Can't hurt to throw him in the minors.

chisoxmike
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Start printing playing off tickets!

Just like '05!

kittle42
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
At least Charlotte has a No. 5 starter now.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I wonder if this is who will be the guy we call up if Danks or Floyd can't cut it.

white sox bill
02-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Never heard of him, checked his MLB career. Can't hurt

btrain929
02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
I remember him being good in Montreal, but that was when the Expos were actually a team. I guess if it's just a minor league contract, then alright. I don't expect him to play any serious part in the big league team this year though. No problem with adding depth though after what we went through last year.

areilly
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Start printing playing off tickets!

Just like '05!

Ohka will totally grind it up, but under the radar. I can feel it.

turners56
02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Meh at least some experienced insurance.

MCHSoxFan
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I'll take it! :D:

Tekijawa
02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
I only know him because Bart Wanted to be him on the Simpson's in one Episode.

soxinem1
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM

mlbtraderumors.com posted this too.

Wasn't this guy in three organizations last year, all of them starving for pitching?

soxlug
02-21-2008, 05:53 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/tomo-ohka-signe.html

Navarro's Talent
02-21-2008, 05:57 PM
That's fine, I guess. He could be a good back-up plan if Floyd or Danks are getting roughed up.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Jesus, I'd rather have Colon...at least he was a Cy Young Award winner three years ago...this guy hasn't even thrown one hundred innings in more than three years. I know there's a big difference in salary, but if they were both going after one year deals, I'd much rather have Colon.

delben91
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Jesus, I'd rather have Colon...at least he was a Cy Young Award winner three years ago...this guy hasn't even thrown one hundred innings in more than three years. I know there's a big difference in salary, but if they were both going after one year deals, I'd much rather have Colon.

What says that the Sox signing of Ohka and the potential signing of Colon are mutually exclusive?

Foulke You
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
This reminds me of the Hideo Nomo signing a couple years ago. It might be a move just to keep a veteran at Charlotte and put pressure on the youngsters. I'm sure Kenny wants to make Danks and Floyd earn their rotation spots and not feel like anything is handed to them. He has mentioned on more than one occasion that he wants some competition at Tucson this year and if the veteran Ohka can push Danks and Floyd a bit more than I'm all for it.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
What says that the Sox signing of Ohka and the potential signing of Colon are mutually exclusive?
Touche, but the way my tiny little mind sees it, the Sox are really looking for two things here, a veteran presense in the rotation and a safety net for Floyd and Danks.

KyWhiSoxFan
02-21-2008, 07:20 PM
This reminds me of the Hideo Nomo signing a couple years ago. It might be a move just to keep a veteran at Charlotte and put pressure on the youngsters. I'm sure Kenny wants to make Danks and Floyd earn their rotation spots and not feel like anything is handed to them. He has mentioned on more than one occasion that he wants some competition at Tucson this year and if the veteran Ohka can push Danks and Floyd a bit more than I'm all for it.

I think that is a very insightful explanation for the signing. Ohka is there to keep the process honest. If Ohka makes the team, I will be disappointed, because that means a couple of guys in front of him really fell apart.

rowand33
02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Kenny gets another one of his guys past his prime (a la Erstad).

We almost traded for Ohka in 2004 before he broke his leg.

This move can't hurt. He's only 32. Worst case scenario, he pitches in Charlotte. Best case, Cy Young.

Brian26
02-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Kenny picked Esteban Loaiza off the same scrap heap five years ago. Loaiza won 21 games, started the ASG, and KW parlayed him into Jose Contreras, who won 17 games in a row, including eight in a row in the 2nd half of '05 before his three postseason victories helping the Sox win the World Series.

You're the guy who wanted the Sox to keep Gil Heredia instead of Loiaza, right? :D:

MCHSoxFan
02-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Just wondering, why do I NOT see this on whitesox.com? :?:

soxfan21
02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Just wondering, why do I NOT see this on whitesox.com? :?:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080221&content_id=2382950&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

At the bottom of this article it talks a little bit about the minor league contract that he signed.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Kenny picked Esteban Loaiza off the same scrap heap five years ago. Loaiza won 21 games, started the ASG, and KW parlayed him into Jose Contreras, who won 17 games in a row, including eight in a row in the 2nd half of '05 before his three postseason victories helping the Sox win the World Series.

You're the guy who wanted the Sox to keep Gil Heredia instead of Loiaza, right? :D:
I don't recall my reaction to KW bringing on Loiza...I wasn't really paying attention. :D:

gobears1987
02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Ohka can't hurt. He might turn it around, but I think its more likely he doesn't leave Charlotte next year.

FedEx227
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
See these are the veteran signings I absolutely hate (unlike the Colon deal), because somewhere down the line he'll get an opportunity he absolutely doesn't deserve because he's a vet and he has "experience" and "leadership".

He's a career 50-63, 4.14 ERA, 1.38 WHIP. No thank you. If he stays in Charlotte, great. But I'd hate for him to jump Broadway, Egbert or any other youngster because he's played for awhile... he's played for awhile and we've seen what he can do... nothing.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2008, 11:44 PM
See these are the veteran signings I absolutely hate (unlike the Colon deal), because somewhere down the line he'll get an opportunity he absolutely doesn't deserve because he's a vet and he has "experience" and "leadership".

He's a career 50-63, 4.14 ERA, 1.38 WHIP. No thank you. If he stays in Charlotte, great. But I'd hate for him to jump Broadway, Egbert or any other youngster because he's played for awhile... he's played for awhile and we've seen what he can do... nothing.
We don't agree very often, but I'm with you 100% on this.

Save McCuddy's
02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Exactly -- there is absolutely no scenario that involves Ohka at the major league level that is a good thing for us.

rookieroy
02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
He will be a non factor. Waste of discussion and bandwith. I took chances with him on my fantasy team and he always made me worse. Sorry for being so negative........:(:

Jollyroger2
02-22-2008, 12:08 PM
He will be a non factor. Waste of discussion and bandwith. I took chances with him on my fantasy team and he always made me worse. Sorry for being so negative........:(:

Agree. He was here in Washington and when the useless Nationals cut you loose, that's saying something.

kjhanson
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
He's a career 50-63, 4.14 ERA, 1.38 WHIP. No thank you.

You're just looking at the wrong statistics.
Take a look at this split: Lifetime In Wins: 50-0 1.69 ERA, 1.02 WHIP
Seriously though, his career ERA+ is 1.08, which is quite good. Obviously he hasn't been effective in the past couple of years, but that's why this is a minor league deal. And one that I think makes sense as long as he's used properly.

Situation A: Late July, we're 15 games out of first place and a starter goes down with injury. Ohka is effective in the minors. Who do you call up? Probably Broadway or another young starter.

Situation B: Mid September, 2 games out of first place and a starter goes down with injury. Ohka is effective in the minors. Who do you call up?
Probably Ohka.

If he's taking starts away from the kids when we're clearly out of the race, then it is a big issue. Otherwise, a cheap, veteran insurance policy sounds like a good idea.

balke
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I really wanted him on the team like 3-4 years ago. Does he have injury problems? He had a good k/BB IIRC. He's ERA is decent for a #5 guy.

Great guy to pick up for nothing on the cheap. Backup plan for now, and hopefully he'll make the squad right out. I'd like Floyd/Danks to be able to compete again. Danks was great when he was fighting for his roster spot. And his arm deadened down the stretch a bit. You don't want two young guys with no insurance.

Hitmenof77
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Great thinking there. Put a kid who clearly isn't ready for the majors and let him get shelled. Ohka won't jump any of the kids, IF the kids perform. But if they don't, they don't deserve a shot to pitch in the majors just because they are highly regarded prospects.

Only on WSI could somebody get all upset about a very minor signing. What a great group of fans we are.

balke
02-22-2008, 02:17 PM

There were pitchers with ERA's over 5 on this team last season. If Floyd or Contreras or Danks wet the bed this season, there needs to be an answer. Ohka's 4.14 is better than Vazquez's career ERA. Ohka's been on some bad teams too.

Jerome
02-22-2008, 04:51 PM
We can put him in on those days when Contreras and Floyd get shelled and need to be taken out after the the 3rd, save the bullpen a bit :D:

FedEx227
02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Only on WSI could somebody get all upset about a very minor signing. What a great group of fans we are.

If the signing will ever be used for it's actual purpose, it's great. But like last year's Erstad signing. We're a very, very stubborn franchise. Erstad is signed as a 4th OF, gets outperformed in ST then gets a starting CF job because of his veteran leadership, and versatility, etc, etc.

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2008, 04:34 AM
There were pitchers with ERA's over 5 on this team last season. If Floyd or Contreras or Danks wet the bed this season, there needs to be an answer. Ohka's 4.14 is better than Vazquez's career ERA. Ohka's been on some bad teams too.
While his ERA IS lower that Javy's, those numbers came in the NL, upon making the shift to the AL last year he got lit up pretty good...he also hasn't thrown over 100 innings since 2005 and even then hasn't ever thrown over 200...personally I'd rather have Colon, the last time Ohka threw over a hundred innings and had an ERA in the fours, Colon won the Cy Young Award. There's higher reward with Colon than with Ohka.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't understand the negative reaction to this minor league signing. If somehow Ohka surprises everyone and does well this spring, great then he deserves a shot. If not then Ohka gets ready for AAA or walks. What's the big deal?

soxinem1
02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't understand the negative reaction to this minor league signing. If somehow Ohka surprises everyone and does well this spring, great then he deserves a shot. If not then Ohka gets ready for AAA or walks. What's the big deal?

You are quite right. Actually, he has a lower ERA than every starter we had last year, (including the dearly-departed Jon Garland), except Buehrle, and that is not by much.

True, he has done nothing substantial the past few years, and was in three organizations last year. But his ERA was about the same as Danks and Contreras, two guys that will be counted on this season to do much better. He did average nearly 6 IP per start last year, so what harm can it do to take a look at him?

You know we are ready for the season to start when a thread on Tomo Okha signing a minor-league contract gets nearly 50 posts!

Frontman
02-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Funny, I signed him to fill out my minor league system for MLB the Show this season too.

I did that 3 months ago.

Kenny should hire me.

Can't hurt, might help. Not a bad thing if he's a low risk, high reward contract.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Funny, I signed him to fill out my minor league system for MLB the Show this season too.

I did that 3 months ago.

Kenny should hire me.

Can't hurt, might help. Not a bad thing if he's a low risk, high reward contract.

Those complaining about signing Ohka, did they also complain about the Sox NOT signing Jon Lieber? For the record, Lieber is 38 yrs old, Ohka is 32 yrs old. For each of the past three yrs Lieber has posted higher league adjusted ERA.