PDA

View Full Version : Rays' new stadium

Jason82807
02-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Looks pretty cool

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Tampa-takes-quantum-leap-in-ballpark-design?urn=mlb%2C67665

Mr.1Dog
02-21-2008, 09:30 AM
That looks real nice... It should strongly be considered.

Law11
02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Looks like they have a new logo as well. Not bad..

Luke
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
I like that it A) Gets them out of Tropicana. B) the architecture is a little more contemporary, no faux-retro, it fits its surroundings.

I'm a little concerned that they're not going to get past the Environmental Impact Report, because of all the filling they have to do in the bay. I've also heard that even with the infill, it's only going to be 270 to right?

I hope they can make it work somehow. The Rays just offered 50 Million more of their own money to finance the stadium.

CRAW
02-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Very, very cool, and will draw people to see the team IMO. I was down there in that area a few years ago and I had NO desire to go to Tropicana Fields to see the Rays. This stadium however... I'd have a few watching them play.

:cool:

Over By There
02-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Very interesting. That would finally be worth a trip to Tampa for a Sox game. I can't imagine spending money to go see a game at the Trop.

The Milkman
02-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Honestly, that's the coolest looking thing I've ever seen. they better do that.

soxwon
02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
its right on the site of the rays spring training park.
so where are they going to have spring training as they build it?

getonbckthr
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Looks cool and different but I question its durability in a hurricane.

doublem23
02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Looks like they have a new logo as well. Not bad..

They dropped the "Devil" out of their name, too.

Huisj
02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
its right on the site of the rays spring training park.
so where are they going to have spring training as they build it?

I hear Tucson Electric Park might have an opening. :D:
Florida team training on Arizona? That would be funny.

Tekijawa
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I know Tampa is on the otherside of the State but I'd hate to see what a Hurricane would do to that roof... I'm sure all that has already been worked out. Other than that what a great looking stadium I'm sure Dicky V and the 4 other season ticket holders will really enjoy it!

getonbckthr
02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Couldn't they technically train at Tropicana?

chisox77
02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I hope the Rays are able to pull off this deal. They need it. And it would be a unique addition to the new baseball parks that were built the last 15 years.

:cool:

Bump34
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
One of the biggest hurdles the Rays face is the St. Petersburg citizens... nothing can be done if the voters don't OK the right to build on the waterfront... Big council meeting tonight with the St. Petersburg City Council.

With the fill in the bay it would allow RF to be about 330ish...

And finally... The Rays are moving their spring training to Port Charlotte beginning NEXT spring... the area... state and Rays have invested close to $30 million to upgrade that facility...

cbotnyse
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
That is so sweet...its makes the Cell look like a dirt lot. I'd kill for something like that on 35th and Shields. :(:

more pictures here... http://www.sptimes.com/2007/webspecials07/photo_galleries/newballparkgallery/index.shtml

IspepAloc
02-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I think the stadium looks extremely original, especially the "roof." I hope that they're allowed to build it. I found this site from one of the images on the Rays website: http://majorleaguedowntown.com/default.aspx. I think it's the official site of the project.

Luke
02-21-2008, 04:51 PM
One of the biggest hurdles the Rays face is the St. Petersburg citizens... nothing can be done if the voters don't OK the right to build on the waterfront... Big council meeting tonight with the St. Petersburg City Council.

Sounds like it's going to be a full house tonight. It sounds like the Rays wouldn't ask for a referendum and earlier than Novermber. Is there a feeling for the general attitude of the voters?

South Side Irish
02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Wow! What a gorgeous stadium. TRULY original, functional, and should generate some positive buzz for the Rays. Good for them... now I can't wait to see what Sox lefty's going to make a splash there in 5 years!

Southsider101
02-21-2008, 07:51 PM
NIce ballpark! It's good to see an original design that fits the Florida environment far better than the depressing Trop.

Viva Medias B's
02-21-2008, 09:58 PM
This looks nice, but don't you think Orlando is a better venue for the Rays?

Bump34
02-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Not sure how the meeting went... I was at a fundraiser for one of our corporate sponsors... but I would say if the vote was held right now it would be about 40/60 against... but that is because most people don't have all the info... Also... if we have a decent season... that could sway the vote...

And... Orlando is NOT the place to go...

thomas35forever
02-21-2008, 11:57 PM
That looks awesome. A stadium like that could revolutionize the way future ballparks are built. Or could it?

hsnterprize
02-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Couldn't they technically train at Tropicana?The Rays' plans are not only to build a new park, but to also tear down the Trop and build a housing/retail development on that land.

This stadium idea could work. It's about time teams looked at "original" ideas for new ballparks instead of the worn-out "faux retro" look. Somehow I don't think an "Oriole Park at Camden Yards wanna-be" would work down there. Even the new planned stadium for the Marlins in Miami doesn't fit that mold.

JohnnyInnsbrook
02-22-2008, 08:23 AM

NO WAY!!!

Save McCuddy's
02-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Orlando is a hell hole -- an endless ribbon of Outback Steakhouses and Embassy Suites. Stay on the water Rays -- perhaps a new stadium can revitalize St.Pete.

Tropicana is the worst, second to worst and third worst baseball park that I have ever been to.

cbotnyse
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
That looks awesome. A stadium like that could revolutionize the way future ballparks are built. Or could it?I hope so. Its really a shame the Sox missed the opportunity to built a stadium ahead of its time.

RadioheadRocks
02-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Went to Tropicana for the first time last summer and saw the Sox during that four-game sweep. Wasn't crazy about the park, but the parking was free (how cool is that!) plus I loved the stingray tank in center field .

Whitesox029
02-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Looks cool and different but I question its durability in a hurricane.
That was also my first thought. One hurricane and right field will instantly become a giant puddle. The San Francisco-style RF idea is pretty cool, but you have to take the climate into account. In light of that, I think they should build a traditionally enclosed park.

tlebar318
02-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Orlando is a hell hole -- an endless ribbon of Outback Steakhouses and Embassy Suites. Stay on the water Rays -- perhaps a new stadium can revitalize St.Pete.

Tropicana is the worst, second to worst and third worst baseball park that I have ever been to.

Wow that is a little harsh..I am a Chicago Southsider relocated to Orlando and I am here to tell you it is NOT a "hell hole"--you are only seeing the tourist district and personally I would love a MLB franchise here in Osceola County which is just South of Orlando proper--you would then be in the middle of the state and could draw from all over..would'nt hurt with the Sox visiting here locally in Orlando either! :rolleyes:

Save McCuddy's
02-22-2008, 11:24 PM
You're right, "hell hole" was a little harsh. Culture vacuum slightly above sea level is a bit milder.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Maybe, if they build this new park, all the excitement surrounding the first season will propel them to win over 70 games for the first time.

tlebar318
02-23-2008, 01:28 PM
You're right, "hell hole" was a little harsh. Culture vacuum slightly above sea level is a bit milder.

Nice:redneck.....trust me I thought the same thing until I lived here for a while. It is a great place really---just have to get to the "suburbs" of Orlando. My neighbors are all from the Midwest or the NorthEast...all of us complaining about the food down here. Except for the waterfront view, St. Pete
ain't much either....whatever, I love baseball and will go to St. Pete to see the Sox. It is a nice looking stadium proposal.

MiamiSpartan
02-24-2008, 11:15 AM

Orlando is a good 10 years away from being able to support MLB....
It is a very fast growing city, tho, and in ten years should be the largest city in Florida...