PDA

View Full Version : Draft pick trades are in the works

Jerry_Manuel
04-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Chicagosports.com has changed their format, you now have to register in order to read stories on their site.

So I'll leave the link to the Sox page. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/)

Baseball's blue-ribbon committee recommended that teams be allowed to trade picks, arguing that "low-revenue clubs that make economical draft picks rather than select the best available players do not benefit from their high draft position."

I thought this was rich
The story you requested is available only to registered members. Registration is FREE and offers great benefits.

Whatever the Knue-man is offering, I don't want.

sox_fan_4life
04-23-2002, 09:24 PM
I didn't realize that they could not trade draft picks. Does that mean they have to draft a player first, or can the trade draft positions?

RedPinStripes
04-23-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Chicagosports.com has changed their format, you now have to register in order to read stories on their site.

So I'll leave the link to the Sox page. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/)

I thought this was rich

Whatever the Knue-man is offering, I don't want.

Sounds like a set up to sell your email address to every spammer around. FREE CELL PHONE! FREE CAR! YOU WON A BILLION DOLLARS!

Daver
04-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
I didn't realize that they could not trade draft picks. Does that mean they have to draft a player first, or can the trade draft positions?

No you cannot trade positions in the draft,you must sign the player you draft,or he is able to refuse and re-up for the draft.

Tragg
04-23-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't think this is a great idea. There are so many mediocre GMs as it is with regards to trading skill and savvy that putting an entire new layer of tradable commodity on top of it will confuse them even more.

Randar68
04-23-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by daver

No you cannot trade positions in the draft,you must sign the player you draft,or he is able to refuse and re-up for the draft.

In addition, once signed, players can not be traded for one year...

Randar68
04-23-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I don't think this is a great idea. There are so many mediocre GMs as it is with regards to trading skill and savvy that putting an entire new layer of tradable commodity on top of it will confuse them even more.

While I agree, I think the GM part is part of running a successful organization. In addition, GM's rarely have control of exactly who is picked on draft day outside of bonus restraints or positional needs. Scouting directors and scouts do almost all of the draft work.

moochpuppy
04-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Sounds like a set up to sell your email address to every spammer around. FREE CELL PHONE! FREE CAR! YOU WON A BILLION DOLLARS!

They've got to pay for ShaME's salary somehow.