PDA

View Full Version : Owens stronger

thomas35forever
02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I heard a report that Owens put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle. Think he'll make Ozzie's decisions any easier? His new muscle should make him quicker on the basepaths or maybe even give him more power at the plate.

Huisj
02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I heard a report that Owens put on about 15-20 pounds of muscle. Think he'll make Ozzie's decisions any easier? His new muscle should make him quicker on the basepaths or maybe even give him more power at the plate.

He might hit a double this year!

QCIASOXFAN
02-20-2008, 11:03 PM
New Muscle ain't gonna put him on base.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Exactly, that's the only thing I'm looking for Owens to do. If he gets on base and has an OBP of .350+ (BA and SLG be damned!) he should leadoff...it'll be interesting though. Let's see how Quentin does, but it never hurts to have too many options!

SoxSpeed22
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Good to see he's serious about making the team, now hopefully this leads to better bat speed for him and hit a few doubles here and there.

aryzner
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
This news makes me see visions in my head of Willie Mays Hayes from Major League 2.

Madscout
02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
This news makes me see visions in my head of Willie Mays Hayes from Major League 2.

It would be funny if Owens starred in a bad action film...

SoxSpeed22
02-20-2008, 11:20 PM
It would be funny if Owens starred in a bad action film...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyeTPIl7N0Q
"Mine fell the hardest."
"Mine are the deadest!"

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Great. He's 'roiding. That's all we need now.....

Metalthrasher442
02-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Great. He's 'roiding. That's all we need now.....

Lmao by next year he'll weigh 250 and hit 60 hrs for us it'll be great.

HaroMaster87
02-20-2008, 11:57 PM
It's not possible to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle in 4 months...well, naturally, that is

soxfanatlanta
02-21-2008, 06:51 AM
It's not possible to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle in 4 months...well, naturally, that is

I was thinking the very same thing. Is there a doctor in the house who can confirm or debunk this?

DumpJerry
02-21-2008, 06:58 AM
I was thinking the very same thing. Is there a doctor in the house who can confirm or debunk this?
Let's keep in mind the original poster said he "heard" a report that this actually happened. There is no mention where s/he heard this "report" or a link to this "report." I saw Owens on the television recently and he did not look much different than he did last summer. But then, they only showed him from the neck up.

soxfanatlanta
02-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Let's keep in mind the original poster said he "heard" a report that this actually happened. There is no mention where s/he heard this "report" or a link to this "report." I saw Owens on the television recently and he did not look much different than he did last summer. But then, they only showed him from the neck up.

Good point. Nobody here knows for sure if Owens bulked up at all, so I should not jump to conclusions.

I'm still curious: is it possible to add 15-20 pounds of muscle in 4 months without using PEDs?

chisoxmike
02-21-2008, 07:24 AM

Or, hopefully, just be able to carry more bats & bags for the players.

The Milkman
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Good point. Nobody here knows for sure if Owens bulked up at all, so I should not jump to conclusions.

I'm still curious: is it possible to add 15-20 pounds of muscle in 4 months without using PEDs?

Only if you're Lattimer from "The Program"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVxedatlu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxjefR-vdI&feature=related

cws05champ
02-21-2008, 08:04 AM

I beleive the report was he put on 10lbs of muscle, I think it's possible with the right diet and excersize plan. People have to remember, these guys don't have regualr jobs and lives. Their job is to work out and eat right to get their bodies into prime condition. Not watch The Biggest Loser and munch on some chips on the couch.

FedEx227
02-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I beleive the report was he put on 10lbs of muscle, I think it's possible with the right diet and excersize plan. People have to remember, these guys don't have regualr jobs and lives. Their job is to work out and eat right to get their bodies into prime condition. Not watch The Biggest Loser and munch on some chips on the couch.

Yeah that's absolutely possible when you're working out twice a day, eating exactly the right meals, etc.

10 pounds of muscle is perfectly normal, when he jumps to 240 then it's time to get a little curious.

chisox77
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I'll take this news for what it is. Owens wants to play and is serious about getting better. For now, that's good news.

:cool:

soxfan13
02-21-2008, 09:25 AM

About 10 pounds is what they said in the Times yesterday BUTany weight gain /added muscle will always be questioned from here on out. Thats just the way the world is now:(:

veeter
02-21-2008, 09:38 AM
New Muscle ain't gonna put him on base.I'm not giving you grief, because you're not alone with this thinking. But can we give Jerry some benefit of the doubt? I know he was an 'older' rookie, but he was, by season's end, really improving. He WAS getting on base. And was stealing bases at will. Let's see how he performs. I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong.

palehozenychicty
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm not giving you grief, because you're not alone with this thinking. But can we give Jerry some benefit of the doubt? I know he was an 'older' rookie, but he was, by season's end, really improving. He WAS getting on base. And was stealing bases at will. Let's see how he performs. I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong.

Thank you. People here are riding his ass so hard. He was playing better at the end of the year, so let's see what happens. Who thought that Danks would become a rotation member at the beginning of last spring?

spawn
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Good for him. I don't understand why people are giving the man grief for trying to improve his strength to make himself a better player. These same people would be *****ing if he came into camp out of shape, saying he didn't care enough to come to camp in shape.

jenn2080
02-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Good for him. I don't understand why people are giving the man grief for trying to improve his strength to make himself a better player. These same people would be *****ing if he came into camp out of shape, saying he didn't care enough to come to camp in shape.

NO ****! I do not think that Jerry did that bad last year. Give the kid a break already.

Luke
02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
About 10 pounds is what they said in the Times yesterday BUTany weight gain /added muscle will always be questioned from here on out. Thats just the way the world is now:(:

Sounds reasonable.

I think a pound a week of muscle is the rule of thumb under optimal conditions. That's reasonable for a pro athlete. Given access to a trainer, an ideal diet, and a full night of sleep every night.

Too bad you're right...there's always going to be someone to question it now.

Domeshot17
02-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Ehh Carlos Quentin still has worlds more potential then Owens.

It is good to see him want to compete but lets see if this added weight actually translates into more hits/ebh and most important more plate discipline.

rowand33
02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
A person can naturally put on 1-2 lbs a week.

So over 4 months, Owens could have put on anywhere from 16-32 lbs.

This is with proper training and nutrition.

20 lbs over 4 months for a pro athlete with access to trainers and nutritionist should in no way set off red flags.

voodoochile
02-21-2008, 10:51 AM

20 lbs over 4 months for a pro athlete with access to trainers and nutritionist should in no way set off red flags.

He's also 6'3". 10 pounds over that much height is nothing to add.

soxfan13
02-21-2008, 10:52 AM

Forever more there will always be red flags until they fix the steroid/HGH mess in baseball.

southsideirish71
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Hopefully with the new found muscle it wont require 2 people to cut his throws coming into the plate this year. His arm last year was Pierre-esque.

ChiTownTrojan
02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I put on six pounds over dinner once (it was a six pound burrito). 10 pounds over 4 months is nothing.

As long as it doesn't slow him down on the basepaths, this can only be a good thing.

Huisj
02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
I put on six pounds over dinner once (it was a six pound burrito). 10 pounds over 4 months is nothing.

As long as it doesn't slow him down on the basepaths, this can only be a good thing.

How much of that was lost in the restroom over the next day or so? :D:

white sox bill
02-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry people but unless you are a freak, 10lbs per YEAR yes YEAR would be doing fantastic. I mean high quality muscle, zippo fat. These people who come into the gym and tell me they want to get big and are eating tuna and egg whites crack me up. Can you get "big" doing it that way? Yes but it would take soooooo loooonnngg and even then you would still be undersized. A much better way: Operation seafood--you see food, you eat it. Period. Excludes sugary and most fast food. Bottom line: Wanna get cut? Tuna,egg whites,cod,chicken etc. Get big? Red meat, potatoes,starchy carbs,salmon,chicken,whole eggs,bacon etc.

You need massive calories to pack on mucho size. The cutting foods just don't cut it. You wanna have huge size AND six pack abs? HAAAAAA HAAAA!
You have to give up something (abs) to get something (size).

JO has put on size along with some BF

white sox bill
02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Also get that outdated thinking that longer workouts equate bigger muscle. If that were true, spend every waking minute in the gym. Keep WO's INTENSE but brief for size building. If my WO's last longer than an hour I punish myself by walking out. Don't be afraid to take 5-7 days off between muscle groups, sometimes even longer, IF and only IF you have gone 110% intensity.

Sorry for the hijack! I really like Owens and hope he can contribute this yr

jabrch
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Really?

jabrch
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM

An athlete gaining or losing weight is usually fairly different than the poop you took after dinner.

For a thin guy like Owens, gaining 10 lbs of muscle is significant.