PDA

View Full Version : I miss SOX fans

BlackHat91
02-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Even in the Chicago area, we are somewhat of a rare breed. (We're outnumbered by that other Chicago team's fans by what - like 3 to 1?)

Living in Minny has been tough as a SOX fan. Outside of a Twins/Sox game, I have yet to see anyone with so much as a White Sox cap on.

But of course there aren't any shortages of Cubs fans here. Cubs window stickers, locals proclaiming how awesome Wrigley Field is, I even spotted someone with a "CUBSFAN" Minnesota license plate. Wow.

So my question to other SOX fans who live outside of Chicago, how do you get your fix of all things White Sox besides WSI? Trips to CHI for games? MLB Extra Innings package? Local Chicago friendly bars?

At least I get WGN here, so I can catch a few games being broadcast by our favorite homers.

BlackHat91
02-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Wait, wait. I lied. I saw a guy at a party this summer with a WS05 hat on. I asked him what his story was. He said that he was dating one of Bud Selig's granddaughters at the time and because of that, was able to go to Game 1 of the WS. We immediately bonded over our hatred for the Twins and Cubs and our love for the Brewers and White Sox. (Of course the Brewers were his first team though).

MinnySoxFan
02-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Wait a sec...You have this guy. I just listen to my xm for the games, and make my yearly pilgramige (sp?) to the ballpark, which I am staying for 8 to 10 days this year. It's easy to deal with over time.

LITTLE NELL
02-20-2008, 05:07 AM
There are a lot of Chicagoans and Sox fans here in SW Florida, though we are outnumbered by BoSox fans since thry train down here. I see the Sox when they play the Rays in Tampa and watch every game on WGN, Fox and ESPN. I read all I can on the internet and of course WSI.

Bucky F. Dent
02-20-2008, 05:50 AM
1 - head to chicago once a year to catch a game.
2 - catch as many of the Charlotte games as possible when they come through Indy
3 - catch every game I can on cable
4 - maintain a healthy rivalry with all the flubs fans in Indy.
5 - WSI

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I feel your pain. I lived in Minnesota in the early 80's (went to school there) and had to suffer with Twins and Viking fans. The Twinkie fans reminded me of Cub fans. Viking fans are truly possessed by something evil.

I used to go to Sox/Twins games at the Dome, but quit doing so because indoor baseball is worse than kissing your sister. The good thing about Minnesotans is that they are totally peaceful. I would cheer my ass off for the Sox and nobody threw anything at me. Ever. Same with the Bears/Vikes' game I went to in '85.

I left the state in July, '87. Just in time to avoid the World Series.

XM radio and Directv TV Season Ticket are your friends.

In October, you'll be able to see the Good Guys on network telly.

MiamiSpartan
02-20-2008, 07:34 AM
I feel your pain. Try living in South Florida with all these damn Yankee and Red Sux fans!!
Marlin fans I can handle, 'cause I like them, too....but the others??:angry:

Frontman
02-20-2008, 07:52 AM
I should put you in touch with my best friend up there in Minneapolis. While he and his wife are Twins/Vikings fans; they are two of the nicest people in the world. Plus, they came into Chicago for my wife and my anniversary, for the Twins/Sox game (last Buehrle game prior to the AS break) last season; and while they rooted for the Twins, they certainly are polite about it and were there to have fun.

I can handle fans of any team (including the Cubs) who root for their team to have fun. When folks do the "I'm a Cubs fan since I hate the Sox, and I hope Mark Buehrle blows out his shoulder" type, I'm never partial to them.

kraut83
02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
1. I'm just over 3 hours from the Cell, so about 3-4 trips per year are the norm.
2. I'm less than an hour from Comerica, so I'll usually hit most of the games in Detroit. Most Tiger fans have been great, and I've enjoyed talking baseball with them. Most of my buddies are Tiger fans as well, which makes for a fun rivalry!
3. As said before, XM radio has been great, and though I'm too cheap to go with extra innings, I still get a handful of games on WGN.

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Even in the Chicago area, we are somewhat of a rare breed. (We're outnumbered by that other Chicago team's fans by what - like 3 to 1?)

Hi Henry.

Scottiehaswheels
02-20-2008, 09:15 AM
1. I plan on getting to maybe 20 games this year to use up at least some of the tix on my season ticket plan, along with my usual 2-3 roadtrips a year.

2. Direct TV's sports package gets me CSN and CSN+. I really only miss the WCIU games which isn't too bad I suppose.

3. XM Radio 175, listen to it almost constantly during the season/offseason.

I see people wearing Sox hats here and there but not a great majority of people or anything. I suspect a few of those are gangsta posers too. One of the guys I work with is a Sox "fan", but mostly because he went to college with a bunch of guys from the Region. I wear my Sox stuff almost constantly here.

I'm looking for a Sox mailbox cover for a BIG mailbox if anyone knows where I can find one? I've been ruled down on a big Sox symbol on the garage door so that is my concillatory prize, if I can find one.

jenn2080
02-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Living in Minny has been tough as a SOX fan. Outside of a Twins/Sox game, I have yet to see anyone with so much as a White Sox cap on.

But of course there aren't any shortages of Cubs fans here. Cubs window stickers, locals proclaiming how awesome Wrigley Field is, I even spotted someone with a "CUBSFAN" Minnesota license plate. Wow.

So my question to other SOX fans who live outside of Chicago, how do you get your fix of all things White Sox besides WSI? Trips to CHI for games? MLB Extra Innings package? Local Chicago friendly bars?

At least I get WGN here, so I can catch a few games being broadcast by our favorite homers.
:rolleyes: Oh jesus! They are another MLB team. Get over it.

kittle42
02-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi Henry.

Well, he'd be right about one thing...we're outnumbered on the only side of the City that matters. :cool:

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, he'd be right about one thing...we're outnumbered on the only side of the City that matters. :cool:

I don't know what that means.

jenn2080
02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't know what that means.

The northside?

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 10:05 AM

Minnesota blows big time. Even worse, there are Twins fans there. Quite possibly the biggest dorks on the planet.

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Minnesota blows big time. Even worse, there are Twins fans there. Quite possibly the biggest dorks on the planet.

Chips is the biggest dork on the planet.

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Chips is the biggest dork on the planet.

He is a Michael Cuddyer and Ron Gardenhire fan boy....

MsSoxVixen22
02-20-2008, 10:46 AM

I feel your pain. I lived in Elmwood Park, for most of my life and I caught nothing but **** from people for being a Sox fan. Almost everyone was a Cub fan up there. Since I've moved to Glendale Heights, I see ALOT of Sox fans on and around the area! I'm glad we moved! :bandance: I remember last summer, I was out eating lunch w/my parents and my Dad complimented a guy on his Sox jacket. He then started talking to us and offered us 2 tickets to that night's game! Sox fans are the best! :)

moochpuppy
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I lived in Minnesota for 8 years (1998-2006) and now reside in Ft. Myers, Florida (can't get away from those damn Twins).

I get my Sox fix by watching all possible games on WGN, FOX and ESPN. There is also a place here in Bonita Springs called Doc's Beach House and the owner is from Chicago and has everything Chicago up on the walls.

http://www.docsbeachhouse.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing the Sox play up in Tampa this summer. I wish they would move back to Sarasota as well.

ThatGuyOnTheL
02-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I remember last summer, I was out eating lunch w/my parents and my Dad complimented a guy on his Sox jacket. He then started talking to us and offered us 2 tickets to that night's game! Sox fans are the best! :)

Yep - a few summers ago, while waiting outside a friend's office in the Loop, a guy saw my Sox jersey and offered me 2 tickets for that evening's game. They were much better tickets than we would have purchased for ourselves, although those were the good old days of half-price Monday tickets throughout the park :D:

PKalltheway
02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I live in the heart of Reds country, and I usually get my fix by watching the games on tv (we've been getting MLB Extra Innings since 2005), and of course, getting on here. A lot of Reds fans are usually apathetic towards the AL in general, so I don't get too much trouble here. I try to go to a Sox game when I can, but it's usually on an infrequent basis, especially since the Sox rarely come to Cincinnati. Since I have family in Chicago though, it usually isn't too tough for me to come there.

The last time I saw the Sox in person was in 2006 (3 games in Cincy, 2 in Chicago vs. the Twins).

rdivaldi
02-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Fixed it...

cws05champ
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I feel your pain. Try living in South Florida with all these damn Yankee and Red Sux fans!!
Marlin fans I can handle, 'cause I like them, too....but the others??:angry:

I'm with you Spartan, I hate the baseball fans down here. I live in Boca, it's Yanks and redsox central. My favorite moment was game 3 of the ALCS vs BoSox...me and two White Sox buddies went to Boston's bar in Delray beach and watch the Sox clinch it. Needless to say we were the only one's in the bar cheering and hugging!!!:bandance:

I get the MLB package through Directv, watch as many games as I can, tool around WSI and make at least one trip to Chicago for a game every year...as well as an away sox game.

TDog
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
There were a few years when I felt like the only Sox fan in Alaska. A former Juneau mayor, however, told me he was a Sox fan because he liked Jungle Jim Rivera when he was a kid. And during the World Series, there were people from Chicago who suddenly became Sox fans. But most of the time it was a cold, lonely and dark place for Sox fans.

There were Cubs fans all over the place, though. One was my supervisor at work.

Now in Modesto, I have to deal with A's fans. The Giants fans aren't so bad, though.

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
There were a few years when I felt like the only Sox fan in Alaska. A former Juneau mayor, however, told me he was a Sox fan because he liked Jungle Jim Rivera when he was a kid. And during the World Series, there were people from Chicago who suddenly became Sox fans. But most of the time it was a cold, lonely and dark place for Sox fans.

There were Cubs fans all over the place, though. One was my supervisor at work.

Now in Modesto, I have to deal with A's fans. The Giants fans aren't so bad, though.
You need to buy a Swisher jersey.

tony1972
02-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I feel your pain. I lived in Minnesota in the early 80's (went to school there) and had to suffer with Twins and Viking fans. The Twinkie fans reminded me of Cub fans. Viking fans are truly possessed by something evil.

I used to go to Sox/Twins games at the Dome, but quit doing so because indoor baseball is worse than kissing your sister. The good thing about Minnesotans is that they are totally peaceful. I would cheer my ass off for the Sox and nobody threw anything at me. Ever. Same with the Bears/Vikes' game I went to in '85.

I left the state in July, '87. Just in time to avoid the World Series.

XM radio and Directv TV Season Ticket are your friends.

In October, you'll be able to see the Good Guys on network telly.

What's wrong with kissing your sister?:?:

MarySwiss
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I actually don't have it so bad here. There's a sports bar that's owned by a Sox fan and other Sox fans drop by there. About the only bad time is now, when all the Cubs fans show up at ST in Mesa.

Red Barchetta
02-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I lived in Minnesota for 8 years (1998-2006) and now reside in Ft. Myers, Florida (can't get away from those damn Twins).

I get my Sox fix by watching all possible games on WGN, FOX and ESPN. There is also a place here in Bonita Springs called Doc's Beach House and the owner is from Chicago and has everything Chicago up on the walls.

http://www.docsbeachhouse.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing the Sox play up in Tampa this summer. I wish they would move back to Sarasota as well.

I live near Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch and I've been to Docs in Ft. Myers. Great place!

I moved to SW Florida in the spring of 2005 (Doh!) :angry: but still have a small stake in a season ticket package with some friends. I travel back to Chicago on a regular basis for business and always make sure the SOX are in town when I schedule meetings during the season. On the average, I still see about 10 games per year at the Cell and then I try to catch most of the games in St. Pete when they play the Rays (two series this season).

With the WGN, Fox, ESPN and Rays vs. SOX broadcast games, I average 1 game per week on television, so I still get a healthy dose of White Sox baseball. Plus, I love "Baseball Tonight" even though 1/2 the show focused on the Yankees and Red Sox.

Florida is a mixed bag when it comes to baseball as most residents are from somewhere else. A lot of Yankees and Red Sox fans. Locally, we have the Pirates, Reds, Phillies, Yankees and Rays training within a few miles, however I really wish the SOX were still in Sarasota vs. Arizona.

We have a Chicago bar/restaurant called Joey D's in Bradenton where I watch Bears games, however I think the owner leans more torwards the Cubs than SOX based on the pictures and logos decorating the place.

The one thing I hate is when you tell someone you're from Chicago and they automatically assume your a Cubs fan. :mad: I remember after the SOX won the World Series a Boston fan asked me how long I was on the SOX bandwagon and I replied "30 years!" :tongue:

On the flip side, the week after the SOX won the WS in 2005, I was at Lowes wearing my late 80's pigtail "C" logo SOX hat when I ran into another SOX fan wearing the red/white/blue 83' hat. We immediately recognized each other as hardcore fans and we talked for over an hour in the lawn and garden section. :D:

asindc
02-20-2008, 06:52 PM
The only thing annoying about the fans around here in DC is that they are 'Skins-obsessed to an almost unhealthy degree, and many of them are fair-weather at that. A much more minor point is that when I mention the Sox, most ppl think of Boston. Understandable, so I don't sweat it. Baltimore fans are generally cool with the Sox, and some even understand our Cubs annoyance. They see it in the same vein as their Yanks and Boston annoyance. The Nats experience is still very new, so most DC fans have a Balt. perspective when it comes to other MLB teams.

My girlfriend lives in Minny, grew up a Twins fan (kind of), but I converted her to the Sox when I told her of Bobby Jenks' rescue from the brink. She is a sucker for a heart-warming story. I hope to attend a Twins game this summer, just to check the Twinkiedome off my list. If I don't, no sweat.

Railsplitter
02-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I reject the notion Schlub fans outnumber Sox fans 3 to 1.

soxjim
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I know the feeling both back home in Rockford and Kuwait. We have 2 known SOX fans in my battalion. We plan on having our pictures taken by the Illinois street sign on base holding my SOX banner.

moochpuppy
02-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I live near Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch and I've been to Docs in Ft. Myers. Great place!

Just in this thread alone there seems to be 4 or 5 of us in the SW Florida area. We should all meet up for a game at Doc's this season.

TDog
02-21-2008, 06:10 PM
You need to buy a Swisher jersey.

Like I would wear a jersey with someone else's name on it.

Taliesinrk
02-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Oh please. Bears fans ARE Cubs fans.. disgusting. Anywho, having lived in the twin cities for a few years, it can be hard. But you just have to make the most of the situation. I mean, now with XM, you should get your fill pretty easily - if you don't have it, it's a must. Also, there's something pretty fun about going to the ballpark/bar and being one of the only ones rooting for that team. MIN fans are usually pretty fun, and should NEVER be put in the same sentence as Cubs and Bears fans. Please note, I'm a pretty hard Vikes fan too - so partially biased. Just my $.02

P.S. and oh yeah, by the way, although less than ideal, IMO, indoor baseball isn't all that bad. better than having snow outs all the time

bigsoxfan420
02-22-2008, 11:13 AM
There are a lot of Chicagoans and Sox fans here in SW Florida, though we are outnumbered by BoSox fans since thry train down here. I see the Sox when they play the Rays in Tampa and watch every game on WGN, Fox and ESPN. I read all I can on the internet and of course WSI.

My Parent's live in Estero and laugh at how the FRONT page of the paper will have a story about how the Equipment manager is unloading bats! Or my favorite from last week (my wife and I were just down there visiting) "Curt Schilling Speaks".

moochpuppy
02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
My Parent's live in Estero and laugh at how the FRONT page of the paper will have a story about how the Equipment manager is unloading bats! Or my favorite from last week (my wife and I were just down there visiting) "Curt Schilling Speaks".

It is ridiculous. Even the local news stations had video of people unloading the teams equipment.

RadioheadRocks
02-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm out here in Tornado Alley and not too many of us here either. I watch on WGN whenever I can, plus I have XM radio (except my apartment's exposure is to the northeast so I occasionally have problems with the signal fading out). I also work for an airline so I travel a lot (back and forth to Chicago and also the occasional road trip). Will be in Tucson from the 5th to the 12th, plus I already have my ticket set up for the game at Bricktown Ballpark on the 28th vs. the Rangers.

The one annoying thing though (and I apologize for the rant) is that I still get approached whenever I'm in my Sox gear and am told that I'm "wearing the wrong colors" This of course comes mostly from sCrUB fans (plus a few Yankee and Red Sox fans), and usually I just respond "HELL NO!" and leave it at that. I'm not sure what the problem is with these fools; I mean I never criticize folks wearing Cub gear or tell them they're cheering for the wrong team, but it sure seems there's a lot of it going the other way around. IMHO this can best be attributed to most of these morons never learning the simple life lesson "better to be thought a fool and say nothing, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

LITTLE NELL
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Just in this thread alone there seems to be 4 or 5 of us in the SW Florida area. We should all meet up for a game at Doc's this season.
I live just off Bonita Beach Road about 6 miles east of Docs. Would love to meet fellow Sox fans for a cold one.

Red Barchetta
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I live just off Bonita Road about 6 miles east of Docs. Would love to meet fellow Sox fans for a cold one.

I agree. Let's pick a game. Perhaps a Sox/Cubs interleague for more fun! Plus, those series are weekend games so more of us can make the I75 trek.

kevin57
02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Ummmm...try moving to a place where Cricket is the closest thing they have to baseball.

Miss Sox fans? You betcha.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Ummmm...try moving to a place where Cricket is the closest thing they have to baseball.

Miss Sox fans? You betcha.Hmmm. Let's see: Antigua without the Sox, or Minnesota without the Sox.

Antigua...Minnesota...Antigua...Minnesota...

Can I get back to you on this one?

kevin57
02-25-2008, 06:07 PM
C'mon down, Nellie.

Always lots of sun to share.

chisoxflafan
02-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Good Morning my fellow Sox fans. I live in Fort Myers and would love to get together with diehard fans of our beloved Sox.