PDA

View Full Version : Manuel is an idiot!

KruseControl04
04-23-2002, 10:11 PM
Why the hell did Jerry bring in Foulke?!? Ritchie was having the greatest game ever. He had the opportunity to get his first complete game in a White Sox uniform. But instead Manuel decides to bring out Foulke and give me a freaking heat attack by bringing the tying run to the plate! Thank God for double plays.

RedPinStripes
04-23-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by KruseControl04
Why the hell did Jerry bring in Foulke?!? Ritchie was having the greatest game ever. He had the opportunity to get his first complete game in a White Sox uniform. But instead Manuel decides to bring out Foulke and give me a freaking heat attack by bringing the tying run to the plate! Thank God for double plays.

Because Jerry goes by the idiots book of managing. :D:

sox_fan_4life
04-23-2002, 10:12 PM
I wonder how many complete games have been pitched under Manual?
Not very many I would bet.

MattSharp
04-23-2002, 10:13 PM
What was Ritchie's pitch count when they took him out? JM is so obsessed with not going to many over 100. I am sure thats what did it......

sox_fan_4life
04-23-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
What was Ritchie's pitch count when they took him out? JM is so obsessed with not going to many over 100. I am sure thats what did it......

He went over 100 in the 7th.

I think he was at 118 after 8.

MattSharp
04-23-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life

I think he was at 118 after 8. Troll.

You have a serious problem if you think I am a troll. But you know, do what you gotta do......

RedPinStripes
04-23-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life

I think he was at 118 after 8. Troll.

well. I would like to see more cg's out of the Sox, but I won't complain now eventhough Keith almost made me go through the roof. All that matters is the Sox beat the toons!

:pee :notoons

Kilroy
04-23-2002, 10:32 PM
Manuel's not an idiot for bringing in his 6 million dollar closer. That's Foulke's job. He supposed to come in and close the door.
You can't blame Manuel for Foulke doing a poor job.

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 10:32 PM
I can't believe you people sometimes. you all scream fire Nardi anytime a pitcher has any struggles or gets injured, yet you jump all over Manuel for pulling a pitcher before his pitch count get dangerously high. there appears to be a pretty strong correlation between consistently throwing a lot of pitches and getting injured. frankly I'm galn JM pulls guys when he does, a complete game is meaningless especially when it could come at the cost of an injury to a pitcher. Sure the odds aren't that high, but why take a risk if you don't have to?

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Zednem700
frankly I'm galn JM pulls guys when he does

Um actually I'm GLAD not galn

Iguana775
04-23-2002, 11:26 PM

Um actually I'm GLAD not galn

you can edit your post. just click the 'edit' button on your post. :)

GASHWOUND
04-23-2002, 11:29 PM
I can't believe you people sometimes. you all scream fire Nardi anytime a pitcher has any struggles or gets injured, yet you jump all over Manuel for pulling a pitcher before his pitch count get dangerously high. there appears to be a pretty strong correlation between consistently throwing a lot of pitches and getting injured. frankly I'm galn JM pulls guys when he does, a complete game is meaningless especially when it could come at the cost of an injury to a pitcher. Sure the odds aren't that high, but why take a risk if you don't have to?

Yeah, i kinda agree with you. Ritchie was rollin and "probably" could've finsihed it up, but I don't mind it. Didn't Ritchie have over 120 pitches(not sure)?

doctor30th
04-23-2002, 11:35 PM
The only thing I can figure is that because the Top of the 8th and 9th actually took a while his arm might have started feeling the effects of the 8 innings of pitching, while he just sat on the bench waiting for his chance to come back.

I mean try throwing 100+ times then sitting down for a long half inning.

TimChamp
04-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
The only thing I can figure is that because the Top of the 8th and 9th actually took a while his arm might have started feeling the effects of the 8 innings of pitching, while he just sat on the bench waiting for his chance to come back.

I mean try throwing 100+ times then sitting down for a long half inning.

I agree, I mean, come on people, we're winning here...it's not like we're losing. I don't mind it when you guys criticize Manuel for making bonehead decisions when we lose, but when we win, then give the guy a break, a job well done for not screwing up, right??? The season is not a 40 yard dash to the finish, but rather a marathon of 162 games...I don't know about you guys, but I would like our guys (especially pitchers) to still be pretty "fresh" by the time September/October (I hope for October!) arrives...

In my opinion, I think, up to this point, Jerry's "managing" this year, has been the best I've seen of him ever since he's been here...He makes less and less moves that makes me scratch my head...Granted that I still believe he gives a quick hook to the pitchers, but I think Nardi might have something to do with that aspect of the game...

If we're winning, just enjoy the victories as they come and if we lose, then let's talk about some managerial moves that might have been bad...

Champ out

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Manuel's not an idiot for bringing in his 6 million dollar closer. That's Foulke's job. He supposed to come in and close the door.
You can't blame Manuel for Foulke doing a poor job.

Keith was a hr away from making you rephrase that. I know foulke is the closer and it is his job. I give manuel hell because it's almost as if he reads out of a book with managing at times.

I didn't mind what he did tonight because he let ritchie go tiil the 8th and broaght in foulke, but he scares the hell out of me in big games. I know this isn't the biggest game bcause it's so early, but Cleaveland it always a big game.

It all worked so I'm not going to bitch anymore. I still think Manuel did a ***** job on monday though.

RedPinStripes
04-24-2002, 12:21 AM
I can't believe you people sometimes. you all scream fire Nardi anytime a pitcher has any struggles or gets injured, yet you jump all over Manuel for pulling a pitcher before his pitch count get dangerously high. but why take a risk if you don't have to?

I wanted Nardi fired 2 years ago. I never liked that pitcher killer. So you'll never see a specific time i say fire nardi. It's all the time. And Manuel does over manage A lot. He didn't tonight though.

bc2k
04-24-2002, 12:35 AM
I don't blame Manuel for letting his closer pitch the 9th. If Ritchie had a shutout going, I would have liked to see him go for the complete game, but he didn't, so I can't complain.

Iwritecode
04-24-2002, 01:30 AM
Ritchie was at 112 pitches. Which is more important: getting the 'W' or letting Ritchie pitch a CG? I'll take the W any time.

As far as Foulke goes, that is what he always does. The past 2 years he has routinely let the other team close to within a run or put the tying or winning run on base before getting that last out. I know he doesn't do it on purpose but it just seems like he's never happy until the pressure it really packed on and all the fans are having heart attacks.

FarWestChicago
04-24-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I know he doesn't do it on purpose but it just seems like he's never happy until the pressure it really packed on and all the fans are having heart attacks. :keith

I love messing with you guys!

MikeKreevich
04-24-2002, 07:04 AM
Pittsburgh trade looked pretty good last night. Ritche is the real deal.

Soxboyrob
04-24-2002, 09:43 AM
There was really nothing wrong w/ taking out Ritchie at that point. It's still fairly early in the year and 115 or so pitches is quite a bit for April. Maybe by midseason, he finishes the game. We won and Foulke didn't give up a run.

Foulke has a fair share of 1-2-3 ninth innings and he sometimes has to pitch out of a jam. He was facing the heart of the Indian lineup and loaded the bases with one out and got out of it somehow. That's hard to do and it's something that most pitchers wouldn't be able to do.

Manuel deserves some credit for how he's handled the pen lately. His moves have been successful ever since the debacle in Seattle. He seems to bring in the right guy at the right time, even if we have to sit on the edge of our seats in the meantime.

baggio202
04-24-2002, 03:20 PM
the last time manuel really stretched a pitcher out was back in '00...he let JB get a CG in an 11-0 win i believe over the A's...JB threw 127 pitches that day....JB's very next start he threw out his shoulder in the first inning...two starts later he was on the DL..

i am 100% sure that incident always pops up in jerry's head when he makes a move to remove a pitcher

Cheryl
04-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

As far as Foulke goes, that is what he always does. The past 2 years he has routinely let the other team close to within a run or put the tying or winning run on base before getting that last out. I know he doesn't do it on purpose but it just seems like he's never happy until the pressure it really packed on and all the fans are having heart attacks.

This is what drives me nuts, not Manual pulling a guy who has thrown 112 pitches. I know Foulke threw a 3 up-3 down 9th once this year--I don't remember what game, but it stood out because it's so rare.

voodoochile
04-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

This is what drives me nuts, not Manual pulling a guy who has thrown 112 pitches. I know Foulke threw a 3 up-3 down 9th once this year--I don't remember what game, but it stood out because it's so rare.

Man, this is too funny... What is with all the posters complaining about Foulke ALMOST blowing a save - IF he had managed to give up a home run.

Haven't any of you heard the expression "close only counts in horseshoes and Atom bombs"?

I hate Keith Foulke - he made me raise my blood pressure and yell at the TV when he saved that last game!!!

Sheesh...

bjmarte
04-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Exactly. I hate the way Keith Foulke has saved so many games for us over the last couple of years.

Originally posted by voodoochile

Man, this is too funny... What is with all the posters complaining about Foulke ALMOST blowing a save - IF he had managed to give up a home run.

Haven't any of you heard the expression "close only counts in horseshoes and Atom bombs"?

I hate Keith Foulke - he made me raise my blood pressure and yell at the TV when he saved that last game!!!

Sheesh...

Kilroy
04-24-2002, 04:18 PM

Sheesh...

On one hand, I agree. But on the other, I think that Lee Smith's time has come and gone. We don't need him reincarnated in Foulke.

Cheryl
04-24-2002, 04:20 PM
I don't hate Keith--he's the 2nd best closer out there. I just hate the constant drama.

doctor30th
04-24-2002, 05:54 PM
I just think Keith is so good, he's trying to be like Satchel Paige.

Paulwny
04-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I don't hate Keith--he's the 2nd best closer out there. I just hate the constant drama.

I understand that he's heavily invested in antacid companies.

Cheryl
04-24-2002, 07:18 PM
Well if he gives me a heart attack he can pay my hospital bill.

Spiff
04-24-2002, 07:36 PM

Sheesh...

I heard it as horseshoes and hand grenades but six of one....

And people will find a way to complain about ANYTHING.

But the bullpen has 11 straight scoreless innings and Foulke hasn't given up a run since Seattle, plus THE SOX ARE IN FIRST. So life is good for Sox fans the way I see it.