PDA

View Full Version : Looks like no: Red Sox Sign Bartolo Colon

kba
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
For what it's worth, this (http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=2281&format=html) Spanish-language newspaper says Colon has reached a preliminary agreement with the Sox. I have no idea whether this is a credible source.

Here's my best attempt at an English translation:

Manager Ozzie Guillen went to Santiago de los Caballeros to see Bartolo Colon throw.

Better late than never, now the fruits will be seen.

Impactodeportivo.com.do learned Tuesday that Colon has reached a preliminary agreement with the White Sox.

He at the moment is in the process of physical examination.

After posting a 6-8 mark and 6.34 ERA, he now seems to be aimed at Chicago.

More details to come.

Sockinchisox
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Woah, odd.

Rockabilly
02-19-2008, 09:56 PM
if this is true it will be a great pick up if he can stay healthy

sox1970
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Interesting.

I would assume this will be a minor league deal if true.

EMachine10
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
MLBTR should be reading this and making an announcement soon :cool:

I'd like to see this happen. Give us another arm to look at.

Gavin
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/img/topnew2.jpg

Sockinchisox
02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
MLBTR should be reading this and making an announcement soon :cool:

I'd like to see this happen. Give us another arm to look at.

It's already up on their site.

oeo
02-19-2008, 10:21 PM
if this is true it will be a great pick up if he can stay healthy

That's if he even makes the team. Considering the reports on him, and now he's crawling back to the Sox because no one wants him, I doubt he would.

chisoxmike
02-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Where's Otis with the scoop?:rolleyes:

goon
02-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Where's Munchman?

Rockabilly
02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Lets say Colon is healthy

What does that do to the Crede for Lowry suppose deal..

sox1970
02-19-2008, 10:35 PM

I think Crede is going to the Giants, but I don't think Cain or Lowry will be involved. It'll probably be a minor leaguers.

DumpJerry
02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Where's Munchman?
In Arizona downing some cold ones with Kenny. It's Munch's turn to buy.

gf2020
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I really like this move if it is a one year deal. I know some people want to tear down the roster, but I like how KW goes for it every year.

Rockabilly
02-19-2008, 10:42 PM
What if question if Colon is signed to a major league deal who comes off the 40 man roster..

peeonwrigley
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
What if question if Colon is signed to a major league deal who comes off the 40 man roster..

One of the young and/or crappy pitchers on there now.

WhiteOut05
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Granted is from mlbtraderumors.com soo who knows the validity.

-----------------------

White Sox Reach Agreement With Colon?
Impacto Deportivo indicates tonight that the White Sox reached an agreement with starter Bartolo Colon, pending a physical. We'll have to see whether his shoulder passes the test. Impacto Deportivo has a good track record but often jumps the gun, so we may see some semi-rebuttals from the Sox.

Assuming Colon still has something in the tank, I like the move. It has to be a one-year contract. This is the kind of gamble the Sox need to pan out if they're to sniff the Wild Card. If the big righty is able to take the mound, John Danks and Gavin Floyd would presumably battle for the fifth starter job. However, Floyd is out of options so he could become the long man if Danks wins.

The White Sox acquired Colon for the '03 season; he posted a 3.87 ERA in 242 innings that year.

-----------------------

I'd imagine this to be a low base, high incentive deal; so I liken it to the Prior deal with SD: it'd be a win/win/win.

he pitches well: we win
he doesn't: we don't lose much money, and have options to replace him
he eats: boosts the cities economy

sox1970
02-19-2008, 10:49 PM

I'll be very surprised if this isn't a minor league deal. The Sox don't have a ton of non-roster invitees this year, so they may just be bringing him in just to push some guys.

gf2020
02-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I'll be very surprised if this isn't a minor league deal. The Sox don't have a ton of non-roster invitees this year, so they may just be bringing him in just to push some guys.
I'd be equally surprised that Colon would wait this long already and then sign on to a minor league deal before camps really open. This almost has to be a major league deal.

sox1970
02-19-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd be equally surprised that Colon would wait this long already and then sign on to a minor league deal before camps really open. This almost has to be a major league deal.

He's 35 in May, and hasn't been able to stay on the mound since September of 2005. Chances are he wasn't able to find a team to give him a guaranteed deal.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmm...well, he's go nowhere to go but up, right?

In all honesty, I love this deal. Now let's just hope that he can stay healthy and have a year like he did in '05!

rowand33
02-19-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm very happy about this.

Kenny had a good offseason. This is exactly what I wanted him to do as far as SP are concerned: sign a vet to compete with the kids.

Now what will we get for Crede?

oh, rotoworld has picked this up:

Bartolo Colon has reportedly reached a preliminary agreement with the White Sox and is taking a physical.

The White Sox are believed to have offered Colon a one-year deal with a low base salary last month. It didn't interest him at the time, but he probably couldn't do any better after a rather unimpressive showing in winter ball. Colon would compete with John Danks and Gavin Floyd for two spots in the White Sox rotation.
Source: Impactodeportivo.com.do (http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=2281&format=html)

jabrch
02-19-2008, 11:03 PM
per Rotoworld

Bartolo Colon has reportedly reached a preliminary agreement with the White Sox and is taking a physical.

The White Sox are believed to have offered Colon a one-year deal with a low base salary last month. It didn't interest him at the time, but he probably couldn't do any better after a rather unimpressive showing in winter ball. Colon would compete with John Danks and Gavin Floyd for two spots in the White Sox rotation.
Source: Impactodeportivo.com.do (http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=2281&format=html)
Related: John Danks (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1323), Gavin Floyd (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3836)

Thank you - Impacto Deportivo

Not sure what I think about this...as long as the salary is low enough, it's a good idea.

JermaineDye05
02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
they reported the Dotel deal before it was finalized. However I won't believe it until I see it on whitesox.com, much like the Dotel deal. If true I like the risk, reminds me of the El Duque signing in 2005.

JermaineDye05
02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
per Rotoworld

Related: John Danks (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1323), Gavin Floyd (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_relatednews.aspx?sport=MLB&id=3836)

Thank you - Impacto Deportivo

Not sure what I think about this...as long as the salary is low enough, it's a good idea.

I think this is still a WTS, considering it is not official.

hi im skot
02-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see this on the official site before I believe it.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97805

Still nothing official, but as I mentioned, I like the deal if it goes through.

KRS1
02-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I wonder how his shoulder would hold up as a long reliever?

oeo
02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see this on the official site before I believe it.

Hey, these guys got the Dotel signing right a few days before everyone else...

ksimpson14
02-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Very interesting!

fed ex 4 pasqua
02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Good gamble.

btrain929
02-19-2008, 11:38 PM

We up our package to Crede, Anderson, and Floyd, and they up their package and give us Lincecum......duh.

Optipessimism
02-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Good move since it probably cost nothing. I'd also like to see the Sox bring in another guy like Josh Fogg or Byung Hyun Kim on a minor league deal if possible in order to deepen the competition for the LR spot. Right now the competition for the LR spot should look something like (in order of likelihood IMO):

Masset, Broadway, Egbert, Russell, Haeger, Sisco.

Obviously there are other pitchers who won't go unnoticed (Wassermann especially, plus Oneli Perez, Carlos Vasquez, etc.) but none of those guys fit. The only guys in our current pen capable of working LR are Linebrink and Jenks, and obviously that's not happening. Adding another veteran to the mix could help.

bruno1445
02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
mlbtraderumors.com is reporting that spanish language website impacto departivo believes the Sox have reached a deal with Colon. No details. There is a link to the translated website, which is a pretty funny.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-20-2008, 12:47 AM
I would say a pitcher, all the position players seem like they belong there. Unless we go and trade Crede, but that would make no sense to me right now, since he hasn't proved anything.

whitesoxSS05
02-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I hope this is a minor league deal, there didn't seem to be much interest in him. If it creates a little more competition, it seems to me a no-lose signing.

BeeBeeRichard
02-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Yup, the official site is quoting the Impacto report now. If it's the minor-league, incentive-based deal that was offered before, it's a good deal. At this point, big Bart probably doesn't have too many other options -- especially when you consider a rotation spot is there for the taking on a team that otherwise is a playoff contender on paper. Now he'll have to fight Haeger for #40.

Nellie_Fox
02-20-2008, 01:22 AM
mlbtraderumors.com is reporting that spanish language website impacto departivo believes the Sox have reached a deal with Colon. No details. There is a link to the translated website, which is a pretty funny.This belongs in What's the Score, because it's a rumor, and because there was already a thread on it there.

Merged.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2008, 06:04 AM
:shocked:

Jurr
02-20-2008, 06:15 AM
If he shows up this year and stays healthy, we could have a NASTY rotation. wah wah wee wah.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 06:37 AM
If what Ozzie said was true, and Colon is in shape and looking good; I'd say that boosts our chances.

BOOYAH!!!

BadBobbyJenks
02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Im on board.

Although if he makes the 25 man roster out of spring that means Masset is gone right?

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Discussion continues here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1800488#post1800488).

Scottiehaswheels
02-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Im on board.

Although if he makes the 25 man roster out of spring that means Masset is gone right?I'm guessing they will put MacDougal in AAA to start the season and see how Masset does to start the season most likely. If he sucks, he gone.

spiffie
02-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Let's see what he's got. If, IF he has something in the tank and if Jose can turn it around and show his issues last year were all mental ones, then suddenly you have a team that just might be a contender.

KyWhiSoxFan
02-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Im on board.

Although if he makes the 25 man roster out of spring that means Masset is gone right?

I think this increases the likelihood that Williams will trade a pitcher in a package with Crede to open up a spot on the roster. It may be prospects, but hopefully very good ones that can go to AA or AAA for a year.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Let's see what he's got. If, IF he has something in the tank and if Jose can turn it around and show his issues last year were all mental ones, then suddenly you have a team that just might be a contender.

Hence my comments of if Ozzie is right and if Colon is healthy.

I still think adding him to the roster will be nothing but a good thing.

Jjav829
02-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Worthwile gamble. In 3 of the past 4 seasons he has had a 5+ ERA, but with one Cy Young season mixed in. Soon to be 35 years old, the upside here isn't an ace quality pitcher; those years are gone. But if healthy, he's potentially an upgrade from Floyd.

sox1970
02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I feel sorry for the guy they have to dump off the 40-man if this is a major league contract.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 07:19 AM
I feel sorry for the guy they have to dump off the 40-man if this is a major league contract.

I don't. It's baseball.

sox1970
02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't. It's baseball.

I don't either. Just making the point they shouldn't give Colon guaranteed money unless he was getting major league offers from other teams.

soxfanatlanta
02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
I like the move. If he stays healthy, and lays off the churros - he could be a big plus.

SoxNation05
02-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Without Colon do they have 39 or 40 on the roster?

sox1970
02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Without Colon do they have 39 or 40 on the roster?

Lukin13
02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Great move!

IF Ozzie/KW has the balls to DL him right away.... if he doesn't have it.

SoxNation05
02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Thank You.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't either. Just making the point they shouldn't give Colon guaranteed money unless he was getting major league offers from other teams.

There are always a few teams interested in starting pitching, no matter the risk. The Sox might be only one of three teams interested; but I'm sure there are others out there who were interested in Colon.

gr8mexico
02-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Colon is not an Ace anymore but if healthy he will be a good at the bottom of the rotation. Good move.:smile:

The Milkman
02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Worst case scenario is he comes in and lights a fire under Floyd and Danks. This move shows them, they need to work their butts off this spring and into the season or else they could quickly be out of a rotation spot.

Best case is Colon does okay in the rotation.

Win/Win for us.

santo=dorf
02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
It's still not official. The main site is just quoting the Impacto report, which someone already mentioned in the WTS thread.

Yup, the official site is quoting the Impacto report now. If it's the minor-league, incentive-based deal that was offered before, it's a good deal. At this point, big Bart probably doesn't have too many other options -- especially when you consider a rotation spot is there for the taking on a team that otherwise is a playoff contender on paper. Now he'll have to fight Haeger for #40.

No updates from the snore or ESPN 1000 yet?

Gavin
02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
So everyone is still citing the same Impact Deportivo report? That's pretty sloppy...

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 08:09 AM
So everyone is still citing the same Impact Deportivo report? That's pretty sloppy...

Well, at least it's the Sox home site that's reporting that report now. Even though the Sox don't run that site, it would be a pretty bad mistake to let it go up there if it weren't true.

Guess we'll find out soon if KW's head explodes in the next few hours...

Edit: Oh and if true, well done, KW.

santo=dorf
02-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Well, at least it's the Sox home site that's reporting that report now. Even though the Sox don't run that site, it would be a pretty bad mistake to let it go up there if it weren't true.

They're not saying it's official. They are speculating as well.

When an official move is made there will be an image of the guy with the main story.

That speculation article was posted at 12:38 AM, so if it was official other news outlets would've been announcing it.

From the web page:
White Sox reportedly lure Colon
Right-hander said to be coming back to Chicago
The White Sox might have finally tracked down Bartolo Colon.

According to a report from Impacto Deportivo, the White Sox have reached a preliminary agreement with the burly right-hander on a one-year deal, pending a physical. No comment came from the team as of late Tuesday night, although there has been previous expressed interest on the White Sox part.

There's the same source, and some speculation by the house organ, Scott Merkin.
This deal figures to be of the Minor League variety, with the White Sox 40-man roster currently sitting at 40.
It's no mistake, it's just speclation.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 08:14 AM

"Quite frankly, I don't know where you get your information from."
:KW
"And quite frankly, its beginning to piss me off."

Law11
02-20-2008, 08:19 AM
The clubhouse manager better stock up on the food. We've got some eaters on this team..

balke
02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't see how you can come out with a great report on Gavin Floyd, then turn around and sign a starting pitcher. Don't get me wrong, I'd feel more comfortable with Colon and having either Floyd or Danks back him up, but this seems funny. It could make sense if JC or Floyd were on the way out with Crede though.

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 08:22 AM
They're not saying it's official. They are speculating as well.

When an official move is made there will be an image of the guy with the main story.

That speculation article was posted at 12:38 AM, so if it was official other news outlets would've been announcing it.

From the web page:

There's the same source, and some speculation by the house organ, Scott Merkin.

It's no mistake, it's just speclation.

Yeah, I would just hope Scott would run it by someone before posting it.

beasly213
02-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Kenny said a few years ago how his biggest regret was letting Colon go. As we all know when Kenny is high on somebody he does his damndest to go get him.

Woo I called it!
But I just hope that this isn't a situation where we count on Bartolo to make 30 starts and be our number 2 or 3 pitcher.

I like this move if it turns out to be true. You can never have too much pitching. Now if we can only get a second baseman....

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 08:44 AM
I love this move.

02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Low risk, high reward, worth the gamble

soxfan13
02-20-2008, 09:00 AM
I love this move.

I would love this move if there werent so many question marks surrounding him. I do want it to turn out good but I wont be holding my breathe on this one. If he does sign I hope Colon does prove me wrong cuz that means he is winning and hopefully the Sox are winning.:gulp:

02-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Woo I called it!
But I just hope that this isn't a situation where we count on Bartolo to make 30 starts and be our number 2 or 3 pitcher.

I like this move if it turns out to be true. You can never have too much pitching. Now if we can only get a second baseman....

We have one, his name is Richar...

soxfan21
02-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I think that this is a good move, hopefully Colon comes to camp in shape.

Cuck the Fubs
02-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Exactly..........bust or boon this is an excellent move:smile:

ILuvThatDuck
02-20-2008, 09:10 AM

He will be in shape.......round IS a shape. :D:

palehozenychicty
02-20-2008, 09:11 AM

Exactly. This dude is big. He will stay big. If he competes and throws well, cool. I think the youngsters will benefit from the challenge.

PopsBrechtel
02-20-2008, 09:23 AM

I agree totally. Let the competition begin!

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 09:23 AM

Keep telling yourself that.

cws05champ
02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I've decided to get into shape....and the shape I've chosen is a triangle. :smile:

munchman33
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm starting to like our chances a little better.

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Nice. Can't hurt. Our rotation just got a bit stronger. :bandance:

Rocky Soprano
02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I like this move!

The Milkman
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Wow...that's saying something right there.

It's Time
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
What about us?

:sandy

:ralomar:

:everett:

cws05champ
02-20-2008, 09:49 AM

Uhhhhhh....I must have read that wrong.
:thud:

Jollyroger2
02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Uhhhhhh....I must have read that wrong.
:thud:

I agree....I mean it's low risk I guess...but the guy had a 6+ ERA last year and everyone shelled him, BA against was well over .300.

It's Time
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
It's a nothing move. He will most likely do nothing to help but it costs nothing at all.

Nothing to see here :D:

doublem23
02-20-2008, 09:55 AM

So you're prepared to bump your preseason prediction down to only 120 losses? :tongue:

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I like this move, he's got nowhere to go but up!! Right??

Hopefully he stays healthy and puts together a year like he did for us in '03...now if only we could get a solid leadoff guy...

kittle42
02-20-2008, 10:01 AM

*This* makes you feel better? The signing of a past-his-prime, constantly overweight, longshot to make the team, no-one-else-really-wanted-him pitcher?

Hey, I like the move, too, but only for what it is - very low cost and no risk.

It's Time
02-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Over the past two years, Colon has posted a 7-13 record in 28 starts with a 5.90 ERA. He is battling back from shoulder problems and turns 35 on May 24. He made two starts in the Dominican Winter League.

As soon as the 1st bunt goes down that he has to field, season over. :tongue:

As I said, no risk here and I expect nothing from him. I'd be stunned if he even made the team.

TomBradley72
02-20-2008, 10:06 AM
We have one, his name is Richar...

Yeah...with his .230 average last year. It sure would be nice to have a proven second baseman...since we're going for it this year and not rebuilding.

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah...with his .230 average last year. It sure would be nice to have a proven second baseman...since we're going for it this year and not rebuilding.

He's gonna bat 9th and Uribe is still on the bench as an option as is Pablo if Richar falters.

It will be good to give the kid a chance, especially with the number of XBH he got last year because it will free up even more money in years to come.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Me too, because at least there is hope of Colon having a good season. I don't like the middle to bottom of the Sox rotation. For better or worse (probably for worse) Colon is going to be the third best starter on this team.

With or without Colon, the Sox have more question marks in their rotation than Matthew Lesco has on his suit.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/images%5Cyouveseenhim2b.jpg

It's Time
02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
:jon
"I look good, eh"?

TomBradley72
02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Best part of this move is Colon now put some pressure on Floyd and Danks...so their slots in the rotation are not just handed to them.

I put this in the same category as the Ramirez signing...30 teams had a chance...market value was established (very low)...low risk/high reward...but nothing to get really excited about.

KRS1
02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Like I said in the WTS thread, I wonder how his shoulder would hold up in the long-relief role. I would rather see Gavin get the fifth starters role to open the season to see if he can really build on his end to last year.

hi im skot
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Danny Richar knows where you live...

julio-cruz
02-20-2008, 10:25 AM
looks like Ozzie is shooting this rumor down: blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/dotel-report-sh.html

Chicken Dinner
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
looks like Ozzie is shooting this rumor down: blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/dotel-report-sh.html

Yep, doesn't appear to be true.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/dotel-report-sh.html

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

Frontman
02-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Uh huh. I don't trust:

A: bloggers

B: The Tribune

I'll wait and see before I say this isn't happening.

Either way, I'm just glad to see the Sox making moves and taking chances. If Colon isn't coming, that's fine too.

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Damn.

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Uh huh. I don't trust:

A: bloggers

B: The Tribune

I'll wait and see before I say this isn't happening.

Either way, I'm just glad to see the Sox making moves and taking chances. If Colon isn't coming, that's fine too.

It's Mark Gonzalez's blog, not some punk off the street.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 10:37 AM
It's Mark Gonzalez's blog, not some punk off the street.

Still qualifies as "B" though in my "don't trust the source."

chisox77
02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Colon may pitch decent, which makes this an excellent move. As pointed out before, he will at least add competition and another option to push the younger starters.

:cool:

palehosepub
02-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I dont think this is an official source yet but there are reports that the Sox have reached a preliminary agreement with Bartolo Colon. See link below. Hopefully we will see somthing more official and hopefully Bartolo has some life left in his arm.

Mods please move this thread if this is not appropriate here.

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?...81&format=html (http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=2281&format=html)

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
:rolling:

palehosepub
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Now on White Sox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080220&content_id=2380803&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Over By There
02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't see the Ozzie denial. The link from the front page of the Trib to the story is also broken. :dunno:

EDIT: Also, if you look at the URL to the original blog post, it has "dotel-report" in the text. Somethings screwed up with the Trib report.

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't see the Ozzie denial. The link from the front page of the Trib to the story is also broken. :dunno:

Okay, it's been pulled. Now I have no idea what to do. I'm gonna leave this here until ESPN or someone else confirms this story.

doublem23
02-20-2008, 11:15 AM
It's 2008 and we can't get a definitive answer? Doesn't anyone close to this story own a ****ing cell phone?

:o:

Sockinchisox
02-20-2008, 11:15 AM
The denial is up at the Sun-Times now.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/02/not_happening_1.html

dickallen15
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The denial is up at the Sun-Times now.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/02/not_happening_1.html
Isn't it ironic the glee Cowley gets writing about sources being not so accurate after you look at his track record?

balke
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Dotel's signing was false also, then he was signed a week later. Buehrle had not reached an agreement of any kind with the White Sox. Then he was signed a week or two later.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Colon doesn't seem to have many options and spring training has started already. If he isn't close to signing with the Sox I doubt it is because he is not interested.

russ99
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
OOPS!

I don't see why Kenny would sign him now. Maybe if there's an injury or the kids don't look so great later in the spring, he could do that.

Makes no sense to bring in fat old injured Bartolo when we've got a lot of younger healthier options already in camp that don't cost a million or so and want a multi-year deal.

If Kenny wants to sign him for minor league depth, I guess so, but this would be the worst timing for the kids trying to earn starting spots, and in a sense Kenny would be sending a message that they're not good enough.

The Immigrant
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Dotel's signing was false also, then he was signed a week later.

That's the way I look at this report.

SoxyStu
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
OOPS!

I don't see why Kenny would sign him now. Maybe if there's an injury or the kids don't look so great later in the spring, he could do that.

Makes no sense to bring in fat old injured Bartolo when we've got a lot of younger healthier options already in camp that don't cost a million or so and want a multi-year deal.

If Kenny wants to sign him for minor league depth, I guess so, but this would be the worst timing for the kids trying to earn starting spots, and in a sense Kenny would be sending a message that they're not good enough.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with you a bit. I think being proactive is far better than being reactive. If Williams were to wait until something is wrong with one of the kids, then Colon would have him by the balls, and Williams would have to succumb to Colon's demands. As it stands now, Williams is in a position of power.

sox1970
02-20-2008, 11:48 AM
They could be denying it to buy some time to make another move. If this is a major league contract, room will need to be made to add Colon. I still think it's legit.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm not sure what the hell to think. Is the deal going through or no??

champagne030
02-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Haven't you heard? It's a non-issue to come to camp fat. :rolleyes:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97809

spawn
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM

I think there's a difference between coming to camp looking heavy and coming to camp "fat". :rolleyes:

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
I think there's a difference between coming to camp looking heavy and coming to camp "fat". :rolleyes:

Not only that, shouldn't we have more than one guy's opinion from seeing Swish on TV last night during the sports segment?

Love the cloudy folks and how they seize on every little thing to stomp the life out of things.

jenn2080
02-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Gaining a few pounds and being "fat" are 2 different things. Swisher is not fat at all.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Gaining a few pounds and being "fat" are 2 different things. Swisher is not fat at all.

I always thought Swisher was built like Thome anyways. Big "fireplug" type body.

Guess he's "fat" then in some people's eyes.

Lip Man 1
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Story now up on White Sox.com with quotes. It's a 'low risk/high reward' type move. What's to lose here? Ozzie himself said Danks and Floyd were not locks for the jobs, this is a fall back option.

Personally if it were me I'd make a one year incentive based deal to guys like Weaver or Lohse as well. Competition is a good thing.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080220&content_id=2380803&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I always thought Swisher was built like Thome anyways. Big "fireplug" type body.

Guess he's "fat" then in some people's eyes.
Well, I'm not too sure I want a Thome look a like patroling CF, but I think he'll be just fine.

palehozenychicty
02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Story now up on White Sox.com with quotes. It's a 'low risk/high reward' type move. What's to lose here? Ozzie himself said Danks and Floyd were not locks for the jobs, this is a fall back option.

Personally if it were me I'd make a one year incentive based deal to guys like Weaver or Lohse as well. Competition is a good thing.

Lip

Colon is already stretching it, with his injury history. Weaver and Lohse? Nein. That is the reality of MLB today, as you better get your own pitching and hold it tight.

balke
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
To me it seems like they won't confirm this until Colon passes his physical and everything. If Colon doesn't pass his physical, and the deal falls through it may hurt his chances of signing elsewhere deeper into the season.

Lip Man 1
02-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Pale:

Not automatically disagreeing with you... just that the Sox haven't been very successful at developing it in the last ten years or so.

Right now, as the 2008 season starts, with the Sox continuing to say they will contend this season, you may need some "insurance."

Lip

champagne030
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM

I suppose fat is a bit harsh since I haven't seen him. My point is that it is an issue if a player comes to camp 10 pounds over his playing weight. The days of coming to camp to get into shape/drop weight have been over for years.

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Interesting quote from KW on the matter...

"Even though, believe me, there are times, and this is one of them, where I really want to say what I feel," Williams added.

In Williams' mind, the best way to combat the proliferation of unsubstantiated rumors is through a standard, "No comment."
"I told you guys, all the rumors and all the things that kind of surface, they start to take up a large, large portion of my day," said Williams, speaking minutes before the team's Spring Training workout began on Wednesday. "With all of the things that come out of the Internet, out of talk radio, out of blogs, all of that stuff, and I'm just not going to continue to make a habit of confirming or denying anything.

EndemicSox
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Nothing but up-side, if he re-gains his 2006 Cy Young form, big win...hopefully he has been taking his B12...

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Nothing but up-side, if he re-gains his 2006 Cy Young form, big win...hopefully he has been taking his B12...
he won the Cy Young in '05.

turners56
02-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, if it does get done, at least there is someone to back up the failure of Danks, Floyd, or Contreras. Problem is, Colon's health is just as bad as the other three's problems.

thomas35forever
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, if it does get done, at least there is someone to back up the failure of Danks, Floyd, or Contreras. Problem is, Colon's health is just as bad as the other three's problems.
If this deal gets done, I say there's a 75-80% chance Colon makes the 25-man roster. Floyd most likely will be moved to long relief.

A one year, incentive-laden deal is probably the best way to go considering his health history.

turners56
02-20-2008, 04:56 PM
If this deal gets done, I say there's a 75-80% chance Colon makes the 25-man roster. Floyd most likely will be moved to long relief.

A one year, incentive-laden deal is probably the best way to go considering his health history.

That's the only way to go, Kenny isn't an idiot...Colon must of asked for something along those lines even for a contract rumor to pop up.

SouthSideSid
02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Is there anything to be excited about should the Sox bring Bartolo Colon in? I wonder how much he would have left in the tank.

MDF3530
02-20-2008, 05:18 PM
No.

/enddiscussion.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
It can never hurt to add a veteran arm...unless that veteran arm gets thrown on to the mound and pitches like he did last year...then I guess that would be an instance in which it hurts.

turners56
02-20-2008, 05:44 PM
No.

/enddiscussion.

Yea really, he's basically insurance...if he makes the club that is.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
It can't hurt though, this move can only make us better, I personally don't think it will, but at least it can't make us worse...that I can think of.

turners56
02-20-2008, 06:04 PM
It can't hurt though, this move can only make us better, I personally don't think it will, but at least it can't make us worse...that I can think of.

Well, if the contract is really cheap (which it probably will be), it won't. But if Kenny goes crazy and gives him 8 million or more for a single year...uh yea. But there's a 99% chance that it won't happen. So yeah, it can't hurt. Low risk (money-wise), high reward deals work out well in the MLB at times.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Well, if the contract is really cheap (which it probably will be), it won't. But if Kenny goes crazy and gives him 8 million or more for a single year...uh yea. But there's a 99% chance that it won't happen. So yeah, it can't hurt. Low risk (money-wise), high reward deals work out well in the MLB at times.

Agreed, and if Kenny does give him 8 mil, then I'm gonna show up at spring training, take a couple swings, and see if I can milk a couple hundred dollars out of him:cool:

Brian26
02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Is there anything to be excited about should the Sox bring Bartolo Colon in? I wonder how much he would have left in the tank.

I'm excited about the move because we're bringing in a guy who knows how to pitch in pressure situations and hoping he might do well as the 5th starter. That's a great situation, similar to the El Duque role in 2005.

I'd be more cynical if he was being brought in to be the 3rd or 4th starter (ie Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis 2007 on the north side).

mjmcend
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM

Unless you are one of the owners of the Sox, who cares how much the deal is worth as long it is a one-year deal? It is not like we are going to spend the money on some other as-of-yet-unsigned world beater.

turners56
02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Unless you are one of the owners of the Sox, who cares how much the deal is worth as long it is a one-year deal? It is not like we are going to spend the money on some other as-of-yet-unsigned world beater.

It restricts the team's payroll, meaning they'll spend less on others, meaning we as fans suffer from a team that's not as good, meaning we as fans are disappointed and pissed off at our team. What players the team signs has a lot to do with fans.

mjmcend
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
It restricts the team's payroll, meaning they'll spend less on others, meaning we as fans suffer from a team that's not as good, meaning we as fans are disappointed and pissed off at our team. What players the team signs has a lot to do with fans.

Who else are they going to sign this year if not Colon? Bonds? Sosa? Clemens?

As long as it is a one year deal, the amount of money spent at this point is meaningless.

turners56
02-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Who else are they going to sign this year if not Colon? Bonds? Sosa? Clemens?

As long as it is a one year deal, the amount of money spent at this point is meaningless.

There's still free agents out there and who knows...there might be some trades midseason that might require some financial space...but oh no, we spent it on Bartolo and can't make the deal. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but giving 8 million or more to a guy who hasn't pitched well in 3 years is GM suicide.

oeo
02-20-2008, 07:35 PM
There's still free agents out there and who knows...there might be some trades midseason that might require some financial space...but oh no, we spent it on Bartolo and can't make the deal. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but giving 8 million or more to a guy who hasn't pitched well in 3 years is GM suicide.

$8 million? Where did you pull that number from?

The money will be very low if this deal ever goes through.

SoxyStu
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
they reported the Dotel deal before it was finalized. However I won't believe it until I see it on whitesox.com, much like the Dotel deal. If true I like the risk, reminds me of the El Duque signing in 2005.

You're right on the money regarding the source. If this goes through, it would be interesting to find out just how they're getting the scoop so early. Or maybe it's really not, but since I'm not a journalist I'm curious :D

If he's signed to a MLB deal, does that assure one of the kids will have to go?

Could this be a setup to quell a leak?

mjmcend
02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

Please name me the free agent that you want to sign.

I doubt whatever we pay Colon would prevent us from making a mid season trade if we are in the hunt come July.

soxinem1
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
A lot of teams like us who could use him seem to be shying away, most lilkely because:

1. They are not impressed with what he shows them and/or
2. He thinks he's getting two years with a guaranteed $10-15 million.

So if Bart wants a year at $1 million with a ton of incentives for starts and IP, sure.

And hey, if he has a year (or 70% of it) for us in 2008 like he did in 2003, it will be well worth it, then NYY can take him off our hands with a 5 year /$100 million deal that will result in him blowing his shoulder out half way through the 2009 season, and we'll have struck gold again! :rolleyes:

rowand33
02-20-2008, 08:51 PM
A lot of teams like us who could use him seem to be shying away, most lilkely because:

1. They are not impressed with what he shows them and/or
2. He thinks he's getting two years with a guaranteed $10-15 million.

So if Bart wants a year at $1 million with a ton of incentives for starts and IP, sure.

And hey, if he has a year (or 70% of it) for us in 2008 like he did in 2003, it will be well worth it, then NYY can take him off our hands with a 5 year /$100 million deal that will result in him blowing his shoulder out half way through the 2009 season, and we'll have struck gold again! :rolleyes:

I don't think Colon has another 2003 left in him.

He pitched 242 inning and had 9 CGs that year. If he does that as our 5th starter on a $1 million contract, it'll be the signing on the decade.

spiffie
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM

He pitched 242 inning and had 9 CGs that year. If he does that as our 5th starter on a $1 million contract, it'll be the signing on the decade.
I don't know. Bringing in Esteban Loaiza as a NRI signing for spring training in 2003 was pretty damn good.

rowand33
02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't know. Bringing in Esteban Loaiza as a NRI signing for spring training in 2003 was pretty damn good.

touche.

God bless Esteban Loaiza.

Between 2003 and 2004 he won 30 games for the white sox and brought us Jose Contreras.

Couldn't have won the World Series without him.

JermaineDye05
02-20-2008, 10:10 PM
FWIW Sportsnite just did a story on this and Chuck Garfien said that "according to a white sox source close to the situation, it's not likely they will sign Colon but it is possible."

Garland_IS_God
02-20-2008, 10:26 PM
This reminds me of the Dotel signing. Some newspaper reported the Sox had signed Dotel, than the next day KW said it wasn't true. Im sure the deal is near completion; most likely pending a physical. If he makes less than 5 million for the year, I got no problem with the signing. Maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle this year, just like with Loaiza.

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I didn't want to read all 11 pages of previous posts.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
FWIW Sportsnite just did a story on this and Chuck Garfien said that "according to a white sox source close to the situation, it's not likely they will sign Colon but it is possible."
"It's not likely, but it's possible." Wow. Great job of reporting there Chuck!

voodoochile
02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
"It's not likely, but it's possible." Wow. Great job of reporting there Chuck!

Some say yes...

Some say no...

DSpivack
02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Some say yes, some say no. I don't know why we ever said goodbye to Bartolo, but let's say hello.

diehardRLsoxfan
02-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Some say yes, some say no. I don't know why we ever said goodbye to Bartolo, but let's say hello.

....and hope that he doesn't blow.

Frontman
02-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by DSpivack http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1801351#post1801351)

....and hope that he doesn't blow.

Hela heba helloa CHA CHA, hela...

soxinem1
02-21-2008, 09:33 AM

I did say 70% Of Bart's 2003 would suffice....

Taliesinrk
02-21-2008, 01:30 PM

With all this talk, would it be so far-out to go with a rotation in the 4 & 5 spots? I mean, people were concerned because danks broke down last season, and the concern is that colon may not have a full tank of gas. Would it be too far out to rotate colon, danks, and floyd through the 4 and 5 spots to keep them all fresh?

turners56
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
$8 million? Where did you pull that number from?

The money will be very low if this deal ever goes through.

That was originally rumored that he wanted 2 years and around 14-15 million from the Mets.

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
That was originally rumored that he wanted 2 years and around 14-15 million from the Mets.
Well, I don't there's a team around that would pay him that...and I think if this signing of Ohka is true, we're done with Colon.

rowand33
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
A friend just texted me "True about Bartolo"

Has anybody heard anything on Chicago radio? I see no verifications of this anywhere, and don't know what he cuold be talking about.

voodoochile
02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
A friend just texted me "True about Bartolo"

Has anybody heard anything on Chicago radio? I see no verifications of this anywhere, and don't know what he cuold be talking about.

You at the airport?

It's true... Colon is fat...

turners56
02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
You at the airport?

It's true... Colon is fat...

Very fat...he gained so much weight from the pictures I've seen of him in the Dominican Republic. If you put Boomer and Bartolo next to each other with their faces blurred out...I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Goose
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Very fat...he gained so much weight from the pictures I've seen of him in the Dominican Republic. If you put Boomer and Bartolo next to each other with their faces blurred out...I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Comon would be the one with the 'fro.

turners56
02-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Comon would be the one with the 'fro.

Fine, their faces and hair would be blurred out...

rowand33
02-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd just like to hear Hawk say "c'mon Bartolo" one more time..

turners56
02-22-2008, 07:58 PM

That would be after Colon throws an 88 mile per hour fastball for the first pitch of the game and it's a lead-off homer to put the opposing team up 1-0...

SoxNation05
02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
That would be after Colon throws an 88 mile per hour fastball for the first pitch of the game and it's a lead-off homer to put the opposing team up 1-0...

:hawk
"The Sox have have been struggling all year I really, really think the Sox gotta turn it around today. Meanwhile it's 1-0 Tigers."

gr8mexico
02-22-2008, 11:50 PM
No that's just Hawk cheering for him at the Nathan's Annual Hotdog eating contest against Kobayashi. Colon ends up winning the whole thing by eating Kobayashi too:tongue:

WhiteSox5187
02-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Just to steer us slightly back on topic, I assume the Ohka signing means that the whole deal with Colon is dead in the water, right?

gr8mexico
02-23-2008, 08:24 AM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=es%7Cen&u=http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/%3Fop%3Ddisplaystory%26story_id%3D2317%26format%3D html
Well the translation is awful on the link above. but in the original site in Spanish it says that while the White Sox are sleeping the Red Sox have called for Colon and that there offer might be better then ours.

voodoochile
02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Just to steer us slightly back on topic, I assume the Ohka signing means that the whole deal with Colon is dead in the water, right?

Well, I think it sends two messages:

First, it tells other teams we are willing to try other avenues of finding pitching so don't expect us to fall over and give Crede plus the store away to land some mediocre guy. Why would the Sox want another sack of crap, they just signed one?

Second, it tells Colon, that the Sox are willing to move on without him and he can come to the table and negotiate in good faith or not. It's his choice, but we're not going to wait around for him to make up his mind.

Both are good messages to send.

dickallen15
02-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Well, I think it sends two messages:

First, it tells other teams we are willing to try other avenues of finding pitching so don't expect us to fall over and give Crede plus the store away to land some mediocre guy. Why would the Sox want another sack of crap, they just signed one?

Second, it tells Colon, that the Sox are willing to move on without him and he can come to the table and negotiate in good faith or not. It's his choice, but we're not going to wait around for him to make up his mind.

Both are good messages to send.
I don't think this was a message sent at all. Ohka was with 3 organizations last year. He was brutal in the majors, was 0-5 with a 9.00 ERA at 2 AAA locations. He's a guy Kenny was interested in back in 2001. He's AAA fodder. Maybe a miracle happens and he can contribute on the major league level, but I don't think anyone in the White Sox organization is counting on it.

voodoochile
02-23-2008, 09:30 AM
I don't think this was a message sent at all. Ohka was with 3 organizations last year. He was brutal in the majors, was 0-5 with a 9.00 ERA at 2 AAA locations. He's a guy Kenny was interested in back in 2001. He's AAA fodder. Maybe a miracle happens and he can contribute on the major league level, but I don't think anyone in the White Sox organization is counting on it.

Well, whether the messages were the primary reason to sign him or not, they still got sent.

white sox bill
02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice reflection Voodo.....classic case of thinking outside of the box. I recall more than 10 yrs ago, a member in my gym was selling cocaine. He somewhat wisely kept his inventory in his locker, the police were onto it, so they came in closed down the gym for like 90 minutes early on a Sat AM and searched with the dog. Naturally it was assumed I was involved, I wasn't, but to prove this point further a short time later I remodeled gym and bought all new eqpuipment. Had a damn good yr that yr

KW knows the score

peeonwrigley
02-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Nice reflection Voodo.....classic case of thinking outside of the box. I recall more than 10 yrs ago, a member in my gym was selling cocaine. He somewhat wisely kept his inventory in his locker, the police were onto it, so they came in closed down the gym for like 90 minutes early on a Sat AM and searched with the dog. Naturally it was assumed I was involved, I wasn't, but to prove this point further a short time later I remodeled gym and bought all new eqpuipment. Had a damn good yr that yr

KW knows the score

:?:

spawn
02-23-2008, 10:03 AM

KW knows the score
And the moral of this story is...:dunno:

white sox bill
02-23-2008, 10:04 AM
:?:

What I was getting to was that sometimes you have to send a subtle message to whoever you are trying to reach. I did it to show the community that I wasn't going to prison nor was I in trouble. People in trouble with the law don't normally invest big $$ in a business. I think Voodo was right on the mark and KW knows what he was doing, he's not being held hostage in the Colon situation

white sox bill
02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Comprendo Amigos?:smile::D:

spawn
02-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Comprendo Amigos?:smile::D:
Not to get picky, but you just said "friends understand". I believe what you were trying for was entiendo amigos? :wink::D:

And yes, I get your point now. :smile:

white sox bill
02-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Not to get picky, but you just said "friends understand". I believe what you were trying for was entiendo amigos? :wink::D:

Thanks for the correction! Gracios!:smile:

spawn
02-23-2008, 10:37 AM
It's gracias. :tongue:

De nada! :thumbsup:

areilly
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM

You know, change the name and a couple stats and that's pretty close to the template for the KW modus operandi.

wsgdf
02-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Funny.. the message could have been interpreted as... Ha! Ya didn't catch me! Now I'm spending some cocaine earnings on remodeling the gym and I'm doing it right in your face!

champagne030
02-23-2008, 11:10 PM

I bet Danks and Floyd are ****ting their pants at this point..........

Soxfanspcu11
02-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Funny.. the message could have been interpreted as... Ha! Ya didn't catch me! Now I'm spending some cocaine earnings on remodeling the gym and I'm doing it right in your face!

That's the way that I read it as!

Kudos to the poster for trying to explain what he meant about his original "Cocaine" Post, but the clarification didn't exactly CLEAR it up for me! I mean, I am still :?: when it comes to it. I know he was trying to make a Compare/Contrast Argument but I don't think that this held together very well.

Sockinchisox
02-23-2008, 11:56 PM
A new report on Impacto has Colon going to Fort Myers tomorrow to meet with the "other" Sox and have a private workout for them.

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=2327&format=html

WhiteSox5187
02-24-2008, 03:58 AM
A new report on Impacto has Colon going to Fort Myers tomorrow to meet with the "other" Sox and have a private workout for them.

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=2327&format=html
I guess with Schilling going down they need another pitcher and have the pockets to sign him to some insane contract...I'd still like to see the White Sox get him, and I'd much rather have him that Ohka. But, oh well.

Over By There
02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Looks like Colon has a minor league deal with Boston.

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3262747)

thomas35forever
02-24-2008, 05:45 PM
All right. Close this thread now.

pdimas
02-25-2008, 12:58 AM

Actually you are both wrong :tongue:

Its comprenden amigos?

You could use entienden amigos?

But its two different versions of "understand" and in the way he was using it comprender was the right one.

entiendo amigos? = I understand friends? entiendo being singular.

Jus sayin.....

The Dude
02-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Well another big fish KW missed out on!:tongue:

turners56
02-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Lol wow, no guranteed money. I guess Colon really wants to be on a guranteed winning team. Even though he might not even make the team.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2008, 10:55 AM
:tomatoaward: :tomatoaward:

Foulke You
02-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I'd have been happy if we signed him but I'm not overwhelmingly disappointed that we didn't. He would have been a longshot to make a huge impact in '08 and I find it interesting that all Bartolo was able to get was a minor league deal. I think this speaks volumes on what the scouts thought of his arm these days.

I still would like 1 more veteran pitcher in the mix at Spring Training though. Jeff Weaver anyone?

Fenway
02-25-2008, 11:51 AM
It is now official as he signed a contract with Pawtucket

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080224&content_id=2388050&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos