PDA

View Full Version : I emailed my rep today about the StubHub arrangement

DumpJerry
02-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Here is the response I got:

We actually had a meeting about StubHub today. We are going to be mailing out our Season Ticket Holder Playbook in early March, which will include some details on how the new StubHub system will work. Also, in your package with your season tickets will be an insert explaining the deal in further detail. From what Iíve heard, it sounds like a very fan friendly system.

I thanked him for them having a meeting because I wrote to him.

chisoxmike
02-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Hmmmmm...

I'm skeptical. I like that they used the term "fan friendly" though.

The Dude
02-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Hmmmmm...

I'm skeptical. I like that they used the term "fan friendly" though.

Yeah fan friendly means you need to pay 15% service charge, you have to go to a fed-ex to get envelopes to mail the damn tickets, and you then will probably pay a paypal fee to get your cash unless you want to get a check 7-10 business days later.
:rolleyes:

I miss the ticket exchange and watching my ticket balance grow. :(:

soxfan21
02-20-2008, 05:02 AM
I think that I am going to miss ticket exchange as well. I know that there is going to be some arrangement involving the ticket exchange and stubhub, but I just have a feeling that this whole process is going to become much more confusing than it should be. Ohh well, just can't wait for that box to come in mid March :D:.

eastchicagosoxfan
02-20-2008, 05:54 AM
No more ticket exchange? I enjoyed that service. I found very reasonably priced tickets there.

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Yeah fan friendly means you need to pay 15% service charge, you have to go to a fed-ex to get envelopes to mail the damn tickets, and you then will probably pay a paypal fee to get your cash unless you want to get a check 7-10 business days later.

One of the things I asked my rep in my email is if we can still forward tickets via email.

I just want to get my Red Sox and Cub tickets on there so I can recoup 100% of my entire ST invoice.

WhiffleBall
02-20-2008, 07:51 AM
I prefer stubhub to the ticket exchange. Stubhub has a much wider audience than the ticket exchange. The arrangement between MLB and Stubhub should eliminate some of the stubhub annoyances (high shipping costs, having to ship via fedex). Stubhub also works better if you have parking passes. You can bundle it with your tickets and thus get a better price although if there is no shipping charge for e-mailed tickets then this could pose a problem when including the parking pass.

krohnjw
02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I prefer stubhub to the ticket exchange. Stubhub has a much wider audience than the ticket exchange. The arrangement between MLB and Stubhub should eliminate some of the stubhub annoyances (high shipping costs, having to ship via fedex). Stubhub also works better if you have parking passes. You can bundle it with your tickets and thus get a better price although if there is no shipping charge for e-mailed tickets then this could pose a problem when including the parking pass.

I purchased some tickets through stubhub and still only had Fedex options for shipping (with 2 day the *cheapest* at 11.95 - nothing like 2 day shipping for a June game!). That and the commission (10%) just costs fans more.....my guess is they aren't going to change a thing unless MLB makes them.

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 09:27 AM
The Ticket Exchange applied a 15% surcharge.

I posted many tickets on it. Made zero sales. Some were priced at the minimum price.

munchman33
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
No ticket exchange = me simply not using that service. Plenty of people sell their tickets on other mediums and they're already in that format. I like the convenience of buying second hand tickets day of game.

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Some of the guys I split my tickets with last year sold games on the ticket exchange and didn't get tickets this year. They didn't get their money back, they have a credit now. I guess they were promised Cubs tickets but there's no way they will get them now.

Taliesinrk
02-20-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree.. I think all of you ST holders should boycott this stubhub deal - it's this kind of thing that's wrong with America. Instead, all unused tickets should be put on WSI ticket exchange for facevalue (or even to stick it to MLB for their overcommercialization - underfacevalue!). Together we can make a difference!!

P.S. When you all agree that this is the best method to pursue, please PM me with the tickets that you'll be selling. And, you all can thank me later.

russ99
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM

So that's how those Yankees, Twins, Red Sox and Cubs fans got all those tickets the last few years...

IMO: Ticket Exchange at least gave Sox fans first crack at them and the prices were pretty reasonable. Stub Hub is raw capitalism at the expense of fans to make a buck and is no better than the Cubs scalping operation.

I understand most season ticket holders are in need of selling off a few, but there has to be a better way.

Tekijawa
02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
I just want to get my Red Sox and Cub tickets on there so I can recoup 100% of my entire ST invoice.

That's what I'm waiting for! With the Yankes and the Rockies this year I expect to be able to afford another seat next year!

spiffie
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
So that's how those Yankees, Twins, Red Sox and Cubs fans got all those tickets the last few years...

IMO: Ticket Exchange at least gave Sox fans first crack at them and the prices were pretty reasonable. Stub Hub is raw capitalism at the expense of fans to make a buck and is no better than the Cubs scalping operation.

I understand most season ticket holders are in need of selling off a few, but there has to be a better way.
How did Ticket Exchange give Sox fans first crack at them? Anyone could come on there just like stubhub. And the prices were only reasonable if the sellers chose to make them reasonable.

The better way is the WSI ticket exchange.

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 10:20 AM
That's what I'm waiting for! With the Yankes and the Rockies this year I expect to be able to afford another seat next year!
The Yankee series won't be an easy sell. First of all the timing sucks (mid week in April), Yankee fans don't travel like Red Sox fans do and I think this year Yankee fans will spend their money on tickets at Yankee Stadium for the final season.

I don't see the Rockies series being an easy sell. They are not the Red Sox. I, for one, would like to see them.

Red Sox and Cub fans will pay just about any price to see their team.

itsnotrequired
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Some of the guys I split my tickets with last year sold games on the ticket exchange and didn't get tickets this year. They didn't get their money back, they have a credit now. I guess they were promised Cubs tickets but there's no way they will get them now.

And this was one of the big drawbacks to the Ticket Exchange. You could only apply the balance to playoff or future season tickets. With StubHub, you get cash (assuming the agreement is the same).

NoNeckEra
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
No more ticket exchange? I enjoyed that service. I found very reasonably priced tickets there.
Both the ticket ex and Stubhub created approximately a 25% disparity between what the seller received and the buyer paid. It sounds like they will deal with the requirement to have tickets sent via FedEx and go with a "will call" arrangement for all tickets, thereby saving on shipping.

The only difference between the systems last year was that at least on Stubhub, you could charge BELOW face value, letting the market dictate the price of the tickets.

I'm guessing the Sox will be the managers of the exhange of actual tickets and Stubhub will handle the website and the money. I still see that 25% difference between what the seller gets and the payer pays.

DumpJerry
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Both the ticket ex and Stubhub created approximately a 25% disparity between what the seller received and the buyer paid. It sounds like they will deal with the requirement to have tickets sent via FedEx and go with a "will call" arrangement for all tickets, thereby saving on shipping.

The only difference between the systems last year was that at least on Stubhub, you could charge BELOW face value, letting the market dictate the price of the tickets.

I'm guessing the Sox will be the managers of the exhange of actual tickets and Stubhub will handle the website and the money. I still see that 25% difference between what the seller gets and the payer pays.
When tickets got listed on the Ticket Exchange, they added the White Sox' 15% cut to the price you selected (i.e. if you list for $100, it would show up as $115).

NoNeckEra
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
When tickets got listed on the Ticket Exchange, they added the White Sox' 15% cut to the price you selected (i.e. if you list for $100, it would show up as $115).
And the seller would receive $90 for the sale, creating a $25 difference in this case.

If the transaction were on StubHub, the listing would say $100, the buyer would pay $110, and the seller would receive $85, again a $25 spread.

Gammons Peter
02-20-2008, 12:15 PM
what's wrong with using ebay

dakuda
02-20-2008, 03:28 PM
what's wrong with using ebay

ebay and Paypal pretty much go hand in hand. I don't have a Paypal account anymore (security concerns from receiving Paypal credit cards with other people's names on them). So, it is a huge PITA for me to use ebay.

NoNeckEra
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
ebay and Paypal pretty much go hand in hand. I don't have a Paypal account anymore (security concerns from receiving Paypal credit cards with other people's names on them). So, it is a huge PITA for me to use ebay.
The percentage of bogus listings on ebay is way off the charts for sporting events. And it's between the parties to iron out any problems. Stubhub has a system whereby it makes it very painful for a poster of tickets for sale to reneg on a deal or list counterfeit tickets. Plus, 90% of Stubhub listings are "buy now", which in the case of a scheduled event, like a sporting event makes it nice to know where you stand as a buyer.
That's my take.

Steelrod
02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I use both, list my tickets for less on Sox Exchange, yet still sell more on stubhub. I guess it's just a matter of personal experience. We will all see as time goes by.

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I use both, list my tickets for less on Sox Exchange, yet still sell more on stubhub. I guess it's just a matter of personal experience. We will all see as time goes by.

Well now, you can only use StubHub. There is no more White Sox Ticket Exchange.

The Dude
02-20-2008, 05:12 PM
The Ticket Exchange applied a 15% surcharge.

I posted many tickets on it. Made zero sales. Some were priced at the minimum price.

If I recall, it was 10% and I sold over $2000 worth of tickets on there. You just need to sell the right games at the right time and at the right price to make your cash.

Jason82807
02-20-2008, 05:28 PM
If I recall, it was 10% and I sold over $2000 worth of tickets on there. You just need to sell the right games at the right time and at the right price to make your cash.

The ticket exchange takes the seller's listing price, say 50, then adds 15% to the selling price, so seller pays $57.50. They then pay seller 90% of the $50, or $45. So it's about 25% total commissions.

Last year I sold my Jim Beam Club tickets for a couple of the Tigers games for $1000/pair. And no parking pass.

chisoxfanatic
02-20-2008, 05:47 PM
I only used the Ticket Exchange once and sold it on the same day as the game, so I was thankful for that system. I'd hope the Sox would put something up on their site direction potential ticket buyers to the StubHub site, as I'm sure many people are so used to purchasing via the Ticket Exchange.

Jason82807
02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I only used the Ticket Exchange once and sold it on the same day as the game, so I was thankful for that system. I'd hope the Sox would put something up on their site direction potential ticket buyers to the StubHub site, as I'm sure many people are so used to purchasing via the Ticket Exchange.

They do mention stubhub on their site, in the same places the ticketexchange links used to be

Vernam
02-20-2008, 08:28 PM
And this was one of the big drawbacks to the Ticket Exchange. You could only apply the balance to playoff or future season tickets. With StubHub, you get cash (assuming the agreement is the same).I'm sure there's some ironclad legal language to justify it, but really, how could that stand up in a court of law? When the Stub Hub deal was announced, I emailed Sox sales head Tom Sheridan (the poor man's Brooks Boyer?!) and complained pretty strenuously about the clause that gives the team all proceeds of someone's Ticket Exchange sales if he or she decides not to renew season tickets. Didn't get much of a response, as you'd expect.

The balance-forward concept is pretty smart for the team; if I'd been on the fence about whether to renew for 2008, that $1,000 balance might've been all the incentive I needed. But that's also why I probably wouldn't use it this year anyway, because I want to have the option of not renewing in 2009 (or more precisely, sharing seats with someone else instead of buying all 86 games).

Vernam

Oblong
02-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Does Stub Hub have a pickup location near the US Cellular? There's one that used to run out of a hotel conference room about 1/4 mile from Comerica Park. I never used it but I know others who did. I wonder if the new deal with Stub Hub and MLB will let them use space at or near the stadiums. I imagine that'd only help to increase sales for last minute deals.

chisoxmike
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Does Stub Hub have a pickup location near the US Cellular? There's one that used to run out of a hotel conference room about 1/4 mile from Comerica Park. I never used it but I know others who did. I wonder if the new deal with Stub Hub and MLB will let them use space at or near the stadiums. I imagine that'd only help to increase sales for last minute deals.

There's one by Jimbos I think.

Steelrod
02-21-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sure there's some ironclad legal language to justify it, but really, how could that stand up in a court of law? When the Stub Hub deal was announced, I emailed Sox sales head Tom Sheridan (the poor man's Brooks Boyer?!) and complained pretty strenuously about the clause that gives the team all proceeds of someone's Ticket Exchange sales if he or she decides not to renew season tickets. Didn't get much of a response, as you'd expect.

The balance-forward concept is pretty smart for the team; if I'd been on the fence about whether to renew for 2008, that $1,000 balance might've been all the incentive I needed. But that's also why I probably wouldn't use it this year anyway, because I want to have the option of not renewing in 2009 (or more precisely, sharing seats with someone else instead of buying all 86 games).

Vernam
1. It's your choice whether or not to use the system.
2. Where did the other 5 games come from?

SoxandtheCityTee
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Perhaps incresing numbers of complaints (after the dreadful season of 2007)about the nonrefundability of Ticket Exchange credit balances are part of what drove the decison to change to Stub Hub. It put the sales staff in the position of angering nonrenewing season ticket holders -- ordinarily, this group is thought of as potential ST holders of the future and treated pretty well. Years after I stopped being a full ST holder in my own name I still received invitations to the ST party at the park etc.

The other choice (refund the cash instead of treating it as "store credit") is not a realistic option for the organization because they have booked the income and too much is driven by that. I'm not saying they couldn't, but they wouldn't, not on a permanent basis.

Dumping it on Stub Hub lets the Sox walk away from the problem, at least going forward. It'll be interesting to see what's done about the current group of nonrenewing ST holders who have Tix Exchange credit balances.

Jason82807
02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
2. Where did the other 5 games come from?

The Sox have been cheating me! They've only been sending me 81 games with my full-season plan:bandance:

spiffie
02-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Perhaps incresing numbers of complaints (after the dreadful season of 2007)about the nonrefundability of Ticket Exchange credit balances are part of what drove the decison to change to Stub Hub. It put the sales staff in the position of angering nonrenewing season ticket holders -- ordinarily, this group is thought of as potential ST holders of the future and treated pretty well. Years after I stopped being a full ST holder in my own name I still received invitations to the ST party at the park etc.

The other choice (refund the cash instead of treating it as "store credit") is not a realistic option for the organization because they have booked the income and too much is driven by that. I'm not saying they couldn't, but they wouldn't, not on a permanent basis.

Dumping it on Stub Hub lets the Sox walk away from the problem, at least going forward. It'll be interesting to see what's done about the current group of nonrenewing ST holders who have Tix Exchange credit balances.
My balance just plain disappeared. I can still log into the system with my account number, but I have no credit and no outstanding invoices anymore.

asg2003ws2005
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM

I talked to a stubhub rep at soxfest about this.

Yes, there IS a 15% fee, BUT, you set the price, even $1.
Tix sold through your online account manager do NOT need to be mailed through fedex. The tix will be emailed to the buyer.

Payment can be check, paypal, OR your sox account.

asg2003ws2005
02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Perhaps incresing numbers of complaints (after the dreadful season of 2007)about the nonrefundability of Ticket Exchange credit balances are part of what drove the decison to change to Stub Hub. .

WRONG!

MLB Advanced Media signed a deal with stubhub last year. They are getting PAID to transition ticket sales from ticketexchange/replay to stubhub.

ode to veeck
02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
One of the things I asked my rep in my email is if we can still forward tickets via email.

I've used email tickets for the A's for the last several years and its extremely convenient for buying and selling tickets, especially day before or day of the game.

asg2003ws2005
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.stubhub.com/sites/corpsite/?gsec=news&gact=press&article_id=5510

Vernam
02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
1. It's your choice whether or not to use the system.Oh, I thought I was subject to imprisonment.

2. Where did the other 5 games come from?October. Wishful thinking or bad math, take your pick. :wink:

Vernam

Jason82807
02-22-2008, 05:08 PM
There's one by Jimbos I think.

After the MLBAM/StubHub deal StubHub probably won't have to share that garage with Gold Coast Tickets. My guess is they'll have their own window at Gate 4.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-22-2008, 07:13 PM
WRONG!

Yeesh. No need to get excited. It was just a thought, prefaced by the word "perhaps." Thanks for the info about this being done at the MLB level . . . I guess.

asg2003ws2005
02-23-2008, 03:02 AM
After the MLBAM/StubHub deal StubHub probably won't have to share that garage with Gold Coast Tickets. My guess is they'll have their own window at Gate 4.

the last minute ticket centers will stay.