PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance...

Chilli Palmer
02-19-2008, 05:58 PM
That we see Thome sit against LHP more this season than in years past. His numbers were downright miserable against LHP last year, he posted a .196 BA and his OBP was .314 against LHP.

I know people will argue we pay him too much too have him play against only RHP, but the numbers do not lie and it would be a way for Thome to remain healthy throughout the season. It would also give Ozzie more flexibility with his lineups to get Fields and Crede in the same line-up, granted both are on the 25 man roster come 3/31.

sox1970
02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
That we see Thome sit against LHP more this season than in years past. His numbers were downright miserable against LHP last year, he posted a .196 BA and his OBP was .314 against LHP.

I know people will argue we pay him too much too have him play against only RHP, but the numbers do not lie and it would be a way for Thome to remain healthy throughout the season. It would also give Ozzie more flexibility with his lineups to get Fields and Crede in the same line-up, granted both are on the 25 man roster come 3/31.

Guess it hasn't set in for everyone that Crede is getting traded in the next 40 days.

It won't happen, but I'd sit Thome on opening day, and about 80% of the time against lefties. Quentin in RF. Dye DH against lefties.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
With Swisher in the line up we know have the option of putting him at first and Konerko at DH more often, but as you said, we're not going to see Thome only against RHP.

steely712
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
With Swisher in the line up we know have the option of putting him at first and Konerko at DH more often, but as you said, we're not going to see Thome only against RHP.
I agree, I think that we will see Owens or Quentin getting some time in center, and we also have Pablo to fill in for the other outfield spots. I don't know if Ozzie would rather DH Swisher or PK, and not mess with Swisher by putting him at first sometimes. But, I still like Thome's chances any time he steps to the plate.

spiffie
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I agree, I think that we will see Owens or Quentin getting some time in center, and we also have Pablo to fill in for the other outfield spots. I don't know if Ozzie would rather DH Swisher or PK, and not mess with Swisher by putting him at first sometimes. But, I still like Thome's chances any time he steps to the plate.
Considering last year Jim didn't bat .200 against LHP I think you might be the only one who likes his chances.

Chilli Palmer
02-19-2008, 06:53 PM

Like his chances to do what???

He was simply awful last year against LHP, I just hope that Ozzie is not too slow/stubborn in making adjustments to his line-up if/when they are needed this year.

kittle42
02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
and we also have Pablo to fill in for the other outfield spots.

Knowing Ozzie, he'll DH Ozuna, or keep Anderson on board just to DH him.

pjchisox13
02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Like his chances to do what???

He was simply awful last year against LHP, I just hope that Ozzie is not too slow/stubborn in making adjustments to his line-up if/when they are needed this year.

I think a lot of Ozzie's eagerness to go with something different will depend on how Owens and Quentin shows up this spring. If they make a good showing then I think Ozzie won't be afraid to pull the trigger on sitting Thome when needed.

It's Dankerific
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
we should be thinking about sitting Thome against lefties just so his option doesnt vest. thats alot of money for a DH, which we have plenty of.

ChiTownTrojan
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
It hasn't messed Swisher up before to switch around between positions, so my guess is he'll be in the field almost every day. Plus he's young, and supposedly a good athlete, so he should be fine. Ozzie's more like to DH some of the older guys (like Dye or PK) to give them a break from the field. My guess is we're going to see plenty of outfields with Swisher/Owens/Quentin this year with Dye DHing, vs. LHP.

The Immigrant
02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
we should be thinking about sitting Thome against lefties just so his option doesnt vest.

Jimbo would have to be injury-free next year to get 570 plate appearances. As much as I'd like to see it, I don't think it's realistic.