PDA

View Full Version : Memphis?

skottyj242
02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Did anybody that bought tickets for Memphis actually get them yet? I bought them in late November/early December and I have not gotten them. I have already gotten Sox tickets I ordered last Monday.

ChiSox Fan 68
02-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Did anybody that bought tickets for Memphis actually get them yet? I bought them in late November/early December and I have not gotten them. I have already gotten Sox tickets I ordered last Monday.

When I ordered our tickets from the Auto Zone box office, they said the tickets wouldn't be printed until March.

soxstarter
02-18-2008, 09:50 PM
DumpJer and I had a friend in Memphis purchase them for us. Do we have them in hand yet Dump?

DumpJerry
02-18-2008, 10:30 PM
DumpJer and I had a friend in Memphis purchase them for us. Do we have them in hand yet Dump?
Uhhhh...........eBay very very good to me........:o:

Over By There
02-19-2008, 10:23 AM
When I ordered our tickets from the Auto Zone box office, they said the tickets wouldn't be printed until March.

I ordered yesterday, the box office told me the same thing - should get them mid-March.

jenn2080
02-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Where is everyone staying?

soxfan13
02-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Where is everyone staying?

Memphis!!!!!:redneck

jenn2080
02-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Way to go smarty pants.

soxwon
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
comfort inn overlooking the river, 89 bucks a night

soxwon
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

actually its cheaper to stay in mississippi, right over the bridge.

DumpJerry
02-25-2008, 10:50 PM
actually its cheaper to stay in mississippi, right over the bridge.
That's called Arkansas. Mississippi is about 30 minutes or so south of downtown Memphis.

soxwon
02-26-2008, 08:43 AM
That's called Arkansas. Mississippi is about 30 minutes or so south of downtown Memphis.

thank you for correcting me

soxwon
02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
anyone interested in going to graceland saturday morning about 9am?

skottyj242
02-26-2008, 09:04 AM

I really want to go to Graceland but I don't think I can justify the 32 bucks just to see the jumpsuits. I would rather spend it on some good bbq and just buy a shirt or something from a cheaper store. I am for sure at least going to drive up to it and see it.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 09:37 AM

We plan on going, but on our own. No need for a White Sox caravan.

:puking:

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM

:dunno:

What's wrong with a bunch of Sox fans getting together to see Graceland?

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM

Nothing. It is not my thing.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Nothing. It is not my thing.

I've been told that Graceland is the happiest place on earth!

Do you like anything?

soxwon
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM

we be on the lookout for sox shirts in the crowd.
jenn you gonna be at the flying saucer friday night or before thegame saturday?

soxfan13
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM

Do you like anything?

Shes the biggest snob on here but was mentioned as one of the nicest people on here!!!:tongue:

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Do you like anything?

So I dont want to load up a yellow school bus with a bunch of people from a Sox board, I hate everything?

I am going to Graceland. I just dont see meeting up with a bunch of people to go. Big deal.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:04 AM
we be on the lookout for sox shirts in the crowd.
jenn you gonna be at the flying saucer friday night or before thegame saturday?

I will be doing my own thing with the people I am making the trip with.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
So I dont want to load up a yellow school bus with a bunch of people from a Sox board, I hate everything?

I am going to Graceland. I just dont see meeting up with a bunch of people to go. Big deal.

Ahh Jenn, I'm just giving you a hard time.

But...what if the bus wasn't yellow? Black and silver, perhaps?

skottyj242
02-26-2008, 10:06 AM

MOTEL 6!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what's wrong with it.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Ahh Jenn, I'm just giving you a hard time.

But...what if the bus wasn't yellow? Black and silver, perhaps?

If it has a bathroom and is showing movies then there is a small chance I maybe in.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 10:09 AM
If it has a bathroom and is showing movies then there is a small chance I maybe in.

Nice! Maybe "Da Rev" can make that happen.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Back to the Memphis hotel topic. The Friday night is pretty much booked at all hotels. I think the Double Tree is the only one that was not.

soxfan13
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Back to the Memphis hotel topic. The Friday night is pretty much booked at all hotels. I think the Double Tree is the only one that was not.

Isnt there a hotel at graceland?:tongue:

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice! Maybe "Da Rev" can make that happen.

I also will only go on the bus if they give out Elvis visors and fans.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I also will only go on the bus if they give out Elvis visors and fans.

I just kind of figured that was included...

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I just kind of figured that was included...

From what I hear it is an extra $10.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I just booked the Westin on Beale St for Sat night. We are going to stay somewhere else on Friday.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I just booked the Westin on Beale St for Sat night. We are going to stay somewhere else on Friday.

What kind of prices have you found? Any "bargains" from places that aren't totally, um, questionable?

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
What kind of prices have you found? Any "bargains" from places that aren't totally, um, questionable?

We decided that we are going to find a hotel on the way down for Fri night. The Westin is $219 a night. Unless you want to stay in a **** hotel this seems to be the average price. I look at this way, I may be paying more for the hotel in the "hot spot" but at least I will not have to pay for cabs then.

soxwon
02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
so i guess jenn wont be seen by any of us, she has plans with better people.
:o:

soxwon
02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
We decided that we are going to find a hotel on the way down for Fri night. The Westin is $219 a night. Unless you want to stay in a **** hotel this seems to be the average price. I look at this way, I may be paying more for the hotel in the "hot spot" but at least I will not have to pay for cabs then.

i guess your not driving down, cabs? there are busses downtown, and actually everything is walkable.

soxwon
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM

my mistake, the comfort inn on the river is $119 a night, but all booked up now.

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm going to be driving, so not being downtown isn't really a problem for me. I'm just trying to find a room that I won't have to share with cockroaches.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
i guess your not driving down, cabs? there are busses downtown, and actually everything is walkable.

We are driving. I dont want to stay farther than a mile from the park/beale street. I also do not want to stay in some **** hotel either.

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm going to be driving, so not being downtown isn't really a problem for me. I'm just trying to find a room that I won't have to share with cockroaches.

Check the airport area.

Over By There
02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for:

A) A nice place downtown to have dinner with my wife one night (we're staying a couple blocks from the park)

and/or

B) A recommendation on the best BBQ place?

hi im skot
02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Check the airport area.

Excellent...thanks. :smile:

DumpJerry
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM

A) A nice place downtown to have dinner with my wife one night (we're staying a couple blocks from the park)

and/or

BBQ= Rendezvous Ribs. They are in the alley across from the Peabody, 1/2 block from the ballpark

skottyj242
02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
so i guess jenn wont be seen by any of us, she has plans with better people.
:o:

I will be with her.

soxfan13
02-26-2008, 11:55 AM
BBQ= Rendezvous Ribs. They are in the alley across from the Peabody, 1/2 block from the ballpark

YES YES AND YES my buddy who lived in Memphis orders them thru the mail for his family parties. I could only imagine them hot off the grill at the restaurant. Their pulled pork is knock out also:gulp:

Over By There
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM

Excellent - we will check it out. If anyone has a recommendation of a nice restaurant, I'd appreciate that too. Need to take Mrs. OBT for a nice meal to thank her for making this our anniversary weekend this year. :smile:

DumpJerry
02-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Excellent - we will check it out. If anyone has a recommendation of a nice restaurant, I'd appreciate that too. Need to take Mrs. OBT for a nice meal to thank her for making this our anniversary weekend this year. :smile:
I don't remember the name, but there is a seafood restaurant on the River which is real nice. If you walk towards the River on Union Avenue (the street the Peabody and AutoZone Park are on) and turn left when you get to the river, it's the wooden seafaring-looking place. If you call the concierge of your hotel, they can tell you the name and number.

Jurr
02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't remember the name, but there is a seafood restaurant on the River which is real nice. If you walk towards the River on Union Avenue (the street the Peabody and AutoZone Park are on) and turn left when you get to the river, it's the wooden seafaring-looking place. If you call the concierge of your hotel, they can tell you the name and number.
That would be The Pier. Nice restaurant.
Memphis also has a great sushi restaurant on Main St./Peabody (right next to the trolley line) called Blue Fin. It's definitely worth a look.

soxwon
03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Has anyone received their Tickets for the METS-Sox Game in Memphis?
Im sure they will arrive shortly, but was just curious.

DumpJerry
03-08-2008, 10:59 PM
They have not been sent out yet. My friend in Memphis who bought mine at the AutoZone box office does not have them yet and she paid for them in December.

soxrme
03-09-2008, 05:56 PM

and/or

for BBQ go to Pig on Beale Street. great ribs and jazz on weekends. Avoid Rendevouz at all costs, too crowded and rlbs are dry rub only and are overrated. If you want a good food place that is not bbq and a little loud go to Bigfoot (I believe on second street). It is across the street from Peabody place. Then go across to the corner bar in the Peabody hotel, good bar with entertainment on the weekends. Good martini selection. These are all down the street from the stadium.

DumpJerry
03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
for BBQ go to Pig on Beale Street. great ribs and jazz on weekends. Avoid Rendevouz at all costs, too crowded and rlbs are dry rub only and are overrated.
Dry rub only????? Whenever I go there they ask if I want dry rub or wet.

The Pig is pretty good, but Rendezvous gets my vote, it's where my friends who are locals go. I've always gotten a table right away, the crowd has never been a problem.

soxrme
03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Just there with a large party all disappointed with the ribs. We were told dry onyl sauce on the table. It was the only time I was there and not a good impression, maybe a bad night?

Jurr
03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
The best BBQ in town BY A MILE is Neely's. Google it. Rendezvous is the touristy place, but Neely's has the best 'cue in town.

soxstarter
03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Well my favorite is the dry rub but I have seen people at Rendezvous that are up to their elbows in the wet sauce.

And the The Pier is great too. Isn't that fairly new "Elvis style place" near Beale? I understand they have the Banana/Peanut Butter Sandwiches.

Shorty1983
03-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Another good place is Blue City Cafe its right on Beale St. They have some good ol' soul food and the kitchen is open late for those of you who want to grub after the game.

TheBull
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I was in Memphis (Jan 31-Feb 3) to support a buddy competing in the International Blues Challenge, but failed to thank MeteorsSox4367 for recommending the Stax Museum and Sun Studio and Jabrch and SoxStarter for recommending Rendezvous.

I am a big Blues and Soul fan so Stax and Sun were no brainers. Our tour guide at Sun downplayed Elvis and really chatted up earlier Sun artists like Howlin' Wolf, Little Milton, James Cotton, and other Blues artists that eventually made their way to Chicago.

I spent four hours in the Stax Museum and could have spent eight there especially if there was a bar or restaurant nearby. The neighborhood is sketchy at best, but the Museum staff will call a cab for you if do not have a ride. Those not overly familiar with Booker T and MGs, but like their sound, will leave Stax with an appreciation and admiration of what they did for Stax with their own music and as the main house band for other Stax recording artists.

I made a point to ask nearly every service industry person encountered for rib recommendations. It was akin to starting the annual off-season "Best Beef" thread here. Virtually everyone had a different opinion, but a few trends did develop.

I went to Blues City Cafe after 1:00 am on the first night. It was one of the only places open then on Beale St. It was recommended by one of the Rum Boogie bartenders for late night ribs. My cousin and I were hammered, but recall the ribs being pretty good. Definitely better than anything I can get in San Diego.

On the second day, we hit The Pig on Beale for lunch, as recommended by another Rum Boogie bartender. You can get wet or dry there. I had both and their sauce was excellent. The ribs could have been trimmed better though. Later that night I hit Blues City Cafe late again and recall the ribs being pretty good though the senses were dulled by a night of Seagram's.

On the third day (Saturday), we finally made it to Rendezvous for lunch. Our waiter was "Red" who is pictured on the back of the menus along with other long time rib runners from Rendezvous. Red is built like Bubba, but waddles like Fred from Sanford and Son. If you are not paying close attention, you might not catch all he says to you and when he snaps back playfully, I can see how non-locals mistake the playfulness for rudeness. Red informed us that "ribs weren't ready yet" when we sat down and after we asked for anything, but kept bringing us little stuff to eat, whether we asked for it or not.

My South Side cousin walked into it with Red by asking "excuse me sir, do you have a washroom?" Without breaking stride as he waddled by our table, Red bellowed "damn straight we got a bathroom. What kind of place do you think this is?" The rest of the staff got a laugh at the expense of us peckawoods. The ribs were great. I can see how those that have never had dry ribs might be put off, but I think this place is a must visit. I liked it so much; I went again for early supper and sat at the bar. I had to punch up Rendezvous on the web when I got home to convince my wife that my credit card dings were for ribs and not something else.

On day four I made it to Corky's. They were good, but I preferred Rendezvous. I missed the ride to Neely's, but heard from friends that they were great.

Writing this manifesto has just ruined my dinner because the worst ribs in Memphis are better than my dining options tonight. My apologies for the length of the post.

jenn2080
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I was in Memphis (Jan 31-Feb 3) to support a buddy competing in the International Blues Challenge, but failed to thank MeteorsSox4367 for recommending the Stax Museum and Sun Studio and Jabrch and SoxStarter for recommending Rendezvous.

I am a big Blues and Soul fan so Stax and Sun were no brainers. Our tour guide at Sun downplayed Elvis and really chatted up earlier Sun artists like Howlin' Wolf, Little Milton, James Cotton, and other Blues artists that eventually made their way to Chicago.

I spent four hours in the Stax Museum and could have spent eight there especially if there was a bar or restaurant nearby. The neighborhood is sketchy at best, but the Museum staff will call a cab for you if do not have a ride. Those not overly familiar with Booker T and MGs, but like their sound, will leave Stax with an appreciation and admiration of what they did for Stax with their own music and as the main house band for other Stax recording artists.

I made a point to ask nearly every service industry person encountered for rib recommendations. It was akin to starting the annual off-season "Best Beef" thread here. Virtually everyone had a different opinion, but a few trends did develop.

I went to Blues City Cafe after 1:00 am on the first night. It was one of the only places open then on Beale St. It was recommended by one of the Rum Boogie bartenders for late night ribs. My cousin and I were hammered, but recall the ribs being pretty good. Definitely better than anything I can get in San Diego.

On the second day, we hit The Pig on Beale for lunch, as recommended by another Rum Boogie bartender. You can get wet or dry there. I had both and their sauce was excellent. The ribs could have been trimmed better though. Later that night I hit Blues City Cafe late again and recall the ribs being pretty good though the senses were dulled by a night of Seagram's.

On the third day (Saturday), we finally made it to Rendezvous for lunch. Our waiter was "Red" who is pictured on the back of the menus along with other long time rib runners from Rendezvous. Red is built like Bubba, but waddles like Fred from Sanford and Son. If you are not paying close attention, you might not catch all he says to you and when he snaps back playfully, I can see how non-locals mistake the playfulness for rudeness. Red informed us that "ribs weren't ready yet" when we sat down and after we asked for anything, but kept bringing us little stuff to eat, whether we asked for it or not.

My South Side cousin walked into it with Red by asking "excuse me sir, do you have a washroom?" Without breaking stride as he waddled by our table, Red bellowed "damn straight we got a bathroom. What kind of place do you think this is?" The rest of the staff got a laugh at the expense of us peckawoods. The ribs were great. I can see how those that have never had dry ribs might be put off, but I think this place is a must visit. I liked it so much; I went again for early supper and sat at the bar. I had to punch up Rendezvous on the web when I got home to convince my wife that my credit card dings were for ribs and not something else.

On day four I made it to Corky's. They were good, but I preferred Rendezvous. I missed the ride to Neely's, but heard from friends that they were great.

Writing this manifesto has just ruined my dinner because the worst ribs in Memphis are better than my dining options tonight. My apologies for the length of the post.

Your cousin rules.

soxstarter
03-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey TheBull! So glad you enjoyed Rendezvous and all the sights.:D:

adidas773
03-14-2008, 09:11 AM
for BBQ go to Pig on Beale Street. great ribs and jazz on weekends. Avoid Rendevouz at all costs, too crowded and rlbs are dry rub only and are overrated. If you want a good food place that is not bbq and a little loud go to Bigfoot (I believe on second street). It is across the street from Peabody place. Then go across to the corner bar in the Peabody hotel, good bar with entertainment on the weekends. Good martini selection. These are all down the street from the stadium.

i agree with you on Rendevouz, over rated. i think there's also a place on Second and Beale called Blues Cafe correct me if i'm wrong. Theres a nice sushi bar on main street called Blue fin, and flying saucer is a pretty cool spot for beer.

Over By There
03-15-2008, 07:41 AM
FYI, my Memphis tickets came in the mail yesterday...

SOXFAN82
03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
i didnt get to see a game there but looked around the park. It's a nice minor league park. Has anyone heard or seen which jerseys the teams will be wearing.

skottyj242
03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
I got my ticket the other day too. Where is eveyone sitting?

DumpJerry
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
My tix are awaiting me in Memphis with my friends down there. I am told we're 8 rows right behind Home Plate. $75/ticket.

soxrme
03-19-2008, 12:17 PM
For breakfast try the Blue Plate Special. Its between 2nd and third towards the convention center. There is a little park with a gazebo there. They do not open until 8:00 but well worth it

skottyj242
03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
My tix are awaiting me in Memphis with my friends down there. I am told we're 8 rows right behind Home Plate. $75/ticket.

We went with the left field bleachers for 33 a ticket.

Over By There
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Mrs. OBT and I will be just past the Sox dugout (toward the outfield), about 8 rows back, IIRC. Really looking forward to it.

DumpJerry
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
We went with the left field bleachers for 33 a ticket.
I asked her to get us near the Sox dugout. I did not know she would go expensive on us.

he gone!
03-19-2008, 06:05 PM
got mine! cant wait. gonna be rad!

soxwon
03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Friday outlook tstorms 66 degrees, i hope saturday is sunny.

skottyj242
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
We can't go. We have to move that day. :angry::mad:

DumpJerry
03-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Supposed to be sunny and 64 (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTN0325?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared) on game day!

ChiSoxlukes
03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Anybody know if the Sox will be taking off right after the game? Or will they be sticking around to hit up Beale Street?

soxwon
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Sc 127 rf corner row h seats 10-11
come say hey.
Also The Flying Saucer after the game and party into the morning.
Players prob will show up.

Jurr
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
:bandance:See y'all at the saucer friday night. We'll be there around 7 or so.
Can't wait!

Jerko
03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I just hope the Mets don't change their rotation so we have to face Santana.

Chrisaway
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Ill be there hope i meet some of ya.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

DumpJerry
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Johan in a Mets' Uni. I need the reassurance that he really is gone.

Weather permitting, I'll be wearing my 2005 WS Locker Room (Trophy) tee shirt with my pinstripe home WS jersey lettered with number 13 and "Ozzie" on the back. If it is chilly, I'll have the tee shirt and my parade jacket on. I will wonder around, looking forward to meeting everyone!

Jurr
03-27-2008, 03:03 PM
For breakfast try the Blue Plate Special. Its between 2nd and third towards the convention center. There is a little park with a gazebo there. They do not open until 8:00 but well worth it
Blue Plate Cafe. My weekend breakfast hangout. Come hungry!

ChiSox Fan 68
03-27-2008, 10:33 PM
We'll be there - Section 115, a few rows back. I'll be wearing my Donn Pall jersey, will be with my hubby and another couple. We get into town around 5:00pm tomorrow and will be heading to Beale Street for the NCAA game (rooting for Memphis of course!). Flying Saucer sounds good for Saturday night. Can't wait!

soxwon
03-27-2008, 10:41 PM
We'll be there - Section 115, a few rows back. I'll be wearing my Donn Pall jersey, will be with my hubby and another couple. We get into town around 5:00pm tomorrow and will be heading to Beale Street for the NCAA game (rooting for Memphis of course!). Flying Saucer sounds good for Saturday night. Can't wait!

sounds good see ya there.

skottyj242
03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I hate you all. I am so mad that I am not going. Damn moving.

jenn2080
03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
My brother will be there with a friend in place of Skotty and I.

kninchicago
03-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Hope the move goes well.

pdimas
03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I just got off the phone with my dad. I think we may drive down tonight. I took monday and Tuesday off so I have a nice four day weekend.

jenn2080
03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I just got off the phone with my dad. I think we may drive down tonight. I took monday and Tuesday off so I have a nice four day weekend.

Jeremy is leaving at about 4pm.

skottyj242
03-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Now I'm really mad I'm not going. Jerks.

adidas773
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
I will be there with my two broski's and a female friend. I'm going to be wearing my "05" world series hat with a Sox pinstripe jersey "Loiza".

soxfan13
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Now I'm really mad I'm not going. Jerks.

Im leaving at 330 just got the call :tongue:

skottyj242
03-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Im leaving at 330 just got the call :tongue:

No you're not. With who?

Shorty1983
03-29-2008, 12:36 AM
This is great, my fellow Chicagoans will flood the streets of Memphis. I will be in Section 107 with a pinstripe White Sox flag. Hope to see a huge turnout. :bandance: Southside pride in the south.

Over By There
03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Just got back. Here are some thoughts/impressions from the weekend:

Memphis impressed me. I wasn't expecting much, but was blown away by the hospitality and general cheery-ness of nearly everyone we came across.

The food recommendations given by the WSI faithful were great. We had breakfast both mornings at Blue Plate - charming little place. Decided to go with Pig for ribs after the game since we wanted to go back to Beale Street. Loved the ribs, and the guy they had playing guitar was good. Also had dinner on Friday night at Felicia Suzanne's - highly recommended.

I haven't been to many minor league parks, but AutoZone seemed awfully nice - kind of a 3/4 scale MLB park. We didn't try any food (saving up for ribs), but there seemed to plenty of good stuff. We had pretty good seats right in front of where the Sox warmed up prior to the game. Crede, Konerko and BA all came over to sign autographs right before the game.

I didn't see many Mets fans wearing their gear around town over the weekend, but saw plenty of Sox fans. This seemed to change once we got to the park - people wearing Mets caps were everywhere. I'd say Mets fans had us outnumbered. My impression was that there were also a lot of kids there with no real allegiance to either team, and they seemed to all cheer for the Mets. Incidentally, I only had one celebrity sighting: Saturday early afternoon, we were near Peabody Place when I suddenly found myself standing next to Joe Morgan waiting to cross the street. He was talking on his cell phone about travel arrangements, otherwise I would've tried to make conversation or gotten a picture snapped.

During warmups, Swisher seemed to be having a blast - dancing to the marching band, etc. Based on observing him briefly before the game, he seems like he'll bring good energy to the clubhouse and hopefully lighten things up a bit. The rest of the guys seemed to be in good spirits, despite the weather. Uribe and Ozuna fraternized with the Mets a bit, while everyone else seemed to stick together near the foul line.

I haven't read anything here at WSI yet about the game, but to my eye, the Sox played a bit sluggish and lifeless. Not that I blamed them - the weather left something to be desired, and despite the reason for the game, the outcome was ultimately meaningless. Sox fans didn't have too much to cheer about, but it was still fun to be amongst some fans, do some booing for the Quentin HR, and some cheering when we scored our two runs. The only other clear impression I had from the game was that the Sox looked overly tentative on the basepaths. Again, though, I wasn't expecting to see Pete Rose out there for a rainy preseason game.

Overall, it was a really fun trip that I enjoyed, as did Mrs. OBT. Memphis was nicer than I expected, and it was nice to see the Sox up close. I'm definitely ready for the season to start. :gulp:

DumpJerry
03-31-2008, 08:26 AM
It was real nice seeing baseball after a nearly six month lay over.

I wish I could take Mets' fans, bottle them and sell the stuff in Boston. If more fans were like Mets' fans, there would be lasting peace in the world. I'm not talking about the locals who decided to wear a Mets hat, but the actually Met fans I met on the street and at the park. They were nice, respectful and easy to get along with. Think the opposite of Red Sox fans.

The game itself did not bother me. Ozzie did not use his A team completely (no Cabrera, Hall replaced AJ, who is that Huffman guy who was not even listed in the roster in the program?). I was in Sec. 101, right behind Home. Contreras looked real good despite the home run. He left a lot of Met batters talking to themselves. I was disappointed to see Alexei go down on three straight swinging strikes (he was trying too hard), but he'll be alright.

Anderson has a very short haircut, it's a new look for him-no more All-American Hero. I was watching them warm up and when they stopped, one of the guys near me gave BA a good luck shout out, BA thanked him. BA, Konerko and Crede walked over to sign autographs.

The most cynical moment for me occurred in the Ninth. Between innings, there was a guy who would appear on the scoreboard with a local kid who was on a Little League team. He would ask the kid his age, who he played for, what position he played, and who his favorite MLB player was. The kid in the Ninth (a pitcher) said he favorite player was Barry bonds. Everyone in the stadium booed. The guy asked the kids if he wanted to reconsider his choice. The kid stood his ground and people booed again (he was 9 or 10 years old). I hope Selig was there to see what he created.

ChiSox Fan 68
03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
We had an absolute blast in Memphis. Our hotel was in a great location – right next to the trolley cars, across the park from the Blue Plate and an easy walk to both Beale Street and the ballpark. We were actually pretty impressed with Memphis. We had a preconceived notion and were, overall, proved wrong. We never felt unsafe and everyone was very nice.

The game was a lot of fun. The rain was a drag so we spent a few hours pre-game at the Flyer Saucer. I did see some Sox fans in there but had no idea if they were WSI’ers. It is tough when you don’t know what anyone looks like!

The rain let up when we got to the park. We were right down by the Sox dugout and got Crede and Konerko’s autographs. Later in the game, we ran into a woman who had worked in the front office in 2005 and she let us try on her World Series ring. Very cool. We were really bummed about the bad call on what should have been a three run homerun for the Sox. It was a little hard to know what was going on at the time but we TIVO’d the game and watched it last night and saw that it was obviously a homerun. After Ozzie was done arguing the call, he walked back to the dugout and blew a kiss to a bunch of fans chanting “Ozzie!! Ozzie!!”. Towards the end of the game, we saw Minnie Minoso and said Hi to him.

I was surprised and how many empty seats there were. I thought maybe it was the rain…but I also heard that there isn’t strong local support for the game. There is talk of Atlanta wanting to host the game next year.

Thanks to the great suggestions on Flying Saucer and Blue Plate. We liked both a lot. Beale Street was super fun. Went too fast and would have liked to have seen a White Sox winner, but other than that, it was a terrific trip.

Jurr
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
It was awesome being back in Memphis. The saucer was a little dead on Friday, but that was due to the weather and the fact that most people have parties during Memphis basketball games. The late Tigers game kinda took the bite outta downtown Memphis. We just shot pool at the Saucer and watched the game.

The conditions at the ball game sucked, and it did little to showcase how awesome that park is on a summer night. I think the weather just kinda took something away from the experience. Thank God the weather stayed nice in Cleveland today!!!

DumpJerry
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I was surprised and how many empty seats there were. I thought maybe it was the rain…but I also heard that there isn’t strong local support for the game. There is talk of Atlanta wanting to host the game next year.
My friend from Memphis who was at the game with me told me they did very little marketing of the game locally, she saw three billboards and that was it for marketing the game. I think it is obscene that Atlanta should be considered for the game. Atlanta has Major League Baseball (albeit National League) already. It should stay in Memphis to give the locals some MLB flavor.

soxwon
04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Friday night went partying on Beale street hit about 10 bars, meet lots of sox fans.
Ended up at Coyote Ugly whoo hoo, that was great, those girls are nuts.
Went to BB kings and stood right in front of the band, saw a few other Blues bands.
Stayed at comfort inn on Front street, took trolley to Beale street, Had a blast, but driving back sunday SUCKED, A monsoon engulfed us at 9am, could barely see in front of us.
Glad everyone had a great time.
Saturdays game was the first game we got ripped off BIGTIME, as was mondays debacle, im still fuming, WE WON THAT GAME damn it-Frickin umps.

he gone!
04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
We had an absolute blast in Memphis. Our hotel was in a great location – right next to the trolley cars, across the park from the Blue Plate and an easy walk to both Beale Street and the ballpark. We were actually pretty impressed with Memphis. We had a preconceived notion and were, overall, proved wrong. We never felt unsafe and everyone was very nice.

The game was a lot of fun. The rain was a drag so we spent a few hours pre-game at the Flyer Saucer. I did see some Sox fans in there but had no idea if they were WSI’ers. It is tough when you don’t know what anyone looks like!

The rain let up when we got to the park. We were right down by the Sox dugout and got Crede and Konerko’s autographs. Later in the game, we ran into a woman who had worked in the front office in 2005 and she let us try on her World Series ring. Very cool. We were really bummed about the bad call on what should have been a three run homerun for the Sox. It was a little hard to know what was going on at the time but we TIVO’d the game and watched it last night and saw that it was obviously a homerun. After Ozzie was done arguing the call, he walked back to the dugout and blew a kiss to a bunch of fans chanting “Ozzie!! Ozzie!!”. Towards the end of the game, we saw Minnie Minoso and said Hi to him.

Thanks to the great suggestions on Flying Saucer and Blue Plate. We liked both a lot. Beale Street was super fun. Went too fast and would have liked to have seen a White Sox winner, but other than that, it was a terrific trip.

i was sitting right behind the sox dugout. three rows back. i probably annoyed you. i was really drunk