PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Cubs game on Comcast right now, Remembering Harry

kruzer31
02-18-2008, 05:48 PM
As a tribute to Harry Carry 10th anniversary of passing away, Comcast has some specials on today. Earlier they had the 84 or 89 clincher for the Cubs, and right now they have on a 1987 game vs PHI and later they will have his final broadcast in 97. Pretty neat thing to do. Im just wondering why Comcast doesnt do this more often during the winter playing old MLB games of the Sox or the Cubs. I sure would like to see the 93 clincher when Bo hit that towering Homer to give us a lead or some games from the 83 season. Even if they put them on late like midnight or 2am. Im sure people would watch.

Jeff

kruzer31
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Andre Dawson just hit his 3rd HR of the game, Harry went nuts

Jeff

gobears1987
02-18-2008, 06:36 PM
What's the score?

whitem0nkey
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I would have liked if they had a cardinal and a white sox game with Harry.

TDog
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
... Im just wondering why Comcast doesnt do this more often during the winter playing old MLB games of the Sox or the Cubs. I sure would like to see the 93 clincher when Bo hit that towering Homer to give us a lead or some games from the 83 season. Even if they put them on late like midnight or 2am. Im sure people would watch. ...

As I understand it, the reason WGN stopped rebroadcasting old games during he offseason is that the rating were abysmally low.

DumpJerry
02-18-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm a little steamed that whenever they do a news story about the anniversary, all they mention and show is his work with the Cubs. You'd think he never worked for the White Sox.:angry:

itsnotrequired
02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
You'd think he never worked for the White Sox.:angry:

They didn't have TVs back then.

veeter
02-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm a little steamed that whenever they do a news story about the anniversary, all they mention and show is his work with the Cubs. You'd think he never worked for the White Sox.:angry:I won't watch those things because of that. And I loved Harry. Why don't they call it what it is..."Remembering the cubs very own, Harry Caray." It shouldn't be on Comcast. It should be on channel 9.

itsnotrequired
02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
This Philly-Cubs game is the best baseball game on right now.

:cool:

Brian26
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
This is sort of surreal. Lance Johnson just hit a triple off Schilling.

itsnotrequired
02-18-2008, 08:50 PM
This is sort of surreal. Lance Johnson just hit a triple off Schilling.

Cap Anson just slugged Mordecai Brown!

Woofer
02-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Pretty small crowd there to see Sandbergs last home game.

kruzer31
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Cap Anson just slugged Mordecai Brown!

???? That made no sense

J

gobears1987
02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Pretty small crowd there to see Sandbergs last home game.That is a lie. Cub fans are the best and always stand by their team.

BTW, does anyone have the picture of Chad? I miss that pic.

thomas35forever
02-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Who saw Sosa running in the outfield after the game? It's like he was saying "Wait till next year when you love me even more!"

pierzynski07
02-18-2008, 11:44 PM
1. It's amazing how sports technology has improved in ten years.
2. Tom Arnold? Wow.

ksimpson14
02-19-2008, 12:20 AM
I saw that on the guide and was wondering when they'd do some Sox games, I remember when the channel first launched they said they'd show some classic games of both teams. Even with the Bulls, I'd love to see some of this stuff, especially in an offseason. They are pretty good to responding to emails (from the address on their site), maybe if enough people ask...or if we let Brooks know... ;)

To be fair, I've heard a couple different sources reference Harry's 10 years with the Sox

Hitmen77
02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm a little steamed that whenever they do a news story about the anniversary, all they mention and show is his work with the Cubs. You'd think he never worked for the White Sox.:angry:

I agree. He was with the Sox almost as long as the Cubs (11 years vs. 15 years) and was a pretty big personality for us during his time on the South Side. This far removed from his service to both teams, I would expect more recognition of his Sox years. I can see why the coverage wouldn't be equal since his Sox years were longer ago, but this total whitewash of his years with us is ridiculous.

Pretty small crowd there to see Sandbergs last home game.

Like Gobears1987 said: Lies, lies! The Cubs have always sold out every game. The last time they had empty seats was back in the 70s. Their boost in attendance in the last 10 years (thanks to Sosa's circus at first and then to several playoff runs this decade) just proves that Cubs fans are the best and most loyal in the world! Meanwhile, the Sox boost in attendance over the last 3 years is proof that the Cell is full of bandwagon fans who only show up if they win.

chisox77
02-19-2008, 10:54 AM
To me, it makes no difference about what team Harry Caray is most associated with. I was never a fan of his anyway. I am also getting sick of the tributes. It's getting redundant. The whole thing is actually making Chicago look kind of foolish, to be honest.

TommyJohn
02-19-2008, 11:16 AM
To me, it makes no difference about what team Harry Caray is most associated with. I was never a fan of his anyway. I am also getting sick of the tributes. It's getting redundant. The whole thing is actually making Chicago look kind of foolish, to be honest.

As long as there is a buck to be made...

I always find it ironic that he was looked down upon by Cub fans during his time
with the White Sox (read Rick Schwab's "Stuck On the Cubs" for a Cub
fan's view of Harry, circa 1977) but when he went up north he became a
beloved "icon."

PatK
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I thought he was awesome until I went to college and heard other broadcasters. Then I realized how terrible he was.

Let's not forget that the "Wrigley Field Tradition" of Harry singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" was started during his time with the Sox

roylestillman
02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Absolute favorite part of watching those games was DeWayne Staats looking very late 1970's in the late 1980's

Lip Man 1
02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
I e-mailed Comcast the same thing, i.e. 'why all Cubs?' I have games of Harry doing the Sox and I'm just one fan...to tell me a major broadcasting organization doesn't have any or couldn't get one is stretching things a mite I do believe.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I e-mailed Comcast the same thing, i.e. 'why all Cubs?' I have games of Harry doing the Sox and I'm just one fan...to tell me a major broadcasting organization doesn't have any or couldn't get one is stretching things a mite I do believe.

Lip
I think part of the reason for "all Cubs" is that Jerry won't release tapes of Harry with the Sox...at least I think that's part of the reason.

Lip Man 1
02-19-2008, 02:08 PM
May I ask where you heard that? I've never heard that before and find it interesting. If that's true I don't expect that to change at least based on Paul Sullivan's story today in the Tribune on the last interview Harry ever did.

Lip

gobears1987
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I saw that on the guide and was wondering when they'd do some Sox games, I remember when the channel first launched they said they'd show some classic games of both teams. Even with the Bulls, I'd love to see some of this stuff, especially in an offseason. They are pretty good to responding to emails (from the address on their site), maybe if enough people ask...or if we let Brooks know... ;)

To be fair, I've heard a couple different sources reference Harry's 10 years with the Sox
They did rebroadcast three Sox games in December from earlier this year.

They were:
the 12 inning game with Uribe's walkoff
Buehrle's no-no
Thome's 500th

kruzer31
02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
They did rebroadcast three Sox games in December from earlier this year.

They were:
the 12 inning game with Uribe's walkoff
Buehrle's no-no
Thome's 500th

Thats fine, but Im talking games from 2000, 1993, 1983, those would be fun to watch

Jeff

C-Dawg
02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I always find it ironic that he was looked down upon by Cub fans during his time
beloved "icon."

The Cub fans I knew back around 82-83 absolutely despised Harry and hated WGN and/or the Cubs for hiring him. "He's still a Sox fan!" they complained.

:?:

johnr1note
02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
As long as there is a buck to be made...

beloved "icon."

Yep. One minute Cubs fans complained about what a drunken, broke down old man Harry was. Those same qualities suddenly endeared him into a quirky, grandfatherly type. The change was instantaneous.

Foulke You
02-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I think part of the reason for "all Cubs" is that Jerry won't release tapes of Harry with the Sox...at least I think that's part of the reason.
Are the White Sox even direct owners of that old footage? Wouldn't MLB as well as the TV stations that broadcast those games also have a stake in the footage and therefore be able to grant broadcasting rights? I'm not even sure how that works exactly. I'm just speculating.

Foulke You
02-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Lip
I also emailed CSN the "Why All Cubs?" question. It will be interesting to see if we get a reply. I'm also finding it difficult to believe they couldn't get the rights at least one old Sox game with Harry.

WhiteSox5187
02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
May I ask where you heard that? I've never heard that before and find it interesting. If that's true I don't expect that to change at least based on Paul Sullivan's story today in the Tribune on the last interview Harry ever did.

Lip
I THINK I read that here and then heard it from my dad (who worked with the Sox under Veeck and knew several people who worked under JR until Hawk came in as GM and then they were subsequently fired or quit). So, I'm not sold on it being fact, but seeing as how Jerry and Harry didn't exactly get along it does kinda make sense.

Mr. Man
02-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Harry carried a grudge against Reinsdorf for some time (likely till the end) over getting rid of Piersall and then Harry himself, so there could be some reciprocation.

If I recall right, Reinsdorf wanted to make the Sox the story rather than the Sox' announcers. Whereas the Cubs seemed to embrace ANYTHING or ANYONE who would take attention away from the product on the field.

Also, poor little Cub fans probably couldn't handle the truth. That Harry Caray grew up a Cardinals fan and refined his craft on the South Side. And that the Harry the Cards and Sox had was far superior to the Harry Caray they remember.

Mr. Man
02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
I found this on a collection of Harry Caray quotes (http://homerderby.com/archives/1859) ..

What do a Mama Bear on the pill and the World Series have in common?

No Cubs.
Nice personal story about Harry (http://homerderby.com/archives/1861) there too.

TommyJohn
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
The Cub fans I knew back around 82-83 absolutely despised Harry and hated WGN and/or the Cubs for hiring him. "He's still a Sox fan!" they complained.

:?:

Yep. One minute Cubs fans complained about what a drunken, broke down old man Harry was. Those same qualities suddenly endeared him into a quirky, grandfatherly type. The change was instantaneous.

It actually wasn't instantaneous. Like C-Dawg said, in 1982-83 he was still
hated by Cub fans, or so it would seem. I base that on memories of Harry's
first attempts to get the Wrigley crowds to sing "Take Me Out to the
Ballgame." The crowds were quiet and half-hearted in their singing, after all
it was a lowlife South Side "tradition." I remember it taking off in 1984.

kba
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM

At least one tape of Harry with the Sox HAS been released - the 1981 Opening Day telecast. (It was Fisk's first game with the Sox, and the first game of the Reinsdorf era.) ESPN Classic has shown it a couple times in recent years.

itsnotrequired
02-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Doesn't MLB own the rights to all these games anyway?

LongLiveFisk
02-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I also emailed CSN the "Why All Cubs?" question. It will be interesting to see if we get a reply. I'm also finding it difficult to believe they couldn't get the rights at least one old Sox game with Harry.

I would LOVE to see that.....

"...root, root, root for the WHITE SOX..." :)

Lip Man 1
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
MLB does own all the rights. JR couldn't directly embargo the footage, stations would have the right to go to MLB and get a copy.

In my opinion Comcast CHOSE not to go this route and do nothing but Cubs.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 01:10 PM
MLB does own all the rights. JR couldn't directly embargo the footage, stations would have the right to go to MLB and get a copy.

In my opinion Comcast CHOSE not to go this route and do nothing but Cubs.

Lip
I thought both own the rights..."without the explicit written permission of major league baseball and the Chicago White Sox"? Am I "misremembering" that?

Lip Man 1
02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
No you're not but MLB (Commissioner's office) has the final say over any individual owner. (Basically they have 51% of the vote.)

I'll check on this regarding JR stopping games from being shown but my gut feeling is telling me this isn't correct.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
No you're not but MLB (Commissioner's office) has the final say over any individual owner. (Basically they have 51% of the vote.)

I'll check on this regarding JR stopping games from being shown but my gut feeling is telling me this isn't correct.

Lip
I'd go with your gut too...I'm not positive on anything I've said earlier in this thread, but that's just what I've heard.

white sox bill
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Regarding the flub fans in denial that Harry once worked for that dreadfull team on the South Side, I remember at a party after Harry died, a handfull of scub fans and I were talking about Harry and me being the oddball Sox fan said something that stopped the conversation cold. I quote "Yea after he left I thought I'd miss Harry but ya know what? I don't...actuaully he fits in quite well on that north side circus" Ah the looks I got:smile::D::smile::D::smile::D::supernana:!!!

pierzynski07
02-20-2008, 10:41 PM
During one of the specials that day, there were several clips during "Take Me Out" moments that were clearly from when Harry was on the South Side.

My guess is they felt seeing Harry go nuts over Dawson's three homer day made for better television than any Sox game he did.