PDA

View Full Version : Sox and Flubs

Rockman218
02-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Right now, who do you honestly believe is the better baseball team? I'm gonna have to go with DA SOX.

gogosox16
02-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Right now, who do you honestly believe is the better baseball team? I'm gonna have to go with DA SOX.
I would go with the Sox also having the better team, but for the team to have a better shot at postseason is the Cubs because of the Weak N.L. There are too many good teams in the A.L.

turners56
02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Outsiders will say Cubs, people on this site will obviously say the Sox...but to be neutral and all and looking back at last year, the Cubs are kind of an obvious choice to pick to be better on paper. Weaker division, better talent, better pitching staff. Now that doesn't mean they'll win more games or do better. Because that's all on paper. I do have to say that the Sox will win close to 85 games at the least. Which, the Cubs did last year being healthy all year, with the exception of Soriano being out for a month.

Scottiehaswheels
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
This may be a more lopsided poll than the Giants/Patriots one.....

CHIsoxNation
02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I think if the Cubs picked up one more solid starter for their rotation to go behind Zambrano, Lilly, and Hill then I'd definitely say the Cubs. But I think they have a couple ? in their rotation just like we do.

I think, on paper, our bullpen is better.

Offensively, it's hard to tell since we still don't know who is going to be starting everyday...Crede/Fields, Owens/Quentin, Uribe/Ramirez/Ozuna/Richar.
The Cubs are looking to make a couple moves before the season starts, as I'm sure Kenny is as well. I think it's way too early to tell who has the 'better' team at this point.

chisoxmike
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Interesting question. The Cubs have the luxury of playing in the NL Central. In my opinion they're pretty much a lock to win the NL Central because the other teams are garbage.

The Sox are a third place team but may end up with a record close to the Cubs. :o:

The Cubs are slightly better in my opinion. They got the better bullpen. Both rotations are sub-par and the Sox may have a slight edge in the lineup.

Of course, this is all on paper. We won't really know until June.

Chicken Dinner
02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
What the hell are we talking about here?? :?:

getonbckthr
02-18-2008, 11:55 AM
C: Soto vs AJ= Cubs (I think Soto will be a stud)
1B: Konerko vs Lee= Cubs (close but Lee is better defensively and offensively)
2B: Richar vs Derosa= Cubs (Hopefully Richar will take strides)
SS: Cabrera vs Theriot= Sox in a landslide
LF: Soriano vs Owens/Quentin= Cubs
CF: Swisher vs Pie= Sox
RF: Dye vs Fukudome= EVEN (if FUKU is as good as advertised this goes to CUbs but who knows)
Zambrano vs Buerhle= Cubs
Vazquez vs Lilly= Sox
Contreras vs Hill= Cubs ( Contreras is bad)
Danks vs Lieber= Sox (is Lieber healthy? What does he have left?)
Floyd vs Marquis/Dempster/Marshall=Sox (Marquis is bad, Dempster was a closer for the recent past can he adjust? Marshall ehhhhh.)
Bullpen= Sox in a landslide.
I have it split down the middle 6-6. Tiebreakers Cubs are 3-0 (manager, division, league)

PicktoCLick72
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
closer for the recent past can he adjust? Marshall ehhhhh.)
I have it split down the middle 6-6. Tiebreakers Cubs are 3-0 (manager, division, league)

Manager? What exactly makes you say Lou is such a better manager? His handling of the pitching staff against the D-backs? His great record as manager of the D-Rays? The fact he couldn't get a Mariners' team with the best regular season to the World Series? Lou Pinella being a good manager is one of the biggest myths in baseball?

Scottiehaswheels
02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Manager? What exactly makes you say Lou is such a better manager? His handling of the pitching staff against the D-backs? His great record as manager of the D-Rays? The fact he couldn't get a Mariners' team with the best regular season to the World Series? Lou Pinella being a good manager is one of the biggest myths in baseball?He's fiery! Haven't seen that in Chicago in a long while.

oeo
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
C: Soto vs AJ= Cubs (I think Soto will be a stud)

:?:

Soto came from nowhere last year, and started hitting like he's never done in his career. He's never shown that kind of talent. Yet you're going to pick him over the proven guy?

I bet Soto sucks major ass.

Craig Grebeck
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
:?:

Soto came from nowhere last year, and started hitting like he's never done in his career. He's never shown that kind of talent. Yet you're going to pick him over the proven guy?

I bet Soto sucks major ass.
Really? You want to bet that? I'll take that bet.

oeo
02-18-2008, 01:10 PM

I was exaggerating that he will completely suck, but a stud? No way. This guy has never shown that ability at any level until last year. His ceiling was always a backup catcher, and that's where I'll keep him at.

twentywontowin
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM

His sample size is too small to say he is going to be a stud catcher. He played out of his mind in the minors in 2007, and carried it over to the Cubs very well. But he is definitely unproven based on his numbers from 2006 and previous years.

He will get a ton of playing time this year, because anybody is better than Henry Blanco.

kittle42
02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Asking questions like this that require objectivity are pointless. But I'll answer - Cubs.

TDog
02-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Asking questions like this that require objectivity are pointless. But I'll answer - Cubs.

That's a gutsy opinion to express on a board where objectivity often is expected to take the form of bias toward the White Sox.

I too think the question is pointless. I will say, though, that people excited about their team is great because they play in an easy division are conceding that their team is flawed. Even a team in an easy division has to have a good season to win. A couple of injuries can turn a very good team to a below-.500 team.

Honestly and objectively, I don't expect the Cubs to win their division in 2008.

russ99
02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Realistically, the Cubs probably won't win the division.

Soriano's having recurring problems with his legs after tearing a muscle (sound familar, Pods fans?) and they're one starter short of a decent rotation, given Big Z doesn't get complacent with his big contract, flip out or follow the track record of Wood/Prior getting hurt from overuse in a playoff year.

Fukudome's coming over not knowing English, with the pressure of a big contract and the distraction of massive amounts of Japanese press hanging on his every move.

They're expecting Dempster to start and Wood to close, and they're breaking in 2 rookies down the middle at CF and C. Plus they'll have a playoff-hangover like the last few Cub teams to win the division.

Overall they have too many question marks for a team everyone's expecting to repeat as division champs or make a run at the Series.

The Brewers are definitely the team to beat in the (non-garbage) Central, have the best pitching, grabbed Gagne to solidify closer and added Cameron to an already stacked lineup.

I'd also expect a good challenge by the Reds and Astros (yes you heard me correctly).

Smokey Burg
02-19-2008, 01:00 PM
This is a tough question to answer with an honest objective opinion. IMHO the reasons the Cubs were able win last year had more to do with the Astros, Cards and Reds inability to put it together during the season and with the Brewers forgetting how to play baseball at the end of the season. I don't think the Sox have built enough during the off season to effectively compete. It really looks like both teams are going to struggle to be around .500 by the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be surprised if by Memorial Day weekend I hear people saying that they are looking forward to Bear season.

steely712
02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Looking top to bottom in both lineups, you would have to say that the Sox definitely seem to have a scarier lineup, with having to face Thome, PK, Swisher, JD, and Fields, but the cubs do have a pretty good middle of the order with Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, and maybe Fukodome. The only thing that the cubs have that we do not is a leadoff hitter, Theriot had a good year for them, but we will see if he can carry it over to another year. I still definitely think that the Sox are a better team, but the Cubs have a better chance winning their division. Sox sweep the season series!
:bandance::dtroll::gulp:

chisox77
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
After a second of reflection, I think the White Sox are better.

:cool:

Railsplitter
02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Sox, of course.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
The team that has won a World Series in the past 5 years. Even if I honestly felt the other team was better, I'd never admit it.

kittle42
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
The team that has won a World Series in the past 5 years. Even if I honestly felt the other team was better, I'd never admit it.

You'll fit in quite well with the Cubsession.

jabrch
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
The Cubs likely score more runs relative to their league.

The Sox likely allow fewer runs relative to their league.

So who the hell knows?

Call me in July - I'll know something by then instead of having to pull it completely out of my ass.

Noneck
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Who's better? That doesn't matter unless they will go 1 on 1 for 162 games. What matters is, Who has a better chance of winning it all. The answer to that is unfortunately the cubs.

cub killer
03-04-2008, 05:44 PM
You'll fit in quite well with the Cubsession.

I don't like that word and there's none of that here at WSI. It's just good ole' healthy hatred of the flubs.

kittle42
03-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't like that word and there's none of that here at WSI. It's just good ole' healthy hatred of the flubs.

I also hate the Cubs, but I don't feel the need to wear it like a badge of honor.

spiffie
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
The Cubs likely score more runs relative to their league.

The Sox likely allow fewer runs relative to their league.

So who the hell knows?

Call me in July - I'll know something by then instead of having to pull it completely out of my ass.
Interesting. You think the Sox end up in the the top 6 in terms of runs allowed this year, despite the rather shaky rotation? I know the pen last year was brutal and cost us a bunch of runs, but I wonder about this. I hope you're right though, since I think if we can somehow be in the top 5 or so in ERA we have an offense that would be able to keep us in the hunt. Guess I just don't trust the arms right now.

Demafrost
03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Comparing the Cubs and Sox is way too objective and biased, so lets compare the Sox and Brewers so it's at least a little less biased. I personally think the Brewers are favorites in the division.

C - AJ over Kendall
1B - Prince over Paulie
2B - Weeks over Richar
SS - Cabrera over Hardy
3B - Fields over Hall
LF - Braun over Swisher
CF - Cameron over Owens
RF - Dye equals Hart

SP - Sheets equals Buehlre (Sheets is better when healthy but never is)
SP - Vazquez over Suppan
SP - Gallardo over Contreras
SP - Danks over Bush
SP - Floyd equals Parra?

Bullpen - Sox better than Brewers
Bench - Sox better than Brewers

That's 7 for the Sox, 5 for the Brewers and 3 ties. Sox are better than the Cubs.

Uncle_Patrick
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Ha! :rolling:

Chez
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
So White Sox fans think their team is better than the Cubs. It's settled. Glad we answered that open question.

jenn2080
03-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Im shocked by how many people answered this without being bias. Right on.

You cannot answer that until you see both teams in motion.

cub killer
03-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I also hate the Cubs, but I don't feel the need to wear it like a badge of honor.

I think it is honorable to love the Sox and dislike the other team. The White Sox represent hard work, success and character. The other team represents phoniness, superficiality, all hype and no substance. Simply put, the flubs are the Paris Hilton of baseball.