PDA

View Full Version : MLBTR - Crede To Giants For Prospects?

turners56
02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
According to Henry Schulman, the Sox may accept prospects from the Giants for Joe Crede.

Source: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/02/odds-and-ends-8.html

Kenny better wait until sometime later in Spring to pull a trigger on any kind of Crede deal. As of now, prospects alone are risky and IMO too little in return. I know Crede has a bad back and he's a FA next year, but Kenny should at least try to solidify a position that is weak on the team. Looks like getting Lowry was kind of unrealistic. But then again, this is by MLBTR...and it is just a rumor.

voodoochile
02-18-2008, 10:22 AM
It's actually the SF Chronicle which is saying it. It's very unspecific. It's also one line at the end of an article.

Sound's maybe definitely possibly true. Or not...

Or to put it another way...

:gah:

:tongue:

turners56
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
It isn't the worst idea to give away Crede for prospects, but after all these rumors flying around that Crede + somebody else can get us a solid starter, it seems kind of disappointing. Although Crede should be able to get us some alright prospects. But then again, isn't Kenny's goal of the offseason to trade away prospects rather than gain them xD?

Gah...you're right.

Grzegorz
02-18-2008, 10:36 AM
According to Henry Schulman, the Sox may accept prospects from the Giants for Joe Crede.

Kenny better wait until sometime later in Spring to pull a trigger on any kind of Crede deal. As of now, prospects alone are risky and IMO too little in return.

Before Kenny does anything he should re-iterate his stance that both Fields and Crede will not be on the same diamond during the season.

turners56
02-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Before Kenny does anything he should re-iterate his stance that both Fields and Crede will not be on the same diamond during the season.

I meant to say spring training...

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I just wish all these threads would go away.
We have enough of these rumor threads!

gogosox16
02-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I just wish all these threads would go away.
We have enough of these rumor threads!
Soon they will stop being rumors and it will actually occur. I will be in shock to see Crede with The Sox by opening day

turners56
02-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Soon they will stop being rumors and it will actually occur. I will be in shock to see Crede with The Sox by opening day

I can tell by your Sig...

gogosox16
02-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I can tell by your Sig...
Yep. The Future of the Sox.

Bucky F. Dent
02-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I simply cannot imagine dealing him after a single positive training session. Give him some time over spring training to have some success, prove his health, build up his value and then deal him.

IMHO, this was just filler at the bottom of an article.

gogosox16
02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I simply cannot imagine dealing him after a single positive training session. Give him some time over spring training to have some success, prove his health, build up his value and then deal him.

IMHO, this was just filler at the bottom of an article.
I Expect Crede Gone Mid to end of March.

Grzegorz
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Turners56,

My point was to show the stupidity in KW's approach of lessening his bargaining position.

getonbckthr
02-18-2008, 11:40 AM
The Twins did get Nathan, Liriano and ??? from SF for Pierzynski...

munchman33
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Kenny better wait until sometime later in Spring to pull a trigger on any kind of Crede deal. As of now, prospects alone are risky and IMO too little in return. I know Crede has a bad back and he's a FA next year, but Kenny should at least try to solidify a position that is weak on the team. Looks like getting Lowry was kind of unrealistic. But then again, this is by MLBTR...and it is just a rumor.

HE HAD BACK SURGERY.

Six weeks of spring training isn't going to garner him any more value. He's a serious question to hold up the whole season. If you can get anything for him at any point, you do it. Period.

sox1970
02-18-2008, 11:42 AM
The Twins did get Nathan, Liriano and ??? from SF for Pierzynski...

Boof Bonser

turners56
02-18-2008, 11:55 AM
HE HAD BACK SURGERY.

Six weeks of spring training isn't going to garner him any more value. He's a serious question to hold up the whole season. If you can get anything for him at any point, you do it. Period.

6 weeks is enough to see if he can actually play without problems. You'd rather have him play a bit than trade him now for lesser value. Once he proves that he can play without short-term problems the Giants will feel more secure about giving up their players.

getonbckthr
02-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Boof Bonser
Thats what I thought but wasn't 100%

voodoochile
6 weeks is enough to see if he can actually play without problems. You'd rather have him play a bit than trade him now for lesser value. Once he proves that he can play without short-term problems the Giants will feel more secure about giving up their players.

What if the opposite happens?

turners56
Turners56,

My point was to show the stupidity in KW's approach of lessening his bargaining position.

My bad, interpreted it wrong.

turners56
02-18-2008, 12:00 PM
What if the opposite happens?

Then we're stuck with a 5 million dollar liability, who's out the door next year. We have a guy in Fields who can fill in, it's not like we're really losing something that's a huge part of the franchise and would of made a major impact. If I would know what prospects we're gonna get for him as of now, I might have a change of mind. But letting Crede play for a couple of weeks in spring isn't going to hurt his value. People are already skeptical on his health, not like they think he's 100% healthy and ready to go.

dickallen15
02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
HE HAD BACK SURGERY.

No you don't. If that were the case, the White Sox would have non-tendered him. They wanted him to have the surgery last year. They are very confident his back will not be an issue.

Rocky Soprano
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Yep. The Future of the Sox.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think you get the point. :rolleyes:

munchman33
02-18-2008, 09:45 PM
No you don't. If that were the case, the White Sox would have non-tendered him. They wanted him to have the surgery last year. They are very confident his back will not be an issue.

Yeah, but would someone else give something for him? The White Sox are the only ones privy to his medical records.

pmck003
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't see a good reason to rushing the trade of Crede unless the Giants are wanting to get it done sooner than later. Considering how much the Sox have put into this year, I don't see why they wouldn't want to wait a month or two just incase Fields or Thome gets hurt. Are the Giants putting pressure on the Sox? (- is there another option they are looking at?)

SoxyStu
02-18-2008, 11:09 PM
HE HAD BACK SURGERY.

Ya, exactly. PLUS, wasn't he barely over the Mendoza line last year when he was playing?

Taliesinrk
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Ya, exactly. PLUS, wasn't he barely over the Mendoza line last year when he was playing?

Playing hurt, you mean. Plus so was the rest of the team

SoxyStu
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Playing hurt, you mean. Plus so was the rest of the team

Actually, no, I didn't mean that. So, do you mean we all should excuse him from the **** year he was having? Or, as you said the entire team was hurt, they all get excuses?

All major league baseball players who played in every game last year was playing at 100% except players the White Sox. Therefore, we'll put an asterisk next to Joe's and every White Sox player's 2007 stats. *2007 - Played injured.

MisterB
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Just to throw another cowboy on the fire...

Rowand pushing for ex-mate Crede (http://www.insidebayarea.com/giants/ci_8312982)

soxfan43
02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually, no, I didn't mean that. So, do you mean we all should excuse him from the **** year he was having? Or, as you said the entire team was hurt, they all get excuses?

All major league baseball players who played in every game last year was playing at 100% except players the White Sox. Therefore, we'll put an asterisk next to Joe's and every White Sox player's 2007 stats. *2007 - Played injured.

Have you ever hurt your back? Not that easy diving for groundballs and swinging at 95mph fastballs with that type of injury. Joe put up solid numbers in 2005, stepped it up huge inthe playoffs and then put in a solid 2006. I tend to lean towards that type of production rather than a couple weeks of stats from an injury plagued season.

kittle42
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Have you ever hurt your back? Not that easy diving for groundballs and swinging at 95mph fastballs with that type of injury. Joe put up solid numbers in 2005, stepped it up huge inthe playoffs and then put in a solid 2006. I tend to lean towards that type of production rather than a couple weeks of stats from an injury plagued season.

Fine, I agree, but he's still not an elite 3B, and, thus, his injury problem hurts his value even more.

California Sox
02-20-2008, 01:02 PM
This is the Giants beat writer responding to speculation of some Sox beat writer responding to speculation that maybe the Giants might be a good place for Crede to land. It's not worth the electrons it's written with.

That said, the Giants farm system is almost as bad as ours. They may not have a single position player who will be a regular in the majors. The majority of their top shelf prospects were drafted last year. Unless Sox scouts have an Emmanuel Burris fetish, I don't see how this gets done without a major leaguer.

SoxyStu
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM

I'm sure he has the Valentine he received from you still hanging on his fridge.

All joking aside, I understand how you can say the injury plagued him. However, I think it's wrong to read/hear people turn Joe into this gigantic victim and we all should forgive him. I'm sorry, I won't.

Now, look at it from a G.M.'s point of view. What did he play, like 3 months (crappily) last year? He hasn't shown anything yet this Spring and throughout his career (well, 03 to be fair), he has only had 1 "solid" full regular season. Joe's 2005 numbers, in my opinion, are not solid offensive numbers. If you want to lean towards his one solid season to project his future (with his back always a looming issue), then I'm bummed out you're not some other team's G.M. That would probably work out just dandy for the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
For what it's worth, I'd rather see a healthy productive Crede at third for the long haul rather than Josh Fields...right now, both are bit of question marks, with Fields being a little more certain...I'm not saying that's the move I'd make if I were GM either, just that's what I'd like to see.

palehozenychicty
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
For what it's worth, I'd rather see a healthy productive Crede at third for the long haul rather than Josh Fields...right now, both are bit of question marks, with Fields being a little more certain...I'm not saying that's the move I'd make if I were GM either, just that's what I'd like to see.

Crede has had his chance. He became a respectable hitter far too late. In fact, his bat is still a question. You have to go with Fields, as he at least can improve.

kittle42
02-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Crede has had his chance. He became a respectable hitter far too late. In fact, his bat is still a question. You have to go with Fields, as he at least can improve.

Crede is a star, just like Brian Roberts!

Actually, the above statement is kinda true, in its teal sense.

WhiteSox5187
02-20-2008, 03:21 PM
I understand that his bat is still in question, and that's why I said "I'm not saying this is what I'd do if I were GM." The GM in me says "Fields" the fan in me says "Crede." We'll see...I still think Crede will be on the OD roster...I'm probably wrong though.

turners56
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Crede is a star, just like Brian Roberts!

Actually, the above statement is kinda true, in its teal sense.

Roberts isn't a star, he cheated for his 18 homers in 05. Crede had one great legitimate silver-slugger type year. And how can we forget that ALCS and World Series performance?

Now, Roberts is a good leadoff hitter, but that doesn't make him a star...was Scott Podsednik (when healthy) really a star? Ask most people who know a little bit about baseball and bring up the name Brian Roberts...they wouldn't know who he is or who he plays for.

kittle42
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Roberts isn't a star, he cheated for his 18 homers in 05. Crede had one great legitimate silver-slugger type year. And how can we forget that ALCS and World Series performance?

Now, Roberts is a good leadoff hitter, but that doesn't make him a star...was Scott Podsednik (when healthy) really a star? Ask most people who know a little bit about baseball and bring up the name Brian Roberts...they wouldn't know who he is or who he plays for.

I was referencing the Roberts thread and taking a rip at the poster(s) over there.

turners56
02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I was referencing the Roberts thread and taking a rip at the poster(s) over there.

:| ohhhh....well I took a rip for you too...just quoted the wrong guy xD.

EndemicSox
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I believe it is in the Sox best interests to keep Crede and see if his playoff-run/'06 was no fluke. Before his back started acting up at the end of '06, his numbers for a 3B were mighty impressive, not to mention his gold-glove defense. If the Sox appear to be out of it come July, and Crede has proven he is back, Williams could get a pretty penny for him, or simply lock him up and move Fields to a different position. If he stinks, so be it, the Sox lose him for nothing, which is pretty much what they would get by moving him now...

munchman33
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Now, Roberts is a good leadoff hitter, but that doesn't make him a star

You're right, good leadoff hitters are so easy to find.

There are 27 baseball teams that right now would put Brian Roberts at the top of their lineup. The man is a star.

gogosox16
02-20-2008, 05:52 PM

There are 27 baseball teams that right now would put Brian Roberts at the top of their lineup. The man is a star.
I'm taking that one of those teams that wouldn't want him as a leadoff hitter for them is the Sox cause we got ourselves Jerry Owens.:smile:

turners56
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM

Would you take him over Damon, Ichiro, Soriano (if he bats leadoff again...), Pierre, Furcal (he would be if Pierre wasn't in LA), Figgins, Granderson, Reyes, Rollins, and Hanley Ramirez? From what I can see there that's at least 8 teams with players that are at the same level, if not better than Brian Roberts at the leadoff position. Notice I did not list Jerry Owens ;).

kittle42
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Would you take him over Damon, Ichiro, Soriano (if he bats leadoff again...), Pierre, Furcal (he would be if Pierre wasn't in LA), Figgins, Granderson, Reyes, Rollins, and Hanley Ramirez? From what I can see there that's at least 8 teams with players that are at the same level, if not better than Brian Roberts at the leadoff position. Notice I did not list Jerry Owens ;).

And none of them are cheaters (which doesn't affect Roberts' "star" status, just his level of integrity).

turners56
02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
And none of them are cheaters (which doesn't affect Roberts' "star" status, just his level of integrity).

If he cheated to make himself known as a star, that not only shatters his integrity, but his position as a star. Because he really didn't earn that status. Just like how Giambi should mail Frank Thomas that 2000 MVP trophy.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-21-2008, 01:03 AM
The Giants' GM is dumb. Crede for Lowry straight up.
Hey KW: Do work son!

Rockabilly
02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Aaron Rowand admits he is biased, but he believes third baseman Joe Crede would be a tremendous fit with the Giants. And he knows the front office is thinking hard about acquiring his former Chicago White Sox teammate.

That's because Giants officials asked Rowand to provide a character reference.
"They inquired and asked about what kind of guy he is," Rowand said. "They obviously know what he can do as a baseball player."

Crede, 29, is coming off an injury-shortened, 47-game season and had surgery to alleviate a herniated disk in June. He reported to White Sox camp proclaiming to be healthy, and the Giants will monitor him closely this spring. Expendable because of the emergence of Josh Fields at third, Crede hit 30 home runs and drove in 94 runs in 2006. He was a clutch machine for the White Sox in their 2005 march to a World Series championship.

Also a radio report here in SF mention the Sox are scouting K Correia and B Wilson because the Giants don't want to give up Lowry

chisox77
02-21-2008, 09:28 AM
IMO, the Giants will have to give up a decent MLB pitcher for Crede, not prospects. If the White Sox are able to wait a little longer during ST, or even early into the season (allowing Crede to play and showcase his health and renewed ability), other teams, and maybe the Giants, will have to offer more to get him.

:cool:

spiffie
02-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Aaron Rowand admits he is biased, but he believes third baseman Joe Crede would be a tremendous fit with the Giants. And he knows the front office is thinking hard about acquiring his former Chicago White Sox teammate.

That's because Giants officials asked Rowand to provide a character reference.
"They inquired and asked about what kind of guy he is," Rowand said. "They obviously know what he can do as a baseball player."

Crede, 29, is coming off an injury-shortened, 47-game season and had surgery to alleviate a herniated disk in June. He reported to White Sox camp proclaiming to be healthy, and the Giants will monitor him closely this spring. Expendable because of the emergence of Josh Fields at third, Crede hit 30 home runs and drove in 94 runs in 2006. He was a clutch machine for the White Sox in their 2005 march to a World Series championship.

Also a radio report here in SF mention the Sox are scouting K Correia and B Wilson because the Giants don't want to give up Lowry
I'd be happy to add Wilson to the pen. Suddenly a pen of Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, Wilson, Thornton, and one or two of the MacDougal/Logan/Wasserman/Masset group seems like the best in the division.

cards press box
02-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Who are Correia and Wilson and what positions do they play?

spawn
02-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Who are Correia and Wilson and what positions do they play?

Brian Wilson (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7743/career;_ylt=ApsbFcg7P8cSBA1NSWnp6PqFCLcF)

Kevin Correia (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7178/career;_ylt=ApsbFcg7P8cSBA1NSWnp6PqFCLcF)

Both are pitchers.

SoxNation05
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
What if the Sox got Wilson and Durham? Durham can split time with Richar and be a mentor to him.

sox1970
02-21-2008, 12:19 PM
What if the Sox got Wilson and Durham? Durham can split time with Richar and be a mentor to him.

:o:

39 days.

palehozenychicty
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
If KW gets Wilson out of Crede, then wow. That would be turning water into wine.

California Sox
02-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Wilson and Correia seem like journeyman roster fillers. Wilson was good last year in limited innings in the NL in a pitcher's park. He was less good in 2006. I'd rather have the two picks than either of those guys. And that's the problem with dealing with the Giants. The reason they need Crede (and needed to sign Zito and Rowand to huge money deals) is that the general talent level of their organization is extremely weak. If we deal them Crede we'll get nothing back because they have nothing.

btrain929
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Wilson and Correia seem like journeyman roster fillers. Wilson was good last year in limited innings in the NL in a pitcher's park. He was less good in 2006. I'd rather have the two picks than either of those guys. And that's the problem with dealing with the Giants. The reason they need Crede (and needed to sign Zito and Rowand to huge money deals) is that the general talent level of their organization is extremely weak. If we deal them Crede we'll get nothing back because they have nothing.

I want Rajai Davis. In limited time, his natural position is CF, has hit for a decent avg and obp, and steal bases. Basically a more advanced version of Jerry Owens. Right now he's 4th on their depth chart because of the money they threw around to old OF'ers, so he'd be a guy I'd be interested in, and I think is obtainable.

The Immigrant
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I'd rather have the two picks than either of those guys.

What two picks? We'd be lucky if Crede is a Type B free agent.

cws05champ
02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
As somebody else had said previously...most of their top end prospects were drafted in 2007, therefore can not be traded(Alderson, Bumgarner,Noonan). They have a lot of OF's in their system in Fred Lewis, Rajah Davis and MiL Schierholtz, Bowker, Fairley all in their top ten. With Schierholtz looking like the closest to the majors with 25-30 HR potential.

Optipessimism
02-21-2008, 01:33 PM
As somebody else had said previously...most of their top end prospects were drafted in 2007, therefore can not be traded(Alderson, Bumgarner,Noonan). They have a lot of OF's in their system in Fred Lewis, Rajah Davis and MiL Schierholtz, Bowker, Fairley all in their top ten. With Schierholtz looking like the closest to the majors with 25-30 HR potential.
There's still the PTBNL possibility, but nonetheless I don't expect much for Joe. Who else needs a 3B? If no other team pops up to compete against SF for his services, he basically have to give Joe away to whoever for whatever, unless of course we want to eat his salary, deal with off-field issues including daily questions from the media about a looming trade deadline deal, and on top of that we'd have to set back Fields.

spiffie
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Wilson is 25 years old and only in his second year in the majors. He racked up 183 innings in the minors with an ERA of 2.99, a WHIP of 1.24, and a better than 2:1 K/BB ratio. I'll take my chances with him for a guy who will likely have chronic back problems for the rest of his career and is currently blocking our number 1 prospect and a better offensive player.

kittle42
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Wilson is 25 years old and only in his second year in the majors. He racked up 183 innings in the minors with an ERA of 2.99, a WHIP of 1.24, and a better than 2:1 K/BB ratio. I'll take my chances with him for a guy who will likely have chronic back problems for the rest of his career and is currently blocking our number 1 prospect and a better offensive player.

You can't srague with people who don't realize Crede's value is pretty much nil. It's like the Iguchi crowd last season. Maybe these teams don't realize these guys have World Series rings!

Tragg
02-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Crede's not blocking anything this year. Fields could start 3-4 games a week easily as a bench bat...probably more, spelling Thome, Crede and perhaps Konerko.

I'd rather see us move Uribe. $4 mill a year says he has value - if he doesn't why didn't we pay him $1.5 mill?

How many career middle relievers do the Sox need?

WhiteSox5187
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Crede's not blocking anything this year. Fields could start 3-4 games a week easily as a bench bat...probably more, spelling Thome, Crede and perhaps Konerko.

I'd rather see us move Uribe. $4 mill a year says he has value - if he doesn't why didn't we pay him $1.5 mill?

A guy's salary doesn't determine his value, Eric Gagne is making ten million this year, doesn't mean he can pitch worth a damn.

spiffie
02-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Yes, that's just what we want to do with Fields, a guy who has issues at 3rd base, let's bounce him all around the diamond. That'll be great for his development.

I love how you can refer to a 25 year old pitcher with barely 2 years MLB experience as a "career middle reliever" yet at the same time you want to keep Crede who by your style of definition should be a "journeyman with an average bat."

SoxNation05
02-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes, that's just what we want to do with Fields, a guy who has issues at 3rd base, let's bounce him all around the diamond. That'll be great for his development.

I love how you can refer to a 25 year old pitcher with barely 2 years MLB experience as a "career middle reliever" yet at the same time you want to keep Crede who by your style of definition should be a "journeyman with an average bat."
But he was right when he said Dan Haren was a number 5 starter.

turners56
02-22-2008, 04:18 PM

I'm sure Crede will not care that he's being platooned with a 2nd year player. He will sure play like a champ when he can! :rolleyes:

Tragg
02-22-2008, 05:27 PM
This is the organization that refused to play Fields at 3rd during mop up time in the season. Now we're supposed to be comfortable with him? Fields would be a killer DH a couple of times a week - this organization sure could use a legitimate hitter on the bench for the first time in a while. I don't see how that will hurt his development.
I'm all for trading Crede - for something worthwhile.

I don't see whether Crede likes "platooning" or not is relevant.

Yes, I mixed up Hardin and Haren a few months ago.

BadBobbyJenks
02-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Who is Hardin?:redneck

turners56
02-22-2008, 08:05 PM
This is the organization that refused to play Fields at 3rd during mop up time in the season. Now we're supposed to be comfortable with him? Fields would be a killer DH a couple of times a week - this organization sure could use a legitimate hitter on the bench for the first time in a while. I don't see how that will hurt his development.
I'm all for trading Crede - for something worthwhile.

I wouldn't like sharing a role in my walk year when I've proven to be a great clutch hitter and a great defensive 3rd baseman.

And It's Harden...
I personally don't think Harden is anywhere close to a 5th starter. He is at best a dominant ace when healthy and at worst a second starter on good teams. The dude's been Oakland's ace on paper for the last 2-3 years. Harden has amazing stuff, if he can stay healthy for a entire year, he can possibly produce 20 wins and a sub 3.5 ERA depending on the team he plays for. He's only had one full season in 2004 (31 starts, 190 innings pitched) as a starter where he went 11-7 with a 3.99 ERA and 167 Ks. Not great, but a starter any team would like to have as their 2 or 3. The following year he got injured mid-season, but still produced 10 wins while losing 5 in 19 starts with with an awesome 2.5 ERA. The guy is Jake Peavy material, he can win a Cy Young if he pitches well and stays healthy. I don't know why you would ever label him as a #5 starter.

fozzy
02-24-2008, 04:52 AM
This is the organization that refused to play Fields at 3rd during mop up time in the season.

If you knew anything about baseball you would understand that when the sox moved Josh to left field it had nothing to due with his ability to play 3rd base. They were testing him to see wether or not he could play a corner OF postion and then keep Joe at 3rd.