PDA

View Full Version : Marlins reportedly reach new ballpark deal

thomas35forever
02-16-2008, 03:56 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080216&content_id=2375431&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
It would be built on the site of the Orange Bowl and be ready for 2011.

steely712
02-16-2008, 05:09 PM
It will probably have a career year, and then they will trade it away for Wrigley

Lip Man 1
02-16-2008, 06:03 PM
I'll believe it when I actually see the construction starting. Remember we've heard this song before haven't we?

Lip

Hitmen77
02-16-2008, 11:18 PM
If they get this thing built, what excuse will they have next time they have a fire sale? :dunno:

MiamiSpartan
02-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Looks like it will FINALLY happen. Location is not bad, and there is also a 25,000 seat soccer stadium going in....
The whole project will help revitalize that area...close enuf to downtown to get a decent skyline view from the park....
Team will be renamed the Miami Marlins, which is what they should have been called all along...

soxfanatlanta
02-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Biggest waste of taxpayers' money since the last stadium deal in Dade County.

MiamiSpartan
02-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Biggest waste of taxpayers' money since the last stadium deal in Dade County.

Why the hate?

SoxNation05
02-17-2008, 11:36 AM
If they get this thing built, what excuse will they have next time they have a fire sale? :dunno:
I don't know but if they have another one the Sox should dig in.

cards press box
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Looks like it will FINALLY happen. Location is not bad, and there is also a 25,000 seat soccer stadium going in....
The whole project will help revitalize that area...close enuf to downtown to get a decent skyline view from the park....
Team will be renamed the Miami Marlins, which is what they should have been called all along...

Will the new stadium have a retractable roof, like Safeco or Miller Park? Given the heat in South Florida in the summer and the rain in the summer and early fall, I hope so.

DSpivack
02-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Will the new stadium have a retractable roof, like Safeco or Miller Park? Given the heat in South Florida in the summer and the rain in the summer and early fall, I hope so.

Yes, that was more or less a given.

gogosox16
02-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I haven't heard anything about changing the names, even though I believe it is a better name.

MiamiSpartan
02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
I haven't heard anything about changing the names, even though I believe it is a better name.

It's on MLB.com, as well as in the Sun-Sentinal and Miami Herald this morning...
Yes it will have a retractable roof...

Hitmen77
02-17-2008, 03:19 PM
more details:

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/422379.html

Viva Medias B's
02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm glad a 6000-seat parking garage is part of the plan. Currently, the Orange Bowl has very little parking.

steveironcity
02-17-2008, 08:15 PM
But they still have to change their mascot to an alligator and move to the AL to make the Back to the future 2 timeline correct! :smile: of course the cubs win it all :angry:

A.T. Money
02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
If this is true, then good for them. I'm sure it'll be nice.

MiamiSpartan
02-20-2008, 07:31 AM
This is closest by far that the team has come to having anything concrete with a new ballpark....
It's a decent location, not a great one, but is not too far from the Metrorail station...

ma-gaga
02-20-2008, 08:58 AM
ok. This is close but FWIW:

With the deal finally complete after two-months of intense negotiations, all that remains for the Marlins to finally begin building the stadium team owners have fought for more than a decade is a vote by city of Miami and county commissioners.
So, there's still a vote coming. The Twins stadium was close like this 2 or 3 times before it was finally approved. But the Twins stadium had to be approved by both the Minnesota House, Minnesota Senate and Govenor as well as the County Board. In general this stadium deal sounds very similar to the Twins one.

I'm trying to remember why the Twins had to go through so many hoops. ... Ah ... That's right, some "activists" passed a bill that if the City of Minneapolis spent more than $10mm that it had to be passed by a voter referendum. So they had to go through the State to bypass this. Yeah. So fun stadium games abound.

anyhow. I really dislike Loria, so I hope this doesn't pass. Or at least I hope the City gets a couple of more concessions (like another $100mm) from the owner before this deal passes.

soxfanatlanta
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I really dislike Loria, so I hope this doesn't pass. Or at least I hope the City gets a couple of more concessions (like another $100mm) from the owner before this deal passes.

Exactly. I'm guessing that the price tag will swell significantly, and it will be the county that will have to foot the bill. There are far better things to be doing with that kind of money from the public standpoint - that's why I'm hating the deal.

That, and Loria is a complete ass hat.

Viva Medias B's
02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Related to this topic, the demolition of the Orange Bowl is slated to start next month.

Railsplitter
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Ah, aliteration.

I hope they go back to teal unis.The first time I saw them in black, I mistook them for the Pirates.

DSpivack
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Ah, aliteration.

I hope they go back to teal unis.The first time I saw them in black, I mistook them for the Pirates.

I agree, they should go teal with black.

Red Barchetta
02-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Ah, aliteration.

I think they look like our SOX when they wear the black alternate jerseys with their gray road pants with black hats. I guess that's why I rooted for them when they beat the Cubs and Bartman in 2003. :D:

chisox77
02-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I think the Marlins deserve a new stadium, based on the fact that they have won two World Series titles in their 15-year history. They also have proven to compete with young talent, and the Marlins have proven that they can develop young talent. Though their payrolls have been the lowest, Miami owes them more fan support and a much better facility.

:cool:

Viva Medias B's
02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Today is the day the City of Miami and Miami-Dade County cast their respective votes for the Marlins stadium deal.

Link (http://www.miamiherald.com/589/story/427010.html)

Sockinchisox
02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
The ballpark has been approved.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080221&content_id=2383792&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Oblong
02-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I think the Marlins deserve a new stadium, based on the fact that they have won two World Series titles in their 15-year history. They also have proven to compete with young talent, and the Marlins have proven that they can develop young talent. Though their payrolls have been the lowest, Miami owes them more fan support and a much better facility.

:cool:

Miami or Florida doesn't owe them anything. They are squeezing every last dollar from the public through lies and deception. It's a travesty what has happened down there. It's a real shame that a team has to trade a guy like Cabrera.

santo=dorf
02-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm glad a 6000-seat parking garage is part of the plan. Currently, the Orange Bowl has very little parking.
What is that, like a car spot for every other person?

I hope this field is unique and not as pitcher friendly as the Orange Bowl.

Viva Medias B's
02-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Baseball has been played at the OB?

santo=dorf
02-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Baseball has been played at the OB?
Sorry, one of your previous posts made my mind slip.

PKalltheway
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Nice to see that the ballpark is finally going to be built. At least it'll put the relocation talks to rest.

MiamiSpartan
02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Miami or Florida doesn't owe them anything. They are squeezing every last dollar from the public through lies and deception. It's a travesty what has happened down there. It's a real shame that a team has to trade a guy like Cabrera.

They had to trade him, because they were getting almost NO revenue from Dolphin Stadium....How are you supposed to put money back into the team, when Huizinga is getting all the money generated from the games???
Are you a business person?

MiamiSpartan
02-24-2008, 11:14 AM

They are planning to make it pitcher friendly....

TheOldRoman
02-24-2008, 11:53 AM
They had to trade him, because they were getting almost NO revenue from Dolphin Stadium....How are you supposed to put money back into the team, when Huizinga is getting all the money generated from the games???
Are you a business person?The Marlins get around $30 million a year in revenue sharing. I don't know how much they take in with ticket sales and TV/radio, but I'm guessing it is more than the $15 million payroll they will have this year. The owners pocket the revenue sharing money. Until that slimeball Loria sells the team, it will be the same. He already said several months ago that since he was putting so much money into the stadium, fans shouldn't expect a high payroll.

MiamiSpartan
02-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Article in this morning's Herald said payroll would be more in line with the 70-80 million mark....more middle of the pack...

..and the team gets little to no money from tix, parking, etc from the stadium...that all goes to Wayne. That John Henry's biggest beef, too...

TheOldRoman
02-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Article in this morning's Herald said payroll would be more in line with the 70-80 million mark....more middle of the pack...

..and the team gets little to no money from tix, parking, etc from the stadium...that all goes to Wayne. That John Henry's biggest beef, too...the $70-80 million is just a projection, and that will be below middle of the pack by that time. The A's and Rays will have payrolls over $80 million in 4 years. Besides that, what I was referring to was a quote about the long term history of the team. The administration (I don't think it was Loria, maybe the prez or something) said payroll would be higher, but fans shouldn't get "unrealistic hopes" of them being a top 10 payroll team due to the amount of money they are putting into the new park. They will keep doing the same thing they always have. They will spend moderately when the team is looking to be competitive (maybe every 4 or 5 years, and throw up their hands and cry poor the rest of the time. The only difference is, now they won't be able to blame the stadium.

And I am not saying they have an ideal setup by any means. They could just be doing a lot more with the resources they have. There is no excuse ever for a club to pocket $30 million which was given to them to spend on payroll.

MiamiSpartan
02-25-2008, 07:18 AM
..and no one is expecting to be in top 10 payroll...

They were using the 70-80 million dollar mark with current salary structure...

MiamiSpartan
02-25-2008, 07:19 AM
the $70-80 million is just a projection, and that will be below middle of the pack by that time. The A's and Rays will have payrolls over $80 million in 4 years. Besides that, what I was referring to was a quote about the long term history of the team. The administration (I don't think it was Loria, maybe the prez or something) said payroll would be higher, but fans shouldn't get "unrealistic hopes" of them being a top 10 payroll team due to the amount of money they are putting into the new park. They will keep doing the same thing they always have. They will spend moderately when the team is looking to be competitive (maybe every 4 or 5 years, and throw up their hands and cry poor the rest of the time. The only difference is, now they won't be able to blame the stadium.

And I am not saying they have an ideal setup by any means. They could just be doing a lot more with the resources they have. There is no excuse ever for a club to pocket $30 million which was given to them to spend on payroll.

Quite frankly, most major league teams do just that, our own White Sox included in that group....

Viva Medias B's
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
The ballpark deal could be in trouble because there is a dispute between the City of Miami Police and Miami-Dade County Police over who would provide police services to the new ballpark. Millions of dollars in off duty pay are at stake.

Link (http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/446822.html)

Fenway
03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
The ballpark deal could be in trouble because there is a dispute between the City of Miami Police and Miami-Dade County Police over who would provide police services to the new ballpark. Millions of dollars in off duty pay are at stake.

Unbelievable.

I got to meet Loria a few times as we had the contract to televise road games out of Montreal and he really was a nice guy. His stepson however is a complete slimeball.

The stepson actually ran things in Montreal as Loria's weath comes from his wife. Loria runs an art gallery in Manhattan but by himself doesn't have the money.

DSpivack
03-06-2008, 10:25 PM

:rolling: