PDA

View Full Version : Glover for starter?

Soxboyrob
04-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Am I alone in thinking that Glover ought to be put back into the starter's role and one of our two rookie starters ought to be put into the pen for further development?

Glover was neither a star nor a bust as a starter last year, but usually got us to the fifth inning without getting us in too deep of a hole. As a starter, he seemed to have about as much success as Sean Lowe in that he kept the Sox in the game. Why not see if that starter we so sorely need is sitting right under our noses. Plus, spending time in the bullpen seems to have always had a positive impact on Garland. Maybe that same philosophy could work for Wright or Rauch.

hold2dibber
04-23-2002, 07:15 PM
I like it. I do not think Rauch or Wright are ready to be in the rotation but Glover may be. I'd stick Wright in the bullpen, send Rauch to Charlotte, insert Parque into the #3 slot, Glover into the #4 slot and Garland in the #5 slot (better yet, trade Rowand and/or Liefer and/or Harris and/or Hummel for a decent starter or significant bullpen help).

foulkesfan11
04-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Glover did so good last year, that I thought he would be a starter this year for sure. Heck, he can't do any worse than Wright!

bc2k
04-23-2002, 11:32 PM
Last year Glover won a lot of points with me by his solid showing in the pen and as a starter. I read recently in the Tribune that Manuel doesn't consider Glover an option now for the starting rotation but will consider Parque soon.

Personally, if the young three starters continue their ways, I would like to see Glover in the rotation with Wright in the bullpen. From what the Sox have said, Wright has closer potential, so I wound't mind seeing him there for a while and see if he can't find his groove or whatever they need to find.

FanOf14
04-23-2002, 11:44 PM
Soxboyrob stated:
>As a starter, he (Gary Glover) seemed to have about as much >success as Sean Lowe in that he kept the Sox in the game.
Glover did this fairly consistantly too.

This is more than what Garland or Wright has done this season. At this point in time I really don't think it is wise to try to develop more closers. The Sox have Foulke. They tried doing that with Josh Fogg and from what I have seen in Pitts, he hasn't been doing too bad as a starter. With that said, I think that if Wright can't cut it as a starter (or just to get him more experience), make him long relief. Or they should try what they did with Garland and K. Wells, one starts (mix any of Garland, Glover, Wright and Rauch) and the other relieves (if necessary). I know that eats up lots of pitchers, but what else can we do with what we have at this point? Also, did anyone else hear about Parque being brought up sometime in the next week? I could have sworn the news broadcaster just said that...I hope not.

Soxboyrob
04-24-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

From what the Sox have said, Wright has closer potential, so I wound't mind seeing him there for a while and see if he can't find his groove or whatever they need to find.

Yikes, Wright as a closer? If the guy can get a grip on his control problems and either increase his velocity or his command of the pitches he already throws, then maybe he can close. He definitely is starter material but until he gets his control in check, he's bad starter material.

seventytwo
04-24-2002, 04:06 PM
I'm against moving Glover to the rotation. Not because I don't think he's capable--I just think he's too valuable in the pen right now. If Osuna can continue to improve, and Marte shows that he can get guys out for 1-2 innings, I might consider it.

That is all.

cheeses_h_rice
04-24-2002, 04:27 PM
I would say tonight's a big start for Wrong. If he struggles again as he has his last 2 starts, it might be worthwhile to switch him with Glover and see what develops.

I'm not willing to grant Parque starter status until he proves himself as well.