PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset makes a good impression.

JermaineDye05
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Masset lost 25 pounds thanks to a 3 1/2-month workout program that he believes will help him maintain his strength throughout the season

Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/early-impressio.html)

rdivaldi
02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
That's nice, however I don't think too many of us think that weight/conditioning was Masset's problem last year.

jabrch
02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
It can't be a bad thing to come into camp in good shape... It doesn't mean he's a lock to do anything any better than last year - but it isn't a bad sign.

doublem23
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
He had a few early season outings that were decent, IMO.

:dunno:

At best, he could still develop into a reliable spot starter/long-relief bullpen man. Not a sexy position, but an important one.

At worst? He flames out. Life goes on.

chisoxmike
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Hopefully he won't suck.

chisoxmike
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
He had a few early season outings that were decent, IMO.

:dunno:

At best, he could still develop into a reliable spot starter/long-relief bullpen man. Not a sexy position, but an important one.

At worst? He flames out. Life goes on.

Haha. Sorry I deleted and retyped the post. :redface:
He did have some decent ones, but he also posted a +6 ERA! :o:

kittle42
02-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Can he put his ERA on a treadmill and make it shrink?

doublem23
02-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Haha. Sorry I deleted and retyped the post. :redface:
He did have some decent ones, but he also posted a +6 ERA! :o:

:cool: It's all good. The best news of all this is that Masset really isn't considered to be a critical cog in the '08 White Sox - At this point I don't even think he has a good chance of coming North with the team, so any positives that may come from this renewed level of fitness are just a bonus. If the Sox crash and burn in 2008, it's unlikely to be because Nick Masset didn't meet our lofty pre-season goals.

P.S., his ERA was north of 7 last year.

Good news is good news, people! :tongue:

Lip Man 1
02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I appreciate the fact that he came to camp in good shape but honestly, what choice did he have? He's out of options and his future as a big leaguer (especially if he was considered overweight) is in serious question.

He needs to throw strikes and get ahead of hitters if he wants to stay in the major leagues...I don't know if weight has an influence on that.

Lip

chisoxmike
02-15-2008, 05:52 PM
:cool: It's all good. The best news of all this is that Massett really isn't considered to be a critical cog in the '08 White Sox - At this point I don't even think he has a good chance of coming North with the team, so any positives that may come from this renewed level of fitness are just a bonus. If the Sox crash and burn in 2008, it's unlikely to be because Nick Massett didn't meet our lofty pre-season goals.

Yeah, it would be a surprise if Massett made the team.

I think Jenks/Dotel/Linebrink/MacDougal/Thorton/Logan/Wasserman are going to be the seven guys going north.

doublem23
I appreciate the fact that he came to camp in good shape but honestly, what choice did he have? He's out of options and his future as a big leaguer (especially if he was considered overweight) is in serious question.

He needs to throw strikes and get ahead of hitters if he wants to stay in the major leagues...I don't know if weight has an influence on that.

Lip

Improved mechanics? Better velocity?

Has there ever been an athlete in the history of the world who's performance declined because he got more physically fit?

Tekijawa
23 pounds? Is he under 100 then? He wasn't that big to begin with was he?

chisoxmike
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM

:hawk
"Media guide had him listed at 6'4, 235. Thats a big man out there on that mound D.J."

rdivaldi
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM

Masset is a big guy, listed at 6'4" 235, but I thought he looked heavier than that.

Tekijawa
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
who was I thinking of then? Maybe wasserman?

rdivaldi
02-15-2008, 05:59 PM

Has there ever been an athlete in the history of the world who's performance declined because he got more physically fit?

I'm pretty sure that getting into better physical shape is not going to improve his mechanics. Masset was a walk machine last year, that's what he needs to be concerned about.

veeter
02-15-2008, 06:04 PM
I still have high hopes for Masset. He looked way more comfortable starting, than coming in out of the pen, though.

sox1970
02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Masset talked a big game last spring too. Throw strikes.

KRS1
02-15-2008, 06:13 PM

I think Jenks/Dotel/Linebrink/MacDougal/Thorton/Logan/Wasserman are going to be the seven guys going north.

So that would leave us with Thornton as our long reliever? Not so sure I would want him in that role. However, I guess it may be for the best if Massett, Broadway, Russell, Haeger, or even Sisco are the only others that fit and will get a chance.

Corlose 15
02-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Did anyone else see the KW quote where essentially he said that they never really saw Massett's true stuff last year and he attributed it to winter ball tiring him out?

Its an interesting thing to keep an eye on. He could be a valuable swing man out of the pen.

dickallen15
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
It doesn't hurt that he's in better shape, but I agree with the posts above, he could be in the best physical shape of any human being and it won't mean jack if he doesn't throw strikes. He's never really been all that impressive numbers-wise in the minors. He was outstanding last winter in the Mexican League and the White Sox pointed out that his workload there may have cost him some MPH on his fastball. I suppose we could cling to the hope that he was pretty gassed and it screwed up his mechanics to the point where he couldn't throw a strike to save his life. I think he's a longshot but he still has a chance to help.

raven1
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
I hope he has a great spring & gets the long relief bullpen slot, since it would be a shame to lose him to waivers before seeing if he can reach his potential. The other plus of hanging onto Masset is that he could be the next in line for the 5th starter slot if injury or ineffectiveness takes out one of the starters early in the year.

UMSox
02-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you

http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/P__charles-barkley.jpg

delben91
02-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Certainly can't hurt him to show up in better shape. With any luck KW is right and he had a tired arm last season...but I won't exactly be counting on it.

thedudeabides
02-15-2008, 07:38 PM
I've always liked Masset's stuff. I think it's good enough to pitch in the majors. He just needs to learn to throw strikes.

I remember Steve Stone raving about him in spring training last year. That never really came to fruition during the regular season. He did seem a bit out of place while pitching in the bullpen.

Anything you get from Masset is a bonus in my eyes.

kaufsox
02-15-2008, 08:06 PM

you could make the case with David Duval, but I think had a lot more to do with his head.

Brian26
02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
It should be an interesting Spring Training after the Joe Crede trade. I really have a feeling Noah Lowry will be acquired soon as our 4th (or 3rd in front of Contreras) starter. Not sure if Danks or Floyd will be the odd man out.

cards press box
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM

But Masset is out of options and MacDougal is not. And Kenny Williams has said that he doesn't think we have seen the real Nick Masset yet which, I surmise, is a nice way of saying that he underperformed last year. If Masset has a strong spring and MacDougal is so-so, I could easily see Masset making the club and MacDougal going to Charlotte.

KRS1
02-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Are people positive about Masset being out of options? I remember seeing on another site an explanation of why he wasn't. He has only been called up to the bigs in two seasons.

California Sox
02-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that getting into better physical shape is not going to improve his mechanics. Masset was a walk machine last year, that's what he needs to be concerned about.

It can't hurt. Mechanics are going to be a lot easier to maintain if you're in better shape.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2008, 09:04 PM
For what it's worth Ozzie was quoted on Chicago Tribune Live! as saying Danks and Floyd need to perform or else. They'll get the first look but he said he can't screw around...he said Broadway and Massett are other options.

Lip

INSox56
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Did anyone else see the KW quote where essentially he said that they never really saw Massett's true stuff last year and he attributed it to winter ball tiring him out?

Its an interesting thing to keep an eye on. He could be a valuable swing man out of the pen.

I remember Steve Stone raving about him in spring training last year. That never really came to fruition during the regular season. He did seem a bit out of place while pitching in the bullpen.

I remember this as well; I remember specifically him saying that Massett really was the star of that trade for Brandon actually. He may not be the greatest judge of talent that's ever lived, but Stoney knows his **** pretty well.

Navarro's Talent
02-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Hopefully, Massett has a very strong spring training. If he can throw strikes, he would be a great option for long-relief.

fozzy
02-16-2008, 12:51 AM
i don't see how this is anything other then a positive. you have three spots in the rotation that are question marks and 2-3 spots in the bullpen that need to be earned not given away. a youngster that is out of options showing up in great shape should make alot of our pitchers that have been living on reputation or fat contracts sweat.

peeonwrigley
02-16-2008, 02:14 AM
For what it's worth Ozzie was quoted on Chicago Tribune Live! as saying Danks and Floyd need to perform or else. They'll get the first look but he said he can't screw around...he said Broadway and Massett are other options.

Lip

If those two suck, we'll go to our other shaky options. Great.

I'd feel a lot better about this season with one more proven starting pitcher.

IlliniSox4Life
02-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Sure, he might not actually make the team, but I like to see some thirst in our locker room again.

If nothing else, this will push the other guys whose roster spot he's trying to take.

KyWhiSoxFan
02-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm willing to give Masset the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do this spring . The Sox surely need a long reliever, and he could fit the bill. That said, I don't know who is cut if Masset makes the roster. Maybe they trade MacDougal with Crede to get rid of some more salary.

soxinem1
02-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Lip

Last year he showed up with no fastball, no curve ball, and a huge spare tire.

Amazing how some guys get a chance to do something many kids and grown men only dream of, and they just don't think anything of it.

Over-rated then, out of the organization within 60 days.

btrain929
02-17-2008, 01:01 AM
who was I thinking of then? Maybe wasserman?

Probably. That guy weighs about 107 lbs soaking wet with boots on.

But seriously, if Masset can pound the strike zone in spring training, that could open up:

1) Him being our long man in our pen, and Macdougal being traded by himself or along with Crede to make room.
2) Masset getting traded to someone with openings in the back of their bullpen or rotation.

Not that a huge amount of success should be expected, but the last few people that came into spring training and reportedly lost a lot of weight and were in great shape (Buehrle and Jenks) had themselves a hell of a year. Is his talent similar to theirs? No. But it's definitely good to hear.

Chicken Dinner
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Masset will be a throw in with the Joe Crede trade.:o: