PDA

View Full Version : Favorite American League park to visit?

doublem23
02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I think the title is self-explanatory.

chisoxmike
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Hmmm, of the AL parks, I've only been to Comerica, Garbage Dome (Twins), & KC.

I'm going to tour Seattle's in a few weeks when I go to Seattle and I'm going to the Angels stadium in May.

Of the one's I've been to in the AL, Comerica hands down.

Mr.1Dog
02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Safeco has been my favorite thus far.

FedEx227
02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Wow looking at that list I just realize the AL is full of a lot of really, really ****ty ballparks.

doublem23
02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow looking at that list I just realize the AL is full of a lot of really, really ****ty ballparks.

Yeah, then compare to the list of N.L. ballparks... At least we have better players. :o:

jenn2080
02-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Jacobs.

C-Dawg
02-15-2008, 01:17 PM
I did a double take when I saw that "Progressive Field" in Cleveland. I must've missed the memo on re-naming it. Reminds me of the next-door "Quicken Loans Arena"...

chisox77
02-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Gotta love the Trop!!

Awesome for a dome.

gogosox16
02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Have to go with fenway, greatest field ever, I'm going back this year when the Sox are playing the Sox

Chrisaway
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
The only other AL park I've been to is Cleveland so they win by default. Hope to visit Kauffman and Comerica this summer.

captainclutch24
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Angel Stadium

asindc
02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Definitely Camden Yards, followed by Coors Field, then Jacobs Field.

skottyj242
02-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Gotta be Cleveland, followed by closely by Camden. I am going to Detroit the first weekend of the season.

kaufsox
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Cleveland won by default for me. I've only visited Fenway, Yankee and Jacobs/Progressive and I thought Fenway and Yankee Stadium were dumps.

MeteorsSox4367
02-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Camden Yards. I was able to go there in '97 to see the O's play Cleveland in a pair of doubleheaders. Beautiful park, nice sightlines, love the warehouse in right field.

Last summer when I was in DC, I stopped in Baltimore on the way to the airport and walked around Camden. They've also added a Maryland Sports Hall of Fame behind the ballpark in CF that had some neat artifacts.

I know the O's have been mediocre to awful recently, but Camden Yards is just a gorgeous place to watch baseball.

delben91
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I enjoy Fenway and Yankee Stadium just for the sense of history I get thinking about all the great players that played on those fields. The stadiums themselves don't necessarily thrill me, but the playing surfaces themselves are impressive.

In terms of the overall ballpark experience, I love Camden Yards.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm taking Fenway Park over over Camden Yards by a narrow margin. Both parks are beautiful, but Fenway wins out because of its history.

Then again, if Fenway didn't even choose Fenway, maybe I have it all wrong.

DoItForDanPasqua
02-15-2008, 08:22 PM
If Danryan ever reads this, I would love to know why you chose Rogers Centre. Did you conceive a child there? Do you own Rogers stock? Is this some sort of Canadian nationalism thing?

I have to know.

cards press box
02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I voted for Comerica because it is an excellent park and, unlike most of the other post-Camden new stadia, it is a pitcher's park. Safeco is also a pitcher's park but I haven't been there yet. I hope to go one of these days; it looks like a terrific ballpark.

I'm not surprised that no one voted for the Metrodome. That park is just awful. I went to a great series there in August 2005 (the Sox took two out of three and Freddy Garcia threw a one-hitter in the 1-0 loss) but that park is not a good venue for baseball.

I didn't think much of Yankee Stadium, either. I would have like to have visited the park prior to the 1970's renovations. Yankee Stadium seemed to have the worst of all worlds: the shell of an ancient ballpark surrounding a bad 1970's stadium on the inside.

whitesoxwilkes
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Camden is definitely #1. I've made the trip out there 5 years in a row.

Second would be a tie between Jacobs and Safeco.

pierzynski07
02-15-2008, 11:15 PM
If you visit the park just to see WrestleMania, does it still count?

WagMan
02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Still wrapping up my tour of AL central stadiums (finishing with Twinkie dome this year). Comerica was the nicest park to visit, just didn't like everything around it. Also, making my way out to Yankee stadium to check it out at least once before they tear her down.

DSpivack
02-16-2008, 12:13 AM
If Danryan ever reads this, I would love to know why you chose Rogers Centre. Did you conceive a child there? Do you own Rogers stock? Is this some sort of Canadian nationalism thing?

I have to know.

Well, I didn't vote for it, but I actually liked the SkyDome the one time I visited Toronto (for two games a number of years ago, one vs Baltimore, one vs Cleveland). We sat in club-level seats that were padded for what was $11 US at the time, plus there were cool bars where you could sit and watch the game from on the concourse. That said, it seems much better suited for football, and if you were stuck in the upper deck it'd be a nightmare.

Out of the other AL parks, I've only been to the SkyDome (excuse me...Rogers Centre) and Comerica. Comerica was nice, although not particularly memorable.

About two months from tomorrow I'll switch my vote to Camden Yards. :cool:

moochpuppy
02-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Gotta love the Trop!!

Awesome for a dome.

Really? I've heard nothing but bad things about that place. I am hoping to get up there for a game this summer when the Sox come to town.

Steelrod
02-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Kaufman, makes me feel like I'm home at the cell!

tick53
02-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I went with Yankee Stadium only for the historical value. It's gonna be gone soon too.

NDSox12
02-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I've been to all of them, so I've gotta throw in my two cents. My vote in the AL is for Camden Yards. Great park, great atmosphere and even pretty respectful fans, for the most part.

I've seen most of the Sox games in Baltimore the last five years. This year could be tough with both of the series being during the week, but I hope to make it up there for a few of them.

Fenway
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm taking Fenway Park over over Camden Yards by a narrow margin. Both parks are beautiful, but Fenway wins out because of its history.

Then again, if Fenway didn't even choose Fenway, maybe I have it all wrong.

You can't visit your own home :tongue:

Yes Fenway has issues but the park as we know it today was built in 1934. Most of the 1912 park burnt down and Yawkey had to rebuild it. In another year it will be the only AL park that Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb played in left.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/journal/fenway_fire.asp

Southsider101
02-16-2008, 04:16 PM
I give Safeco the very slight edge over Camden Yards. Putting a lid over the park rather than a traditonal retractable roof was a master stoke. The sight lines are excellent and like most new ball parks, it never feels crowded when the M's handle a large crowd. Next to the Cell and Camden Yards, the food is outstanding. The seafood certainly beats the dreck they sell at Fenway. However, I'll always have a soft spot for Boog Powell's ribs at Camden Yards.

C-Dawg
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Yankee Stadium seemed to have the worst of all worlds: the shell of an ancient ballpark surrounding a bad 1970's stadium on the inside.

You described it quite well! There's no mistaking those 1975-era features as you're standing outside waiting to go in, but once inside it looks like a 1920s theatre with narrow corridors and stairs. A real mishmash of styles. Also, the 1975 renovations are really showing their age nowadays. People complained about how the blue seats at the Cell faded - well, those have nothing on Yankee Stadium's seats. They look like they're about 50 different shades of pastel blue.

However, its still a great place to see a game and tons of fun. I recommend it to anyone who is still on the fence about going to see it before its gone.

soxwon
02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Hmmm, of the AL parks, I've only been to Comerica, Garbage Dome (Twins), & KC.

I'm going to tour Seattle's in a few weeks when I go to Seattle and I'm going to the Angels stadium in May.

Of the one's I've been to in the AL, Comerica hands down.

Comerica sucks, it looks like a circus.
clev rules has much more to do.