PDA

View Full Version : Sox parents - I Need some help.

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Ok so I'm dying to take my daughter to her first game this year sometime in June. which puts her around 10 months.

My wife says the only way she's dealing with all that is if we get lucky enough to be invited again to a suite because its easier to handle her in a space like that.

I'm not so sure and was wondering, fellow parents out there the pros and cons
of bringing a stroller baby (i know strollers arent allowed in) to a game in mid-summer.

The floor is open... and thanks ahead of time..

KenBerryGrab
02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Be ready to walk the concourse if she's fussy. Pack that Baby Bjorn!

The heat can be an issue.

nug0hs
02-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Not a parent, but here are some ideas:

1) Get tickets for the end of a row so you don't have to obstruct people if you need to quickly get up.
2) Try for the lower deck so you don't have to go up all the ramps/elevators with her.
3) Try finding a game time when she will be napping. Does she nap mid afternoon? If so, a 3:05 game would be great.

good luck!

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
The Baby Bjorn is a given either way. She's 18 lbs now and carrying her around in a few months will be tiring.

She naps around 2. I was looking at Sunday afternoon as a possibility.

Jaffar
02-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I waited and my son was like 2 1/2 when he went to his first game and he did so well we went a lot last season. I'm really looking forward to taking him this year even though he took full advantage of the fundamentals deck last year. I'm having a daughter in April though and I'm not sure if I would take her earlier or not, I'm curious to hear what others have to say about taking the little ones.

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I waited and my son was like 2 1/2 when he went to his first game and he did so well we went a lot last season. I'm really looking forward to taking him this year even though he took full advantage of the fundamentals deck last year. I'm having a daughter in April though and I'm not sure if I would take her earlier or not, I'm curious to hear what others have to say about taking the little ones.

Congrats the the upcoming birth of your baby girl!
Maybe an Opening Day baby...
yeh I'm looking for the pitfalls of bringing a youngin to the game. The heat is a good point as well and I think thats my wife's main concern.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Our son was 7 months at his first game. Of course, it was an April night game and he hadn't had a nap that day. Terrible experience and we left in the 4th. We took him to the afternoon game the next day and he had no problems whatsoever. He made it 27 games that season (2006).

Our daughter was even younger: 5 months. She hit up about 20 games last year.

We got lucky as the crowd noise sort of overwhelmed their sense and they passed out for most of the game. Other than a couple diaper changes a breast feeding, we sat in our seats the whole time.

Tough call on aisle seats. Sure, you can get up easy but at the same time you need to get up everytime someone wants to get out. If you have a fussy kid, go aisle. If your kid is a little angel, go for middle of the row. Definietly go with the shade seats. Our kids were the whole reason we got our season tickets on the first base side. A baby in the hot sun is a total drag.

KenBerryGrab
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
If you do plan on an afternoon game, shoot for the first base side to stay out of the sun.

We found that a Saturday 6 p.m. start was good. Our guy (11 months at the time) was up and happy at the start, and then he was down for the count about the fifth inning. Of course, we beat it out of there before the fireworks.

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
This thread will be great to hear all this but now I just found out Ive been invited to a Suite 1b side from my contact for the Father's day game vs Colorado so looks like she'll be goin to her first game in style. But that doesnt mean dad here might not want to try another game so keep the insight coming..

Tekijawa
02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Zach's first game was Buhrle's 100th win. Our tickets were in 159 last year, it was about a million degrees and we spent most of the day with him in the baby Bjorn and walking the concourse, he was about 7 months at the time and spent most of the time napping, make sure you have lots of diapers and lots of fluids, even to just dump over them to cool them down.

Gammons Peter
02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Be prepared to walk a lot. my kid is 6 years old and he still can't sit for more than a few innings at a time. I've been bringing him to games his whole life.

There is a "family" bathroom on the concourse in the right field corner (near the ramp) that you'll want to use. It's for one or two people but it's big enough to bring a stroller into and you can lock the door. The line is never more than a person or two but its nice because its private.

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Zach's first game was Buhrle's 100th win. Our tickets were in 159 last year, it was about a million degrees and we spent most of the day with him in the baby Bjorn and walking the concourse, he was about 7 months at the time and spent most of the time napping, make sure you have lots of diapers and lots of fluids, even to just dump over them to cool them down.

You had to be about 150 degrees in that Bjorn.... The rain room might be a nice quick visit.

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
There is a "family" bathroom on the concourse in the right field corner (near the ramp) that you'll want to use. It's for one or two people but it's big enough to bring a stroller into and you can lock the door. The line is never more than a person or two but its nice because its private.

You can bring strollers?

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
You can bring strollers?

Absolutely. You can check it with Guest Services behind home plate if you want. We use a collapsable umbrella stroller at the games and it fits right under our seats. Very convienenet as we can push him around whenever we want and can avoid the long line at Guest Services after the game.

Another advantage to the stroller is that you don't have to go through the turnstyle. If there is some huge line to get in, you can bypass the whole thing. If there is a giveaway that day, the attendent will go over to the turnstyle and get you the prize.

Law11
02-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Absolutely. You can check it with Guest Services behind home plate if you want. We use a collapsable umbrella stroller at the games and it fits right under our seats. Very convienenet as we can push him around whenever we want and can avoid the long line at Guest Services after the game.

Now thats some good news... Thanks.. I guess i could have just checked on the sox site but its good to know.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Now thats some good news... Thanks.. I guess i could have just checked on the sox site but its good to know.

An umbrella stroller works great. I would never want to bring to the ballpark those giant off-road vehicles that manufacturers are passing off as strollers these days.

Law11
02-15-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265738

This is the one we just bought. havent gotten to use it much yet
but seems to fit the bill well for an day outing like this.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265738

This is the one we just bought. havent gotten to use it much yet
but seems to fit the bill well for an day outing like this.

We have somthing similar to this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2536211

Totally bare-bones.

I personally haven't seen the stroller you linked but just looking at it, I would think it would be hard to fit under the seats. Ours just barely fits.

MushMouth
02-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Agree with the sentiments in this thread. Use the Bjorn, be prepared to walk around and/or leave early. But last year, my young son (7 months) enjoyed the day games I took him too.

anewman35
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
We took our daughter to her first game last year when she was about 9 or 10 months. It was a day game on a very nice day, and she generally really loved it. She was smiling and clapping and waving at people the whole time (it probably helps that she's generally a very friendly and happy baby). We took an umbrella stroller and folded it under our seats, and I can't really recall any problems. Make sure to stop by guest services and get them to print a certificate saying she attended his (or her, I forget) first game (a good tip I got from here).

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Make sure to stop by guest services and get them to print a certificate saying she attended his (or her, I forget) first game (a good tip I got from here).

Excellent point.

In case you forget, you can always go back at some later date and they will print one up for you. Just tell them the date and who the opponent was.

Also, try to stop by Nancy's booth. She's a sucker for babies.:D:

jabrch
02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I wasn't so interested in bringing either of my newborns to a game. While it is totally a parents right to do so, I just don't feel safe with my kids at a park. Too much stuff, too potentially dangerous for me. Who knows what a foul ball will do...how about a drunk somewhere... I guess your wife's point about a skybox is ok. That's a different story. I don't plan on bringing my kids this summer either. I'd rather do other things with them at this time, and save the ballgame for adult time...

whitesoxwilkes
02-15-2008, 01:09 PM
My wife has grand visions of bringing Vance to every single game we go to this year.

I'm deadset against that idea.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 01:10 PM
My wife has grand visions of bringing Vance to every single game we go to this year.

I'm deadset against that idea.

Your wife is wise (and also the boss).

cws05champ
02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
A lot of good suggestions on here, the umbrella stoller staying out of the sun etc. I brought my daughter to her first game when she was only 3 months old. It was in Tampa for a Rays/Sox game...We just made sure to stay out of range of any batted balls and the crowd was relatively sparse.

Pick a game that you would not mind missing, as you or your wife will be up and down and walking around all the time, and you will probably have to leave early under the Boss's direction.

I have a 5 yr old girl and a 12 month old boy who runs and climbs on everything so it will be tough to go to any games this year with the whole family.

itsnotrequired
02-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Another idea is to go to a less-popular day game and get seats upstairs. If the crowd is sparse, you can go off into your own area. Sure, the view won't be as good but you can spread out and enjoy yourselves.

soxgirl617
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Another idea is to get tickets in the club level. The concourse up there is air conditioned, so if it gets hot you can bring the baby into the cool air. Additionally, the concourse on the club level is good for a toddler to run around on and work off some steam. Enjoy!

Save McCuddy's
02-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I brought my daughter for her first birthday. Fantastic results. We got club level seats which enables you or your wife to let the child sprawl out in the carpeted area as needed. Better bathroom access on that level is also a huge plus.

We chose a September Sunday afternoon game which are typically laid abck -- especially if we're out of the race. We also called White Sox charities and got a birthdayday message for the scoreboard.

AZChiSoxFan
02-15-2008, 06:37 PM
we took our oldest to her first game when she was 10 months old and she did fine. We had an umbrella stroller and it didn't take long and she sacked out in that. Then, we took her back again when she was 13 months old and it didn't go so well. The difference was that at 10 months she wasn't walking and at 13 months she was. At her second game, all she wanted to do was walk around everywhere.

I'm with jabrch on this one though. While I have no problem at all with anyone bringing a child of any age to a game, I would rather leave my kids with a sitter and focus my attention fully on the game. I'm anxious for my kids to get older so that they can understand and enjoy baseball the way I do.

Law11
02-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Some great insight on this. Her first game will luckily now be in a suite on Fathers Day. I never had the intention of really watching the game since it would be all about her first experience, pictures, video etc...

Being in the suite will obviously make bathrooms, room to move around much easier.

But the highlights Ive grabbed form this thread are:
Prepare for the heat/1b side is preferable
Bring the baby bjorn and easy to store umbrella stroller.
be prepared to walk around and not catch much of the game.

thanks for the info all.

GO SOX!!

Frontman
02-15-2008, 08:45 PM
One thing I'd recommend (and this is more common sense, but I see it all the time.)

Don't sit too close to the action, especially foul ball territory. For an adult, a line drive (or the errant flying bat) could be a serious injury. A baby? It could be deadly.

But every year I see newborns and small toddlers up real close to the action. They're too young to appreciate it; and if they're Sox fans the rest of their lives, buy the better tickets when they can remember the game!

And no, you don't get to watch a lot of the game when you have kids. If you can get through 3 innings, that's amazing with a 5 year old. Although the Pontiac deck does have a nice view; you spend more time keeping your eye on your kid.

steff
02-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Ok so I'm dying to take my daughter to her first game this year sometime in June. which puts her around 10 months.

My wife says the only way she's dealing with all that is if we get lucky enough to be invited again to a suite because its easier to handle her in a space like that.

of bringing a stroller baby (i know strollers arent allowed in) to a game in mid-summer.

Since when are strollers not allowed?

As for taking her to the game, I say go for it anytime, but it's totally personaly pref. Only you know your babies mood, temperment, and tolerance level. We've taken all ages and as long as you are willing to adapt to their mood and are prepared (snacks, juice, and likely missing a bit of the game) then you should be fine. Have fun.

steff
02-16-2008, 07:46 AM

Another advantage to the stroller is that you don't have to go through the turnstyle. If there is some huge line to get in, you can bypass the whole thing. If there is a giveaway that day, the attendent will go over to the turnstyle and get you the prize.

Whew... that would have been a bad rule change.

Over By There
02-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I took my son for the first time when he was probably around 8 months.

The Baby Bjorn is a must. As of others have said, try to get in an area where you're at low risk for foul balls (we bought tickets in the upper deck and found a comfortable spot). Also, be aware that the baby may get freaked out by fireworks after a home run (my son did).

Oh, and be sure to deck that baby out in Sox gear. You'll get lots of attention. :cool:

Parrothead
02-16-2008, 08:18 AM
I would suggest get a sitter and leave the kid at home. Enjoy the game your selves. The kid will not remember being there, they wil lbe more of a pain then it is worth. Wait til about 4 or five to bring the kid, a much more enjoyable day for all.

itsnotrequired
02-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I would suggest get a sitter and leave the kid at home. Enjoy the game your selves. The kid will not remember being there, they wil lbe more of a pain then it is worth. Wait til about 4 or five to bring the kid, a much more enjoyable day for all.

I don't know man, having an infant sleeping in your arms while watching the game is a pretty sweet feeling. Hell, our son caught a t-shirt from the pride crew while sleeping at the game. He was in skottyj242's arms. The shirt bounced off of skotty's stoic face and onto my son.

KenBerryGrab
02-16-2008, 11:19 AM
We had our guy at 10 months at the Metrodome in a full-on home uni pinstripe jumper in 2000. The Sox fans at Minny often gather down the right field line by the Sox bullpen, and we were in the first row. (Well down the line from those hot shots.)

He was on WGN sleeping in my wife's arms (with me wisely cut out of the frame). We got autographs on his hat from Garland and BobBY Howry.
Art Kusnyer threw us a ball at game's end.

Only bad part was me yelling "JB!" to Baldwin as he walked by, as I carried our guy in the Bjorn. Big screaming cry ensues. Heads pop around. Nice job, Dad.

soxinem1
02-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Not a parent, but here are some ideas:

1) Get tickets for the end of a row so you don't have to obstruct people if you need to quickly get up.
2) Try for the lower deck so you don't have to go up all the ramps/elevators with her.
3) Try finding a game time when she will be napping. Does she nap mid afternoon? If so, a 3:05 game would be great.

good luck!

All excellent ideas.

I took my son to his first game in 1995 when he was two months old. He was very calm and enjoyed everything, then started 'protesting' in the bottom of the 7th inning. What stamina! I knew he would be a pitcher then!

And of course, today he is an All-Star Little League pitcher, 3B, 1B, and C!

Standing Ovation
02-16-2008, 03:53 PM
I'd suggest making a "practice run" at one of the local minor league games. Cheaper, just as fun (if not more) for the child, closer to the action, etc. My then 2 year old son loved going to a Kane County Cougars game at the end of last season. He'll be ready for his first Sox game this year, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

thepaulbowski
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM

I took my little guy to his first game at 5 weeks and have gone many times since. The upperdeck is nice because it is not as congested as the lower deck, but you can't see the game if you need to go for a walk. Plan on having to feed her while you are there as it also helps occupy the young one for a bit. Don't go on a fireworks night. Just relax and have a good time.

thepaulbowski
02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Also go guest relations and you get a certificate for the young ones first game. It's nothing special, but nice to get.