PDA

View Full Version : Task for WSIers

gobears1987
02-14-2008, 03:45 PM
We have all seen the intro video the Sox use before each game. Most of us love the video. One thing that has always bugged me is that I don't know what all of the clips represent. They show historic moments and a younger fan such as myself can't even hope to recognize half of the moments or players on the video. It bugs me as a fan. I should know my team's history better.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2mVStj4dVJY

I have the link to the 2006 video here. Let's see if some of the older and wiser fans here can help pinpoint each of the dozens of moments on this video. I know I can only point out a few such as Horlen's no-no, clinching the pennant in 59, etc. I know most of the stuff from the 90s and this decade but am clueless in reference to most of what comes beforehand.

BRDSR
02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Good post.

Unfortunately, I'm as useless as you in actually answering the quesiton. But I will monitor the thread, because I'm interested.

WhiteSox5187
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Lip knows what most of them are from, I could probably point out a few but I'd need a frame by frame look at it.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Not only do I know most of them but I can give you the exact dates! (sick I know...) if someone can break it down here on line, I can caption the plays and players for you.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-14-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't care. I can watch that video 100 times and it still gives me goosebumps.

I can't wait for baseball.

FedEx227
02-15-2008, 02:07 AM
I seriously get MAJOR goosebumps every time. Even at the park, here watching it now... it's amazing. I even tear up sometimes... which is ridiculous, but I'm man enough to admit and it's only usually when I'm at a game with my dad.

esbrechtel
02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I noticed the Uribe dive into the stands was NOT part of the 06 video but I know that it was part of the 07 video...I'm really surprised...next to the Fisk double play that is one of the greatest white sox "web gems" of all time

gobears1987
02-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I noticed the Uribe dive into the stands was NOT part of the 06 video but I know that it was part of the 07 video...I'm really surprised...next to the Fisk double play that is one of the greatest white sox "web gems" of all timeThe Fisk double play only occurred because the Centerfielder misplayed the ball, right?

Lip Man 1
02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Here you go folks:

August 2, 1985- An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history. With Britt Burns on the mound, Rickey Henderson slams a double to left center over the head of Luis Salazar. Yankee base runners Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra get confused because it looked like Salazar might have been able to make the catch. Meacham stumbles running the bases and is nearly passed by Berra. Both runners get hung up and attempt to score as Salazar’s relay throw is caught by Ozzie Guillen and fired to Carlton Fisk at the plate. Fisk then tags out and knocks down BOTH Meacham and Berra one / two as they attempt to score. That’s two for the price of one at home plate! To cap things off the Sox win the game 6-5 in 11 innings.

Lip

alohafri
02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I seriously get MAJOR goosebumps every time. Even at the park, here watching it now... it's amazing. I even tear up sometimes... which is ridiculous, but I'm man enough to admit and it's only usually when I'm at a game with my dad.

I do too. I was practically bawling when they showed it at game one of the World Series and at Opening Day 2006.

sox1970
02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
I do too. I was practically bawling when they showed it at game one of the World Series and at Opening Day 2006.

It was the grilled onions..

Jurr
02-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh man..Opening Day '06....when they did the banner ceremony, I had all kinds of problems holding myself together.

ktssox
02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here, but can someone please explain the base throwing incident (about 1:55 in)? Must have been early- to mid-80s, based on uniform.

WhiteSox5187
02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance here, but can someone please explain the base throwing incident (about 1:55 in)? Must have been early- to mid-80s, based on uniform.
That was LaRussa in '83...about August I think (I remember Lip posting something about it last year :cool:)

Lip Man 1
02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
KTS:

Here you go:

August 14, 1983- Carlton Fisk appeared to hit a go ahead home run in the 5th inning off the Orioles Scott McGregor only to have home plate umpire Jim Evans overrule 3rd base umpire Greg Kosc and say it was a ground rule double. The decision was based on the impression that a fan appeared to have leaned over the wall to catch it. The Sox wind up losing 2-1. That fan then called Jimmy Piersallís radio show afterwards to give his side of the story. TV replays showed he was not leaning over the wall when he caught the ball. Manager Tony LaRussa went ballistic.. arguing, kicking dirt, then taking the 3rd base bag out of itís position and flinging it towards the Sox dugout. Naturally he was thrown out for it. Just another in a series of bizarre plays that took place against Baltimore down through the years.

Lip

skottyj242
02-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh man..Opening Day '06....when they did the banner ceremony, I had all kinds of problems holding myself together.

My dad and I were sitting next to each other and he was taking pictures of everything. We were both near tears until......we found out I didn't have the memore card in my camera so all the pictures didn't save.

Frontman
02-15-2008, 05:07 PM
I love the intro and is one of my favorite experiences in sports, but I do have to admit how funny it is to be in person, with the music going, last year's part of Hawk's "Way Back you can put it on the board, yes," the opening of Thunderstruck, Gene's "White Sox fans, on your feet!," the intros, the fireworks. Man, I'm pumped.

Then for the first batter, Gene Honda is about as calm and as dry as you can get.

:wink:

chisox77
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I love that intro . . . it's the best!

:cool:

PalehosePlanet
02-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Not only do I know most of them but I can give you the exact dates! (sick I know...) if someone can break it down here on line, I can caption the plays and players for you.

Lip

Lip, who is the Sox player that does the back-and-forth dance in the locker room after the '59 clincher? I've seen that clip a million times through the years and not just on highlights of the Sox. Some old timers I've spoken too have said Sherm Lollar, some Dick Donavan; any idea?

sullythered
02-15-2008, 08:35 PM
They need to go back to using "Elk Hunt" into "He's a Pirate" for the songs over the intro. It was way better in '05. I would crank those tunes followed by "Thunderstruck" and "Nah Nah Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye) before heading over to TC's Sports Pub for every playoff game that year.:smile:

Excuse my nostalgia.

Lip Man 1
02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Palehose:

The Sox player dancing with the fedora on his head is none other then "Jungle" Jim Rivera. Nellie Fox is one of the players looking on sitting on the stool amused.

The scene took place in the locker room right after the 59 clinching.

Lip

soxfanreggie
02-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Definitely feel the energy when I see this compilation.

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
I think my favorite part of this video is that half second clip of Buehrle spraying champagne right at the camera.

pearso66
02-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Opening day 06 got me big time. All through that season I got teary eyed watching it. I think the thing that was the biggest was the "And the White Sox are World Champs" or something like that, I don't remember the saying right now. Last years got me a couple times, but nothing like 06

Rockman218
02-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't care. I can watch that video 100 times and it still gives me goosebumps.

I can't wait for baseball.

I second that.

areilly
02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
There's a quick shot of Bo doing a fist-pump rounding the bases - does anyone know whether this is from his first at-bat back, or was this from the cruise missile he launched in the 1993 clincher?

sox1970
02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
There's a quick shot of Bo doing a fist-pump rounding the bases - does anyone know whether this is from his first at-bat back, or was this from the cruise missile he launched in the 1993 clincher?

Clincher. He hit the ball so high, he was well past 1st base when the ball landed in the seats.