PDA

View Full Version : O's will scout Uribe

Sockinchisox
02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
A blurb in Gonzales' newest article says the O's plan to scout Uribe in case Luis Hernandez has a bad spring.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080213-white-sox-pitching-chicago,1,6567441.story

Baltimore will scout the Sox's Juan Uribe in case 23-year-old Luis Hernandez falters as Miguel Tejada's replacement at shortstop. Uribe lost his starting job to Orlando Cabrera.

DSpivack
02-14-2008, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Uribe at SS when I see the Sox in April...at Camden Yards. :cool:

Chilli Palmer
02-14-2008, 01:43 AM
:supernana::supernana:

guillen4life13
02-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Could be really good if things don't work out with Hernandez in Baltimore. I wonder what kind of return the White Sox could expect for him especially if he has a decent showing in spring. I'd doubt we'd get much considering it would be more of a salary dump than anything else. Uribe is a top notch defender (when his head is in the game) and has some pop but the K's and OBP are just hideous.

I always thought that Uribe's biggest problem is his patience at the plate, and his swing always seems like he's putting everything into it (off balance follow through) to go for the homer instead of going for a liner shot. Strong uppercut motion, and I'm no hitting expert but I can see that.

I really hope Richar and/or Ramirez give a strong showing in ST. My ideal situation is Richar getting the 2B job with Ramirez being groomed to take over CF (if Cabrera re-signs, in which case either Ramirez gets traded, or one of the power hitters moves into Thome's DH slot) or SS (if Cabrera doesn't sign an extension).

I wonder, though, how prepared Uribe is going to be for Spring Training. I might be making a bigger deal out of it than need be, but I hope Hriniak's presence in ST has a strong influence on certain hitters who might be able to benefit from his coaching. Uribe could be one of them, though as I said, I'm no expert. Maybe he just needs a different opinion on his hitting mechanics as far as seeing the ball and leveling out his swing. Even doing a downward swing to get that topspin as Hriniak preaches. I know it's a huge change from his current uppercut motion, but I wonder how such a change would help him see the ball and get more line drives for a higher average and walk rate.

I kind of think that Greg Walker is going to be on the hot seat this year. If the bats don't wake up by mid-May, he is going to be the first to get replaced before any major players get traded. This team's offense, on paper, is just too good and talented to repeat last year's pathetic results.

santo=dorf
02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
I know it's wrong to root for an injury, but that's pretty much what we need if we want to get something of value for Uribe or Crede. Then again we did a pretty good Pittsburgh Pirates impression last year when Chase Utley went down.

turners56
02-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Uribe's only good as a guy who plays 3 days a week (we saw in 04). Once he gets too many at bats and knows he has the starting job, he stops trying and starts to play bad defense and swing at everything. Give him somewhat of a challenge and the guy will produce for you. I think he can thrive this year with Cabrera locking up SS, so he'd have to play at best a platoon or as a middle infield utiliity man, which he will probably do. But, we already have Ozuna, so Uribe is almost useless to the White Sox.

eriqjaffe
02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
So I guess this means that a Uribe for Brian Roberts deal is a given.

btrain929
02-14-2008, 10:18 AM
I've been saying this all winter that its a natural fit. They have a young unproven SS there after Tejada left. Uribe is only on a 1 year contract. Let the younger kid groom a little more and be that much more ready in '09 at SS.

Uribe, Richar, Masset, and Macdougal for Roberts. Get it done, KW!

Gammons Peter
02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Big deal, non story. We wont get any value for him, just a little payroll flexibility (depending on how much of his salary we eat)

I think I would rather keep him at ss once a week and twice a week at 2b

dickallen15
02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't know why this is even a story. Don't all teams scout all players?

PalehosePlanet
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Big deal, non story. We wont get any value for him, just a little payroll flexibility (depending on how much of his salary we eat)

Me too. Since it would just be a salary dump at this point and would not net us anything of value in return, why trade him?

At least with him on the bench we have a viable defensive replacement in case of injury at SS, 2B and 3B, which we haven't had in a couple of years. Ozuna, simply put, is a defensive liability at SS and 3B.

Again, if we dump him, it would only be to save money, not to improve the team, so what's the point?

kittle42
02-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I know it's wrong to root for an injury, but that's pretty much what we need if we want to get something of value for Uribe or Crede. Then again we did a pretty good Pittsburgh Pirates impression last year when Chase Utley went down.

Iguchi had no value.

Uribe has about the same value.

I'd expect about the same return.

goon
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Yep. Unless Williams needs to get rid of his salary to make additional moves, I don't see how having Uribe on the bench does anything but increase our depth. He can play SS or 2B if someone needs rest or there is an injury, a decent power bat as a pinch hitter, more than capable defensively...

I think most people's fears about having Uribe on this roster is that Ozzie will make him an everyday starter at 2B.

Make him earn playing time, maybe he'll actually have some good AB's.

Sockinchisox
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Dealing him would open up a roster spot for Ramirez, but we would lose a 2nd 3B and gain a 3rd CF.

kittle42
02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Dealing him would open up a roster spot for Ramirez, but we would lose a 2nd 3B and gain a 3rd CF.

How do you figure? First, Ramirez is far from a lock to even make the team. Second, we'll still have a second 3B (Ozuna).

Let's say the Sox broke camp pretty much with what they have now for position players, minus Crede. What's the bench look like?

Hall
Ozuna
Uribe
Two of Owens/Quentin/Ramirez?

As long as Ozuna stays healthy, Uribe is totally expendable.

Sockinchisox
02-14-2008, 01:24 PM
How do you figure? First, Ramirez is far from a lock to even make the team. Second, we'll still have a second 3B (Ozuna).

Let's say the Sox broke camp pretty much with what they have now for position players, minus Crede. What's the bench look like?

Hall
Ozuna
Uribe
Two of Owens/Quentin/Ramirez?

As long as Ozuna stays healthy, Uribe is totally expendable.

I totally agree, I'm just assuming Uribe would be ahead of Ozuna in the depth chart for 3B, meaning we would lose our 2nd 3B option and gain a 3rd CF option if Uribe was dealt. And considering Ozuna got hurt last year and don't know how his leg is, if he went down Fields would have to play every game at 3B.

eriqjaffe
02-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Allegedly, Ramirez can also play third, although I don't know if he's any good with the glove there.

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2239

kittle42
02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Allegedly, Ramirez can also play third, although I don't know if he's any good with the glove there.

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2239

The problem with Ramirez is that no one knows if he's good at anything in any position yet. But hey, that's what spring is for!

Thigpen "57"
02-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Personally, I like the idea of Uribe's bat on the bench. He was solid at 2B when he played there. Definitely wouldnt be sad to lose him either. But some pop off the bench for pinch hit situations would be nice, plus that glove would be nice for spot starts or injury fill ins.

If the O's want him though, all is good.

NoNeckEra
02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
We've known all along that Uribe is on the market, but it's nice to hear another team acknowledge it officially.

Clearly, KW has put the word out that he's available, which means by end of ST he goes to the highest bidder(or only bidder).

jabrch
02-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm sure Uribe could be had cheaply...

palehozenychicty
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
:bandance: If someone took him, there is a god!

cheezheadsoxfan
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I think most people's fears about having Uribe on this roster is that Ozzie will make him an everyday starter at 2B.

:yup:

I know it would just be a salary dump but I hate having a guy with his attitude (work ethic?) on the team.

cws05champ
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I went by the Orioles Spring training facility today (73 today in South Florida...yes I'm rubbing it in) and they didn't seem to be stocking up on Burgers, Fries and Doughnuts. So I don't know if there's any validity to this story. :cool:

BRDSR
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
If the O's want him though, all is good.

Exactly. This is the kind of deal where the Sox are really in a good position. If the Orioles offer enough, Uribe can be had. If they don't offer enough, he could be fill a role and be a valuable player on the South Side.

I doubt the Orioles would get desperate enough to offer Garrett Olson, but he's someone that I'd have my eye on if I were the Sox. Maybe Brandon Erbe could be had, definitely a lot of upside there.

Sox should not be afraid to move Uribe for the right price. Juan Uribe is not going to be the difference between a contending team and a 75-win team for the 2008 White Sox.

BeeBeeRichard
02-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I went by the Orioles Spring training facility today (73 today in South Florida...yes I'm rubbing it in) and they didn't seem to be stocking up on Burgers, Fries and Doughnuts. So I don't know if there's any validity to this story. :cool:

If we put a doughnut on second base, Uribe could lead the league in steals. .... Oh, wait, first he's gotta get on. Maybe tell him the first base line is powdered sugar?

gogosox16
02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
If we put a doughnut on second base, Uribe could lead the league in steals. .... Oh, wait, first he's gotta get on. Maybe tell him the first base line is powdered sugar?
Then for sure he wouldn't be able to get on cuase he would be so focused on eating the powdered sugar, Just tell him that behind first base is a cake or something

BRDSR
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM

Wouldn't work...why would he want to literally step on powdered sugar? I mean, you could still eat it, but why would you when you could just stop right when you get out of the batters box. For that matter, he might assume that the batters box is also powdered sugar; the opposing pitcher could probably lob two fastballs right down the plate before Uribe figured it out.

Better to just put a doughnut on first base.

soxfan43
02-14-2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.osnotes14feb14,0,987896.story

They are also looking at Alex Cintron. So I'd assume if he's healthy they'd just sign him as a cheaper option.

btrain929
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Exactly. This is the kind of deal where the Sox are really in a good position. If the Orioles offer enough, Uribe can be had. If they don't offer enough, he could be fill a role and be a valuable player on the South Side.

I doubt the Orioles would get desperate enough to offer Garrett Olson, but he's someone that I'd have my eye on if I were the Sox. Maybe Brandon Erbe could be had, definitely a lot of upside there.

Sox should not be afraid to move Uribe for the right price. Juan Uribe is not going to be the difference between a contending team and a 75-win team for the 2008 White Sox.

Bold 1: This should read "If the Orioles offer anything, Uribe can be had."

Bold 2: He's had '06 and '07 to be a valuable player on the South Side, and he hasn't. If we don't have to throw in any salary to BAL, pull the trigger, period.

Ziggy S
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm not saying we can fleece them (getting a valuable player on the 25 man), but remember who runs the Orioles, now. Yep, one Andrew McPhail (or McFail take your pick). If we can convince the Orioles to pay his salary, make the deal yesterday.

wassagstdu
02-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Somebody is going to get a super bargain on Uribe. Reading the trash about him here I have a hard time believing that he was the shortstop on the only WS champion Sox team in my lifetime, and that some of the posters on this site are Sox fans.

russ99
02-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Yep. Unless Williams needs to get rid of his salary to make additional moves, I don't see how having Uribe on the bench does anything but increase our depth. He can play SS or 2B if someone needs rest or there is an injury, a decent power bat as a pinch hitter, more than capable defensively...

Also, I don't see the rebuilding O's going that route. They'd more likely get a better SS prospect in another deal, not add salary.

BRDSR
02-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Bold 2: He's had '06 and '07 to be a valuable player on the South Side, and he hasn't. If we don't have to throw in any salary to BAL, pull the trigger, period.

As many have pointed out, he's not valuable as an everyday starting shortstop. But he at least could be valuable as a role player getting 6-9 ABs per week. Also, I don't think theres any deal that would include us not paying any portion of his salary. No matter what I think the Sox will be on the hook for 40-50% of his salary. He's not worth what we're paying him to anybody, unfortunately.

kittle42
02-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Somebody is going to get a super bargain on Uribe. Reading the trash about him here I have a hard time believing that he was the shortstop on the only WS champion Sox team in my lifetime, and that some of the posters on this site are Sox fans.

Ugh. Give it a rest with the '85 Bears-tardization of the 2005 Sox.

The Cards just picked up Politte? You want him back, too?

jabrch
02-14-2008, 08:37 PM
some of the posters on this site are Sox fans.

Our fanbase sucks more than it has ever sucked before. And nowhere does it suck more than here. I'm glad most of our worst posters don't come to the games and certainly don't sit in my section. I've never heard quite the level of stupidity at the park as I hear on WSI.

gogosox16
02-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Our fanbase sucks more than it has ever sucked before. And nowhere does it suck more than here. I'm glad most of our worst posters don't come to the games and certainly don't sit in my section. I've never heard quite the level of stupidity at the park as I hear on WSI.
You never know, I might come and track you down one game and sit by you and annoy you until you want to kill me.:tongue:

Sockinchisox
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM

You're lucky I had my fair share of idiots sit around me last year.

Tragg
02-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Osuna isn't a serious position player - he's a utility player. I hope our bench ends up with a legitimate bat, for the first time since, oh, let's see - yes, the WS season year.

The Sox signed Uribe for almost $5 million. If he has no value, we could have found an equivalent player for 20% of that. There's a chance that we may actually get something for him.

jabrch
02-14-2008, 10:10 PM
You're lucky I had my fair share of idiots sit around me last year.

Where did you sit?

Sockinchisox
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Where did you sit?

Sec. 150
Row 13 (Different row this year though.)

chisox77
02-15-2008, 06:22 PM
It might be the only chance to make a deal with Uribe, unless he is kept until mid-season, and a market may emerge for an experienced middle infielder.

:cool: