PDA

View Full Version : Tom Kelly to Replace Don Baylor?

Viva Magglio
04-23-2002, 12:56 PM
A small item in Fred Mitchell's Tribune column today suggests this. I would hope the Cubs do not hire TK in the event Baylor is fired. Of all the games we lost to the Twinks over the years, at least half of them were because TK outmanaged us.

MattSharp
04-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Tom Kelly is one of the top managers of the '90s IMO. I rank him up there with Bobby Cox, and prolly Joe Torre.

After the Twins started to rebuild he just got screwed cause they never signed aynone good.

Kelly could turn the Cubsaround , so I really hope they don't get him.....

Paulwny
04-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Tom Kelly is one of the top managers of the '90s IMO. I rank him up there with Bobby Cox, and prolly Joe Torre.

After the Twins started to rebuild he just got screwed cause they never signed aynone good.

Agree with everything but Torre. I could have managed the yankmees over the lasy 5 yrs. and won.

MattSharp
04-23-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Agree with everything but Torre. I could have managed the yankmees over the lasy 5 yrs. and won.

Yea, thats prolly true, but any team that is that successful, the manager still deserves credit. I don't think he would have done that well with a team like the Sox, but still you don't win that many games and titles without good managing.....

Cheryl
04-23-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Except the Cubune will never go for that. Winning? That's so over-rated when you can go to a game and drink and get sun-burned and never have to worry about what's going on in front of you.

I would hate to see Kelly there because he deserves better.

ma-gaga
04-23-2002, 07:02 PM
I'd be surprised if TK coaches again. The last 6 years in Minnesota took a lot out of him. He was happy to leave as a winner and on his own terms. I don't think he'd take on a bad situation like the Cubs have.

:)

But McFale may talk him into it. ...

WinningUgly!
04-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
A small item in Fred Mitchell's Tribune column today suggests this. I would hope the Cubs do not hire TK in the event Baylor is fired. Of all the games we lost to the Twinks over the years, at least half of them were because TK outmanaged us.

Then what? Covering the ivy with Hefty bags? Kirby in center? :D:

RedPinStripes
04-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Then what? Covering the ivy with Hefty bags? Kirby in center? :D:

love the sig!.

Tragg
04-23-2002, 10:46 PM
Kelly's experienced at coaching a team with little talent, so he'd probably do a pretty good job with the cubs. Stay retired.

WinningUgly!
04-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

love the sig!.
Thanks. Simple & no words needed.