PDA

View Full Version : "I think we're (Cubs) going to win the World Series"

kjhanson
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Last year it was Carlos Zambrano. This time it is a man who had a 4.73 ERA last year. Just a heads up to Ryan Dempster: if the Cubs win the World Series, it won't be because of anything you do.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/02/dempster-cubs-w.html

Palehose Pete
02-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I already cut, pasted and sent the link to all of my Cubs friends.

Dumpster must be partaking of some herbal remedies for the winter blues if he's this optimistic about his team's chances.

DumpJerry
02-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Sigh. This is the 100th year in a row someone in that organization has made that bold prediction.

And water runs downhill.

And ice is cold.

WhiteSox5187
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
That's exactly what ur supposed to say in ST...what is he going to do? say "We don't have a prayer!"??

oeo
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
That's exactly what ur supposed to say in ST...what is he going to do? say "We don't have a prayer!"??

You don't say either. :dunno:

Very good teams don't talk about that kind of stuff. They play the games and let that do the talking.

DumpJerry
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Reminded that Zambrano said the same thing last year, Dempster replied: "Yeah, and we were close.
Close? No closer than the White Sox got to the World Series last year. Same number of wins in the playoffs. Damn near the same number of hits made and runs scored as the White Sox in the 2007 playoffs.

So close that during the NLCS, Phil Rosenthal said the D-backs got the NLCS by beating the Phillies. They made that good of an impression.

Real close.

btrain929
02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
I wish someone like Aramis Ramirez would have made that statement, so I could have replied by saying "What does he know? Me and him had the same amount of hits in the '07 playoffs, he just made a lot more money doing so....."

dickallen15
02-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Personally, as much as I hate the Cubs, I have no problem with what he says. He's saying his team is great and they are going to win, and of course he'll get slammed on this board. Only White Sox personnel can make such remarks. They won a weak division last year with Lee, Soriano, Zambrano and Ramirez all not exactly having career years. If Fukudome is anywhere near as advertised, they could have a cakewalk to the playoffs and whatever happens there is a crapshoot.

The Immigrant
02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
He's saying his team is great and they are going to win, and of course he'll get slammed on this board. Only White Sox personnel can make such remarks.

He'll get slammed on Cubs boards too, and if anyone on our team made a similar statement on the first day of spring training he would get similar treatment on Sox boards.

oeo
02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Personally, as much as I hate the Cubs, I have no problem with what he says. He's saying his team is great and they are going to win, and of course he'll get slammed on this board. Only White Sox personnel can make such remarks. They won a weak division last year with Lee, Soriano, Zambrano and Ramirez all not exactly having career years. If Fukudome is anywhere near as advertised, they could have a cakewalk to the playoffs and whatever happens there is a crapshoot.

Usually when a guy comes in with comments like this, he's really questioning how good they really are. Again, you don't see very good teams doing this. Do you think you will hear the Red Sox talking about repeating? Or are the Tigers going to come in and crown themselves (I wish they did)? How about the Yankees, Angels, etc.?

When you know you're good, you don't need to make predictions. You play ball, and the wins show the nation how good you are.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Plus, I heard the sound bite and he used the word "grind" as a verb. :o:

goon
02-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Actions speak louder than words.

dickallen15
02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Usually when a guy comes in with comments like this, he's really questioning how good they really are. Again, you don't see very good teams doing this. Do you think you will hear the Red Sox talking about repeating? Or are the Tigers going to come in and crown themselves (I wish they did)? How about the Yankees, Angels, etc.?

When you know you're good, you don't need to make predictions. You play ball, and the wins show the nation how good you are.
Funny, I heard Ozzie Guillen at Soxfest last year say the White Sox would win their division. The entire room applauded.

thomas35forever
02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Get ready for the media to call fans to get behind his statement and then pounce on him at the end of the year.

kittle42
02-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Funny, I heard Ozzie Guillen at Soxfest last year say the White Sox would win their division. The entire room applauded.

Shhh!!! Some people here are busy having a double standard.

Frontman
02-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not surprised at Dempster's statements. Its what players should be saying, or at the very least have Don Cooper's line of "Make the playoffs and see what happens."

That being said, a lot still has to fall the Cubs way to make it to the World Series.

dickallen15
02-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I know. Its ridiculous. A guy on a team that won its division and spent some money trying to improve themselves saying he thinks they are going to win the WS. I guess you are supposed to think your team will lose 100 games to please people. If I were an owner or a GM of a team that was legitimately going for it, I really don't think I would want anyone who didn't think the team was going to win on the roster.

The Immigrant
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM

Funny, because winning the division isn't remotely comparable to winning the World Series, especially for a team that hasn't done the latter for 100 years.

How did this thread turn into more self-loathing from Sox fans? :dunno:

Frontman
02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Funny, because winning the division isn't remotely comparable to winning the World Series, especially for a team that hasn't done the latter for 100 years.

I'm not self-loathing. I think the Sox have a shot at winning just as many games as the Cubs do.

Granted, even MORE things have to go the Sox way than the Cubs, considering the team's records in comparison to last season, but all things are possible in pre-season predictions!

dickallen15
02-13-2008, 07:13 PM

Ozzie said the Sox will win the division. He got a loud ovation, no criticism, and the team lost 90 games. Dempster said he thinks the Cubs will win the WS. What's wrong with that? If you have a team with a $120 million payroll, do you want a roster full of guys thinking winning 85 games would be cool?

munchman33
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
That being said, a lot still has to fall the Cubs way to make it to the World Series.

Not as much as what has to fall our way simply to make the playoffs. And half the people on here are acting like we've got a better than decent shot.

I hate the Cubs as much as the next guy. But they're probably going to win their division handily, they've improved over last year, and they have three good enough starters that can win you a playoff series.

dickallen15
02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
I guarantee if someone asked Derek Jeter who he thought would win the WS he would say the Yankees. I also think if you asked Stephen Drew, he'd say the D-Backs. If you asked Prince Fielder, he would say the Brewers. If you asked Jim Thome, he would say the White Sox. No one would think twice about it, but because its the Cubs its just wrong, its out of line...

Lip Man 1
02-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Don't bet on that Munch...the Brewers look damn good...those kids are only going to get better with more experience and they are pretty solid to start with.

They shored up the weakest area of the team, the bullpen. They'll give the Cubs (barring injuries) a real tough run for it.

I have faith the Cubs (as always) will find some way to screw it up.

Lip

goon
02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
and they have three good enough starters that can win you a playoff series.

Actually, they don't. You did see the 2007 playoffs, right?

Frontman
02-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Not as much as what has to fall our way simply to make the playoffs. And half the people on here are acting like we've got a better than decent shot.

I hate the Cubs as much as the next guy. But they're probably going to win their division handily, they've improved over last year, and they have three good enough starters that can win you a playoff series.

I did say even more things have to go the Sox way than the Cubs, or did you miss my second post?

rdivaldi
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Actually it's not the statement that's appalling, it's fact that the Trib's website has it featured with a huge photo of Dumpster. Haven't they sold the Cubs yet?

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Get ready for the media to call fans to get behind his statement and then ignore the statement at the end of the year.

They'll blame the year on injuries, bad umps, too much sunlight, not enough sunlight, etc.....

rdivaldi
02-13-2008, 07:40 PM
...the Brewers look damn good...those kids are only going to get better with more experience and they are pretty solid to start with.

Shhhhh... Don't upset the Flubsessed.

sullythered
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I guarantee if someone asked Derek Jeter who he thought would win the WS he would say the Yankees. I also think if you asked Stephen Drew, he'd say the D-Backs. If you asked Prince Fielder, he would say the Brewers. If you asked Jim Thome, he would say the White Sox. No one would think twice about it, but because its the Cubs its just wrong, its out of line...
If you ask munchman, he'll say every team in the bigs except the White Sox...

sullythered
02-13-2008, 08:44 PM

:?:

Railsplitter
02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Somebody says this every year. Just like there are some TV newscasts whose seven day forecast calls always calls for rain on the seventh day. They'll keep saying that until it actually happens.

ksimpson14
02-13-2008, 09:28 PM
As long as they don't get Nathan, we can probably start the countdown to 200

the1tab
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
My money says Dempster won't even be on the Cubs roster by Opening Day... someone like Toronto would love to have a long reliever for cheap and Jon Lieber (gulp) makes him expendable. This was nothing more than an attempt to keep his seat on the bench in a party stadium for another Chicago summer.

ChiSoxGirl
02-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Close? No closer than the White Sox got to the World Series last year. Same number of wins in the playoffs. Damn near the same number of hits made and runs scored as the White Sox in the 2007 playoffs.

So close that during the NLCS, Phil Rosenthal said the D-backs got the NLCS by beating the Phillies. They made that good of an impression.

Real close.

I love one of my sixth grade classes and their personalities because they rarely cross the line between respecting me and not when we chat about stuff unrelated to school, so we joke around all the time. A couple of the boys in there started chirping about the Cubs already on Friday :rolleyes:, so I knew I could banter back & forth with them.

These boys tried to tell me that the Cubs are going to win the World Series this year and that MLB should just hand them the trophy right now, rather than play the ballgames. Keep in mind, these are 12 year olds. Anyway, I pointed out the bolded part to them, and also included, the "The Cubs were swept by a team, who was swept by a team, who was swept by a team that won the World Series" comment, which piped them down real fast. I also told them that the Cubs didn't win a single playoff game and in the end, both of our teams ended up with the same thing when all was said and done- nothing! Suddenly, they had no line of defense against their Sox fan teacher.

cws05champ
02-13-2008, 11:38 PM
He can beleive it all he wants...in fact he should. But it's the fact that they havn't won in 100 years and they predict a Championship. There are so many things that need to go right for a team to go all the way. I think any player on a good team should say they beleive they will make the playoffs and then take their chances from there....not we will win the World series.

Jjav829
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
So? I would bet good money that if you read and listened to every word coming out of players mouths this spring, you'd probably hear players from at least 20 teams make similar predictions.

So a player thinks the team he plays for will win the World Series? Shocking!

cards press box
02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Do things ever change? For how many years has someone from the North Side proclaimed that this will finally be the year? It's practically a rite of spring.

Lurking beneath this yearly proclamation is a truth about the Cubs and the Trib -- the Tribune and the Cubs have a long history of consistent mediocrity but that has never slowed all of this World Series talk. I've long thought that the Trib's audience (including Cubdom) is simply oblivious to reality. World Series? In 2008? Ever heard of Johan Santana? How about the defending National League champion Colorado Rockies? What about Arizona adding Dan Haren?

What's the use? The Trib has pushing mediocrity for years. Just look at the Cubs, WGN radio, WGN television, the Daily Tribune, the WB, etc. It doesn't matter that the Tribune puts out a mediocre product; they still call it "the World's Greatest Newspaper." It isn't.

Cubdom's failure to face reality might also explain why Cub fans hate Ozzie Guillen, Mark Buehrle and A.J. Pierzynski. What do those three have in common? They tell the truth and speak their mind. And Guillen, more than just about anyone in baseball, has repeatedly emphasized that talk is cheap and that play on the field speaks louder than anything else.

munchman33
02-14-2008, 01:45 AM
I did say even more things have to go the Sox way than the Cubs, or did you miss my second post?

just missed it

Soxfanspcu11
02-14-2008, 01:50 AM

Real close.

EXACTLY!!!

I don't have a real problem with him saying that. As others have mentioned in this thread, what is he supposed to say?? Although I think that it would have been a little more realistic if he had something like, "We have some talent and we will do everything and anything we can to win the World Series." That at least would have been a little more plausible.

When I read this story, I could not get past the fact that he said the scrubs were "close" to winning the World Series! HOW ON EARTH WERE THEY CLOSE?!?!? The made the playoffs via the WORST Division in baseball. And when they played a REAL team, they got their asses handed to them!!!!!

Mr Dumpster, "Close" would be what the scrubbies did in 2003. If this were spring trainning 2004 and he said that they were "Close", I would agree with him. After all, they were 5 outs from going to the Series and the team that they lost to ended up winning it all. That would make sense. But I'm sorry, the 2007 scrubs were NOWHERE NEAR "Close" to winning even a game in the playoffs, let alone the whole thing!! What a jackass!!!:rolleyes:

munchman33
02-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Don't bet on that Munch...the Brewers look damn good...those kids are only going to get better with more experience and they are pretty solid to start with.

They shored up the weakest area of the team, the bullpen. They'll give the Cubs (barring injuries) a real tough run for it.

Lip

I'll admit Lip I haven't much followed what the Brewers have done this offseason. I know the Cubs lineup got more balanced, and their pen looks good. I'm not totally enamored with their starting pitching, but it's good enough. It certainly isn't a bad staff by any means.

santo=dorf
02-14-2008, 03:36 AM

Real close.
So I guess the 2000 Cubs and 2000 White Sox were pretty close. How did the 2000 White Sox team's playoff appearance compare to the 2007 Cubs team's playoff appearance? Even though WSI wasn't around right after the 2000 season, I recall a lot of Sox fans having the mentality of "This is our year!" before the 2001 season, especially after the David Wells acquisition.
Yep.

C-Dawg
02-14-2008, 07:39 AM
I recall a lot of Sox fans having the mentality of "This is our year!" before the 2001 season, especially after the David Wells acquisition.

"It's Time!"

By the way, I recall Dempster making the same prediction last year, although I think he said it mid-season. I don't put too much weight behind it - they ARE the Cubs, after all.

spawn
02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
I'd rather he say this than say "we're gonna suck." I don't see why this is such a big deal.

white sox bill
02-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Didn't Lou predict the flubs would "be playing in October?" last yr? And we made fun of that by saying they would be playing GOLF in October. Hopefully Dempsters comments just secured fourth place for them

WizardsofOzzie
02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
I love one of my sixth grade classes and their personalities because they rarely cross the line between respecting me and not when we chat about stuff unrelated to school, so we joke around all the time. A couple of the boys in there started chirping about the Cubs already on Friday :rolleyes:, so I knew I could banter back & forth with them.

These boys tried to tell me that the Cubs are going to win the World Series this year and that MLB should just hand them the trophy right now, rather than play the ballgames. Keep in mind, these are 12 year olds. Anyway, I pointed out the bolded part to them, and also included, the "The Cubs were swept by a team, who was swept by a team, who was swept by a team that won the World Series" comment, which piped them down real fast. I also told them that the Cubs didn't win a single playoff game and in the end, both of our teams ended up with the same thing when all was said and done- nothing! Suddenly, they had no line of defense against their Sox fan teacher.

Damn Chads :D:

kittle42
02-14-2008, 11:03 AM
I'd rather he say this than say "we're gonna suck." I don't see why this is such a big deal.

I'm sure a few teams have had a player make this statement already, but since it's the Cubs, people here decide to pay attention and make it more important than it is - kind of like those same people accuse the media of doing.

Fenway
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
The Cubs SHOULD win the Central which gives them a 12.5 chance of winning the whole thing. This 100th year of futility will be a big national story all season.

ZombieRob
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
The Cubs SHOULD win the Central which gives them a 12.5 chance of winning the whole thing. This 100th year of futility will be a big national story all season.
And you know MLB will be all over it and that is what scares me. IMO D'Backs, Mets Dodgers, and perhaps the Padre sour my favorites.

Lip Man 1
02-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Dorf:

In George Bova's interview I think he told me that WSI was started the day after Thanksgiving in 1997 or 1998 so it was around in 2000, 2001.
In fact here's his quote:

GB: "It started as a hobby. I wanted to learn how to work with HTML. I also had in my mind an idea or two about how a fan’s site should look like. I came across a site devoted to the English soccer team Arsenal FC. It was different in the fact that it made no pretensions about being objective. It was "totally biased." WSI started out as a five page website during maybe the worst time in Sox history. It was in 1998, the team was bad, the "White Flag Trade" was still fresh in everyone’s memories. I had no false illusions that I’d start this and someday wind up with press credentials. I didn’t want to get into the "mainstream media" or have the readers think this was a serious, objective site."

Lip

Fenway
02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
And you know MLB will be all over it and that is what scares me. IMO D'Backs, Mets Dodgers, and perhaps the Padre sour my favorites.

MLB, ESPN, CNN you name it.............

so all I can say is GO BREWERS

Woofer
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Isn't Dempster know as the team jokester? I think that this is maybe another one of his great jokes. The Cubs will win the world series? Ha Ha Ha, GREAT ONE DEMPSTER! He probably was using his Harry Caray voice too! Priceless!

Ziggy S
02-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Notice how key the word think is in that sentence. Ryan does not show much confidence by saying "I think we're going to win the Series." Heck, I could say for myself I think I will save a ton of money and get rich off the stock market during this deployment.

russ99
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Isn't Dempster know as the team jokester? I think that this is maybe another one of his great jokes. The Cubs will win the world series? Ha Ha Ha, GREAT ONE DEMPSTER! He probably was using his Harry Caray voice too! Priceless!

:gulp:

Actually the much bigger joke is that Dempster thinks he can be a starter on a major league club. Go ahead Cubs, put him in the rotation...

NSSoxFan
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
2006 - Scott Eyre
2007 - Carlos Zambrano
2008 - Ryan Dempster

Ziggy S
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM

At what school do you teach? I used to live in Des Plaines ('86-'94), so if it's in District 63 I'm guessing Mark Twain or Nelson.

ChiSoxGirl
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
At what school do you teach? I used to live in Des Plaines ('86-'94), so if it's in District 63 I'm guessing Mark Twain or Nelson.

I was employed by Dist. 63 in 2004, but I and 80+ others were victims of a failed tax referendum. I now teach in a Catholic school in the northwest suburbs.

Frontman
02-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Hasn't anyone heard?

This 2008 Cubs team is (and I couldn't believe it when I saw it)

"The Best Cubs team EVER assembled."

So, I've already started the line of reasoning.

1: They have to have 4 sure-fire HoF players; as the 69 Cubs have 3.

2: They should run the table, and win 173 games, going undefeated.

3: Life on this planet will cease.

4: Resistance is futile.

5: We will all be assimilated.

Cuck the Fubs
02-14-2008, 11:00 PM
They have to say it every year.........

The simple fact is, one time they will actually be right..........

However, 2008 will not be that one time....

Move along, move along

Soxfanspcu11
02-15-2008, 02:19 AM

Really?? What makes you think that???

That have not gotten it right for 100 years, I don't see any reason to think that that will change.

Heck, the league seemingly gets stronger every year. Their are GM's, Presidents, Coaches, Agents, Player's out there who are MUCH more "Baseball Intelligent" than the scrubs are or ever could be.

The fact is, until some major changes occur within that organization, I just can't see them coming close, ever.

Frontman
02-15-2008, 07:48 AM

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result."

Excuse me, I have to go off and sort mail and deliver my route now. Say, where do I work again?

:wink:

C-Dawg
02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I laughed out loud at the beginning of the 2006 season when several Cubs speculated about how gigantic the Cubs victory parade would be. I want to say it was about three of them - I remember Barrett and newcomer Howry specifically but I'm sure there was one other. Barrett in particular said their parade would "take back the streets of Chicago which were rightfully theirs"....

:rolleyes:

I don't put much stock in what they say.

Risk
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
I was employed by Dist. 63 in 2004, but I and 80+ others were victims of a failed tax referendum. I now teach in a Catholic school in the northwest suburbs.

Which one? I went to St. Anne in Barrington from K thru 8th grade.

Risk

dickallen15
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Really?? What makes you think that???

That have not gotten it right for 100 years, I don't see any reason to think that that will change.

Heck, the league seemingly gets stronger every year. Their are GM's, Presidents, Coaches, Agents, Player's out there who are MUCH more "Baseball Intelligent" than the scrubs are or ever could be.

The fact is, until some major changes occur within that organization, I just can't see them coming close, ever.
People were probably saying the same thing about the White Sox a few years ago.

Frontman
02-15-2008, 04:04 PM
The two sure-fire things that are said in Spring Training that kills a team's chances of winning it all:

One player to utter the phrase, "We're going to win the World Series."

And another player/coach to utter the phrase, "I do not believe in curses."

Dempster and Fukudome has already killed the Cubs chances this year.

MarySwiss
02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
This is the only thing I hate about ST time; the inevitable Cubs player and/or fan chirping. And we get a lot of it here since they're such a big deal in Mesa.

At some point, they have to face reality. However, since they did manage to somehow win the division last year, reality might take a bit longer this year.

Then again, they could be out of it by the end of July. :D:

Brian26
02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Whether or not they actually have a good team, it's just an incredibly ignorant comment to make before a single game has even been played. The '99 Yankees had the right to walk around and spew that kind of bravado, but the team that got swept out of the first round of the playoffs by the team that got swept out of the NLCS by the team that got swept in the World Series? Please. Hopefully karma works its magic.

WSox73
02-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Whether or not they actually have a good team, it's just an incredibly ignorant comment to make before a single game has even been played. The '99 Yankees had the right to walk around and spew that kind of bravado, but the team that got swept out of the first round of the playoffs by the team that got swept out of the NLCS by the team that got swept in the World Series? Please. Hopefully karma works its magic.

It should make good bulletin board material for the rest of the NL. :cool:

LongLiveFisk
02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Same ****, different year. That's really all you can say to sum it up.

dickallen15
02-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Mark Buerhle's quote on Friday

"But going into the season, on paper, I think we have a good chance to go to the playoffs.''

Why do I doubt anyone will say he shouldn't say this.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-17-2008, 01:36 PM

"But going into the season, on paper, I think we have a good chance to go to the playoffs.''

Umm... because Buehrle qualified his statement? Dempster didn't.

Dempster confirms for everyone he has hardly more than rocks in his head. This is no big news. Dempster isn't the first major leaguer to demonstrate his weak intellect and he won't be the last. Lucky for us he plays for somebody else's club. They've had more than their share of them, too.
:wink:

Frontman
02-17-2008, 01:42 PM

One it stated with a sense of reality to it?

The Sox *might* make the playoffs; they have "a good chance."

The other is a bold statement with no sense of reality.

The Cubs *WILL* win the world series. Even though they were swept in the first round of the playoffs.

The Sox need to win one more game than the rest of the division. The Cubs have to win 11 in October.

In other words, every team should approach the season with the thought of not putting the cart before the horse. You can't win the Series if you don't get into the playoffs.

dickallen15
02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
One it stated with a sense of reality to it?

The Sox *might* make the playoffs; they have "a good chance."

The other is a bold statement with no sense of reality.

The Cubs *WILL* win the world series. Even though they were swept in the first round of the playoffs.

The Sox need to win one more game than the rest of the division. The Cubs have to win 11 in October.

In other words, every team should approach the season with the thought of not putting the cart before the horse. You can't win the Series if you don't get into the playoffs.

He said "I think" we're going to win the WS. Its the title of the thread. I hope the White Sox are loaded with guys who think the White Sox are going to win the WS. Are you implying Buerhle is saying he thinks the White Sox have a good chance of going to the playoffs, but not winning the WS?

Cuck the Fubs
02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Then again, they could be out of it by the end of April. :D:

Needed a minor tweak to be correct :redneck

cub killer
02-28-2008, 11:30 AM

they got swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept. that kind of stuff can only happen to the flubs...

has this ever happened before in all of sports history? i think 2007 should not count as a postseason appearance because of this

areilly
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
they got swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept. that kind of stuff can only happen to the flubs...

has this ever happened before in all of sports history? i think 2007 should not count as a postseason appearance because of this

In playoff-era baseball, no; the closest was when the 1990 Red Sox lost the ALCS 4-0 to the A's, who were then crushed 4-0 by the Reds. The 1998 Cubs came close, first losing 3-0 to the Braves, who lost 4-2 to the Padres, who were then swept by the Yankees.

Historic franchises, indeed. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Lip

They always do,Mark.They always do.:cool:

PKalltheway
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
In playoff-era baseball, no; the closest was when the 1990 Red Sox lost the ALCS 4-0 to the A's, who were then crushed 4-0 by the Reds. The 1998 Cubs came close, first losing 3-0 to the Braves, who lost 4-2 to the Padres, who were then swept by the Yankees.

Historic franchises, indeed. :cool:
Don't forget that the '98 Padres actually had a 3-0 lead on the Braves at one point in the series.:smile:

kjhanson
10-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I know, I'm bumping a 7-month old thread, but here's where the cockiness began. I heard the audio on this again the other day: "I think we're going to win the World Series, I really do". No, Ryan, you're not going to, you're really not. Thanks for playing though.

1908<2005
10-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I know, I'm bumping a 7-month old thread, but here's where the cockiness began. I heard the audio on this again the other day: "I think we're going to win the World Series, I really do". No, Ryan, you're not going to, you're really not. Thanks for playing though.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cub killer
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM

The cubs put their feet in their mouths EVERY year. Props to whoever bumped this thread. Will the scrubs learn their lesson of counting chickens before they hatch? Probably not, but we should still be there to point out how stupid they all are

kitekrazy
10-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I wish someone like Aramis Ramirez would have made that statement, so I could have replied by saying "What does he know? Me and him had the same amount of hits in the '07 playoffs, he just made a lot more money doing so....."

Many Cub fans support your statement. They want a lot of the big money players gone because they aren't clutch players in the post season.

Just think if the Sox had Fukadome. Another under achieving player we don't need.