PDA

View Full Version : Possible Development around USCF

Law11
02-13-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/790569,CST-FIN-roeder13.article

Not much here but interest from the Sox seems promising.

Medford Bobby
02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
What gets me is the New Yankee Stadium development includes turning the old Yankee grounds into a ball field park for kids.......:smile:

NoNeckEra
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/790569,CST-FIN-roeder13.article

Not much here but interest from the Sox seems promising.
There goes a bunch of prime parking down the drain!
Seriously though, this could be a key piece to the long term viability of USCF.
Teams with this kind of ballpark neighborhood draw well even in down years.
eg: Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, baltimore, seattle, etc. Teams without it(Oakland, Marlins, DRays, etc) struggle to draw fans unless the team on the field brings 'em out.

doublem23
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I can't believe it's been this long and we're still only talking about possible development around the Cell.

skobabe8
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
I can't believe it's been this long and we're still only talking about possible development around the Cell.

Seriously! :tongue:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
There's plenty of space to build parking garages to make up for the square footage lost if they do develop.

I think it's great; could bring over business at IIT and during down years/off season.

pdimas
02-13-2008, 11:50 AM
I read this article this morning as well and thought it would be a great idea. I have seen quite a few new homes going up around the ballpark and think something like this could really be successful.

kittle42
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM

That's because no one realized the Sox existed until they won a World Series.

skobabe8
02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
There's plenty of space to build parking garages to make up for the square footage lost if they do develop.

I think it's great; could bring over business at IIT and during down years/off season.

Yes. Then have a specific lot for people who want to tailgate. All of the tailgating in one area would make for a better atmosphere anyway. Sometime you feel like you are all by yourself in those huge lots.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
I like this idea.

Done correctly, they could have a multi-story building (or series of buildings) that includes retail shops and restaurants on the ground floor, office space on the second story (overlooking 35th Street), several floors of parking behind and above the retail and offices, and apartments and condos on the upper floors, with balconies overlooking 35th Street and the Cell itself.

:supernana:

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes. Then have a specific lot for people who want to tailgate. All of the tailgating in one area would make for a better atmosphere anyway. Sometime you feel like you are all by yourself in those huge lots.

Charge a little bit more for the tailgate lot for garbage and coal disposal. I'd pay that fee in a heartbeat. One huge party area in addition to a neighborhood feel? Awesome.

cbotnyse
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I can't believe it's been this long and we're still only talking about possible development around the Cell.It is completely ridiculous. its also getting extremely irritating. Built a damn bar by the park already!!! I promise, it will not lose money.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
It is completely ridiculous. its also getting extremely irritating. Built a damn bar by the park already!!! I promise, it will not lose money.

No restaurant/bar they build by the park will lose money.

whitesoxwilkes
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Speaking of bars, what's the story with Jimbo's? Are they gonna blow that rathole up or what?

PalehosePlanet
02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
No restaurant/bar they build by the park will lose money.

You're absolutely right. With all of the new money moving into the area (Townhomes, condos, single family homes) there is absolutely no way a couple of bars and restaurants would fail.

Also if the strip is still a block or more away from all of the homes west of the tracks there is no way the residents can complain about noise, traffic and such matters. Most after hours traffic would head back towards the Dan Ryan.

PalehosePlanet
02-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Speaking of bars, what's the story with Jimbo's? Are they gonna blow that rathole up or what?

No kidding!!

I don't what's going on but I always thought that once your lease is up and the landlord wants you out, you have no options. Seems pretty simple to me; I must be missing something.

whitesoxwilkes
02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
No kidding!!

I don't what's going on but I always thought that once your lease is up and the landlord wants you out, you have no options. Seems pretty simple to me; I must be missing something.

Jimbo is fighting the power!

jenn2080
02-13-2008, 04:38 PM

God that over priced dump needs to go.

billnahorodny
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Wasn't there talk of Punchinello's on 31st being bought out by a large bar/restaurant chain? I know that it's definitely closed, but I haven't been by there recently to see if there's anything new in its place.

chisoxmike
02-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I read on here, that, unfortunately, Jimbos is staying.

**** Jimbos though, God I hate that place.

On the topic though...it's about ****ing time that the Sox and the neighborhood do something with around the park. The interest is there and has been there. They don't need a row of bars, but something like a nice sports bar with decent food and some restaurants would be nice.

itsnotrequired
02-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I read on here, that, unfortunately, Jimbos is staying.

**** Jimbos though, God I hate that place.

On the topic though...it's about ****ing time that the Sox and the neighborhood do something with around the park. The interest is there and has been there. They don't need a row of bars, but something like a nice sports bar with decent food and some restaurants would be nice.

post needs more flaming heads

WikdChiSoxFan
02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
A couple things this development needs to include... if any of the developers are lurking...

the Metra Stop. This is another thing that I think is a no brainer in this situation. Sure there's the Red and Green, but Metra would be a big boost for the White Sox & the neighborhood and would reduce the reliance on ugly surface parking. (Don't get me wrong, I like to tailgate too!)

A theater/music venue. I think this is probably nobody thinks about, but I think it would be very successful. Great proximity to parking, expressway, and a neighborhood sorely in need of such an outlet.

More community center/public space. The Armour Square park is nice and all, but a nice uplifting community space for this neighborhood could have some big benefits. Its something that should be bargained for in the development deal.

And of course, the bars & restaurants.

I guess what I'm trying to avoid is the Circus/Ghost Town effect I've seen around other ballparks like Fenway & Yankee Stadium. The Cell is at a larger disadvantage as the parking has wiped out the community on the fringes. It's already an island. Also, I really hope Daley gets involved in improving his old hood without displacing the people who call Bridgeport home. Maybe propose some kind of local/minority owned business quota.

by the way, Punchinello's is named something else now... I'm forgetting the name at the moment. So, yes, it's probably changed hands.

Frontman
02-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Well, if they do develop around the park, I'd be happy. That is one of the downsides of the park's location. Having the expressway right there hurts that as well.

But, the important part is that the Sox want the area to thrive, and in doing so, I can easily see a few sportsbars and such doing very well.

skobabe8
02-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, if they do develop around the park, I'd be happy. That is one of the downsides of the park's location. Having the expressway right there hurts that as well.

But, the important part is that the Sox want the area to thrive, and in doing so, I can easily see a few sportsbars and such doing very well.

I think having the expressway there is great, especially post Dan Ryan construction. Most ballparks have an expressway as close as we do, but dont have the neighborhood like the Sox have with Bridgeport. Plus, at least the Ryan is below grade and generally cannot be seen unlike other elevated expressways. Think KC, LAD, Milwaukee, NYM. Its the best of both worlds.

Frater Perdurabo
02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Plus, at least the Ryan is below grade and generally cannot be seen unlike other elevated expressways. Think KC, LAD, Milwaukee, NYM. Its the best of both worlds.

If they are really interested in bringing the community together, they might consider building a "deck park" over the Ryan. Other cities - Seattle in particular - have done these kinds of things to reconnect downtowns and/or neighborhoods. Obviously buildings couldn't be erected on top of such a deck, but nice landscaping and walking paths would allow for better pedestrian access from and to both sides. (Perhaps landscaping designed in the form of a giant SOX logo, with fans streaming around it, would look fantastic from a helicopter or blimp during post-season games!)

Wikd, I agree wholeheartedly about the Metra Stop! I've read elsewhere on WSI (too lazy to search right now) that Metra is in the process of planning and designing a 35th Street station on the Rock Island. (Apparently at some point in the near future the Southwest Service - the line that goes to Orland Park and Manhattan - will no longer run on the tracks west of the park, but is to be moved to the same tracks as the RI line and terminate at LaSalle Street Station)

I also totally agree about a theater and live music venue. Perhaps something along the lines of a Vic or Metro? I think an old-style movie theater, right on the street, but with all the latest amenities like stadium-style seating, would be perfect.

Perhaps the Sox could be convinced to move their team offices over to a new office building, to open up new space in the park for more revenue-generating attractions?

Finally, since the bridge structure already exists over 35th Street, it would be fantastic if fans could go back and forth between the park and the proposed new development, without having to descend to street level. That way, fans could move freely between the retail and restaurants and the park, especially during rain delays or before or after games.

Chilli Palmer
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
A couple things this development needs to include... if any of the developers are lurking...

the Metra Stop. This is another thing that I think is a no brainer in this situation. Sure there's the Red and Green, but Metra would be a big boost for the White Sox & the neighborhood and would reduce the reliance on ugly surface parking. (Don't get me wrong, I like to tailgate too!)

A theater/music venue. I think this is probably nobody thinks about, but I think it would be very successful. Great proximity to parking, expressway, and a neighborhood sorely in need of such an outlet.

More community center/public space. The Armour Square park is nice and all, but a nice uplifting community space for this neighborhood could have some big benefits. Its something that should be bargained for in the development deal.

And of course, the bars & restaurants.

I guess what I'm trying to avoid is the Circus/Ghost Town effect I've seen around other ballparks like Fenway & Yankee Stadium. The Cell is at a larger disadvantage as the parking has wiped out the community on the fringes. It's already an island. Also, I really hope Daley gets involved in improving his old hood without displacing the people who call Bridgeport home. Maybe propose some kind of local/minority owned business quota.

by the way, Punchinello's is named something else now... I'm forgetting the name at the moment. So, yes, it's probably changed hands.

The establishment that will replace Punchinellos is named Jeannes.

Frontman
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
I think having the expressway there is great, especially post Dan Ryan construction. Most ballparks have an expressway as close as we do, but dont have the neighborhood like the Sox have with Bridgeport. Plus, at least the Ryan is below grade and generally cannot be seen unlike other elevated expressways. Think KC, LAD, Milwaukee, NYM. Its the best of both worlds.

Oh for traffic flow, its awesome to have the park there. I just meant that the park isn't "in" a neighborhood like some parks are. Its offset by its parking and then the expressway separating it from IIT's campus.

Trust me, as a kid who grew up at 35th and Emerald, Bridgeport was and is an awesome neighborhood and count me as one who was very happy that New Comiskey/USCF remained in the area. (Even though isn't actually in Bridgeport per se.)

skobabe8
02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
If they are really interested in bringing the community together, they might consider building a "deck park" over the Ryan. Other cities - Seattle in particular - have done these kinds of things to reconnect downtowns and/or neighborhoods. Obviously buildings couldn't be erected on top of such a deck, but nice landscaping and walking paths would allow for better pedestrian access from and to both sides. (Perhaps landscaping designed in the form of a giant SOX logo, with fans streaming around it, would look fantastic from a helicopter or blimp during post-season games!)

Wikd, I agree wholeheartedly about the Metra Stop! I've read elsewhere on WSI (too lazy to search right now) that Metra is in the process of planning and designing a 35th Street station on the Rock Island. (Apparently at some point in the near future the Southwest Service - the line that goes to Orland Park and Manhattan - will no longer run on the tracks west of the park, but is to be moved to the same tracks as the RI line and terminate at LaSalle Street Station)

I also totally agree about a theater and live music venue. Perhaps something along the lines of a Vic or Metro? I think an old-style movie theater, right on the street, but with all the latest amenities like stadium-style seating, would be perfect.

Perhaps the Sox could be convinced to move their team offices over to a new office building, to open up new space in the park for more revenue-generating attractions?

Finally, since the bridge structure already exists over 35th Street, it would be fantastic if fans could go back and forth between the park and the proposed new development, without having to descend to street level. That way, fans could move freely between the retail and restaurants and the park, especially during rain delays or before or after games.

In other words, the possibilities are endless! They could really do something great if they had the money and the desire. I like your ideas. The deck over the expressway would be great but I definately wont hold my breath for that one.

Front, I hear what you're saying. I like how you have a completely different expreience approaching the park from the west vs. from the east on 35th st. The new Park Boulevard could really shake things up in this regard if they put some establishments over there.

Luke
02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Oak Park has looked at the idea of capping the Ike. It's not a cheap solution, but it looks really good.

http://www.oak-park.us/FYI/images/OakParkCap.jpg

I think a small music venue would be pretty cool. is the Ramova theater too far away?

Frater Perdurabo
02-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Oak Park has looked at the idea of capping the Ike. It's not a cheap solution, but it looks really good.

http://www.oak-park.us/FYI/images/OakParkCap.jpg

I think a small music venue would be pretty cool. is the Ramova theater too far away?

Truly awesome!

The only thing that has do be done if the deck is several blocks long is to provide outlets for tailpipe exhaust to ventilate.

itsnotrequired
02-14-2008, 01:40 PM
The only thing that has do be done if the deck is several blocks long is to provide outlets for tailpipe exhaust to ventilate.

They would do it like they do for underground parking garages. Large, grated openings are provided and tall shrubs are planted around it.

Frater Perdurabo
02-14-2008, 09:14 PM
They would do it like they do for underground parking garages. Large, grated openings are provided and tall shrubs are planted around it.

Yep. They've done similar things for the wide boulevards that cross over U.S. 75/Central Expressway in North Dallas.

jschvach
02-15-2008, 08:39 PM
What they should have done was left the structure/bricks of old comiskey park up and just built stores, bars, entertainment all lined on the inside ... heck, they could have left half of the park standing . . . it would have also helped preserve some of the history . . . maybe leave the old score board up and just fix it up a bit . . . . sox could have used thta to advertise . . . there sooo much potential with what they COULD have done . . .

let's face it, they screwed up, and realizing it now (well they realized a few years ago when they started the renovations) . . .

sullythered
02-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Eh. The walk from Schaller's is a nice one on most days. It's enough for me.

paciorek1983
02-16-2008, 12:13 AM
It's about time for something to happen closer the ballpark. Hopefully they do it right. :supernana:

kevin57
02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
This is not a new idea.

I remember Blair Kamin, the architectural critic for the Trib, writing an article on just this concept a year or two ago. An "around-the-ballpark" development was intended as the last phase of the USCF 'renovations' completed last season. My recollection is that it was supposed to have been initiated last year.

A lot of factors, many innocent, could have caused this delay, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry would scrutinize any move to make sure few if any $$$ are spent elsewhere than would be spent in his palace, and the traditionalists in Bridgeport have never exactly been 'enthusiastic' for 'urban development' around them.

With the influx of newcomers that attitude is likely changing and I would like to hope that JR would recognize that a more happening environment would actually bring more revenue to his coffers.

paciorek1983
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I wonder if there will be a version of McCuddy's. Was never at the original. Maybe they could make a Shoeless Joe's South? If I had the oppoprtunity I'd might build a sportsbar named Buck Weaver's.

BridgePortNative
03-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Also, I really hope Daley gets involved in improving his old hood without displacing the people who call Bridgeport home.

yeah, no kidding. with all the condos going up and the multi million dollar houses, i wonder how long it will be until price hikes drive people out of the area....

tick53
03-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm all for it! Ah progress....

gaelhound
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Truly awesome!

The only thing that has do be done if the deck is several blocks long is to provide outlets for tailpipe exhaust to ventilate.You vent to the visitors dug out! Add two feet to Jenks fastball!:D:

PeoriaSoxFan
03-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Its only been like 15 years, maybe in another 5 they will do something. I always thought it was Reinsdorf who wanted to keep everyone inside the park.

paciorek1983
03-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Its only been like 15 years, maybe in another 5 they will do something. I always thought it was Reinsdorf who wanted to keep everyone inside the park.

With all the development that has gone on in the last five years, the time is now. Let's ride the coattails of the '05 Championship on this one. Of course let's ride on the coattails of the '08 Championship too!:smile:

guillen4life13
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM

5-15 years ago it was downright scary to walk around the projects there. Now they're pretty much gone. The time is now.

Red Barchetta
03-02-2008, 10:41 AM

I think it's safe to say that experiment failed. Simple equation - more to do around/outside the park = more fans in the park. Tailgating is nice, however it would be nice to have more. Plus the whole "neighborhood feel" is a great way to promote the park during telecasts. Shots of restaurants, etc. go a long way to market the franchise.

Love them or hate them, the Tribune/WGN/Cubs plan worked. Market the "experience" not the losing product.

PalehosePlanet
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I wonder if there will be a version of McCuddy's. Was never at the original. Maybe they could make a Shoeless Joe's South? If I had the oppoprtunity I'd might build a sportsbar named Buck Weaver's.

The owner of Slugger's is a big Sox fan (business is business) and has been trying since the early 90's to open a place by USCF. He says it's been impossible for him to find the right deal/place. If something were to break from the status quo, I'm sure he's be one of the first guys in line to open a Slugger's type place by USCF.

The Critic
03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
There is a music venue (Reggie's Rock Room) at 21st and State, but obviously that's a little bit of a haul from USCF.
It would be nice to have a Metro style of rock club within walking distance of the ballpark for sure. Day game at USCF, rock show at night? Good times!

skobabe8
03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
The owner of Slugger's is a big Sox fan (business is business) and has been trying since the early 90's to open a place by USCF. He says it's been impossible for him to find the right deal/place. If something were to break from the status quo, I'm sure he's be one of the first guys in line to open a Slugger's type place by USCF.

Where is Sluggers?

ChiSox65
03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I like the green space over the ryan idea. Would be cool.

:cool:

PalehosePlanet
03-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Where is Sluggers?

Block south of the Urinal on Clark st.