PDA

View Full Version : Parque to return soon

duke of dorwood
04-23-2002, 08:41 AM
From todays Cubune:

The experiment of three inexperienced starters in the rotation isn't working as expected, forcing the Sox to give Parque another chance whether his velocity is back to normal or not.

"I hear he's very close," manager Jerry Manuel said. "Command is the key thing. He's shown some command. He's always shown that ability to fight. We probably need that command more than we need a velocity guy. We need someone to throw strikes because we have caught the ball better. If you're not throwing strikes, [the defense] can't catch it."

Parque has thrown strikes, though he has also served up seven home runs in 22 2/3 innings. The inconsistency of Jon Garland, Dan Wright and Jon Rauch is beginning to wear on the Sox offense, which had given them adequate run support. Wright and Rauch are getting on-the-job training in the majors, which doesn't bode well for a team that considers itself a pennant contender.

They're learning," catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. said. "They have good days and bad days. Right now we're supporting those guys offensively, so it's not a problem. If our offense goes cold, they're going to have to do better than that. Garland is going to make improvements, and hopefully Danny Wright does.

"But you've also got Gary [Glover] waiting for a chance. He's throwing strikes. You can move people around. Jerry can do that if we wants. You can't go out every outing and give up six or seven runs, but I have faith in those guys. The velocity is there. It's just the control."

Glover, who competed for a starting job in the spring, has 7 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings since Opening Day. But Manuel said he's not considering moving Glover into the rotation.

Pete Ward
04-23-2002, 09:17 AM
The inconsistency of Jon Garland, Dan Wright and Jon Rauch is beginning to wear on the Sox offense, which had given them adequate run support. Wright and Rauch are getting on-the-job training in the majors, which doesn't bode well for a team that considers itself a pennant contender.

And its taken this management team this long to figure this out? I think most of us new this in December or earlier.

I supported the move to get Ritchie, but, we have needed another starter for awhile. Garland (until more experienced) and Parque should be end of rotation guys. I'd prefer to bring the kids along slowly (Rauch & Wright) by using them as long relievers out of the pen.

We should have signed Appier when we had the chance. Or... put a package of kids together and send them to Montreal for Vasquez.

cheeses_h_rice
04-23-2002, 09:56 AM
So all of a sudden Parque's velocity isn't important anymore? I don't think so.

This sounds like a panic move by KW.

voodoochile
04-23-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
So all of a sudden Parque's velocity isn't important anymore? I don't think so.

This sounds like a panic move by KW.

Well, the reports are he is back in the 87+ MPH range, which is much better than it was. His outings have improved also. If he has one more good start, they will almost HAVE to bring him up because of the struggles of the young guys. Heck if Parque can go 10-8, -5.00 ERA between now and the end of the year, it would be fine. Rauch should get one more start. If he cannot throw strikes, he goes down and Parque gets the slot.

I don't see why JM is so against Glover in the rotation. Howry or Osuna could be the set-up man and Wunsch is pitching in live games, so it won't be THAT long before he comes up (month at most I would hope). They are looking to go to 11 pitchers anyway.

hold2dibber
04-23-2002, 12:12 PM
I said it before the season started and I'll say it again; they need a #3 type starter. Parque is your no. 4, Garland is no. 5, Rauch is in the minors and Wright is either a long guy in the pen or in the minors. Or, they can stick Glover in the rotation but make a few trades to significantly upgrade the middle relief so all we needs is 5 IP from our starters. I'm not at panic stage, because I have a lot of faith in Buehrle and Ritchie, because I still think Garland can and will be competitive, and because I love the offense. But they're going to need another arm or two.

voodoochile
04-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I said it before the season started and I'll say it again; they need a #3 type starter. Parque is your no. 4, Garland is no. 5, Rauch is in the minors and Wright is either a long guy in the pen or in the minors. Or, they can stick Glover in the rotation but make a few trades to significantly upgrade the middle relief so all we needs is 5 IP from our starters. I'm not at panic stage, because I have a lot of faith in Buehrle and Ritchie, because I still think Garland can and will be competitive, and because I love the offense. But they're going to need another arm or two.

I think the Sox are going to make a move before the end of the season. As I said before, I would love to see Leiber in a Sox uniform (provided he is healthy).

Lee, Hummel and Wright? Too much?

Bmr31
04-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I think the Sox are going to make a move before the end of the season. As I said before, I would love to see Leiber in a Sox uniform (provided he is healthy).

too much? no way! Id do that deal in a heartbeat and the sox would become an immediate world series contender....

Pete Ward
04-23-2002, 03:46 PM

Cubs wont do it because they locked themselves in with Alou. Where does Hummel play for them, with B. Hill on the way up?

I'd make that same offer to the Expoes for Vasquez!

Mathew
04-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

I'd make that same offer to the Expoes for Vasquez!

Sure would!