PDA

View Full Version : Stoney a regular...

Melido Perez
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Just wondering what the contractual status of Singleton and D.J? I think Stoney has put himself in a position(doing Fri. home games on radio) where he can replace one of these guys and be the full-time t.v. analyst in 09.

Whitesox029
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Just wondering what the contractual status of Singleton and D.J? I think Stoney has put himself in a position(doing Fri. home games on radio) where he can replace one of these guys and be the full-time t.v. analyst in 09.
I don't know about his contract, but it would be great to have him in the TV booth full-time. Singleton is much worse than DJ, but at least we have a solid play-by-play man in the TV booth already. Farmer is hilarious as color man, but he's not cut out for PbP. Stoney is also really an analyst by nature, though I'd like to hear him do PbP some time. And I would like to add for the 1000th time that I miss John Rooney like no other.

PennStater98r
02-12-2008, 05:43 PM
:whiner:

Rooney... /sigh

kwkonsl
02-12-2008, 06:05 PM
It was said back when he signed the contract that Jerry offered him a full time job for a lot of money. He declined because he still wants to spend more time with his family. I agree this does put him in a position to do more in 09. I have a feeling that if Stoney really wanted to do all the traveling with the team he would be on board this year, but he doesn't. Hopefully for us he enjoys this year and want to do more next year.

Lip Man 1
02-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Two things on this.

I did the next WSI Interview this afternoon with a person who has good knowledge of the Sox broadcasting situation, the in's and out's, who they work for and so forth. Just something for the future that will shed some light on the process by which Sox announcers are hired.

Second I had someone tell me who is in the broadcasting business that basically no one knows what the future holds for Steve because (according to this person) despite what you saw on TV, Hawk didn't really enjoy working with Steve... that he wasn't all that comfortable with him. Take it for what it may be worth to you.

Lip

Vernam
02-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I had someone tell me who is in the broadcasting business that basically no one knows what the future holds for Steve because (according to this person) despite what you saw on TV, Hawk didn't really enjoy working with Steve... that he wasn't all that comfortable with him. Take it for what it may be worth to you.Wouldn't surprise me a bit, because Hawk seems to want a sidekick more than a partner. All the fawning over Stone couldn't have set well with Harrelson, but I did enjoy hearing them together. If that's a knock against DJ, then it's also a knock against Hawk because Stone seemed to snap him out of his lazier mannerisms -- ones that you could say he gets away with when DJ is there.

How old will Stone be when Hawk's contract is up? I agree that Stone makes a better analyst than PBP, but I could see the Sox hiring a solid Rooney type and slotting in Stone as full-time analyst. Anyone think DJ has potential for PBP? I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Vernam

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Lip:

Knowing how your previous articles/interviews have been, I know there's a lot of credibility with what you say. It pains me to say that because I would like to see Hawk AND Farmer moved to color roles only. To me, listening to Stone was like going back in time to the Harry/Stone days....and knowing that you could learn something about baseball by listening to Stone. We need GOOD pbp men, and right now, we have one good one COMBINED between DJ & Singleton. I think Singleton has it tougher because Farmer's timing sometimes is just horrible, IMO.

TornLabrum
02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Two things on this.

I did the next WSI Interview this afternoon with a person who has good knowledge of the Sox broadcasting situation, the in's and out's, who they work for and so forth. Just something for the future that will shed some light on the process by which Sox announcers are hired.

Second I had someone tell me who is in the broadcasting business that basically no one knows what the future holds for Steve because (according to this person) despite what you saw on TV, Hawk didn't really enjoy working with Steve... that he wasn't all that comfortable with him. Take it for what it may be worth to you.

Lip

I've recently heard the same thing.

SoxyStu
02-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I can't help but think that Hawk can only get along with meek personalities. His ego just can't deal with the conflict.

Brian26
02-12-2008, 08:08 PM

That does not surprise me in the least. Hawk's style was cramped during that week of games with Stone, no matter how good anyone says they sounded.

Brian26
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
To me, listening to Stone was like going back in time to the Harry/Stone days....and knowing that you could learn something about baseball by listening to Stone.

I like Stone, but don't overcompliment his work. Hawk has provided plenty of insight over the years, moreso than any bland, generic national commentator would (like Gary Thorne or Thom Brennaman).

We need GOOD pbp men, and right now, we have one good one COMBINED between DJ & Singleton.

That's just an insane comment. Between DJ and Singleton, we have ZERO combined good pbp guys. Right now, the Sox have four color commentators. Hawk is adequate because he's been doing it so long.

I think Singleton has it tougher because Farmer's timing sometimes is just horrible, IMO.

Singleton would suck with or without Farmer. He's terrible.

kba
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Anyone think DJ has potential for PBP? I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

I would. On his good days, DJ is passable as an analyst. His play-by-play is brutal.

The only good play-by-play guy the Sox have had in the last fifteen years was John Rooney. Apparently, the philosophy now is to throw a bunch of ex-jocks in the booth and hope they magically develop into major-market broadcasters.

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
That's just an insane comment. Between DJ and Singleton, we have ZERO combined good pbp guys. Right now, the Sox have four color commentators. Hawk is adequate because he's been doing it so long.

DJ Is much better doing Fox coverage than he is with Hawk. Singleton does PBP fairly well, when Farmio is silent.

Saying Hawk is adequate because he's doing it so long is settling. None of us felt we were settling with John Rooney on mike, so why is it ok that Hawk, because he's been "doing it for so long", gets to nillify some positives of his partner? Stone at least keeps talking when the team is playing poorly; Hawk starts to pout. How is that a positive?

Soxfest
02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Hawk needs to get over it since Pacoriek left the TV booth they still have not found a suitable replacement.