PDA

View Full Version : Where should the White Sox have Spring Training?

Fenway
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I think they should go back to Florida where they had a long history and left behind many loyal fans.

Sarasota is open it appears.

A. Cavatica
02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree. I like grapefruit better than cactus any day.

Frater Perdurabo
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I too prefer Florida, for the reasons Lip stated in another thread: Arizona's climate is not conducive to scouting pitchers. Also, and this is nothing against anyone from Arizona, but I like fishing more than golf.

MarySwiss
02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I didn't vote because I really don't have a preference between Tucson and Glendale. But definitely Arizona.

Edit: Glendale's actually closer, but ST in Tucson gives me a reason to go down there once a year. Otherwise, I doubt I would.

sox1970
02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I like AZ. The move to Glendale will be good. Closer to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Chicken Dinner
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I think the question should be "Where ARE the White Sox going to have spring training". :?:

Chez
02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I love Tuscon. Less congested than the Phoenix area and lots to do besides baseball.

Fenway
02-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Sarasota is trying to keep the Reds

an editoral from the Sarasota paper today

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080212/OPINION/802120438/1030

Steelrod
02-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I HATE humidity!

TDog
02-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I have always believed that Arizona was a better spring training location than Florida. March weather can be inconsistent in both places, but normally Arizona gets a lot less rain.

I know a lot of people who prefer Florida because of the beaches. But I don't see the White Sox ever going back to Florida.

Steelrod
02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I have always believed that Arizona was a better spring training location than Florida. March weather can be inconsistent in both places, but normally Arizona gets a lot less rain.

I know a lot of people who prefer Florida because of the beaches. But I don't see the White Sox ever going back to Florida.
As usual, I agree with you. Long term leases tend to make people settle in.

cws05champ
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Most definitely Florida. Then I could see them EVERY Spring...living down here in Boca Raton. It will not happen, but I can dream.

At least I get to see 4-5 different teams every spring training...even if it's not the Sox. So I can't complain.

Whitesox029
02-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I too prefer Florida, for the reasons Lip stated in another thread: Arizona's climate is not conducive to scouting pitchers. Also, and this is nothing against anyone from Arizona, but I like fishing more than golf.
I think this is absolutely right (except for the fishing/golf :smile:). Not only is it horrible for scouting pitchers, but the 'high sky,' as Farmio calls it, makes it difficult to evaluate outfielders' defensive skills. And on top of that, the best three of the other four AL Central teams train in Florida, so we would be able to get a look at what Detroit, Cleveland and Minnesota were packing before the season starts. Before you say that they could see our team in kind, remember that Ozzie is notorious for not managing to win in ST. I don't know how valid that argument is; I'm just throwing it out there. The pitchers are the real reason I think the Sox should return to Florida.

TDog
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
... but the 'high sky,' as Farmio calls it, makes it difficult to evaluate outfielders' defensive skills. ...

The Sox have a practice field in Tucson where in the afternoon, the right fielder is looking directly into the sun, often with a cloudless sky. You learn to play right on that field, and you can play it anywhere.

ode to veeck
02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I like Tuscon, but it's dry heat!

soxwon
02-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I think they should go back to Florida where they had a long history and left behind many loyal fans.

Sarasota is open it appears.
Jerry (champion maker) reinsdorf lives in phoenix area.
Enough said-Close the thread!!!!

soxwon
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I HATE humidity!

i love humidity, makes a man out of ya !!!!

Chicken Dinner
02-12-2008, 04:01 PM
The pitchers are the real reason I think the Sox should return to Florida.

That's why they practice in the humidor. :D:

Pods4455
02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
I LOVE the Arizona league. Ive been to Cubs spring training (please dont throw anything- my ex of 3 years plays for the cubs, so it was a free trip in which I dropped him off @ Hohokum every day and drove his rental car elsewhere to see other teams play while he was "at baseball"- HA) for the last 3 years and there's NOTHING better. I also lived in Daytona Beach for 4 months and I have to say that the climate is better for FANS watching baseball... I love how close proximity almost all the teams are to Pheonix/Scottsdale (seeings how the Cubs were in Mesa, it was easy for me to drive to other stadiums on a regular basis to see other teams play)... and I love how the ENTIRE area down there turns into baseball HEAVEN. I did HATE the long drives to Tuscon to see the Sox play, but lucky for me.. the majority of the time they had away games @ other stadiums that were closer and I didnt get in trouble for driving the almost 3 hours to go see them play...

Not to mention, my aunt and uncle live in Glendale so NEXT year when I take my then 1 year old son to spring training, I get to visit and spend time with my family and can basically WALK to the games! =)

PS- has anyone ever been to the Scottsdale Mall durring spring training durring the evening? The majority of games are played durring the day so going to that mall (which is REALLY close to a lot of super nice resteraunts as well) is like baseball player sighting extravaganza. My ex and I went to the mall almost every night (shopping/dinner/movies) and ALWAYS ran into some big leaguer he knew, or a group of minor leaguers from other teams... alllll the players hang out there.. its nuts... I cant even count the number of times I'd go see a team play then see 1/2 the starting lineup walking out of the food court on the lower floor!

Steelrod
02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
The Sox have a practice field in Tucson where in the afternoon, the right fielder is looking directly into the sun, often with a cloudless sky. You learn to play right on that field, and you can play it anywhere.
I can't imagine what it's like playing on a field like that!

Steelrod
02-12-2008, 06:11 PM
i love humidity, makes a man out of ya !!!!
A damp one, maybe!

RockJock07
02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I like AZ. I was out there maybe 3 years ago and the view of the mountains from TEP is just amazing. Tucson doesn't really do it for me, but I'm looking forward for them to move into Glendale.

Question, do they go in with the Dodgers next ST or will it be later then that. I think being coupled with the Dodgers will help. LA always has the best prospects, so maybe the sox can learn alittle something about scouting. Plus playing so many CL games agaisnt them wouldn't hurt either.

oeo
02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Question, do they go in with the Dodgers next ST or will it be later then that. I think being coupled with the Dodgers will help. LA always has the best prospects, so maybe the sox can learn alittle something about scouting. Plus playing so many CL games agaisnt them wouldn't hurt either.

Not unless they find someone to take on their lease (which goes until 2012, I think).

LITTLE NELL
02-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Bonita Springs Fl works for me.

Railsplitter
02-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Sarasota. I remeber when they trained there, the Pirates were next next door in Bradenton and the played several times each time.

mwc44
02-13-2008, 12:19 AM

I can't imagine what it's like playing on a field like that!

:rolling::kneeslap::rolling:

Retirement kept a few people off that hideous excuse for a field... sort of makes you appreciate the schedule maker, huh? :cool:

Medford Bobby
02-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Jerry (champion maker) reinsdorf lives in phoenix area.
Enough said-Close the thread!!!!

Again, there should be no argument here, IF Jerry could built the ballpark in his back-yard, it would have been there already.......:o:

chisox77
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
The White Sox should look further west, even past California.

How about Spring Training in Kona, Hawaii?

:cool:

Fenway
02-13-2008, 10:20 AM
The White Sox should look further west, even past California.

How about Spring Training in Kona, Hawaii?

:cool:

A White Sox official once told me that the team knew they had a problem when players seemed happy about being sent back to AAA when the team was in Honolulu in the early 80's. The White Sox solved the problem by moving the team to Edmonton.

skobabe8
02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
A White Sox official once told me that the team knew they had a problem when players seemed happy about being sent back to AAA when the team was in Honolulu in the early 80's. The White Sox solved the problem by moving the team to Edmonton.

LOL.

I like AZ. I like all of the teams being within a relatively short drive of each other.

soxwon
02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
I like AZ. I was out there maybe 3 years ago and the view of the mountains from TEP is just amazing. Tucson doesn't really do it for me, but I'm looking forward for them to move into Glendale.

A good friend in Arizona, knows people surrounding this move.
They told him, it isnt going to happen. Sox will stay in Tucson 4 more springs.
This hopefully will change, and word is the park wont be ready until 2010

I get real tired of watching us play ariz and Colorado like 15 times in ST.

Fenway
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM

So what happens to the Dodgers????

moochpuppy
02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Now that I live in Ft. Myers, I would love for the Sox to return to Sarasota. All spring I have to listen to all the Red Sox and Twins fans here.

moochpuppy
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I HATE humidity!

From mid February to end of March there really isn't much of it. Now, stick around until May......:raincloud:

Chicken Dinner
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM

I to am sick of the Rockies and Dbacks playing 15 times each spring.

The construction company is guaranteeing the new stadiums completion for 2009.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/peoria/articles/0129gl-baseball0130-ON.html

Southsider101
02-13-2008, 07:41 PM

And that's the very reason that there hasn't been a PCL team in Honolulu since the 1980s

MarySwiss
02-13-2008, 07:49 PM

So what happens to the Dodgers????

Wow. We'll all just wait and see, but if I had to predict, I'd bet the Sox and Dodgers will be playing in the new stadium in Glendale in 2009.

Cleveland's coming out here too, and I heard tell that the Reds were also being courted.

If true, Florida will just have to deal with it, I guess.

Fenway
02-13-2008, 08:23 PM
From mid February to end of March there really isn't much of it. Now, stick around until May......:raincloud:

I know how bad Tampa is in the summer so I shudder what Ft Myers must be like. I have to admit I don't like Ft Myers in March as traffic on 41 is just brutal.

I haven't read it for years but I believe Jim Bouton in Ball Four wrote on how nobody in Honolulu wanted to be promoted to Seattle.

PKalltheway
02-13-2008, 08:23 PM

And then you get to see them play each other 19 more times in the regular season!:tongue:

michned
02-13-2008, 10:17 PM
I just think it's funny how many times "Tucson" has been misspelled in this thread (even Fenway misspelled it in the poll!). :cool:

DoItForDanPasqua
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I would love it if a few teams would train in Las Vegas. I doubt Bud will let this happen, but it would be great to take in a ball game before all the drinking and gambling begins.

goofymsfan
02-14-2008, 12:26 AM
I would love it if a few teams would train in Las Vegas. I doubt Bud will let this happen, but it would be great to take in a ball game before all the drinking and gambling begins.

Seems as though it's become an annual event for the M's to play the Cubs in Vegas for a couple of exhibition games.:rolleyes:

EndemicSox
02-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Hawaii would be sweet...as long as 5+ other teams made the move as well...

MarySwiss
02-14-2008, 08:09 AM
I just think it's funny how many times "Tucson" has been misspelled in this thread (even Fenway misspelled it in the poll!). :cool:

You know, that has got to be one of the most frequently misspelled city names there is, and I'm not sure why; it's not like it's "Albuquerque" or "Waxahatchie" or something. In fact, I would think "Chicago" would be harder to spell, but you rarely see it misspelled anyplace.

Weird.:?:

Viva Medias B's
02-14-2008, 08:29 AM
I voted for Tucson, obviously. I like Florida, but Arizona is better. Unless things get rolling, which they appear not to be at this time, the White Sox will remain in the Old Pueblo beyond this year.

soxwon
02-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Dodgers yes wsox no, unless we maybe buy out of our contract.

soxwon
02-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Seems as though it's become an annual event for the M's to play the Cubs in Vegas for a couple of exhibition games.:rolleyes:

the fans go see the cubs, get a cubbie boner and go plop down a 100 on da loveable LOSERS to win the series.
Vegas invites them every year to play, the suckers eat it up.