PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Flash Cards

chaotic8512
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
I asked my girlfriend what she wants for Valentine's Day, and she came up with the idea for me to make her flash cards so she would know everything about the team come opening day. And she's completely serious. (Yeah, how lucky am I?) Could you guys give me suggestions of things to put on there? I really want to make this good! Here's the list of everything I've thought of so far:

Name of stadium/location
Division & league
Other teams in ALC
Current roster
Minor league affiliates
Alternate team names (Palehose, Good Guys, etc.)
Years of world championships
Black Sox Scandal
Rival teams
Best players in franchise history
Logos & jerseys
Baseball basics

Keep in mind that we're both not from Chicago, and she's never been before... but I look to change that this summer. Thanks for any help you guys can give. :smile:

Whitesox029
02-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I asked my girlfriend what she wants for Valentine's Day, and she came up with the idea for me to make her flash cards so she would know everything about the team come opening day. And she's completely serious. (Yeah, how lucky am I?) Could you guys give me suggestions of things to put on there? I really want to make this good! Here's the list of everything I've thought of so far:

Name of stadium/location
Division & league
Other teams in ALC
Current roster
Minor league affiliates
Black Sox Scandal
Rival teams
Logos & jerseys
Baseball basics

Keep in mind that we're both not from Chicago, and she's never been before... but I look to change that this summer. Thanks for any help you guys can give. :smile:
I envy you greatly.
Under best players, make sure to include retired numbers...and use WSI's resources too. You can probably make one card with lots of facts for each current player, stuff like their career best seasons, how they came to be with the Sox. A good grounding in the 2005 championship season can't hurt either.

soxgirl617
02-12-2008, 04:13 PM
You have a great list already. Perhaps a"subcategory" of the name/location of the stadium is to teach her about Old Comiskey: location against the street, history, etc.

I wish my boyfriend would show the same amount of interest in the White Sox!

JohnTucker0814
02-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Name of stadium/location
Division & league
Other teams in ALC
Current roster
Minor league affiliates
Black Sox Scandal
Rival teams
Logos & jerseys
Baseball basics

good list...

add in
Nancy playing keyboard
Nah, Nah, Nah, Hey, Hey, Goodbye
Hawkism phrases
Roger Bossard

just to name a few off the top of my head!

John Barrett
02-12-2008, 09:07 PM
we keep the balls we catch
we don't litter our field
we go to the game for the game not the beer
no wave

WhiteSoxJunkie
02-13-2008, 02:22 PM
List every year the team made the postseason along with who they played, and the result.

DumpJerry
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
I wish my boyfriend would show the same amount of interest in the White Sox!
It's time for a new boyfriend.

Frontman
02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Historic moments for both the team and individual performances

Trivia moments like;

Carlton Fisk's brow-beating of Deion Sanders.

(Even Robin Ventura's brow getting beat by Nolan Ryan. MERCY!!)
:nolanventura
Comiskey Park hosted the First All-star game in MLB history, attached to the World's Fair in 1933.

The names of all the men who have been made into statues on the Concourse.

Things that made Comiskey and the Sox memorable in either being the first or the only park/team to have:

:shower:dinger
:andy

And how can you not include the two things we'd like to forget:

:R&R

Good luck, hope we can come up with even more ideas.

If I could, I'd suggest as well picking up "White Sox essential" as I learned a number of things about the team I didn't realize from that book.

chaotic8512
02-15-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks to all of you, those were some really good suggestions; I added many of them to the list of questions. I started her out with about 50 questions, as to not overload her, and she loves it. :)

I'll post a picture of my finished product later, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out! In the meantime, feel free to keep suggesting, as I'll continue making the cards until she's up to the knowledge of the average (but non-troll) WSI member.

Again, thanks for contributing. One of the many reasons I love WSI... people will definitely help you out.

(And now, I just have to say it... pitchers and catchers report tomorrow! Time to see what these 2008 White Sox are made of! WOOHOO!!!:bandance:)

Frontman
02-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, I can not believe I forgot to mention

"Disco Demolition"

Which was only the second worst baseball promotion in the history of the MLB.