PDA

View Full Version : Twins sign Livan

KenBerryGrab
02-12-2008, 09:16 AM
ACtually thought Kenny might take a run at him, but I'm glad he didn't.

"Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com reports that the Twins have signed SP Livan Hernandez to a one-year deal worth $5-$7 million."

Boondock Saint
02-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't see how it's a bad deal to pick him up. It's better to have too many pitchers than too few. It wouldn't have hurt to have had him competing with Danks and Floyd for a rotation spot.

Sargeant79
02-12-2008, 09:26 AM
They went from Johan Santana to Livan Hernandez. That's gotta be good for at least 3-4 extra wins this year for us.

I'm really surprised he signed in the AL, although I guess his options were dwindling. Batters hit over .300 against him in the NL last year, so this may not play out well for him in the stronger league.

Jaffar
02-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I thought he was demanding a bigger multi year contract and that is why teams were staying away. That doesn't seem that bad.

russ99
02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
I thought he was demanding a bigger multi year contract and that is why teams were staying away. That doesn't seem that bad.

I thought so too. Bummer. He's not a great pitcher but one heck of an inning eater. I was hoping for Liriano & kids to pitch for the Twins this year...

thedudeabides
02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the AL Central Livan. I look forward to seeing him pitch for the Twins. I don't think this is going to play out well for him. I'm glad Kenny stayed away.

thegooch
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I see the twins dealing him later on this year when they are out of it.

JUribe1989
02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. As was said before, it's never a problem to have too many pitchers, and who knows, maybe he'll work out, he can pitch and has had various successes. They signed Ramon Ortiz last year, he gave them a great month and then fizzled out and was never heard from again, but didn't cause any problem. They signed Ponson and it didn't work out, but it didn't cost much and didn't cause a problem. The Twins are everything the A's wish they could be.

btrain929
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't see how it's a bad deal to pick him up. It's better to have too many pitchers than too few. It wouldn't have hurt to have had him competing with Danks and Floyd for a rotation spot.

You think Livan would sign with a team where he had to compete for a starting rotation spot??

:rolleyes:

PaleHoser
02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a no-brainer bargain to me. Innings-eater at $5M.

That's $1M more than we'll pay Uribe to ride the pine pony this year for those scoring at home.

cws05champ
02-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not looking forward to facing him...Sox always seem to struggle with junk ball pitchers.

Foulke You
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Perhaps he overestimated his market value this year? Frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't get at least a 2 year deal given the insane market on starting pitching lately. Maybe MLB GMs are wising up to giving mediocre pitchers long term deals a la Jason Marquis.