PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to Memphis or Cleveland?

Jurr
02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
We're doing the White Sox groupie tour to start the season, and I hope some of you can come.
It all starts in Memphis for the Civil Rights game. If you haven't been to Autozone Park (the 'Cards AAA field), you're missing out. It's a gorgeous ballpark. The really cool thing about these games is the fact that the players always go to The Flying Saucer afterwards (or the night before if travel dictates such). This presents a great chance to meet and have a drink with any Sox player your heart desires. Lots of fun!

We are then heading back home to Pittsburgh, but we'll be hopping over to Cleveland on the way for the opener. I would love to see some of you guys out there.

If you guys want me to scope out some pre/post game spots in Cleveland, let me know! It would be awesome to have a good WSI showing at either location.

jenn2080
02-11-2008, 01:25 PM
My brother, Skotty, and I are going to Memphis. My brother and I may go to Detroit, but that is still up in the air.

Over By There
02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm almost certain me and Mrs. OBT are going to be in Memphis, just waiting on babysitting confirmation.

skottyj242
02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
My brother, Skotty, and I are going to Memphis. My brother and I may go to Detroit, but that is still up in the air.

Just to make it clear I am not her brother. :D: I am going to Detroit with my firm.

Cat Thief
02-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty sure we are making the trip. I just have to wait until the wife starts talking to me again.

DumpJerry
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Soxstarter and I will be in the Land of Elvis.

I'll most likely make it to Cleveland now that my mother has moved there.

soxwon
02-11-2008, 07:19 PM
We're doing the White Sox groupie tour to start the season, and I hope some of you can come.
It all starts in Memphis for the Civil Rights game. If you haven't been to Autozone Park (the 'Cards AAA field), you're missing out. It's a gorgeous ballpark. The really cool thing about these games is the fact that the players always go to The Flying Saucer afterwards (or the night before if travel dictates such). This presents a great chance to meet and have a drink with any Sox player your heart desires. Lots of fun!

We are then heading back home to Pittsburgh, but we'll be hopping over to Cleveland on the way for the opener. I would love to see some of you guys out there.

If you guys want me to scope out some pre/post game spots in Cleveland, let me know! It would be awesome to have a good WSI showing at either location.

You bet Da Reverand will be there speaking his sermons to Da Memphiittes.
Right field outfield second row.
Im going to get there Friday, ill find a bar to meet before the game saturday, and post it.

skottyj242
02-12-2008, 09:46 AM

It sucks that there's no weekends in Cleveland. I had a great time out there last year too bad it was freezing. It was the first or second weekend of the season last year and the Saturday game got moved from a night game to an afternoon game so we had to leave at like five in the morning. It was miserable and cold all weekend until like the bottom of the eighth on Sunday. We lost both games.

adidas773
02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
I'll be there with my brohams and Chicago peeps!!

Jurr
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Okay....sounds awesome! Memphis is my home away from home (dental school for four years, etc.), so I can give you guys the rundown.

1. The best place to hang out pre/post game is the Flying Saucer. You'll find it at the corner of second and Peabody. It's right across from Peabody Place, the big complex that lies in the middle of downtown. That's where all of the ballplayers go the night before and after ballgames. 200 beers to choose from, live music...it's incredible. That should be the WSI staging point.

2. Parking: I would suggest parking in one of the towers that lie around Peabody Place. There's two on Peabody Dr., two on Monroe, and a couple near Beale St. You can park all day for 10 bucks. If you get downtown earlier, you can park all day for cheaper than that.

3. Lodging: Downtown Memphis has a bunch of nice places to stay. My favorite is the Mariott off of Main St. If you're interested in saving a buck or two, you can stay in West Memphis, Arkansas, which is about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown. DO NOT stay in any hotels outside of the immediate downtown area. Baaaaad things happen the further you get away from downtown.

If any of you are definitely coming to Memphis, hit me up with a PM and I'll give you my number. I can answer any question in the world you may have about Memphis.

I CANNOT wait to get back to TN! GO SOX!!!!!

Over By There
02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Just bought my tickets and booked my hotel for Memphis. Can't wait. :cool:

soxstarter
02-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Yeap....like Dump says.......

We should be in Memphis Friday night, then for the game. If anyone is going out Friday????? Beale Street is great.

skottyj242
02-19-2008, 10:21 AM

We should be in Memphis Friday night, then for the game. If anyone is going out Friday????? Beale Street is great.

We should be down there Friday night but it won't be until around midnight.

jenn2080
02-19-2008, 10:41 AM
We should probably work on getting a hotel this week.

skottyj242
02-19-2008, 10:43 AM
We should probably work on getting a hotel this week.

I bought the tickets. :D:

ChiSox Fan 68
02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

We're getting in Friday around 5pm so we'll definitely hit Beale Street and probably also the Flyer Saucer, per Jurr's suggestion.

soxwon
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
We're getting in Friday around 5pm so we'll definitely hit Beale Street and probably also the Flyer Saucer, per Jurr's suggestion.

same here, if anyones driving down, have your sox championship car flag flying, we can do a convoy, honk as you pass each other.

Flying Saucer 7pm-Be there, ill have my Da Reverand jersey on.

skottyj242
02-19-2008, 11:56 AM
same here, if anyones driving down, have your sox championship car flag flying, we can do a convoy, honk as you pass each other.

You're going to wear your jersey to the bar the night before the game? Don't be that guy.

jenn2080
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Oh my that is so lame there is not even words to describe the lameness of that.

chisoxmike
02-19-2008, 12:49 PM

That MAY have been neat if this were to be happening for Spring Training 2006. MAY is the key word.

Cat Thief
02-19-2008, 02:21 PM
We are going to be staying in Germantown TN. About 20 mi away but from what I am reading much safer/cheaper.

soxstarter
02-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Germantown is nice but downtown Memphis is no worse than DT Chicago.

The Flying Saucer looks like fun, esp. if the players show.

You should think about Rendezvous for dinner though. You will never find ribs our barbecue any better than what you can find in West Tennessee and Rendezvous makes some of the best. The place is very close to the ball park and the Peabody.

We haven't made our reservations yet either. Where is everyone else staying?

DumpJerry
02-19-2008, 10:37 PM
We are going to be staying in Germantown TN. About 20 mi away but from what I am reading much safer/cheaper.
Germantown is full of private golf courses and homes occupied by Fed Ex executives.

ChiSox Fan 68
02-19-2008, 10:44 PM

You should think about Rendezvous for dinner though. You will never find ribs our barbecue any better than what you can find in West Tennessee and Rendezvous makes some of the best. The place is very close to the ball park and the Peabody.

We were going to stay at the Peabody but it was really expensive. So we are now at the Sleep Inn at Court Square.

TFLEM33
02-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I lived in Memphis too while I was in pharmacy school. I now live in Knoxville, TN, but will be making the drive across the state to see the Sox. Can't wait! Go Sox!

P.S. I definitely agree with Jurr. The Saucer will be the place to go.

BadFarmio
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey guys . . . I'm new to the board. If anyone is heading to opening day in Cleveland, I'll be there hosting a radio show somewhere on the main level from 12-2pm. Probably on the fan deck in left field. I'm a lifelong Sox fan from Chicago, but now I host a sports radio show in Ohio. I hope Sox fans show up and make some noise in that place!

Jurr
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Germantown is full of private golf courses and homes occupied by Fed Ex executives.
Germantown was our escape to the 'burbs. The best part was actually being able to eat on a patio and not having to tell 3 bums 'No, you can't have any money'.

Jurr
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM

Don't forget to look up West Memphis, AR for good rates. It's very close to downtown and you probably would save a pretty penny.

Cat Thief
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Sounds like a nice place to stay with the family. Now if it were just the wife and I most likely we would stay downtown.

We are getting a suite in Germantown with 2 dbls. for $159. Not a bad deal. It's pretty close to Auto Zone, Graceland and the zoo. Should be a good time.