PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Hardin: I screwed up bigtime

Fenway
02-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Roger's lawyer Ben Matlock (aka Rusty Hardin) admits that Roger will now most likely be the target of a Federal probe.

He regrets shooting his mouth off on Saturday

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/02/11/2008-02-11_rusty_hardin_probe_in_roger_clemens_futu.html

"If he ever messes with Roger, Roger will eat his lunch," Hardin said in the New York Times article.

"I lost my cool. It's not a very judicious statement," Hardin conceded to The News last night. "This is the frustration of what these guys are doing."

Lupica unloads on Rusty

Rusty Hardin can't stop talking (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/02/10/2008-02-10_rusty_hardin_cant_stop_talking.html)

ComiskeyBrewer
02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
This guy must be the worst lawyer ever.

Rockin Robin
02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Every time I see this guy, the only thing I can think of is that stuttering second lawyer they brought in for the case in My Cousin Vinny.

sssss-ssssss-ssssssst-sssssssteeeee-sterrrrrrroids

Fenway
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Every time I see this guy, the only thing I can think of is that stuttering second lawyer they brought in for the case in My Cousin Vinny.

sssss-ssssss-ssssssst-sssssssteeeee-sterrrrrrroids

If this was television it would be Jack McCoy vs Ben Matlock in a Manhattan court room.

Matlock would pull one of his stunts and be locked up on Rikers for a month.

This clown is going to put Roger in jail.

D. TODD
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
If Roger goes it will be Roger lying that will put Roger in jail.

Irishsox1
02-11-2008, 04:10 PM
This guy Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) must be a total moron to say this "To me, it smacks of the McCarthy era,"

There is a massive difference between the right to join or attend a political party and cleaning up illegal drug use in professional sports.

D. TODD
02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
This guy Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) must be a total moron to say this "To me, it smacks of the McCarthy era,"

There is a massive difference between the right to join or attend a political party and cleaning up illegal drug use in professional sports.
Well, there still is nobody going for using 'roids, etc. Only distributors are going to the joint. Now some players have put theirself in the precarious position of possible jailtime because of perjury to protect their name as a user, but that is a separate issue almost. No prosecutions for users have happened as far as I know. The witchhunt/McCarthy statements I think have been more attributed to the media and their speculations etc. Feds always use perjury as the hammer to get you to sing about who they want, and the feds don't **** around.

Fenway
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
If Roger goes it will be Roger lying that will put Roger in jail.

A good lawyer would give Roger better advice.

Now this clown has spit in the face of the IRS agent......Roger had better be able to account for every penny he has gotten from card shows and to show he paid taxes on all of it.

bigfoot
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
An interesting column by Jason Whitlock on this subject.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7785720?MSNHPHMA

DumpJerry
02-11-2008, 04:30 PM
My friends who are New York lawyers tell me that Richard Emery (McNamee's lawyer) is not only very, very good, but mega-aggressive and you would wish you were dead rather than face him.

jackbrohamer
02-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Now this clown has spit in the face of the IRS agent.......

You're right, it's sheer amateurism on Hardin's part that can backfire terribly. His defense is that McNamee is an evildo-er with an irrational urge to destroy Clemens, even at the cost of going to jail for it. Which is idiotic. But to support that theory, he has to keep widening the conspiracy so that everyone in a position to support McNamee (e.g., ex-Sen. Mitchell; Novitzky) has to be part of the conspiracy. If Pettite &/or Knoblauch cross him Wednesday, look for Hardin to declare them to be part of the scheme as well.

Fenway
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
My friends who are New York lawyers tell me that Richard Emery (McNamee's lawyer) is not only very, very good, but mega-aggressive and you would wish you were dead rather than face him.

Partner in my wife's firm knows him well. Says he is one of the best.....

He doesn't know Hardin but told her there are better public defenders in South Boston than what Hardin has shown.

Hardin appears to be a lawyer that ignores the first thing they tell you at Harvard Law School

NEVER ASK A QUESTION YOU DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER TO

Jaffar
02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Partner in my wife's firm knows him well. Says he is one of the best.....

He doesn't know Hardin but told her there are better public defenders in South Boston than what Hardin has shown.

Hardin appears to be a lawyer that ignores the first thing they tell you at Harvard Law School

NEVER ASK A QUESTION YOU DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER TO

I still can't believe Clemens has Hardin for his defense when it seems so obvious he is out of his league to us normal folk.:redneck

Fenway
02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I still can't believe Clemens has Hardin for his defense when it seems so obvious he is out of his league to us normal folk.:redneck

I am guessing it was the Hendricks that found Hardin.

Notice Rusty hasn't added Roger to his client list yet :tongue:

http://www.rustyhardin.com/clients_case.asp?page=3

It appears his MAJOR claim to fame was beating Anna Nicole Smith in court.

http://www.rustyhardin.com/clients_case.asp?page=2

We served as co-lead trial counsel in the litigation surrounding the claims of Anna Nicole Smith and J. Howard Marshall III against the estate, corporation, and various trusts of J.Howard Marshall II.

oeo
02-11-2008, 05:24 PM

From the very first day I heard this guy talk, I wondered why Roger Clemens actually calls him his lawyer. Must be a family friend or something...

Rockin Robin
02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, that client list makes him even worse.

Nothing like bragging about getting Roy Tarpley, Eddie Griffin, Warren Moon, and Scottie Pippen off the hook!

Well done, Rus.

daveeym
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
From the very first day I heard this guy talk, I wondered why Roger Clemens actually calls him his lawyer. Must be a family friend or something... The one thing everyone needs to remember is what Rusty's advice is and what he's doing in public are more than likely two different things. He can sit there and tell Roger it's best to come clean, don't tempt congress and get yourself a perjury charge, etc., until he's blue in the face, but if Roger insists on denying all claims Rusty has to follow his clients wishes. I doubt good old Rog walked in and said, "I took them for this many years, you get me out of it."

Fenway
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
The last thing Roger needs right now is the IRS sniffing around.

There is a classic video of Roger that was shot by WBZ in Boston that could come back to haunt him.

After pitching what turned out to be his final game as a Red Sox, Roger showed up at the Twins sovenier shop across from Fenway. For 90 minutes he signed this special litho of his career and it cost $175. Close to 500 bought one. It was bizarre watching him sign and exchange virtually no smalltalk with fans who worshiped him. Meanwhile Debbie is running the cash drawer and credit card machine.

The media was in the store as his royal highness would grant interviews after he finished signing. Finally the last happy fan leaves and they start to tally up. What channel 4 got on tape was priceless. The Twins manager gives Debbie a large envelope and you can hear him say $41,000. Debbie opens the envelope and pulls out quite a few Benjamins and is heard to say 'cool'.

I am sure every dime was reported to IRS. I am also sure Bob Lobel and Channel 4 will reair the tape if things start getting hot for Roger.

I guess what also amazes me is by now hasn't any of Roger's friends said to him 'Who is this clown'?

One other thing to keep in mind. McNamee is broke and the only way he can afford a legal team this good is they must figure that they can sue Clemens for gazillons and WIN. They don't need the publicly and tarnish a bad case can bring.

daveeym
02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
One other thing to keep in mind. McNamee is broke and the only way he can afford a legal team this good is they must figure that they can sue Clemens for gazillons and WIN. They don't need the publicly and tarnish a bad case can bring. This probably meets their pro bono requirements (if they have any) and gets them amazing publicity. They don't have to sue Rog for anything. I'm sure they did their homework as well and don't want to be embarrassed but I wouldn't read that much into it. Winston & Strawn pro bono'd Governor Thompson's defense. It did back fire on them but they'd probably still do it 9 out of 10 times.

rocky biddle
02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Apparently Andy Petite asked to be excused from testifying publicly (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sports/baseball/12clemens.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin).

Pettitte asked out of public testimony because he did not want to say something to hurt his friend and former teammate while in the glare of national television coverage, according to a government official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

and

After Pettitte gave a two-and-a-half-hour deposition to committee lawyers on Feb. 4, he emerged looking shaken, and since then lawyers involved in the case say they think he gave testimony that could hurt Clemens.

I don't know why I want Clemens to be be guilty so badly, but I do.

SoxandtheCityTee
02-11-2008, 08:30 PM
If Clemens wanted a careful, thoughtful lawyer who counselled caution and conducted himself accordingly, did most of his talking in private and kept his client out of the legal limelight more than necessary, he'd have one. He wanted a pistol-packing motor mouthpiece who'd fight his battles in public because that's what Clemens's ego demands.

Clemens probably figures that getting a letter from a Congressman warning you that you might be breaking the law is a good thing. Shows you're tough, or whatever. The client and the lawyer deserve each other.

Frontman
02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Apparently Andy Petite asked to be excused from testifying publicly (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/sports/baseball/12clemens.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin).

I don't know why I want Clemens to be be guilty so badly, but I do.

Total garbage. If he has information, its going to come out anyways. It's not like if he gives damning testimony that leads to charges against Roger; that Congress can say, "We can't tell you where we got the information from."

Petite, be a freakin' man and stand in the open and say what you have to say. If it hurts your frienship with Roger, ask yourself what kind of a friend would leave something like this in the open where you'd be forced into this situation?

Simply put, stand up and have your say. I think a whole lot of baseball fans would respect you more if you did.

I know I would.

Viva Medias B's
02-11-2008, 08:39 PM

This side of Drew Peterson's lawyer.

WhiteSox5187
02-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Total garbage. If he has information, its going to come out anyways. It's not like if he gives damning testimony that leads to charges against Roger; that Congress can say, "We can't tell you where we got the information from."

Petite, be a freakin' man and stand in the open and say what you have to say. If it hurts your frienship with Roger, ask yourself what kind of a friend would leave something like this in the open where you'd be forced into this situation?

Simply put, stand up and have your say. I think a whole lot of baseball fans would respect you more if you did.

I know I would.
Can he be subpoenaed to testify?

oeo
02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
The one thing everyone needs to remember is what Rusty's advice is and what he's doing in public are more than likely two different things. He can sit there and tell Roger it's best to come clean, don't tempt congress and get yourself a perjury charge, etc., until he's blue in the face, but if Roger insists on denying all claims Rusty has to follow his clients wishes. I doubt good old Rog walked in and said, "I took them for this many years, you get me out of it."

It's the way he goes about everything that I'm talking about. I've found a lot of their 'strategy' very strange...all the way back to that press conference where they played the recorded phone call.

And if that's what his client wants to do, he shouldn't be doing a ****ty job of it. If that's the best job he can do, then why in the hell does Roger Clemens have a ****ty lawyer?

Fenway
02-11-2008, 10:32 PM
It's the way he goes about everything that I'm talking about. I've found a lot of their 'strategy' very strange...all the way back to that press conference where they played the recorded phone call.

And if that's what his client wants to do, he shouldn't be doing a ****ty job of it. If that's the best job he can do, then why in the hell does Roger Clemens have a ****ty lawyer?

Hardin made no friends in the broadcast wrld when the tape of the phone call started out with some F-Bombs.

Now I think Hardin's biggest concern is making sure Rocket doesn't explode in anger while testifying. It doesn't take much to set him off and I suspect if somebody asks about Debbie he just might lose it.

Honestly I think he will wind up in jail for tax evasion just like Rose.

daveeym
02-12-2008, 08:02 AM

And if that's what his client wants to do, he shouldn't be doing a ****ty job of it. If that's the best job he can do, then why in the hell does Roger Clemens have a ****ty lawyer?He can only work with what he's got. He might not be a good publicist but this guy got to where he is by being at least a decent lawyer. No doubt he's looked like a fool but I'm guessing that's due more to Rog tying his hands than his capabilities as a lawyer. Fenway keeps noting how he hasn't added Clemens to his list of clients, there's probably a reason for that.

Fenway
02-12-2008, 09:28 AM
The last person who worked this frantically to clear their name was Marion Jones. Even Bonds has never gone to the lengths that Roger and Hardin have done.

I have never come across a more arrogant athlete than Roger. Even Barry Bonds when he finally played at Fenway tried to work with the media crush last summer. Roger to this day has never admitted he asked off the mound in Game 6 at Shea because of a blister. John McNamarra and Bill Fisher both say he did and Roger has called them liars.

I fully expect him to implode tomorrow in DC. A Massachusetts congressman from Southie is on that committee and he promises tough questions. It should be interesting.

:popcorn:

Jaffar
02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
The last person who worked this frantically to clear their name was Marion Jones.

And how did that work out for her? Exactly!

chaerulez
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
From what I understand, it doesn't really matter if Pettite testifies tomorrow or not. He already gave a sworn statement a couple weeks ago, the testifying in public part was just an addition to the dog and pony show. Basically I think he didn't want to sell out his friend in front of him, but the fact that he already gave sworn testimony in private is all congress needs.

Fenway
02-12-2008, 12:59 PM
The tabloids have another field day
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/02/12/gal_frontpage_0212.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/02/11/2008-02-11_andy_pettitte_wont_talk_publicly_but_dam.html

NY Daily News poll

In light of recent events who do you believe is telling the truth in the Roger Clemens steroid saga?

Clemens 21%
McNamee 79%

Jaffar
02-12-2008, 01:12 PM
That's funny because I flipped on Mike & Mike this morning for a few minutes and Eric Casilious (sp?) was filling in for Greenberg and I had heard they were pro Clemens and they reported this part that way as well. They made it sound like Pettite wasn't needed because he had nothing relevant to the Clemens/McNamee situation.

Fenway
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Eric Wilbur from boston.com unloads on The Rocket (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2008/02/12/a_snitch_in_time/)

We can give Roger Clemens this: He’s apparently dumb enough to believe himself.

If Clemens hadn’t made a second career out of talking out of both sides of his mouth for more than two decades, perhaps it might be easier to believe him heading into tomorrow’s congressional hearing. Maybe.

Gerry Callahan in the Boston Herald as well

Tomorrow Clemens goes before Congress, where he will raise his famous right hand, swear to tell the truth and, presumably, lie his needle-marked rear end off. What choice does he have at this point? In less than two months, he will have morphed from an iconic baseball war horse, a modern-day Walter Johnson, into another Bonds, a self-absorbed phony who was consumed by arrogance and greed. He couldn’t just be a great ballplayer. He had to be the best, by whatever means necessary.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1072949&srvc=home&position=active

jackbrohamer
02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
AHA now the Chair of the House Oversight Committee is part of the anti-Roger conspiracy! Everyone, everywhere is out to get poor Rog, for no reason! (From today's NY Times article posted earlier in this thread)

"Hardin also had some strong words for Waxman, who is leading the investigation...`You have a chairman who is going down the tubes because his own committee doesn’t support what he is doing,” Hardin said in the phone interview.' He added, `You guys are being used by people that want to get Roger Clemens, and you should be looking deep within yourselves.'"

Fenway
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Rep Steven Lynch a Red Sox season ticket holder promises he will ask Roger very, very tough questions.

http://www.house.gov/lynch/

http://oversight.house.gov/