PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News: 10 teams to watch in spring training

Fenway
02-11-2008, 09:43 AM
The White Sox are one of the 10 teams

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/02/10/2008-02-10_with_spring_training_on_horizon_a_look_a.html?p rint=1&page=all

downstairs
02-11-2008, 11:37 AM
That's a pretty solid list, pretty much all the teams I'm interested in as far as big changes/big expectations.

The Phillies look real interesting this year. One year wonder? Finally a World Series in Philly?

RowanDye
02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
We're counting on Dye to regress to his mean and be the every day RF.

So if Quentin is so important and we gave up the farm for Swisher, where does that leave our supposed leadoff hitter Jerry Owens?

I'm not saying it's a problem to have 4 good outfielders, but I don't think their skill sets complement each other very well.

Owens is the only one with ideal leadoff potential.

No combination of the 4 players can play above average defense, particularly if Owens is included.

I suppose it could work out for the best though.

If Quentin plays as well as KW expects, then Ozzie would have the luxury of resting Thome/Dye/ or Konerko while playing Swisher in RF/1B/ or DH.

Edit: I think the best outfield defense is probably Swisher in LF, Owens in CF, and Quentin in RF. Weak arms in LF and CF, but overall decent range.

steely712
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
We're counting on Dye to regress to his mean and be the every day RF.

So if Quentin is so important and we gave up the farm for Swisher, where does that leave our supposed leadoff hitter Jerry Owens?

I'm not saying it's a problem to have 4 good outfielders, but I don't think their skill sets complement each other very well.

Owens is the only one with ideal leadoff potential.

No combination of the 4 players can play above average defense, particularly if Owens is included.

I suppose it could work out for the best though.

If Quentin plays as well as KW expects, then Ozzie would have the luxury of resting Thome/Dye/ or Konerko while playing Swisher in RF/1B/ or DH.

Edit: I think the best outfield defense is probably Swisher in LF, Owens in CF, and Quentin in RF. Weak arms in LF and CF, but overall decent range.

If this is true, where do we put Dye? you can't bench PK or Thome

sox1970
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM

I'd bench Thome against lefties 80% of the time, including opening day.

spiffie
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Jim Thome should face about as many left-handed pitchers this year as I will. He is a liability to the team playing DH against lefties.

Huisj
02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Eveland and Gonzalez are strong candidates to crack the A's rotation and both Gonzalez and Sweeney could wind up in the starting outfield.

So the A's want Gio in the rotation and the outfield? Wow.