PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Times On The 2008 White Sox

MCHSoxFan
02-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Link:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/786025,CST-SPT-sox10.article

Frater Perdurabo
02-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Good article. Everything is true. As Contreras goes, so goes the rotation, so goes the team.

kevin57
02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree, and it has me nervous. Two years ago when the Sox won it all, we were chuckling about how old Jose really was. That was then. I can't see him having anything more than a .500 season...and that's when I'm in my sunniest disposition.:(:

Madvora
02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I never really thought about Ramirez actually getting on this team yet, it just seemed like it was accepted that he would start in the minors, but really what has Richar really done that people (especially Hawk) are gushing over so much? A .230 average? Should 2B really not be completely up in the air?

oeo
02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I never really thought about Ramirez actually getting on this team yet, it just seemed like it was accepted that he would start in the minors, but really what has Richar really done that people (especially Hawk) are gushing over so much? A .230 average? Should 2B really not be completely up in the air?

First of all, it is 'up in the air.' Richar, Uribe, Ramirez, and even Ozuna are supposed to compete for the starting job. And who knows...maybe Chris Getz surprises some people in Spring Training.

Secondly, Richar impressed people with his ability to work the count and have good ABs, as well as hitting the ball very hard from day one (even if they were outs). I have high expectations for him this year.

btrain929
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
First of all, it is 'up in the air.' Richar, Uribe, Ramirez, and even Ozuna are supposed to compete for the starting job. And who knows...maybe Chris Getz surprises some people in Spring Training.

Secondly, Richar impressed people with his ability to work the count and have good ABs, as well as hitting the ball very hard from day one (even if they were outs). I have high expectations for him this year.

I agree. It seemed like with the majority of his at-bats last year, the bad thing is he got down quickly 0-2/1-2 everytime. The good thing is he almost always worked it back to 3-2. He also appears very slick in the field, whether feeding or turning the DP. Hopefully this competition will push Richar to be his best, he'll grab the 2b position, and Ramirez will be groomed in AAA and tear it up so he can be a full-time contributor in '09 at SS or CF.

ShoelessJoeS
02-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I agree, and it has me nervous. Two years ago when the Sox won it all, we were chuckling about how old Jose really was. That was then. I can't see him having anything more than a .500 season...and that's when I'm in my sunniest disposition.:(:Am I foolish to believe that Jose is going to bounce back and have a good year?

jabrch
02-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Am I foolish to believe that Jose is going to bounce back and have a good year?

There is nothing wrong with believing...Now don't go betting the house on it unless you get some pretty damn good odds...

btrain929
02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Am I foolish to believe that Jose is going to bounce back and have a good year?

I guess it depends on what your definition of a good year is. I'd be happy with 13-13 with a 4.3 era. I'm hoping for better (15-10 with a 3.9 era), but my first prediction, I don't think, is TOO out of the realm.

hi im skot
02-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Danny Richar is going to be solid at second.

Sox
02-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Is this a reliable source for all things White Sox?

KyWhiSoxFan
02-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Is this a reliable source for all things White Sox?

Boy, is that a loaded question.

Corlose 15
02-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Did anyone hear Hawk's interview with mlb.com? In it he mentioned that Contreras got served with divorce papers the day before opening day.:o:

It kind of puts last years opener into perspective.

Having that resolved plus with getting his velocity back and doing pretty well to end the season last year gives me some optimism for Jose for this season.

oeo
02-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Did anyone hear Hawk's interview with mlb.com? In it he mentioned that Contreras got served with divorce papers the day before opening day.:o:

It kind of puts last years opener into perspective.

Having that resolved plus with getting his velocity back and doing pretty well to end the season last year gives me some optimism for Jose for this season.

I just listened to it now...same reactionn: :o: The worst part about it is he wasn't even expecting it. :(:

I really hope Jose bounces back. Nothing I'd like to see more than him walking off with standing ovation after standing ovation in the postseason again.

PalehosePlanet
02-10-2008, 11:36 PM
I really hope Jose bounces back. Nothing I'd like to see more than him walking off with standing ovation after standing ovation in the postseason again.

Me too. And, actually, FWIW Jose is my pick for comeback player of the year. I worry more about wether Gavin and Danks can turn the corner this year and be able to give us 175 innings each.

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Am I the only one who is puzzled by the idea of Uribe at second base? About his only saving grace last year was the cannon attached to his right shoulder, and a strong throwing arm is hardly a major qualification for a second baseman.

KyWhiSoxFan
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Am I the only one who is puzzled by the idea of Uribe at second base? About his only saving grace last year was the cannon attached to his right shoulder, and a strong throwing arm is hardly a major qualification for a second baseman.

I'm puzzled every time I see Uribe batting.

spiffie
02-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm puzzled every time I see Uribe batting.
Apparently Juan is as well.

Sargeant79
02-11-2008, 10:11 AM

His defense was very good when he played the position regularly in the past, although that was a few years and many cheeseburgers ago. Despite that, I think that he will, at worst, be above average defensively at second.

I also am among those that think that Richar will snatch the job and have at least 120 starts at 2B this year.

russ99
02-11-2008, 10:14 AM
We'll have to see about Uribe. If he's tuned out management's wake up call, he'll be gone before opening day. If he comes to camp on time, in shape and willing to work, he could nose out Richar for the starting spot.

Besides, Richar could use another half season to develop his hitting further at AAA. If not, he's good defensively and is an OK bat in the 9th spot.

Alexei Ramirez is the wildcard. No one knows how he'll handle a Major League spring camp. He could be the surprise of the spring or he could be among the first set of guys sent to the minor league camp. I'm not expecting much and I think he'll at least need a few months getting use to better pitchers (than Cuba) in Charlotte.

I know Ozzie's got a man crush on Ozuna, but I don't see him playing everyday. He'll get plenty of at bats vs. lefties filling in for Owens/Richar.

I'm OK with Contreras as long as the Sox expect him to be a 3/4 starter. If they think he'll go back to late/postseason 2005 form, they're expecting too much.

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2008, 12:16 PM

That cannon will be an asset for the tremendous number of 4-5-6 and 4-5-3 double plays that need to be turned. Do I have to use teal?
:)

Hokiesox
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
That cannon will be an asset for the tremendous number of 4-5-6 and 4-5-3 double plays that need to be turned. Do I have to use teal?

4-5-6? Does Fields/Crede have to cover second and our SS covers first? Did a Bears coach design this one?

Frater Perdurabo
02-11-2008, 06:52 PM
4-5-6? Does Fields/Crede have to cover second and our SS covers first? Did a Bears coach design this one?

With Uribe's arm, with runners at first and second, a grounder to second (Uribe) ought to allow the Sox to nail the lead runner going into third, then have Fields/Crede throw back to Cabrera to force the runner at second. In fact, I'm predicting lots of triple plays!
:supernana:

If it was a Bears coach designing this, all the fielders would run seven-yard button hook routes, then drop the ball when it's thrown to them.
:tongue: