PDA

View Full Version : Crede for Schmidt??

getonbckthr
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
According to http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8219026 the Dodgers are interested in Joe Blanton. If they were to acquire him would a Schmidt for Crede deal work for either the Sox or LA? I see 2 teams getting fair value for past season injury concerns to fill holes.

Craig Grebeck
02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
According to http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8219026 the Dodgers are interested in Joe Blanton. If they were to acquire him would a Schmidt for Crede deal work for either the Sox or LA? I see 2 teams getting fair value for past season injury concerns to fill holes.
Schmidt has absolutely nothing left. I'd rather give Crede away than get Schmidt in return.

At their respective peaks, Schmidt is worth 1000000000000000000000x more than Crede.

CubKilla
02-10-2008, 03:39 PM

I'd take my chances with some of that LA bullpen for Crede.

SoxNation05
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd take my chances with some of that LA bullpen for Crede.
I think our bullpen is pretty set up with Wasserman and MacDougal fighting for a spot. We have already signed two set up men from the FA pool.

DSpivack
02-10-2008, 04:43 PM
They don't want to play Andy LaRoche?

Jjav829
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Plus, they still have Nomar. He's obviously not a guy you want defensively at 3B, but they're going to have to find some place to play him. It won't be 1B.

The Dodgers don't figure to have much interest in Crede.

SoxNation05
02-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Plus, they still have Nomar. He's obviously not a guy you want defensively at 3B, but they're going to have to find some place to play him. It won't be 1B.

The Dodgers don't figure to have much interest in Crede.
I say once he gets traded it will be to either the Giants, Houston or maybe the Angels.

munchman33
02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
With the sorry state of our starting pitching, Schmidt wouldn't hurt to have. It's not like we couldn't afford it with the money Kenny was alleged throwing around this offseason. And there's only two more years on his deal.

What do we have to lose? Crede's gone anyway.

Tragg
02-10-2008, 08:28 PM
What do we have to lose? Crede's gone anyway.
He may be gone, but if he's healthy in the spring, he'll have trade value, which should not be thrown away.

I hope we trade Uribe - because unless Richar comes out gangbusters in the first 2 weeks of April, Uribe's playing the rest of the way - and that would be sad.

munchman33
02-10-2008, 09:37 PM
He may be gone, but if he's healthy in the spring, he'll have trade value, which should not be thrown away.

I hope we trade Uribe - because unless Richar comes out gangbusters in the first 2 weeks of April, Uribe's playing the rest of the way - and that would be sad.

People keep saying "if he's healthy in spring training" like that's what teams need to see to give up the farm. Just because he's healthy enough to play this spring doesn't mean he'll hold up. He's still gonna be severely damaged goods. All him showing up to spring training able to move does is make him an inexpensive risk for someone. Because nobody will give us anything substantial for him.

Jjav829
02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
People keep saying "if he's healthy in spring training" like that's what teams need to see to give up the farm. Just because he's healthy enough to play this spring doesn't mean he'll hold up. He's still gonna be severely damaged goods. All him showing up to spring training able to move does is make him an inexpensive risk for someone. Because nobody will give us anything substantial for him.

Pretty much, and even if he is healthy, people have to be realistic about Joe Crede's value. Yeah, we all love him. But, he's going to be 30 years old this season. He has one full season in the majors with: an OBP above .308, an OPS above .756, more than 22 HRs, an average over .261. He plays arguably the best defensive 3B of anyone in baseball. He's signed for 1 more season.

What's that really worth? Our best hope is that a San Francisco team desperate for offense is willing to overpay.

PalehosePlanet
02-10-2008, 11:53 PM

LaRoche would be headed to Oakland in the Blanton deal.

russ99
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I say once he gets traded it will be to either the Giants, Houston or maybe the Angels.

The Astros are set at 3B with Wigginton. Also, if you mean Uribe, they have Tejada at SS, and if he misses time due to Mitchell-related issues, they have Mark Loretta on the bench who's more than capable.

I'd like to see a Crede deal to Milwaukee for Bush or Capuano. They need a 3B with Braun moving to the outfield.

btrain929
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
The Astros are set at 3B with Wigginton. Also, if you mean Uribe, they have Tejada at SS, and if he misses time due to Mitchell-related issues, they have Mark Loretta on the bench who's more than capable.

I'd like to see a Crede deal to Milwaukee for Bush or Capuano. They need a 3B with Braun moving to the outfield.

Cameron = CF
Bill Hall = 3B

Crede won't be going to Milwaukee. The Giants are really the only legitimate match.

russ99
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Cameron = CF
Bill Hall = 3B

Crede won't be going to Milwaukee. The Giants are really the only legitimate match.

I thought Bill Hall was more a bench player. Depending on health, Crede could be a pretty nice upgrade, and the Brewers have surplus pitching.

sircaffey1
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I thought Bill Hall was more a bench player. Depending on health, Crede could be a pretty nice upgrade, and the Brewers have surplus pitching.

Bill Hall is not a bench player. He's just not a CF.

gobears1987
02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I think our bullpen is pretty set up with Wasserman and MacDougal fighting for a spot. We have already signed two set up men from the FA pool.You can never have too much pitching.

raven1
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
You can never have too much pitching.
I agree, but at this point I think that the starting rotation is the bigger risk. Better to have a backup plan for Contreras/Danks/Floyd (Broadway doesn't count) than for Jenks/Thornton/Linebrink/Dotel.

cards press box
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Better to have a backup plan for Contreras/Danks/Floyd (Broadway doesn't count)

Why doesn't Broadway count? He pitches inside and attcks hitters. I think that Broadway will be a major league starter soon. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox add some depth to the starting rotation. A team can't have enough pitching depth, Two questions: (1) who is available and (2) what, if anything, would the Sox have to give up to acquire him.

sullythered
02-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Then we should just keep him. He's better than Fields.

If nobody is gonna give up anything substantial for him, nobody will offer him substantial money, either. If that is the case, we should re-sign him.