PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Affiliate Locations

The Thomenator
02-10-2008, 10:51 AM
For a long time now, I've been confused on why all of our minor league affiliates are in the South. You'd think by our affiliates' location that we are the Atlanta Braves.

What process would it take to move one or more of them close to home? An up and coming south suburb would eat up a low or high A ball team for example.

It would be great to see the Sox grow some talent close to home. Ok, let me rephrase that. It would be great to see the Sox grow some talent. It would be even better to see it in person.

jcw218
02-10-2008, 12:27 PM
IMO, one reason that the majority of our minor league teams are grouped together would be to reduce travel expenses associated with with the minor league roving instructors. Another reason might be that the White Sox feel that the level of competition is better. Also with the teams being the south, the weather is generally warmer and more conductive for longer seasons. I know that the White Sox did have an "A" ball affiliation with South Bend for a while.

SoxNation05
02-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I know if there was a single a team by me I would surely have gone and see DLS pitch.

sox1970
02-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I know if there was a single a team by me I would surely have gone and see DLS pitch.

Could he be at Kane County this year?

SoxNation05
02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Could he be at Kane County this year?
Oooo. If someone knows this I would love to know. I see them play 2-3 times a year.

sox1970
02-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Oooo. If someone knows this I would love to know. I see them play 2-3 times a year.

Actually, he probably will not be at Kane County because they are a low A team. He'll probably start the year at Advanced A.

Hitmenof77
02-11-2008, 02:00 PM
For a long time now, I've been confused on why all of our minor league affiliates are in the South. You'd think by our affiliates' location that we are the Atlanta Braves.

What process would it take to move one or more of them close to home? An up and coming south suburb would eat up a low or high A ball team for example.

It would be great to see the Sox grow some talent close to home. Ok, let me rephrase that. It would be great to see the Sox grow some talent. It would be even better to see it in person.

There are a lot of reasons why the White Sox have their minor leagues in the South. Some of it is the money, like somebody mentioned it's cheaper to send instructors down there and within a 10 hour drive, most of the White Sox minor league teams are there.

Picture the White Sox minor league teams like a wheel, with Charlotte as the hub. One long string going to Birmingham. Another going to Winston-Salem. Another going to Kanapolis.

Another thing is the quality of facilities and fan support. Better stadiums and higher fan interest is important.

Quality of competition. This is subjective but both the Mid West League and South Atlantic League are low A. But the South Atlantic League is considered the better league.

California Sox
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
But the South Atlantic League is considered the better league.

I think that varies from year to year. A couple of years ago the Midwest League had Maybin, Bruce, Rasmus, and McCutcheon. That was a pretty good level of competition there.

Fenway
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
OK let us assume it is done to save money...

Still........many MLB teams try to have at least ONE minor league team close to the parent club

Boston
Pawtucket
Portland
Lowell

Yankees
Scranton
Trenton
Staten Island

Mets
Binghamton
Brooklyn

Indians
Buffalo
Akron
Eastlake, OH
Niles, OH,
and many others.........

at least make a pitch for Kane County.....sure they have had a good relationship with Oakland but I think they would jump for joy to get a Chicago team.

delben91
02-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Just go hang out at Cooperstown...he'll be there in about 23 years. I'll guarantee it, as long as he doesn't have any injury problems.

steely712
02-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Just go hang out at Cooperstown...he'll be there in about 23 years. I'll guarantee it, as long as he doesn't have any injury problems.

How in the hell can you even think that? The guy has not even played a major league game, and last time I looked he was still in single A. If he were that good he would be progressing to double A at least this year, forget about this guy, I am much happier with what we got in return

He gone
02-16-2008, 07:09 PM

If you don't mind the drive you can head down to Indianapolis or over to Toledo when the Knights are in down. We go every year to see them. I believe this year they are only coming up once to each city :angry:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/8079scoreboard.jpg

btrain929
02-17-2008, 12:44 AM
How in the hell can you even think that? The guy has not even played a major league game, and last time I looked he was still in single A. If he were that good he would be progressing to double A at least this year, forget about this guy, I am much happier with what we got in return

Go find out what it means to have a comment in teal, then come back and edit your post. :rolleyes:

bigfoot
03-02-2008, 09:41 AM
OK let us assume it is done to save money...

Still........many MLB teams try to have at least ONE minor league team close to the parent club

Boston
Pawtucket
Portland
Lowell

Yankees
Scranton
Trenton
Staten Island

Mets
Binghamton
Brooklyn

Indians
Buffalo
Akron
Eastlake, OH
Niles, OH,
and many others.........

at least make a pitch for Kane County.....sure they have had a good relationship with Oakland but I think they would jump for joy to get a Chicago team.

Perhaps the East Coast teams, "nation's" of fans, doesn't translate into the lower levels of bball. Fans may not be as friendly to the ESPN-like invasion of their local teams as Berman, et.al., woulld have us believe.

More likely, it's just a matter of finances. Each minor league team is individually owned and controlled, not by an MLB team, but local ownership.
When that changes sometimes the affiliation also changes. Note the long-time Dodger/Albuquerque affiliation going to Portland a couple years ago.

The Sox once had farm teams in Indy, South Bend and a Wisconsin location IIRC. Thankfully, the Edmonton linkage has been severed,brrrr!

Fenway
03-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Perhaps the East Coast teams, "nation's" of fans, doesn't translate into the lower levels of bball. Fans may not be as friendly to the ESPN-like invasion of their local teams as Berman, et.al., woulld have us believe.

More likely, it's just a matter of finances. Each minor league team is individually owned and controlled, not by an MLB team, but local ownership.
When that changes sometimes the affiliation also changes. Note the long-time Dodger/Albuquerque affiliation going to Portland a couple years ago.

The Sox once had farm teams in Indy, South Bend and a Wisconsin location IIRC. Thankfully, the Edmonton linkage has been severed,brrrr!

The lure of the Red Sox and Yankees most certainly translate to the lower levels. The Red Sox even discovered that a farm team in Lancaster, California started drawing fans from Los Angeles 100 miles away.

I don't think any Kane County fans would be horrified if the team dropped Oakland for the White Sox.

California Sox
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
The lure of the Red Sox and Yankees most certainly translate to the lower levels. The Red Sox even discovered that a farm team in Lancaster, California started drawing fans from Los Angeles 100 miles away.

I don't think any Kane County fans would be horrified if the team dropped Oakland for the White Sox.

Lot of Boston folks out in LA. Lots of Chicagoans too. I bet a Cubs or Sox affiliate in the Cal League would draw too. I don't think there are that many Midwesterners living in North Carolina, but I could be wrong.

StillMissOzzie
03-16-2008, 05:03 PM
IMO, one reason that the majority of our minor league teams are grouped together would be to reduce travel expenses associated with with the minor league roving instructors. Another reason might be that the White Sox feel that the level of competition is better. Also with the teams being the south, the weather is generally warmer and more conductive for longer seasons. I know that the White Sox did have an "A" ball affiliation with South Bend for a while.

Not only the South Bend Silver Hawks, but the Sox also were affiliated with the Burlington (IA) Bees a few years back.

But it is kinda sad that the Cub fans get to see the Peoria Chiefs (managed by Ryne Sandberg) but the Sox fans get nothing in MWL play.

SMO
:(: