PDA

View Full Version : THIS is why

Agent 007
08-02-2001, 01:55 AM
For everyone out there who thinks people like me (ie, Jose Canseco fans) are crazy or ignorant or just plain silly, last night was a perfect example of why I'm a fan for life.

Sure, he may strike out a lot (almost as much as Ruth and Reggie) and his fielding is suspect. But every once in a while, Jose will do something truly magical and special that nobody else in the game is capapble of doing.

Hitting two home runs in a game is all fine and dandy, but doing it for those kids means so much more in life than any stupid game. Those kids survived CANCER, for God's sake, and last night was probably one of the most special nights of their lives. For me, I forgot about baseball and was simply in awe of how cool that must have been. Sometimes you just get a chance to witness something bigger than the game.

Sorry for the long-winded sermon. Now for the professionals:

(From ESPN.com)....

CHICAGO (AP) _ Think Jose Canseco's two homers were big? Imagine what they meant to the young cancer patients he talked to before the game.

After telling four cancer patients - all under the age of 16 - that he hoped to hit a home run for them, Canseco went out and homered in his first two at-bats Wednesday night as the Chicago White Sox beat the Kansas City Royals 7-6.

"I said hopefully I can hit a couple home runs for you guys tonight. But I also said, if I don't, watch batting practice because I'll probably hit a couple out in batting practice," Canseco said.

"Whether it was coincidental, whether it was luck or not, who knows? But like I said, I'm glad and happy for them it actually happened."

On Cancer Survivors Night, 450 patients and their families turned out at Comiskey Park. The children, two boys and two girls, were standing near the on-deck circle during batting practice, meeting the players and getting their autographs.

Canseco wasn't trying to be Babe Ruth, who reportedly once called a home run for a sick child. But he didn't waste any time making good on his word.

With two on and two outs in the first inning, he lofted an 0-2 pitch just over the left-field wall. Dee Brown jumped for the ball, but it sailed over his head for a three-run homer that tied the game at 3.

Told about Canseco's talk with the kids, teammate Ray Durham's eyes widened in disbelief.

"That's pretty impressive," Durham said, shaking his head. "If I said that and went out there, I think I'd be 0-for-4, 0-for-5."

And Canseco wasn't done. He hit a two-run homer in the third inning, giving the White Sox a 5-3 lead.

Canseco's 454 career home runs moved him past Carl Yastrzemski (452) for 22nd on the all-time list. The five RBIs gave Canseco a total of 1,378, passing Johnny Bench for 57th on the career chart.

The crowd of 15,620 gave Canseco a standing ovation when he came to the plate in the fifth inning for his third at-bat. He struck out, but the fans applauded him again as he walked back to the dugout. He got another ovation when he batted in the seventh, and he struck out.

The homers - both off Royals starter Chris George - were Canseco's seventh and eighth of the season.

"I think when Canseco got him in the first inning, it kind of put him on his heels a little bit," Royals manager Tony Muser said. "After the two-run homer, I'm not going to leave him out there to test him any more."

George, making his second major league start, lasted only three innings. George (0-2) gave up five runs - all on Canseco's two homers - and six hits.

"I used to collect Canseco baseball cards in high school," he said. "I tried to put that out of my head."

Not only did Canseco give the White Sox a rare feel-good moment in this ugly season, but he bailed out Wright.

"To say you'll hit a home run for someone and go out and do it, it had to have meant a lot," Durham said. "I'm pretty sure Jose's got fans for life."

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:07 AM
Not to ruin this good feeling but:
Told about Canseco's talk with the kids, teammate Ray Durham's eyes widened in disbelief. "That's pretty impressive," Durham said, shaking his head. "If I said that and went out there, I think I'd be 0-for-4, 0-for-5."

Ray you go 0-for-4 pretty much every damn night. Ok I feel better I just had to say that. Good game for us a big time thumbs up to Jose!!!!!!!

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 02:13 AM
Ray you go 0-for-4 pretty much every damn night.

Lol! Damn! That was my thought exactly when I read the Durham quote. Anyway, very nice what Canseco did for those kids tonight.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:17 AM
Lol! Damn! That was my thought exactly when I read the Durham quote.

Thanks Kempers.