PDA

View Full Version : Bedard finally traded to Mariners for 5 players.

Sockinchisox
02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
For Jones, Sherrill, Chris Tillman, Tony Butler, and Kam Mickolio.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2004172050_webbedard08.html

sox1970
02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
If Bedard and Hernandez stay off the DL, they gotta shot.

PalehosePlanet
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM
If Bedard and Hernandez stay off the DL, they gotta shot.

Without Jones and Jose Guillen (FA signed w/KC) who is left to play OF for them besides Ichiro? Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but does Willie Bloomquist start in RF? If so...uuggggh!!

I know they signed Wilkerson, but they might not have enough hitting to compete w/The Angels.

Also, this has to be the slowest/longest trade in baseball history.

Sockinchisox
02-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Without Jones and Jose Guillen (FA signed w/KC) who is left to play OF for them besides Ichiro? Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but does Willie Bloomquist start in RF? If so...uuggggh!!

I know they signed Wilkerson, but they might not have enough hitting to compete w/The Angels.

Also, this has to be the slowest/longest trade in baseball history.

They'll have Ibanez, Ichiro, and Wilkerson in the OF, and if Wilkerson fails they have that kid Balentin probably ready to step up.

Jjav829
02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
They'll have Ibanez, Ichiro, and Wilkerson in the OF, and if Wilkerson fails they have that kid Balentin probably ready to step up.

You left out Jeremy Reed.

The Mariners still need another bat. If they can find a way to add Jason Bay before the trade deadline, they could be dangerous.

Good trade, though. You have to like that 1-2 punch of Felix and Bedard.

Flight #24
02-08-2008, 02:35 PM
:KW
"Hello, Seattle? Nice move you made there. By the way, if you're interested I have a certified GG/Sliver Slugger caliber CF right here for you. All I want back is a lower prospect, you kknow - the kind not yet ready for the bigs but with potential. Balen-whoever would be fine. My guy? You'll love him, he's a pro's pro!"

:anderson:
"WC here I come!"

PalehosePlanet
02-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Ooops...forgot about Ibanez; although he should be the DH.

goofymsfan
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Ooops...forgot about Ibanez; although he should be the DH.

Should be, but unfortunately, we have Vidro doing that job. He hit for a decent average last year but didn't drive in many runs nor score many runs.

While I like the acquisition of Bedard, I don't like that it took 5 players to land 1 and at the expense of our bullpen. Last year the strength of the bullpen was one of the only highlights. George will be tough to replace. The M's do have a couple of options. Arthur Rhodes, if he can actually stay healthy (knocking on wood) and Eric O'Flaherty who at least now has some MLB experience.

As for outfield options, we have Balentien, Reed, Wilkerson, Morse, Jimerson, and who ever else they manage to find to go with Ichiro and Raul.