PDA

View Full Version : Moron vs. Clueless on Jim Rome

Chisox353014
04-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Anyone else catch this?
The topic: should Sammy be in the Hall of Fame?
Surprisingly, Clueless was arguing "no", citing all the things a Sox fan would say: one-dimensional, too many K's, bad team player, etc. Could we have been wrong about him?
Of course the Moron had Sham-Me's back. His main argument seemed to be that Sham-Me is a great "showman" and that baseball "needs him in this day and age", whatever that means. The funniest part was when he went out of his way to plug "Sammy vs. Barry Bonds at Wrigley this week". If he's not on the Flubs' payroll, he's doing a darn good job of pretending he is.

cheeses_h_rice
04-22-2002, 11:12 PM
Jay Mariotti obviously sounds like an astute observer of the game of baseball, and one who knows that the ultimate purpose of the game is for the TEAM to win. It's a wonder that Cooperstown hasn't hired him as a consultant.

doublem23
04-22-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Surprisingly, Clueless was arguing "no", citing all the things a Sox fan would say: one-dimensional, too many K's, bad team player, etc. Could we have been wrong about him?

LOL... He's just not on the Trib's payroll anymore :smile:

DVG
04-23-2002, 12:18 AM
I don't know what Skip Bayless articles you guys read, but
Skippy never liked Sosa when he was here. When the Cubs
were looking to deal him, Bayless was writing articles basically
being the company shill: saying the things he said on Jim Rome.
When the Yankees won the World Series in 2000, Bayless wrote
an article saying to the effect that they wouldn't have won it
with Sosa on the team because he would've disrupted the the
Yankees with his selfish style. Selfish player or no, what Bayless
did in that article was a slimy, agenda-driven hatchet job.
His articles were garbage.

As for the other one, he's very entertaining in a Bozo the Clown
kind of way. If someone for the White Sox were a showman in
the Sammy mode, he'd have been on Rome screaming that the
guy is a disgrace, run him out of baseball!!! And no one goes to
Comiskey because of the fights!!!! All the time fights!!!!!

:moron

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!! Go Sammy!!!!!!!
Break Hank Aaron's career record this year!!!!! Only 299 to go!!!!

kermittheefrog
04-23-2002, 12:23 AM
I don't like Sammy but we are talking about a guy who has had an amazing peak and will finish with 550+ homers. It's typical clueless to think the guy doesn't belong in the hall. If he wants to argue against Sosa he might as well come up with a better arguement than he was a one dimensional player.

Spiff
04-23-2002, 06:33 AM
I caught the end of it last night, four of the biggest idiots in sports journalism. Rome, Mariotti, Bayless, and Jason Whitlock (ughhh this guy is so unbelievably stupid).

I liked what Bayless said though when Mariotti said Sammy was a great showman and great for baseball etc. Skip said, "Great, then put him in the media Hall of Fame." Afterall, PR is what he really excels at.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-23-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
I ...I liked what Bayless said though when Mariotti said Sammy was a great showman and great for baseball etc. Skip said, "Great, then put him in the media Hall of Fame." Afterall, PR is what he really excels at.

Could we have been wrong about Skip Bayless?

Nah.

:clueless
"Please let me come back. My editor makes me empty all the wastebaskets on our floor."

FarWestChicago
04-23-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Could we have been wrong about Skip Bayless?

Nah.

:clueless
"Please let me come back. My editor makes me empty all the wastebaskets on our floor." Clueless is unhappy because he has made no splash at all out here. He can't even get anybody to hate him. It's like he doesn't exist. Sometimes the typical Californian apathy is a good thing. :smile:

Randar68
04-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If he wants to argue against Sosa he might as well come up with a better arguement than he was a one dimensional player.

Uhhh, I don't care what you say, but that's a good arguement for the HOF.

In an Era of inflated ERA's, dilluted pitching, smaller parks and shorter mounds, 550+ HR's doesn't mean a whole lot.

What apparently means a lot is:
1) Media likes you
2) You win, the veteran's weight this to a large extent
3) You were good teammate
4) You are successful in multiple facets of the game.

Sammy has thus far had 3 or 4 VERY good years, but this is out of a 10 or 12 year career where he has rediculous K totals and a career average in the .270 and lower range.

One dimensional in this era is a good arguement.

Big Mac Won a Gold Glove and a championship, Sammy has neither.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
...In an Era of inflated ERA's, dilluted pitching, smaller parks and shorter mounds, 550+ HR's doesn't mean a whole lot.

What apparently means a lot is:
1) Media likes you
2) You win, the veteran's weight this to a large extent
3) You were good teammate
4) You are successful in multiple facets of the game.

Sammy has thus far had 3 or 4 VERY good years, but this is out of a 10 or 12 year career where he has rediculous K totals and a career average in the .270 and lower range.

One dimensional in this era is a good arguement.

Big Mac Won a Gold Glove and a championship, Sammy has neither.

I agree with your points. McGwire has better HOF credentials for several reasons over So-so. Unfortunately Sam-me-me-me will probably still get HOF honors for reasons #1 (media likes you), and #3 (good teammate, though many would dispute this) that you listed above.

I'm betting Sosa goes in as a first-ballot nominee. The only thing that would derail him, IMO, is a major scandal that finally reveals him as the fraud we all know he is.

I define major scandal as conviction on a count related to spousal abuse, jail time from drug conviction, or early death from muscle enhancers (like Lyle Alzado's). Any one of these is possible given Shammy's track record.

:shammy
"Where there is smoke..."

ode to veeck
04-23-2002, 03:07 PM
Clueless is unhappy because he has made no splash at all out here. He can't even get anybody to hate him. It's like he doesn't exist. Sometimes the typical Californian apathy is a good thing.

I'm the antithesis of the apathetic Californian, but I've paid less attention to Clueless now that he's been working out here. In fact, if not for WSI--I would've long forgot he was here.

As much as I'm no big Sammy fan, there's no way he doesn't get in, unless he's caught selling players' jock straps to Pete Rose or something similar. HR hitters always got special treatment for HOF, & he'll be well up the all-time list and still have had some of the greatest single season HR marks when he retires. Why do you think they call him Clueless?

I'm glad to have totally missed any Clueless / Moronotti discussion (if that's not the tower or babel !)

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 03:24 PM
I hate the cubs as much as anyone, probably more than most really, but claiming Sammy isn't a hall of famer is a bit much. His career peak has been phenomenal, even with the inflated numbers all the old timers like to bitch about. Is he Barry Bonds? No of course not, he's not big Frank with the bat either. He is however a dominating player who hits for a tremendous amount of power and has almost miraculously learned how to take a walk over these last few years. the way his career has been going, even if he drops off a lot over the next few years,his career OPS is almost certainly going to go up.

Right now his career OPS is the 72nd highest of all time according to baseballreference.com, most of the men ahead of him are hall of famers, weird 19th century statistical oddities or guys who are killing the ball today, but will probably wind up being passed by Sosa when all is said and done. He's a great player, a Hall of Famer, is he the god the media sometimes makes him out to be? No, but that shouldn't take away from what he actually is.

Mathew
04-23-2002, 03:38 PM
He will go in thye hall but i don't really think he's that good, his defence is atrouchous, his strike outs are ridiculous and he's had a hall of fame half decade, not a HOF career. I'll take a stand with Clueless on this one and ask if he is really one of the greatest baseball players of all time. I think he's a greater show and gets to much credit for that.

Spiff
04-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Ichiro is 28, if he keeps up the same kind of numbers he has put up last year and this year until he is like 34-35, do you think he makes the hall of fame?

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
He will go in thye hall but i don't really think he's that good, his defence is atrouchous, his strike outs are ridiculous and he's had a hall of fame half decade, not a HOF career. I'll take a stand with Clueless on this one and ask if he is really one of the greatest baseball players of all time. I think he's a greater show and gets to much credit for that.

Sosa's defense is not as bad as people make it out to be. For the majority of his career any lapses he made in terms of throwing to the wrong bag, sometimes gettting a bad jump, etc., were more than made up for by his range. Even today carrying a lot more weight than he used to, he gets to the same number of flyballs that an average right fielder. his arm has always been good as well.

Strike outs aren't that big a deal, especially when you consider that it comes along with a hundred walks and 60 homeruns now adays. People always complain about Ks because they look bad, but I for one would be happier if Maggs struck out MORE and grounded into those damn DPs LESS. Even if we say each strike out is worth -1/10 of a run which is FAR more than any analyst has claimed that means it costs his team about 10-15 runs a season, not nothing, but certainly less than the runs he creates due to the homeruns that result from swinging so hard. Strikeouts aren't pretty to look at but who cares, they really aren't that big of a deal. Babe Ruth was first or second in the league in strikeouts 13 times in his career and I don't hear people saying he doesn;t belong inthe hall. Mind you I'm not saying Sosa is equivalent to Ruth, but I think you guys are just picking on one thing because you don't like the guy.

Oh if you don't think a good (check that, excellent) half decade should get you into the hall then you should kick out Sandy Koufax, Hack Wilson, and a bunch of other guys who got in because of a great run of a few seasons. Is Sosa an inner circle one of the top 5 or 10 of all time, no but unless his career ends tomorrow he is a no doubt about it Hall of Famer.

As for the other post, Ichiro is going to have to play ten seasons to be eligible for the hall. If he keeps up his current rate of production he definitely has a chance (he is after all the most overrated player in baseball) but I can't help but think he's going to drop big time when he loses a step as he ages. 6 more seasons like lasyt year followed by at least 5 more seasons of decent to good production probably gets him in the Hall. Will he deserve it, well he won;t be the worst guy in there, but he'll be worse than other guys who don't make it in.

OfficerKarkovice
04-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Zednem700

Strike outs aren't that big a deal, especially when you consider that it comes along with a hundred walks and 60 homeruns now adays.

Just for the record Sosa has walked 100 times exactly once in his career (last year) but yes you have some valid points.

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Just for the record Sosa has walked 100 times exactly once in his career (last year) but yes you have some valid points.

true, but he walked 116 times last year an excellent total, and he walked 91 times the year before that. The two years before that he walked 78 and 73 times which although not phenomenal are very good rates. Those two smaller numbers are also more than Maggs or Konerko have ever walked in a season. I'm not trying to say Sosa is a Big Hurt like walker, nobody is, what I am saying is he has walked a lot recently which shows he is a damn good hitter. Frankly he could walk zero times a season and still be valuable, 60 homeruns are worth an awful lot.

Tragg
04-23-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
. His main argument seemed to be that Sham-Me is a great "showman" and that baseball "needs him in this day and age", whatever that means.

Last year while he called the Sox scum, he referred to samMe as "that delightful sportsman"

Mathew
04-23-2002, 10:37 PM

Oh if you don't think a good (check that, excellent) half decade should get you into the hall then you should kick out Sandy Koufax, Hack Wilson, and a bunch of other guys who got in because of a great run of a few seasons. Is Sosa an inner circle one of the top 5 or 10 of all time, no but unless his career ends tomorrow he is a no doubt about it Hall of Famer.

Since when is it a given for certain players to be elected into the hall. Kick the other players who didn't have hall of fame careers out too! Strikeouts do mean a lot, uhhhh let's elect Phil Nevin, Jeremy Burnitz, Ritchie Sexson and Russ Branyan. I'm being a bit fecechous(sp?) but his 60 HRs came in a lot of situations too as in curtain calls when his team loses by 10, who cares if he hit 2 or 3 homeruns against the bull pen that is throwing crap to end the game. Yes it's the same for everyone, but if you are quantifying K's lets not overplay excellent home run hitters by calling the excellent baseball players, if we did Millwakee would have won the WS last year and Seattle would still suck.

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 11:06 PM

Since when is it a given for certain players to be elected into the hall. Kick the other players who didn't have hall of fame careers out too! Strikeouts do mean a lot, uhhhh let's elect Phil Nevin, Jeremy Burnitz, Ritchie Sexson and Russ Branyan. I'm being a bit fecechous(sp?) but his 60 HRs came in a lot of situations too as in curtain calls when his team loses by 10, who cares if he hit 2 or 3 homeruns against the bull pen that is throwing crap to end the game. Yes it's the same for everyone, but if you are quantifying K's lets not overplay excellent home run hitters by calling the excellent baseball players, if we did Millwakee would have won the WS last year and Seattle would still suck.

Could you please tell me what a Hall of Fame Career is. Since you argue that Sosa does not appear on pace for one I'd really like to see who you think deserves to be in there. besides Koufax, and Hack Wilson we'd have to kick out Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Kirby Puckett, Nellie Fox, Nolan Ryan, Carlton Fisk, gosh and a bunch of others to because well all of those guys have been less valuable in their careers than Sosa is very likely to be in his. (again a castrophic injury or something like that changes everything)

You say strikeouts mean a lot and then list a bunch of names, wow what a powerful argument. I can do the same thing, strikeouts don't mean a lot, Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Willie Stargell, Mark Mcgwire, Mickey Mantle, all of those guys averaged at least 100ks a season (except Ruth, and he led the league in Ks 13 times) and I would take that line-up in a heartbeat. the problem isn't that the guys on your list struck out too much, the problem is that they didn't WALK enough. You give those guys Sammy's walk rate the last few years and you're looking at a Milwaukee team with an awesome lineup. Also none of those guys have ever hit 50 homeruns in a season I believe, let alone 66, 63, 50, 64 like Sosa did in consecutive seasons.

Finally you claim that Sammy got his homeruns in junk time against nobodies. You made a claim, I'd like to see some evidence please. He's hit a lot of homeruns recently there should be tons of evidence, and don't give me anecdotal stuff either, there are box scores and game breakdowns on the net, you claim he gets the homeruns in junk time, prove it, I'm not going to just take your word for it.

Finally EVEN IF he gets all those homeruns in junk time, why is he the only player who can do it? He's still the only player in history to have done what he's done, what makes him so special, what type of magic dust gets sprinkled on him where he turns from scrub to superstar when the game gets out of hand. No other player in baseball history could do this, its such a rare skill that it alone might merit induction in the hall.

P.S. facetious

Randar68
04-23-2002, 11:14 PM
we'd have to kick out Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Kirby Puckett, Nellie Fox, Nolan Ryan, Carlton Fisk

LOL, you picked a bunch of guys that outside of Puckett had HOF careers because 1) They revolutionized a position, 2) Were great defensive players, 3) Changed the face of the game, 4) set HR records over the course of a pretty good 20 year career, etc. You picked the wrong set of guys to try to prove your point...

Finally you claim that Sammy got his homeruns in junk time against nobodies. You made a claim, I'd like to see some evidence please.

Please see today's Box Score...

No other player in baseball history could do this, its such a rare skill that it alone might merit induction in the hall.

Please, do you know the dimensions of stadiums like Yankee Stadium in the "dead ball era???"

FarWestChicago
04-23-2002, 11:18 PM

Finally EVEN IF he gets all those homeruns in junk time, why is he the only player who can do it? Incredible amounts of steroids?

Mathew
04-23-2002, 11:22 PM

Could you please tell me what a Hall of Fame Career is. Since you argue that Sosa does not appear on pace for one I'd really like to see who you think deserves to be in there. besides Koufax, and Hack Wilson we'd have to kick out Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Kirby Puckett, Nellie Fox, Nolan Ryan, Carlton Fisk, gosh and a bunch of others to because well all of those guys have been less valuable in their careers than Sosa is very likely to be in his. (again a castrophic injury or something like that changes everything)

You say strikeouts mean a lot and then list a bunch of names, wow what a powerful argument. I can do the same thing, strikeouts don't mean a lot, Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Willie Stargell, Mark Mcgwire, Mickey Mantle, all of those guys averaged at least 100ks a season (except Ruth, and he led the league in Ks 13 times) and I would take that line-up in a heartbeat. the problem isn't that the guys on your list struck out too much, the problem is that they didn't WALK enough. You give those guys Sammy's walk rate the last few years and you're looking at a Milwaukee team with an awesome lineup. Also none of those guys have ever hit 50 homeruns in a season I believe, let alone 66, 63, 50, 64 like Sosa did in consecutive seasons.

Finally you claim that Sammy got his homeruns in junk time against nobodies. You made a claim, I'd like to see some evidence please. He's hit a lot of homeruns recently there should be tons of evidence, and don't give me anecdotal stuff either, there are box scores and game breakdowns on the net, you claim he gets the homeruns in junk time, prove it, I'm not going to just take your word for it.

Finally EVEN IF he gets all those homeruns in junk time, why is he the only player who can do it? He's still the only player in history to have done what he's done, what makes him so special, what type of magic dust gets sprinkled on him where he turns from scrub to superstar when the game gets out of hand. No other player in baseball history could do this, its such a rare skill that it alone might merit induction in the hall.

P.S. facetious

I can see that you are very happy with yourself so at least this thred boosted your self esteem, I don't need to tell myself how smart I am and I have better things to do than look up old box score to convince myself of my own self worth, I disagree with you, you with me, since there isn't set criteria for selection that is what the actual vote is like. Most of the people you mentioned belong there although most I have only seen on clips so I won't go into them. If you are so intent on carrying in find out what his home runs and strike outs are worth yourself. Have fun french kissing Sammy Sosa's A**hole.

P.S. go ahead and spell check this post too since it will be my last on the thread, it will be your last chance to taech me english.

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 11:28 PM

LOL, you picked a bunch of guys that outside of Puckett had HOF careers because 1) They revolutionized a position, 2) Were great defensive players, 3) Changed the face of the game, 4) set HR records over the course of a pretty good 20 year career, etc. You picked the wrong set of guys to try to prove your point...

Why is being a great defensive player better than being a good power hitter? Also the argument I was replying to only involved pure career quality nothing else, believe me there are a lot more guys I could name, those were just the first off the top of my head that had less purely valuable careers than Sosa is likely to have. Also, no one I listed with the possible exception of Robinson (and that's a stretch since most of his groundbreaking came at the plate and on the basepaths) revolutionized a position. None of the others changed the face of the game either, and you'd be hard pressed to claim that they did so since other players before them and contemporarily with them had similar careers.

[B]

Please see today's Box Score...

I specifically said that anecdotal evidence is not acceptable. EVERY player who has played the game has had good individual games when it didn't really make a difference on the outcome. You need to show me that Sosa does this consistently, and what's more, MORE frequently than average for it to count against him.

[B]

Please, do you know the dimensions of stadiums like Yankee Stadium in the "dead ball era???"

What the heck does that have to do with anything??? Are you trying to claim that deadball hitters would all be hitting more homeruns than Sosa today? Again that makes NO SENSES since the players of TODAY don't consitently hit as many homeruns as Sosa.

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Incredible amounts of steroids?

Again, if true the question remains why does Sammy have steroids that only kick in during meaningless parts of meaningless games, one would think all of the roid raging players in the ML would also be taking these magical drugs so they can boost their numbers in time for a new contract.

FarWestChicago
04-23-2002, 11:36 PM

Again, if true the question remains why does Sammy have steroids that only kick in during meaningless parts of meaningless games, one would think all of the roid raging players in the ML would also be taking these magical drugs so they can boost their numbers in time for a new contract. :moron

Preach it, Brother! It's always good to find another who worships The God Who Walks The Earth.

:knue

Hey, I've got a web site you'll love. Come on down:

Sammy Lover's Heaven (http://www.chicagosports.com)

Daver
04-23-2002, 11:42 PM

Again, if true the question remains why does Sammy have steroids that only kick in during meaningless parts of meaningless games, one would think all of the roid raging players in the ML would also be taking these magical drugs so they can boost their numbers in time for a new contract.

No,most MLB players are smart enough to avoid them for the price you pay at the end,these guys make great money to play a game that most of us would do for a fraction of the money they make,unless you have an ego the size of a small country that forces you to try and be larger than life.Mark Magwire could have continued on his pace of playing 90 games a year and hitting 40 HR's to stroke his ego,but chose to accept the effects of the steroids and retire,I doubt Shammes ego will allow that.

Randar68
04-23-2002, 11:47 PM

Many players do use steroids to an extent, it's undeniable until baseball tries to validate themselves as a sport. However, most do not abuse them as Sammy has.

As for the walks, it's not hard to walk 100 times in a season when they don't throw the ball close enough to the plate to hit with a ten foot pole. Who are they afraid of driving him in if he does get on base?

In late game situations, when the game is already decided, they pitch to him because a solo shot or 2-run dinger does not effect the outcome, they want to get outs and end it. So, Sammyu gets good pitches to hit.

Zednem700
04-23-2002, 11:51 PM

I can see that you are very happy with yourself so at least this thred boosted your self esteem, I don't need to tell myself how smart I am and I have better things to do than look up old box score to convince myself of my own self worth, I disagree with you, you with me, since there isn't set criteria for selection that is what the actual vote is like. Most of the people you mentioned belong there although most I have only seen on clips so I won't go into them. If you are so intent on carrying in find out what his home runs and strike outs are worth yourself. Have fun french kissing Sammy Sosa's A**hole.

P.S. go ahead and spell check this post too since it will be my last on the thread, it will be your last chance to taech me english.

?????!!!!! What the hell are you talking about?!? you made a claim that I didn't agree with and because I believe in dialogue instead of just making statements that aren't backed up, I said you'd have to give me evidence before I'd believe you. How does this have anything to do with making myself feel smart? I don't need to do work to find out how much strikeouts and homeruns are worth, that's been done by a lot of researchers far better at that sort of thing than I am. Basically they all agree that homeruns are very very good, and strikeouts aren't that bad the only disagreements between them usually comes down to tenths or even hundredths of a run.

I didn't spell check your email or mine for that matter. You wrote a word with an (sp?) next to it, I've always worked under the assumption that that is a question of how to spell a word. In all of my previous internet experience that's how its been treated by me when I saw it, and by others when I wrote it. there is no offense intended, its the equivalent of replying when someone asks "hey how do you spell X?"

Finally I'm sorry but your reaction to my post was incredibly over sensitive and very immature. Someone disagrees with your position and asks you to back it up, and you come back with "have fun kissing Sammy's A**hole"? Grow up.

nut_stock
04-23-2002, 11:53 PM

As for the walks, it's not hard to walk 100 times in a season when they don't throw the ball close enough to the plate to hit with a ten foot pole. Who are they afraid of driving him in if he does get on base?

I have to agree. I watched tonight's game and noticed that the batter's boxes seemed to be closer to the plate than they used to be. Maybe Im wrong, but they looked like they bordered the plate. I know when I used to umpire little league (granted it's just little league) the batter's box wasn't that close to the plate.

Zednem700
04-24-2002, 12:01 AM

Many players do use steroids to an extent, it's undeniable until baseball tries to validate themselves as a sport. However, most do not abuse them as Sammy has.

In late game situations, when the game is already decided, they pitch to him because a solo shot or 2-run dinger does not effect the outcome, they want to get outs and end it. So, Sammyu gets good pitches to hit.

Frankly I have no trouble believing that players are using steroids, since there is an obvious short term benefit, and essentially no risk of being caught, its only logical some will go for the edge. What i do have a problem with is claims about specific players when you really don't know. maybe Sammy uses steroids, maybe he doens't. To claim that he not only does, but clearly uses them more than other players is both baseless and incredibly unfair. Its a serious accusation, I don;t think its right to throw it at ANYONE without more than just a sneaking suspicion.

Again the late game situation claim needs proof. I can say the same thing about every hitter ever, without proof its an empty statement.

I believe only 5 players in the NL got 100 or more walks last season its clearly not that easy. What's more Sosa scored 146 runs last season, so clearly SOMEBODY had to be driving him in.