PDA

View Full Version : Pedro Martinez, Juan Marichal Involved In Cockfighting

Fenway
02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Somebody posted a video of Pedro and Juan at a cockfight in the DR. You Tube has pulled it.

Now cockfighting is legal in the DR but a chicken is still a life like a dog. Will anything come of this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3234767

tstrike2000
02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Sounds like they had a rooster of a time.

Nellie_Fox
02-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Somebody posted a video of Pedro and Juan at a cockfight in the DR. You Tube has pulled it.

Now cockfighting is legal in the DR but a chicken is still a life like a dog. Will anything come of this?Hey, that's "cultural diversity" in action. Like you said, it's legal there, and not only that, it's perfectly accepted.

There will surely be some fans turn on them for it, but I don't think MLB or any teams can do anything about it.

tstrike2000
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey, that's "cultural diversity" in action. Like you said, it's legal there, and not only that, it's perfectly accepted.

Yep. My dad would tell me stories when he was stationed in the Phillipines with the Marines in the 60's where cockfighting there was just an everyday tradition.

FedEx227
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
For the eventual "then whats the problem with Vick doing what he did". Well what Vick did was in the United States and is a felony crime, even if it is the culture.

While Pedro was doing something equally morally wrong, he was doing it in another country where it's perfectly legal.

Oblong
02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
And he's also a citizen of that country, right? That further cements the "nothing to see here" argument. Outside of taunts from fans I don't see much happening.

spawn
02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
For the eventual "then whats the problem with Vick doing what he did". Well what Vick did was in the United States and is a felony crime, even if it is the culture.

While Pedro was doing something equally morally wrong, he was doing it in another country where it's perfectly legal.
That's very true...The thing is, most people weren't looking at it from a legality issue. They were looking at it as cruelty to animals. Granted, I think this is a big time non-issue, but it will be interesting to see if the animal cruelty lovers come out against this. Aside from PETA, I doubt it. Chickens/roosters aren't considered pets...they're considered dinner.

bigsoxfan420
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
When we were in the DR a couple of years ago we when on a tour (in the back of a safari truck) and the guide told us that the number one sport in the country is baseball, followed by cockfighting, then soccer. he seemed embarrased that cockfighting was still legal.

As for what will happen to Juan and Pedro, probably nothing, since it was in another country. But is suspect they will "appologize" for their actions.

mrfourni
02-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I hear "Little Pedro Martinez" was entered in the cockfight in order to get a bounced check off the wall of a local market.

NardiWasHere
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I hear "Little Pedro Martinez" was entered in the cockfight in order to get a bounced check off the wall of a local market.

KRAMER: Well, I thought they wore gloves and helmets, you know, like "American Gladiators."

TDog
02-07-2008, 04:49 PM
When I lived in Arizona, there was a ballot initiative proposing to outlaw cockfighting. It was defeated. I don't know if cockfighting is still legal in Arizona. Certainly it should be, but even so, it has much greater acceptance in the Dominican Republic. I don't even see an apology forthcoming out of this.

I found myself at a legal cockfight once in Mexicali, Baja Calif. I was part of a delegation from Yuma at this Mexican state fair in November 1984. They took us into an amphitheater where we were to hear a popular singer perform (we missed Vicki Carr, who performed earlier in the week). But first, there were the cockfights, with people throwing tennis balls up in the crowd for spectators who wanted to bet. Nasty business. I was sitting next to the mayor of Yuma, who was enjoying himself.

I voted for the cockfighting ban in Arizona. I'm guessing the neighbor who sometimes let his rooster out in his front yard canceled out my vote.

Trav
02-07-2008, 04:54 PM
When I lived in Arizona, there was a ballot initiative proposing to outlaw cockfighting. It was defeated. I don't know if cockfighting is still legal in Arizona. Certainly it should be, but even so, it has much greater acceptance in the Dominican Republic. I don't even see an apology forthcoming out of this.

I found myself at a legal cockfight once in Mexicali, Baja Calif. I was part of a delegation from Yuma at this Mexican state fair in November 1984. They took us into an amphitheater where we were to hear a popular singer perform (we missed Vicki Carr, who performed earlier in the week). But first, there were the cockfights, with people throwing tennis balls up in the crowd for spectators who wanted to bet. Nasty business. I was sitting next to the mayor of Yuma, who was enjoying himself.

I voted for the cockfighting ban in Arizona. I'm guessing the neighbor who sometimes let his rooster out in his front yard canceled out my vote.

There isn't anything wrong with cockfighting, most of the time they don't have any weapons attached to them.

LA was the last state to ban it, effective 1JAN08.

ksimpson14
02-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Vick would still have the same outrage attached if he did it in some country where it was legal

People don't care as much about roosters compared to dogs though, that's obvious (maybe a little hypocritical, but yeah),

Wonder if Pedro will get any crap. Was trying to think of some devil's advocate type of arguments, and even though it's different, I was thinking, if a player goes to Amsterdam, gets his drug on for fun, and then tests positive here, he's still in deep ****. I know, it's nothing like this, I guess something would have to be stated in his contract

Tragg
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
There isn't anything wrong with cockfighting, most of the time they don't have any weapons attached to them.

LA was the last state to ban it, effective 1JAN08.
It's legal down here in La until August, and metal spurs are frequently used. I don't know that the spurs make it better or worse - they'd just peck each other til death without them.
It's interesting to observe - I've been a couple of times.
IT's also animal cruelty.

goon
02-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Little Pedro was born to cockfight.

QCIASOXFAN
02-08-2008, 12:44 AM
They attended a cockfight in a country where this is legal and a sport. I'm pretty sure this won't be anything.

slavko
02-08-2008, 12:55 AM

Saw fighting chix in Guadalajara at the "Plaza de Gallos." Tennis balls used there, too. Sort of humorous, if you could overlook angry chickens with spurs trying to kill each other. Started an hour late, like lots of stuff in Guadalajara. Good one-time experience for local color, don't have it on my schedule Anytime Soon Now.

moochpuppy
02-08-2008, 01:34 AM
There isn't anything wrong with cockfighting

This happens in most bars every weekend in America to see who gets to go home with the girl. :redneck

Railsplitter
02-08-2008, 07:25 AM
A loser in a cockfight probably isn't good eating.

Frater Perdurabo
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Jim Thome swatted a fly yesterday. Does that mean he'll be the next one dragged before the court of public opinion? :redneck

Let me add that I find dogfighting and cockfighting to be repulsive, but I sincerely wonder, at what phylum does an act of violence upon an animal become immoral?

D. TODD
02-08-2008, 09:56 AM

While Pedro was doing something equally morally wrong, he was doing it in another country where it's perfectly legal.Well, cock fighting is still legal here in Louisiana as well, at least until April.

skottyj242
02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I almost went to a bull fight when I was in Mexico but we thought it was the wrong day.

Fenway
02-08-2008, 11:30 AM
The video is back online

judge for yourself........

WARNING it isn't pretty

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/02/the-pedro-martinez-cockfighting-video.php

kittle42
02-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Who gives a ****? PETA should go to the Dominican Republic and complain if they want to change things, NOT to MLB.

batmanZoSo
02-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Meh. They're just chickens. We butcher those things by the millions every day. What can you do? I don't think it's inconsistent to allow this and criminalize dog fighting. But maybe that's just me.

kaufsox
02-08-2008, 12:42 PM
They attended a cockfight in a country where this is legal and a sport. I'm pretty sure this won't be anything.

Just like Ozzie going to a bull fight, no? Legal, part of the culture in said country. Like everybody's been saying, "nothing to see here."

Fenway
02-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Meh. They're just chickens. We butcher those things by the millions every day. What can you do? I don't think it's inconsistent to allow this and criminalize dog fighting. But maybe that's just me.

There is a famous sign in my hometown of Cambridge.

Store now happily sells tshirts and thongs with the slogan
http://www.mayflowerpoultry.com/t-shirts_hats_and_more.html

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1077/809718916_4c98334be5.jpg

02-08-2008, 12:48 PM
This might come off as an awful thing to say but I don't regard Chickens in the same regards as Dogs. Ever have a pet chicken or eat a dog at Kentucky Fried Dogs?

soxfan13
02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
*biting tongue biting tongue*:tongue:

pierzynski07
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Pedro: "I understand that people are upset, but that is part of our Dminican culture and is legal in the Dominican Republic. I was invited by my idol, Juan Marichal, to attend the event as a spectator, not as a participant."

Also, I agree with a few others here: we kill and fry chickens quite a bit here in the US, and the same can't be said for dogs.

Fenway
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
This might come off as an awful thing to say but I don't regard Chickens in the same regards as Dogs. Ever have a pet chicken or eat a dog at Kentucky Fried Dogs?

It seems there are a lot of pet chickens in Chicago

http://cbs2chicago.com/pets/pet.chicken.ban.2.609579.html

BadBobbyJenks
02-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Chinese people eat dogs so who cares about what Michael Vick did?

Just kidding.

Hitmenof77
02-11-2008, 02:32 PM
This is so stupid. Pedro did something that is legal in another country. A country he is a citizen of. What's the big deal?

Many countries do things we may find disgusting but who are we to say it's wrong? Thailand they sell their daughters as sex slaves. Many of the former communist countries, women go into the sex trade. Drugs are legal in some European countries. In some countries people eat dogs. In some countries they worship the cow and wouldn't touch a steak or burger.

Basically don't be an ******* and judge what others do in their country.

Oblong
02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Put another way... if a player were from Amsterdam was back there during the off season and took in those things that makes Amerstdam "special", would it be a story? Should it be a story?

Nellie_Fox
02-11-2008, 03:38 PM
...who are we to say it's wrong? Thailand they sell their daughters as sex slaves.I'm willing to draw a line here and risk being culturally insensitive. It's wrong.

BadBobbyJenks
02-12-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm willing to draw a line here and risk being culturally insensitive. It's wrong.

As am I, was that guy saying Americans should except one of our athletes going off to Thailand and buying 13 year old sex slaves because he didnt do it here?

TheVulture
02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm willing to draw a line here and risk being culturally insensitive. It's wrong.

What are you talking about? Sex slavery is just like legal drugs, eating dog and vegetarianism.

Oblong
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Is it even legal in Thailand or is that an urban legend?

Jaffar
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
As am I, was that guy saying Americans should except one of our athletes going off to Thailand and buying 13 year old sex slaves because he didnt do it here?

Only if he is a citizen of said country....